PDA

View Full Version : NATS Course Comparison

G-UNIT
8th Feb 2006, 14:58
After hearing/reading so much about how tough the NATS ATC course is, I was wondering how it compares (i.e. workload, technical learning, research etc) to a BSc(hons). Also what format do the assessments take, essays, multiple choice, practicals etc. I'm in the process of applying now and just curious as to the nature of the course. Thanks for your thoughts

NudgingSteel
8th Feb 2006, 21:49
Firstly, good luck with the application. It's a great job, don't let the odd moan on these pages put you off....
I graduated with a BEng(Hons) about two years before starting at CATC. For me, the two courses were very different indeed. Mechanical engineering never held too much of an interest for me so it was all new stuff, loads of maths, and very technical stuff indeed. The ATC course is actually not as technical as you'd possibly expect - most of the learning is geared towards practical stuff you'll use and although I'd never studied Meterology or Air Law, for example, the course length means there just isn't time to go into terribly complex detail. I'd always been interested in aviation, so stuff like aircraft recognition was an absolute gift!! Don't get me wrong, there's lots of stuff to learn - but it generally seemed the case that if you studied reasonably hard, the theoretical assessments weren't a problem. If you already have some interest and knowledge of aviation matters then you're already at an advantage.
A more recent person can probably give you an up-to-date summary of the assessment process, which has changed a bit since I was there.
There are lots of simulator runs though, and it's the practical side that catches most people out. You can study 24/7 and yet in the heat of the simulated moment, it's easy to screw up just enough to fail! (as in real life I suppose....).
Other differences from a degree course are the course length (10 months or so vs. 3 years); you'll get your a$$ kicked very rapidly if you do the student thing of sleeping in most mornings; and if you pass the course you're guaranteed (subject to validating at your posted unit) a job which also happens to pay lots!

5milesbaby
8th Feb 2006, 22:54
Other differences from a degree course are the course length (10 months or so vs. 3 years); you'll get your a$$ kicked very rapidly if you do the student thing of sleeping in most mornings; and if you pass the course you're guaranteed (subject to validating at your posted unit) a job which also happens to pay lots!
Once you leave the college (at Swanwick anyway) you'll be doing pre-Validation course tasks for 3 to 12 months (dependant on when course starts), validation course (simulators) for 3 months and then averagely 15 months sector training with the live stuff. Basically it can take 3 years from walking into the college to walking out of the office with Licence in hand. Not all of this is intense learning, some of it I would phrase "familiarisation", so learning in a different context. And not all training follows the standard pattern..............:ooh:

Dances with Boffins
10th Feb 2006, 11:49
The two barely compare at all.
There is very little, if any, essay or report writing, and no critical examination of the studies of others. The truth is the truth and ATC Training just teaches it to you. That's the brains and book bit, which compares more with secondary school than Uni.
The practical training is more like art school. You have the aptitude, they take that aptitude and build on it using practical exercises with a skilled practitioner. He/she trains you by guiding and monitoring your every move and thought, building your skills up until you can produce the level of competence that will allow you to monitor your own ability and automatically correct and amend your actions to produce a masterpiece - every day.
That's why you don't just have to be clever, you also need that "other" quality, that if someone could actually define it, would make them a very rich person right now. Sounds tough. It is, but everyone seems to enjoy doing it which makes it easier.
Good luck.

DwB:cool:

foghorn
11th Feb 2006, 07:58
Theory-wise, college is more like doing a single A-Level on ATC theory.

In the application of said theory, and in the teaching and testing of pure practical skills in the simulator, there is nothing harder that I've experienced and I have three engineering degrees from a very posh UK uni and a CPL/IR.