PDA

View Full Version : question on "unable"

Gerhardt
30th Dec 2005, 12:22
On another website a helicopter pilot questioned ATC asking him to be #2 on final for a runway. He was just making a comment that he would have preferred for clearance to land directly to the ramp. A CFI suggested that it was his fault for not replying that he was "unable".

I stated that unless a pilot is truly unable for safety reasons this probably isn't the way to do things. The CFI came back that it's no big deal and he's done it many times.

My question for controllers... would it be a big deal if a pilot said he was unable to comply with instructions and if questioned replied "I WAS able, I just didn't want to."?

one25six
30th Dec 2005, 12:29
My 2c.

Unable - means (you are) unable to comply for an operational reason (with the instruction / clearance). I am not going to question what the nature of your operational requirement is - not on the frequency anyway. A phone call after shutdown might be requested however.

Bottom line: if you operationally require it you get it.

But if you are simply being operationally 'expedient' and you don't 'really' require it, than instead just request it.

Unable means unable - not unwilling!

vector4fun
30th Dec 2005, 18:32
From the U.S. Pilot/Controller Glossary:

UNABLE- Indicates inability to comply with a specific instruction, request, or clearance.

The CFI is a :mad: Either that, or his repeated inability to comply with simple, routine clearances indicates a serious lack of ability, don't you think?

Have absolutely no problem with a pilot that requests a different clearance though, especially for operational reasons.

aluminium persuader
31st Dec 2005, 16:55
If he wanted to route direct to the ramp he should have said "request route direct to the ramp".

At most airfields without a specified and separate heli landing area ATC would give instructions for joining to the runway. If you want something different, ASK! If you don't ask, don't grouch when you don't get it!

ap :cool:

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Scott Voigt
3rd Jan 2006, 14:12
Of course our response could then have been "roger copter XXX depart class D airspace to the northwest and advise when able to comply with clearance <G>...:}