PDA

View Full Version : Next French Strike

flowman
24th Mar 2006, 15:06
The next French strike is scheduled for Tuesday 28th March. There will be a meeting later on today to discuss the possible impact, a NOTAM is expected to be issued after that meeting.
The general feeling is that this strike will be better supported than the last one. Instead of the 30% reduction in schedules requested last time (20% in the afternoon) it is thought the French authorities will be requesting a 40% reduction for this strike (30% in the afternoon). Paris is expected to be particularly badly affected.
I will post more on the subject later if I receive any further information.

ZBMAN
24th Mar 2006, 15:08
Oh crap looks like it's gonna be Tango 9 to Spain then for me on Tuesday:mad::mad::mad:. Or maybe 2 or 3 hours delay:{

BRISTOLRE
24th Mar 2006, 15:24
from what I hear from a buddy in Paris, its probably going to be a big one. (strike)

flowman
24th Mar 2006, 16:14
The NOTAM number is A1128/06.
The strike is to run from 27th 1600 to 29th 0500 (UTC).

Le Pen
27th Mar 2006, 07:31
Any updates on this??

EGBKFLYER
27th Mar 2006, 07:54
Just to clarify - the NOTAM is valid between the times Flowman states - the strike is 24 hours.

Belle of the Boeing
27th Mar 2006, 08:34
How badly affected is CDG going to be do you think? Will flights still get in and out but with long delays or will some need to be cancelled?

Stick Flying
27th Mar 2006, 08:36
Anyone know the start time of the strike or is it at any stage between those times running for 24h.

wiggy
27th Mar 2006, 08:56
Guys
The start time for ATC purposes has already been posted in this thread ............it is supposed to start tonight, carry through the whole of tomorrow and end early Am Wednesday.

As for the effects - who knows. ATC may well be aiming to run a reduced service but bear in mind that security staff, caterers and drivers may not turn up for work - so who knows what the effect will be? What is for sure is that some non-French airlines (well one in particular I know of:) will make a decision in a few hours to perhaps tactically cancel flights later today, to avoid getting aircraft and crews out of position.

As for CDG - I would imagine it will be even worse than usual:hmm:

flowman
27th Mar 2006, 10:10
The first regulations and closures are being applied now.
Strike starts to take an effect from 1630.

All Ahead Full
27th Mar 2006, 18:18
looking bad - first BA flight out of CDG (7.40) - cancelled according to the BA site.... not much hope for my midday flight...

Belle of the Boeing
27th Mar 2006, 19:19
Had a look at BA's website and most of the flights this afternoon haven't been hit too bad, with the exception of the LHR, its picked up delays all day.

flowman
29th Mar 2006, 19:13
I've just turned up for a night shift to find that they seem to be making a long weekend of it!
The last strike ended at 0500 this morning. The current strike started at 1600 and is NOTAMed to run until April 1st at 0600.
It would be easier if they sent a NOTAM letting us know when they ARE working.
Delays into Orly and Marseille tomorrow are pretty horrendous.:*

Pain in the R's
31st Mar 2006, 06:04
I wonder how many times French ATC go on strike each year. The country seems to be in permanent turmoil and it is always the Brits that seem to suffer.

flowman
31st Mar 2006, 07:23
Sorry chaps, I'm not at work again until Monday so can't really answer your questions. Good timing or what!:ok:

DC10RealMan
31st Mar 2006, 07:36
At the risk of being "off message" if we British ATCers had taken a leaf out of the French book against our privatisation, the changing of our pension scheme, and other issues perhaps we would not be in our present state where we are so demoralised and the sole topic of conversation in many cases is how soon we can get out.

radeng
31st Mar 2006, 10:21
The French colleagues I was with yesterday told me that for some complex reason, French strikes are Tuesdays and Thursdays. It looks like they'll be going on for a while - so I've changed my Thursday flight from Brest next week to Friday.

