PDA

View Full Version : Question for london controllers

EightsOnPylons
7th Feb 2006, 14:05
Dear collegues,
I was just wondering. When I am flying in the London area and receive a hand-over to another controller and checkin in. I usually say:

"good morning london, Callsign XXX , FLXXX climbing FLXXX heading XXX"

I know that according to the "book" we shall only state our cleared level unless we have just been handed off to the first departure frequency after takeoff, when we also shall state our crossing level and SID.

So my question for you controllers is? When we check in to your frequencys, do you want to hear our passing level our do you want us to omit this and only state our cleared level?

Thank you. Best regards, EightsOnPylons

EightsOnPylons
7th Feb 2006, 15:25
Ok thanks for the answer.

I guess that makes it the following call always

"good morning london, Callsign XXX , FLXXX climbing FLXXX heading XXX"

Not Long Now
7th Feb 2006, 17:44
Am a London controller...
As far as I can see, if you're coming from another radar controller to me (ie anything but departures straight from the tower or some other non standard situation of someone's radar not working) your mode C is presumed validated so I don't care about 'passing'. I'd just like "Callsign, descending FL XXX, heading ABC".
To try and avoid stepping on other threads, 'good morning' etc is fine presuming I'm not doing the proverbial one armed paper hanger routine.:eek:

TATC
7th Feb 2006, 22:23
That's from the UK AIP, surely doesn't really give pilots scope to do otherwise??

However, do you read the sentence as relevant on any frequency change within LATCC, or just on initial handover from London/Scottish/Manchester?? :confused:

If you look at it as changing frequency between any of the London Control Centres (sectors??) then it makes more sense - maybe!

Seeing as there is no reference to sectors or individual controllers the sentence refers to changing between centres and not sectors, in my humblest of humble opinions

Dream Land
10th Feb 2006, 14:34
Might be from us U.S. slackers, we must give a passing level when changing facilities, someone correct me if I'm wrong.:D