PDA

View Full Version : Japan Airlines medical standard. Holy cow!!!

CFIT
16th Jun 2001, 21:37
Just heard that JAL subsidiary JALways could not fill in enough pilots (all non-Japanese pilots hired through HACS and IASCO) for their DC-10 and B747 classes because hardly anyone passes their medical check in Los Angeles. Is this true? If so, are we all who are currently flying that unfit when compared with their standard, or is the JAL standard redicoulously high?

411A
16th Jun 2001, 22:57
JCAB standard definately over the top. And if you get by the medical, it's 8-9 months of training----another Holy Cow! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by 411A (edited 16 June 2001).]

fergineer
16th Jun 2001, 23:12
I failed the medical in Dublin 7 years ago, they dont even tell you why, all I got from the doctor over there was there was nothing medically wrong with me and I would not lose my flying cat you have to be very careful what you say, the slightest moan or negative reaction will see you out on the streets.

Stratocaster
16th Jun 2001, 23:45
Everybody says indeed that JCAB medical examinations are quite "out of this world". They keep you for two days, it's more expensive than a 4 hr sim-check and it makes you feel like they're going to strap you in a rocket and hire you as a space monkey ! ;)

Now for the JALways contract in particular, a friend of mine applied and he was told that a few guys were hired but JAL didn't find a slot for their training, so they're still waiting and maybe they'll start in August.
But that's old news, it might have changed since...

DownIn3Green
17th Jun 2001, 02:44
The standards are tough. I completed an IASCO contract a year or so ago, and was asked if I was interested in this. I was, but when I heard of the medical standards, I decided not to waste anyone's time, even though I was a "shoe-in" to be hired as an IASCO alumni.

By the way, if anyone goes the IASCO route and has the pleasure of dealing with Louise Philips, believe me it is truly a pleasure.

Louise is a straight shooter, and her word is her bond. If she tells you something, consider it true.

Thomas Doubting
17th Jun 2001, 06:53
Haiku holds the answer
To pass the medical test
Find essence of Zen

CFIT
17th Jun 2001, 06:56
Looks like you gotta have a physical condition of a test pilot to work for the Japanese, I guess. Stratocaster, looks like your buddy's slot was posponed because of the lack of "physically fit pilots" to start a class. They need 8 guys each class to start the June courses, it appears that, as of 2 weeks ago, they only got 4 for the DC10 and 2 for the B747. Don't know the latest figure though.

Techman
17th Jun 2001, 07:42
I know some guys who worked for IASCO/Jalways some 5-6 years ago, and they are certainly not the fittest guys around.

Could it be politics playing in?.

on the glide
17th Jun 2001, 08:45
Gus,

Be honest,Major Airlines has their own
standard,even you've been flyin around
like it or not you've to comply.
For instance CX,even you've already gain
hours as PIC but when you join'em,you got
to be started from the bottom,that's the Game.

Be Positive,there's nothing to do with the
Politics,trust me.

o_g

TowerDog
17th Jun 2001, 09:11
Well, the Japanese medical standards is tough, but not that heavy duty.

If I could pass the tests.... :)

Many guys in my class smoked and drank tons of beer. None of us were health food freaks or astronauts.
Eyesight, cholestrol and blood pressure were big items, but that was 10 years ago.
Don't know if things have changed, but many of the Japanese pilots also smoked a couple of packs a day and enjoyed their shots of Saki and glasses of beer.

Politics? Yes, for a while the medical department kept flunking candidates as they were not consulted on new hiring. After the proper meetings and many cups of tea later, more ex-pats got accepted and everybody was happy.

The moral of the story? Uh, if they like you, they pass you.
Be humble, look down, don't shake hands, and in general: Play the game.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

gwallerich
17th Jun 2001, 15:25
The JCAB medical standards are quite high and, in some cases, a bit unusual.

For example, the JCAB has a maximum weight/height limit. Take your height in centimeters, subtract 100, then multiply by 9. That's your ideal weight in kilos. Multiply that by 1.3 and you get your JCAB weight limit. One kilo over that and you fail the medical, even if you've been flying for the Japanese for years.

If you're a serious marathon runner, you could fail the resting pulse test. Minimum is around 48.

And you must be able to stand on one foot with your eyes closed for 2 minutes (although this can be learned).

gwallerich
17th Jun 2001, 15:34
Oops! On the weight limit, your ideal weight should be height in centimeters minus 100 times .9; i.e., if you're 185 cm tall, your ideal weight is 76.5 kilos, and your max allowable is 99.5.

2XL
17th Jun 2001, 18:04
Those figures sound reasonable gwallerich. But, are there occassions when the JCAB will not let you use the x1.3 factor, otherwise I can't see too many non-asians passing ?

Can anyone confirm the Japanese medical is a 6 mthly event ?

Engineer
17th Jun 2001, 22:36
It would appear that the JCAB are being quite generous if they use the 1.3 factor.

Using the Body mass index(BMI) calculator

BMI=weight(kgs)/height(metres)squared

where the ideal BMI is classed as 19 to 25

Using JCAB formula gives a mid range BMI of 22. Add the 1.3 factor and you end up with a BMI of 28 well into the overweight area.Which is 26 to 30. So as I said before a generous excursion from the norm.

alapt
18th Jun 2001, 01:57
Well guys I have just done the JAL thing three weeks ago. Interview and sim are straight forward as long as you listen and hear their hints for the ride!!
As for the medical, that's another story!!
One full day of medical tests and then the mental quizzzzzzzz...... close to five hundred questions in as fast as you can do them! I would not say that the medical is that difficult because you can not control or prepare for the tests. The blood samples (Four large vials worth) say alot!

As for the comment about Ms. Louise Philips, I could not agree more. What a PRO.
Should get my results this week for a July 12 start date. Yes they are looking for 8 drivers for this course and 8 more for a fall course.
Get your CV's in. The worst that could happen is that they find some curable disease before it kills you!!
Regards to all

TowerDog
18th Jun 2001, 03:52
Ms. Louise Philips?
Would that be the daughter of the previous IASCO Philips? (Probably retired now)
Or his son's wife?

The son was being groomed to take over the rudder 10 years ago. (Forgot the father's and son's first name.)

The old man was nice enough back then, but it turned out to be only on the surface.

As long as they get half your paycheck, IASCO is indeed your friend.

They sure know how to bow to the Japs, but will forget your contract very soon if any problem or conflict arises.

On a different note: Any boys out there on PPRuNE from my JAL class September 91?

(Only one guy extended his contract, the rest
of us left voluntarily or got dismissed, but we all passed the Tokyo program: What a waste of hard work for us and money for JAL)

My e-mail address: [email protected]

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

catch 22
18th Jun 2001, 05:41
I couldn't agree with you more Tower Dog.
JAS class of August'91

TowerDog
18th Jun 2001, 09:00
Catch 22:

Greetings Mate:

If ya were JAS August 91, we probably had a few beers in the Shin Takanawa Prince Hotel:

I was the ex-Evergreen, tall handsome dude with the Harley... :)

Give me a shout on e-mail [email protected]

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

cbavoidance
18th Jun 2001, 09:44
The JCAB is excessive. Ask any CAA Doctor.
In any event, I refuse to give up my English breakfast fry-up for any Jappy-chappy.
More fried bread please.......

CFIT
19th Jun 2001, 06:02
Since a guy plunge a DC-8 into Tokyo bay long time ago, JAL imposed a psychiatric test for the new pilots, both Japanese and expats. Does anyone know how deep they go into your brain? What are the test consisted of?

gwallerich
19th Jun 2001, 13:36
TowerDog:

George Philip (no "s" on the end) was IASCO's Chief Pilot in Tokyo for many years. He continued on administratively after hitting the magic age, and, as I recall, died some time ago (in the '80's?). He and his family are from Vancouver.

Bruce Philip, his son, went to work for IASCO in Burlingame (KSFO) in an administrative job.

Re the 6 month training program, in my years as IASCO's Manager of Flight Crew Leasing, more "round eyes" failed training for attitude than for lack of proficiency.

alapt
21st Jun 2001, 08:09
Crash and burn guys, I did not pass the medical due to the
"nothing to be worried about syndrome"!!
You can continue flying in any other country, except Japan!!
Soooooo, back to square one!
Looking for another job that will close in oh... three or four years.
That seems to be the norm for me.
Regards everybody

Blacksheep
21st Jun 2001, 08:45
According to the Japanese calculation my ideal weight is 60 Kg. and my maximum allowable is 78 Kg. According to Engineer's formula my ideal is between 53 and 69 Kg.

When I 'joined' the Airforce I weighed 57 Kg. had a 36 inch chest, 28 inch waist and took a 14 collar. They classified me as undernourished and put me on special rations to build me up. My chit wasn't cancelled until I reached 68 Kg. of rippling muscles, with a 42 inch chest, 32 inch waist and a 15 1/2 inch collar. You could just "pinch one inch" of skin on my waist line. Today I am 73 Kg. and considered far from overweight.

Maybe the Imperial Japanese Army really did think that their guests at Changi were seriously overweight?

Through difficulties to the cinema

CFIT
22nd Jun 2001, 12:18
Sorry to hear that "alapt". Did they ever tell you any specific reason why? My medical is coming up in 3 weeks, pretty nerve wrecking. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

GlueBall
23rd Jun 2001, 09:18
Six years ago I met an ex JAL (IASCO) 74 Capt who had quit after six years because the oriental mind set had started to play tricks with his own mind. He related his last encounter: After having reported sick at the Narita JAL doctor's office he was given a 10 day sick slip. He took that to Ops and requested a ticket to SFO where he lived. Ops looked at him as if he had come from another planet. He was based at ANC; he couldn't get a ticket to SFO!