RebornCyclogenesis
31st Mar 2006, 10:42
DC10REALMAN...If it stinks that much then leave...I am sure that there will be plenty of others that would want to take on your, huge salary, pension, shares, sports facilities, social facilities, subsidised restaurant, subsidised dry cleaner, parking facilities, free internet access, air conditioned luxury, occaisional free coffee, subsidised starbucks, stripy pass holders, STRATCOH (sp) breaks, strong union and the large quantity of fit birds! Stop bl**dy moaning and try working for a living.

carrots
31st Mar 2006, 10:49
DC10REALMAN...If it stinks that much then leave...I am sure that there will be plenty of others that would want to take on your, huge salary, pension, shares, sports facilities, social facilities, subsidised restaurant, subsidised dry cleaner, parking facilities, free internet access, air conditioned luxury, occaisional free coffee, subsidised starbucks, stripy pass holders, STRATCOH (sp) breaks, strong union and the large quantity of fit birds! Stop bl**dy moaning and try working for a living.
Clearly written by somebody who doesn't use the services of ATC.
Controllers deserve every penny, especially the British.
"Good morning XXX, London Contol"......ahhh, and relax.:p

RebornCyclogenesis
31st Mar 2006, 11:05
Carrots,

No I don't use the services of UK ATC...I am part of UKATC!

Thank you for your comment that you find the service we provide, is of a high quality, unfortunately there are some, who are starting to believe their own press! NATS is not a bad employer.

ukatco_535
31st Mar 2006, 11:22
RebornCyclogenesis

NATS is not a bad employer

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but do you work for NATS. Are you currently affected by the issues that are prevalant?

Stop bl**dy moaning and try working for a living.

From this quote, I assume (not always a good idea I admit) that you are either non NATS, or you do not work at a Band 5 unit.

DC10RealMan and his colleagues work bloody hard at Swanwick, despite constant ribbing from myself and others from TC (a Band 6 unit really ;) ).

If you are a NATS worker on a lower band, believe it or not we at the Band 5 units know you work hard - as do we.

Shame your profile does not even give any idea of what you do.

If by some strange quirk you made the first comment, yet do work at LACC or TC or Heathrow, then you must do one of the few quieter sectors, or are an office bod/management who does not understand what it is like to work in the Ops room on a day to day basis. :ok:

Anyway, enough of the thread hijacking.

Carbide Finger
31st Mar 2006, 11:53
huge salary - Not really when you consider the consequences of screwing up
pension - We might be lucky and keep them if the company doesn't go bust
shares - See above, and their not worth much
sports facilities - I'm knackered after I've finished work, thank you very much
social facilities - erm, where?
subsidised restaurant - Expensive and badly cooked, but the plates are bigger now (portion police, though)
subsidised dry cleaner - if you can pick it up/drop it off
parking facilities - that's going to be great when TC get here, I'll park at EGHI/CTC and walk.
free internet access - when you can find a free computer and you're not working/recovering
air conditioned luxury - as long as you like dry eyes, you're on to a winner.
occaisional free coffee - once you slogged your guts out for the company
subsidised starbucks - it's still coffee
stripy pass holders - we didn't want them, you know, it was forced on us
STRATCOH (sp) breaks - try working 90 mins in the summer (longer for the ATSAs), you need the break
strong union - we're going to need it
large quantity of fit birds - now you're just dreaming

172driver
31st Mar 2006, 12:25
The French colleagues I was with yesterday told me that for some complex reason, French strikes are Tuesdays and Thursdays. It looks like they'll be going on for a while - so I've changed my Thursday flight from Brest next week to Friday.

Simple - so everyone can enjoy a long weekend ! Seriously - I used to live there and that's what it is :yuk: You pull a 'sickie' on Mon or Fri and hey, presto!, you've got yourself a 4-day w/e! Very thoughful unions they have... pity they don't realize they're ruining the country in the process :sad:

RebornCyclogenesis
31st Mar 2006, 12:39
That is the problem with this site...it is full of cup half empty whingers! Life is too short..soon you will be dead and all that will be left of you is your cyberspace signature, produced from that NATS desktop, when you should have been working.:ok:

As soon as anyone supports their employer be it NATS/BMI/BAW/The Mil/Bristows/etc. the whingers are out in force.

The fact is that the vast majority of the professionals using this site are earning much more than the other 90% of the populace and you probably enjoy your work. Yes if you cock up, the consequences are huge but that applies in a lot of industries. That is why you are trained so well and TCAS is there to help. Anyway, if you do have an incident at least your GATCO membership will give you legal cover. You have a good working environment (unless you are at TC), you have your health and a roof over your head paid for by your ample salary (Thats why we don't go on strike because our mortgages will not get paid) Cheer up, stop moaning, Spring is here and the summer clothing will soon be on display in Sopwith Way.

Now to some of the other issues:

Pension and Shares...won't go there as another thread is dedicated to that.

Sport facilities....You have a gym, use it then you wont be so knackered.

Social facilities...Football tickets, zoo tickets, theatre tickets, north stairwell, first floor it says Sports and SOCIAL club!!!!!!!!!

Subsidised Restaurant...If you think that the food is bad at Swanwick, then you are obviously either mad or being paid far too much, as you must take every meal in Michelin rated establishments.

Free Internet access...from your IP address you are obviously using a NATS computer at this time....the IT police are on their way...better get rid of that .wav with the lady and the big sausage!

Large quantity of fit birds....you must be blind...take a trip into the Ops Room, sit yourself down at North Sea and behold the wonder of ATSAs and their kinky boots....Now you know I am genuine:E :E :E :E :ok:

BEXIL160
31st Mar 2006, 14:14
Ahem Reborn,

Up for a management job are we? Sounds like you have been "re-branded" (where I'm from a Brand was something you stuck on a cows A*se):uhoh:

You seem to forget the job of an ATCO isn't one that everyone has the ability or aptitude to do. If NATS is truly a commercial organisation why should it's managers complain about the "going rate" for ATC staff. They are rare, skilled and valuable individuals, and you have to pay accordingly for their services.

I do not WANT to take any industrial action over my (and others) pensions. Believe me if I am pushed ANY futher I will. And that WILL have serious implications, far in excess of what the French have done.

It seems NATS has yet to grasp ALL the implications of pretending to run itself along commercial lines?

BEX:confused:

RebornCyclogenesis
31st Mar 2006, 14:25
Bexil, I don't deny that there are many issues butwhere we are so demoralised and the sole topic of conversation in many cases is how soon we can get out.

My point is, if he wants out..then go! I can assure you that there are many others with the skills and aptitude, just waiting to take our places. We are not the only industry with issues about pensions, but I am not going to discuss that here. My second point is...it is not ALL that bad, there are many others worse off than us in equally important industries. We had a ballot and the majority said YES. Anyway this is my last post on this thread.

BEXIL160
31st Mar 2006, 14:53
can assure you that there are many others with the skills and aptitude

I'm not assured. There may indeed be others, but not alas the many that you refer to. Witness the lack of operational ATC staff at virtually every UK ATCU, especially Swanwick (closed sectors are becoming a regular occurance because there are no contingency staff whatsoever).

We are not the only industry with issues about pensions. Aha, the management line.... without any reference to the actual state of CAAPS.

there are many others worse off than us in equally important industries. And your point is?.....

BTW Poor choice of words I think, I probably would have said "different" industries rather than your "equally important". I can't say I've ever though of myself as "important", rather merely responsible and professional.

Anyway this is my last post on this thread. Probably for the best, chum. ;)

Best rgds
BEX

maxalt
31st Mar 2006, 16:27
Back to the French lads.
Does anyone know if they're out on Tuesday April 4th?

PPRuNe Radar
31st Mar 2006, 22:35
The boss of Jet2 didn't seem too impressed !!

Get back to work !! (http://www.jet2.com/News.aspx?id=65)

anotherthing
1st Apr 2006, 11:10
That is why you are trained so well and TCAS is there to help

Yep, good old TCAS, not a bad tool, but has actually caused incidents in TC airspace before.

unwiseowl
2nd Apr 2006, 10:48
http://www.jet2.com/News.aspx?id=65

I think they should know what's being said about them, so does anyone know their email addresses?

anotherthing
2nd Apr 2006, 11:35
Although thet French do seem to strike at the drop of a hat, and extremely often, This is a bit out of order.

Just hope that If NATS staff ever strike, the same is not said about them!!

Lon More
2nd Apr 2006, 12:42
If NATS staff ever strike
Some of the controllers did, many years ago; caused considerable confusion.
Closing sectors, e.g. CLN, at night has the same effect - and also seems to be happening more and more often.

DC10RealMan
2nd Apr 2006, 17:11
Reborn,

Please dont shoot the messenger!. I am only reporting on what I see and hear. Personally as soon as I am able to retire I shall without a moments hesitation. I do feel that having worked in ATC for over 25years in the CAA and NATS I do have a vested interest in its future even if it does not include me.

Scott Voigt
2nd Apr 2006, 22:28
Sounds like a manger who gets the time to use all those perks <G>:eek:

gtadxb
3rd Apr 2006, 14:18
To answer MAXALT's question, yes, they are on strike again tomorrow 4 april...

flowman
3rd Apr 2006, 14:28
Yes, on strike again 0400 4th to 0400 5th April.
NOTAM and AIM just issued.
It seems to be a daily thing now.
When will it end?

gtadxb
3rd Apr 2006, 14:32
It will end when the french (of which I am half of one) realise that they can't always have it the way they want it, & that sometimes they have to get off their backsides if they want to get anywhere... they should dare venture outside their territory to see what it's like elsewhere in Europe & maybe come back home a bit wiser...
So all I'm saying really is God knows when it'll end !!!!

flowman
3rd Apr 2006, 14:45
Thanks for clarifying that.

gtadxb
3rd Apr 2006, 14:51
Ha ha you're welcome ;)

flowman
4th Apr 2006, 12:54
Latest word on the grapevine is that the strike is now UFN. I hear it will soon be officially extended until Saturday.
I cannot get over how grossly unfair it is to hold the rest of Europe to ransom over an internal French matter.
There are people all over Europe working like Trojans to sort out the mess this has caused and we are all supposed to take it on the chin and get on with it.
Wouldn't it be great if the rest of Europe got ourselves organised to persecute any French interests when this mess is all over. A kind of focused industrial action by the rest of us. Completely unfair I know, but that's exactly what is being inflicted now, completely unfair and unreasonable persecution of innocent parties.
The views expressed above are completely personal and nothing whatsoever to do with the policies of my employer.:*

goshdarnit
4th Apr 2006, 13:58
(I already started a new thread without realising this was here, in case anyone happens to notice the similarities.)

Do we know of any type of schedule for French ATC industrial action? I lost one flight already (7/3, BRS-MAD) and have imminent return flights BRS-BCN ansd BCN-EAP which I am getting concerned about given todays events.
Any insight appreciated.
GDI

flowman
4th Apr 2006, 14:19
goshdarnit
The French are on strike until 0400 on the 6th April, this is probably going to be extended on a daily basis until at least Saturday.
Flights to/from UK/Barcelona later on this evening could be badly delayed due to industrial action by controllers in Brest ACC. Things can change pretty quickly though. Yesterday evening 22000 mins of delay was wiped out when more controllers than expected turned up to work in Brest. You will just have to keep an eye on the information published on CFMU applications.

PPRuNe Radar
4th Apr 2006, 17:11
Flowman

I expect a lot of us in the industry, as well as the affected public, are deeply sympathetic to your views on 'payback'. The problem is one of how to target any action at those who caused the problems and not then have an effect on anyone else who is not the cause of the original problem, e.g French citizens who did not take part in the strike, foreign nationals on board French aircraft, etc.

Shame the EU doesn't have the balls to do something on our behalf. It's probably the only feasible way of an appropriate action (cut subsidies to French transport, ask for all the illegal state aid given to Air France over the years back, that kind of stuff). Probably come up with some argument or other that it's not in the rules to take such action on a member state.

Widger
4th Apr 2006, 17:44
Pprune radar,

The way to solve the problem is for NATS to take over the whole of Western Europe and do it all from Swanwick when Caspian comes on line!

DB6
4th Apr 2006, 17:50
Purely self-interest: will flights from Glasgow to Faro suffer from bolshy frogitis i.e. tomorrow (5th) and Sunday (9th)?

Guern
4th Apr 2006, 18:54
Any idea if they are going to be striking on or around 12 April as I am due to fly to Nice!

flowman
4th Apr 2006, 19:25
The whole situation was so volatile today that it's difficult to know which flights will be affected and when, but as a general rule I would say Glasgow to Faro tomorrow, yes it will be affected. Sunday is anybody's guess. 12th April? I, among thousands of others, sincerely hope the matter is sorted out by then. It would seem it's a matter of when the French government cave in, sorry "reach a compromise".