PDA

View Full Version : building a spitfire in the garage

Spitfire78
27th Jan 2006, 15:27
Interesting article about a lady building a Spitfire in her garage off original blue prints over at the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/4646888.stm

There's also a thread going over at "Aviation History and Nostalgia", but not sure if that was the right place to ask:

Would she eventually be able to fly this, assuming she's a pilot of course? I guess Permit to Fly would be the only option. And what sort of power plant could be used?

And most importantly, where can I get my hands on a set of blue prints ? :D

SF78

High Wing Drifter
27th Jan 2006, 15:43
Utterly, utterly bonkers!

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jan 2006, 08:01
Quite probably, but it's the sort of energetic eccentricity that makes Britain what it is, and you can only respect that.

Spitfire 78 if you're serious, the PFA will sell you a set of plans for an approved Isaacs Spitfire replica in wood for a few hundred pounds.

G

CDH
29th Jan 2006, 08:17
Genghis-
The engine cowl on the Isaacs spoils the lines too much for me.
The Jurca is a nicer job IMHO, at 75% (MJ10) or 100% (MJ100) scale.

Spit78-
There are others available, try a google search for spitfire replica's

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jan 2006, 08:18
Well if it comes to that the nicest of the lot for my money is the Supermarine Australia aircraft, which I'd love to own.

G

CDH
29th Jan 2006, 08:25
Spit 78- Don't forget if you intend to build in the uk the kit/plan has to be approved by the PFA
current list here- http://www.pfa.org.uk/pdfs/Hombuilt%20List%20by%20Type.pdf
if not on the list then you may be the first to seek approval - could be expensive.

Genghis- Agreed V nice but I think if I had that sort of money to spend I'd be buying/ building a Thunder Mustang :ok:

IO540
29th Jan 2006, 08:32
Some months ago I read a great article in some aviation mag, explaining how Spit prices have risen so much in recent years that a number of commercial outfits have started up who will build one for you, even starting with a shoebox with some bits. Especially if the shoebox contains the original airframe ID plate, but the financial pressures are such that even that isn't really necessary.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jan 2006, 11:01
I had a fault middle of last year when I'd landed at Sandown.

In the time-honoured fashion, I knocked on the door of the nearest friendly looking hangar to ask if I could borrow the required tools to put it right. When I was invited in, I was rather surprised to see two Spitfires and a Hurricane under construction - a very impressive sight. I can think of worse ways to make your living, although the cashflow must be a little erratic.

(Plus they were very friendly, and helped get me in the air again, refusing any attempt to pay for the time and couple of bits I'd scrounged).

G

Johnm
30th Jan 2006, 11:52
There's a guy at Kemble well into a Mosquito and now looking for a new hangar space to finish it, since the lease on the one he's using is running out and not to be renewed

Rod1
30th Jan 2006, 18:50
Spit 78- Don't forget if you intend to build in the uk the kit/plan has to be approved by the PFA
:ok:

This is not true. It is perfectly possible to go straight to the CAA and build things, and with none of the PFA limitations such as engine power etc. It will cost more money, but if you want to put a Merlin in a spit it is your only option.

Rod1

18greens
30th Jan 2006, 19:55
CHD,

How much does it cost to get a new type added to the PFA list??? and what do they do for the money. I can understand the certification work required if it has never flown but what if it is flying already somewhere else (such as the states)?

Rod1
30th Jan 2006, 20:28
CHD,
How much does it cost to get a new type added to the PFA list??? and what do they do for the money. I can understand the certification work required if it has never flown but what if it is flying already somewhere else (such as the states)?

It does not necessarily cost anything to get on the list. You have to apply and get selected and the numbers of new designs each year, which get added, are very small. It has to be considered that it is in the member’s interest to investigate your design, and that there is space in the evaluation programme for it. This is the reason why at least one potential builder is considering going the CAA route as it gives a high degree of control, but at a cost.

Every 4 seat aircraft, which is registered to build, generates £2000 to the PFA from the manufacturer, to help pay for the engineering support. 2 seat designs pay nothing.

This is an area, which has been under review for some time.

As well as the PFA and the CAA you can also go to the BMAA.

Rod1

CDH
31st Jan 2006, 07:27
18G- In answer to your question, I don't know. Rod seems to have answered most of it though.
Have a look at the PFA website for more info http://www.pfa.org.uk/

MichaelJP59
31st Jan 2006, 13:24
Going back to the original thread, is this really a rivet-for-rivet plans build of a Spitfire, or a 1:1 replica?

If it's never intended for it to fly it would seem bizarre to put all the effort into building the structure, the strength and lightness of which would never be needed.

If it is real, surely for one person it would be many thousands of hours to fabricate and build one from plans?

Puzzled...