PDA

View Full Version : Course 208 at the College

Aerodave
14th Apr 2006, 18:18
Hi Guys

Would just like to hear from anyone who is starting on course 208 down at the college, might be nice to hear from some of you guys before we turn up on the 26th of June.

Also would any of you non CATC virgins like to give us any advice stemming from your time at the college, such as people not to piss off and good places to eat and live.

Cheers

Aerodave :)

Scuzi
14th Apr 2006, 18:28
The best advice I was given before starting at CATC was to 'remain grey'. Don't stand out from the crowd for the wrong reasons, just blend into the background and you should get on fine :ok:

Choosing a place to live depends entirely on your circumstances but most students live in one of the B&B's on Westby Road in Boscombe. It's handy for getting together to study and even handier for getting out on the many piss ups!:}

Keep your head in the books, remain grey and above all try to enjoy it.

Good luck.

Messi
14th Apr 2006, 22:45
Hi,
Does anyone know if this course has been filled yet? I've got a medical in early May, so (given that i get the class 1 obviously) i hope to be starting with you.
Would be interested to know when/if someone is told that the course is full.
Hopefully see you there! :ok:

Quincy M.E.
15th Apr 2006, 11:02
I thought that the next course after 27th March was end of July. Is this not the case?

Aerodave
15th Apr 2006, 12:52
I got my contract of employment through and it has me starting with the induction week on the 26th of June and starting at the college the following week....it does seem bizarre because I was always under the impression that the course began at the end of July.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Aerodave

foghorn
15th Apr 2006, 14:31
Courses normally run every three months. Hence the end of June, I would expect.

rob_mitch
15th Apr 2006, 16:49
Hello, I will also be on course 208.

My initial offer also says that the course starts at New Place on 26th June. Really looking forward to starting - only ten weeks away now but still seems so far away! I have my medical this coming Friday, hopefully that will not present any problems that prevent me from getting in.

See you soon(ish), Rob.

45 before POL
15th Apr 2006, 18:18
Hi Aerodave, well done on getting this far. As said before "grey man" does seem to be many peoples way. Knuckle down work hard and then... play hard. The courses ahead of you will no doubt show you the sights.
Atitude also can play a big part, and even when the going can get tough remain positive. Guess you guys and girls will be on the new salary so for the nine months you will probably find the B&B's in Westby Rd affordable, generally around £70-£100 a week. Good luck and see you at the units next April:ok:

I'm not joking sir
18th Apr 2006, 07:57
Also would any of you non CATC virgins like to give us any advice stemming from your time at the college, such as people not to piss off

Absolutely everybody.

Deadwood
18th Apr 2006, 09:26
If you think you know something - pretend you don't. Until the exams and Oral boards come around anyway :eek:
Don't be a smart arse. If you've got a PPL, the less people who know, the better.

2 sheds
19th Apr 2006, 08:07
....FEWER !

Spamcan defender
19th Apr 2006, 09:33
Would also add that during post-sim debriefs, take heed (or at the very least APPEAR to) of the instructors comments. A cursory non-confrontational smile and nod of head works wonders. I know that this may sound obvious to most but there were a couple on my course (1 in particular) who decided that they didn't agree with the instructors comments and walked out mid debrief. I kid you not........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . The other thought it would be a great idea to quite agressively argue his point during another debrief. Needless to say both were branded as trouble and their path through the college was less than smooth shall we say :hmm: .
Dont go in with the attitude that you know it all even if you're, by some quirk of fate, in the position that you do. Some instructors have ego's that they like to have massaged regularly. I seem to remember we had an ex Mil Area instructor on our course and he was the opitome of humility. A totally down to earth chap who took on board (he probably used the 'appeared to' approach :) ) everything the instructors had to say.
In short, nod and smile when necessary. Dont be afraid to ask relevant questions but ask them in a way so that you dont get anyone's back up.
Hope this helps a bit.
Spamcan
P.S. Good Luck :ok: :ok:

Gonzo
19th Apr 2006, 11:04
To lead on from that, I'd suggest not only 'appearing' to take heed of instructors' advice.......Definitely take heed of it. One guess as to who will be marking your assessed runs.....

tired-flyboy
20th Apr 2006, 19:38
ON the flip side, if you do have a problem with anyone either other course members or instructors (remember personality clashes do happen) then the sooner you get it sorted out the better you will be able to get on with the course.
There is nothing worse than sitting down for a summative and dreading who is going to sit next to you.
Suczi has got it right be grey, but if you think that and instructor is wrong either raise your mit in class (if your brave enough) or ask at the end of the lecture.
If you don't feel that you can approach that instructor then go and ask another one - they'll either help you or point you in the direction of somebody who can.
Above all ENJOY the course it is hard work but can be rewarding when you get into the real world!
:ok: