PDA

View Full Version : Determining Radar Vectoring Area

GroundBound
27th Feb 2006, 12:21
Many airports have a radar vectoring area (RVA) published in the AIP, with miimum safe altitudes which are lower than the MSA.

Who determines the RVA (the CAA?) , and what rules do they apply when setting the lower safe altitudes?

Many thanks for any help
GB

chevvron
27th Feb 2006, 12:40
CAP 709 'Radar Vectoring Areas in UK Airspace'

niknak
27th Feb 2006, 12:40
The CAA approve the RVA after consultation with the airport authority.

Without looking in the books, it's my understanding that the lower altitudes within a RVA are set in accordance with the highest obstacle in the sector, the premise being that providing radar contact with the aircraft is maintained the atco knows it's clear of the relavant obstacle.
If the atco is operating without radar (procedurally), the aircraft wouldn't be allowed to descend beneath the MSA, or if operating with radar it already has descended and subsequently radar contact is lost, it must climb to at least the MSA or an intermediate level above the MSA.

Hope that makes some sense.

GroundBound
27th Feb 2006, 13:13
Chevvron Cheers mate - exactly what I was looking for.
Niknak Thanks for the comfirmation - its what I expected, but its nice to hear it from someone else.
GB
P.S. its quicker on pPrune than on google :) !

chevvron
6th Mar 2006, 13:21
Just had UK AIC No 20/2006. It says that in response to an ICAO requirement, the chart is to be redesigned to ICAO specs and re-named Radar Minimum Altitude Chart. There's a slight difference to the present RVA chart, but broadly speaking, the present UK charts are similar, and will be replaced over a period of time rather than immediately.
The purpose of the ICAO standard is 'to provide information to allow flight crews to monitor and cross check altitudes assigned whilst receiving vectoring instructions'.
I've just submitted an update for my airfield, so hopefully I'll get the revised chart!!

discountinvestigator
7th Mar 2006, 21:28
And the obstacle and terrain surveys have to be in accordance with CAP 232 from the ground. And if you wish to avoid getting caught by the lawyers, the obstacle flight check should be valid as well.

Directorate of Airspace Policy are the service provider, regulator and award the contract for AIP publication of the information as the representative of the State.

I usually find that there is not enough information on the UK charts to allow crews to know when they are crossing from one line to another, execept around the final approach and DME. Unless you fly with those nasty glass cockpit display things ;)