View Full Version : ba euro fleet lgw

Pages : 1 [2]

GaryJon
1st Jun 2006, 17:55
Hi, well as far as I know, most of the training is at LGW and some at LHR. I was told on my interview day that they bus us up to LHR when needed and then bus us back again, unless of course we need to be at LHR on consecutive in which case we stopover.

GaryJon
1st Jun 2006, 17:58
that was supposed to read ..consecutive days...sorry

Airbusbellboy
1st Jun 2006, 18:12
Cheers for that GaryJon

Applied for Six Month Temp ww lhr and now been offered Gatwick Fleet which is great as it's permanent. Just wondering whether it is possible to commute.
Do lgw do shorthaul trips in the same way as their colleagues on lhr ef do? Also places to stay near Gatwick Airport? Any ideas>? :)

GaryJon
1st Jun 2006, 18:52
Hi ABBB

Not sure about your other questions as Im just as new to this.
All I know is that Im supposed to be trained for mixed fleet at LGW, so no idea really about what LHR temp crew transferring to LGW will be doing.
I'm sure someone will post an answer soon.
I live NW London and going to commute, I don't really have an option, so I hope that it won't be too gruelling or expensive!! Depending on time of day, I will also drive.
Maybe see you there - Best of luck though.
Gary

Hotel Mode
1st Jun 2006, 19:37
Dunno which bit of NW london you're from but if you're close to Thameslink its a pretty reliable hassle free way to work. BAA used to do a airport worker railcard but that may have stopped. Its a load easier than the M25 anyway.

GaryJon
1st Jun 2006, 21:25
Thanks HM

I'll find out more. Im quite close to West hampstead Thameslink, so that would be great.

thanks again
Gary

tuismile
2nd Jun 2006, 17:26
Hey guys!! Got my phonecall from BA today to give me my training date...
Anyone else starting August 7th???? Would be great to know someone when i get there!!! Anyways, it's still a bit of a way to go.but good Luck to everyone!!!

xxxxx

cabincrewmember
3rd Jun 2006, 14:04
Does anyone know if people who will be training from July onwards whether they will start to train people for 777 aircrafts so from Oct they will be able to oper8 inline 4when the whole MIDFLEET:cool: goes in together???

This is for the LGW..........

tofster
4th Jun 2006, 06:44
Don't quote me on this but the "rumour" I heard at work was that courses from August would be dual trained. However we all know the rumour mill and also how things can change at the last minute!

Tofster x

lgw29
4th Jun 2006, 13:35
i was at a bbq last night with a trainner no dates have been set yet for any 777 trainning

bobbyinpompey
10th Jun 2006, 15:49
hi, i am starting a trianng course in gatwick on 10th and was owndering if anyone else is. im gunna luive in brighton and commute.....is that a good idea??? was also wondering what you are supposed to wear on the 5 weeks training.....if any oneis starting on 10th july thesee you then byyyye

hi, emma988, i'm also starting at LGW on 10/07. As you may have guessed, my name's Bobby and i live in Portsmouth.:)

WeLieInTheShadows
11th Jun 2006, 10:50
This is only rumour in the training department/insider knowledge but it would seem that new entrants starting from end or July (31st I guess) will be 737/777 trained.

Fits in with recency and the general rumour mill.

As a trainer I have my First Class training in mid July and then I guess will be delivering it to all crew after that.

:cool:

flyer55
12th Jun 2006, 11:23
Yeah courses from 31st July onwards will be trained on both 737 / 777 which will come under the 90 day recency! If your planning to commute you should be ok as alot of crew do commute within the uk and worldwide for Eurofleet LGW. Trips can very from 1 day to 4 day trips which will be covered in your training , hope that helps !!

eman75
12th Jun 2006, 14:39
Hi guys,

Just wondered what is the 90 day recency? it is like a new language to me... thanks in advance for the explanation,

I also wondered and I hope I am not being indescreet (again!) with BA do you get payments downroute? I am due to start in early August and I am abviously working out a budget, I just need to know if I have to pay for food and maintenance whilst on trips? I am so new at this but I am really looking forward to it!

One last thing, does anybody know if there is parking at Hanger 6 in LGW where the training takes place? and how much it costs per day?

Thanks again for your replies, :ok:

flybywire
12th Jun 2006, 17:42
Hi guys,

Just wondered what is the 90 day recency? it is like a new language to me... thanks in advance for the explanation

It simply means that you have to operate at least once (one sector for LH and one return trip for SH) on a specific aircraft to keep your "currency". If you don't fly at least once in 3 months you won't be able to operate on that specific aircraft until you've done a conversion training again.

I also wondered and I hope I am not being indescreet (again!) with BA do you get payments downroute? I am due to start in early August and I am abviously working out a budget, I just need to know if I have to pay for food and maintenance whilst on trips? I am so new at this but I am really looking forward to it!
No, BA's allowances are paid one month in arrears. I'd suggest you save up a little as you'll get your first "proper" salary after completing your 2nd month of flying. That is, for the first 3 months you'll be on your basic salary (+training allowances).

One last thing, does anybody know if there is parking at Hanger 6 in LGW where the training takes place? and how much it costs per day?

Thanks again for your replies, :ok:

There's some parking at Hanagr6 and it's free for BA employees. You'll have to sign in and out at the secutity kiosk though and show them your ID (or letter with course details on your 1st day). So it's handy if you know your car registration by heart!!!! (I still don't!)

Enjoy it :ok: you'll have fun!! :E

FBW:)

SuperBoy
12th Jun 2006, 17:46
Hi Eman, When you are trained on an aircraft i.e. 737 or 777 you have to operate atleast one sector as crew on that aircraft type within x amount of time. This is a caa (civil aviation authority) regulation.

If you are trained on 1 or 2 aircraft types according to CAA regs you have to operate atleast 1 sector on each aircraft type within 90 days otherwise you will no longer be allowed to work on that specific aircraft type.
If you are trained on 3 aircraft types the same rule applies except you have to operate on these aircraft atleast one sector in 60 days.

As to payments downroute at LGW you get hourly flight pay for when you are downroute. This allowance gets paid to you for each hour that you are away from your base(Ie LGW) So if you check in for a flight to orlando at 12:00 on monday and you get back at 12:00 on wednesday then you get paid 42 x hourly allowance. However this is paid in arrears so basically what you earn in June you will only get in July and what you earn in July you will only get in August etc. etc.

There is parking at hangar 6 and its free, you will receive all the details when BA send you your info pack and contracts.

I hope this helps.:):):):)

CONGRATZ on getting the job.:D:D:D:D

tuismile
12th Jun 2006, 21:33
HEY HEY!!

Starting my training on August 7th!!! Anyone else start then??? Handed in my notice yesterday....WITH A SMILE!!!!! LOL....

Congratz to everyone who's starting as well!!!

Rick
xxx

Virgin Boi
13th Jun 2006, 01:12
Hi guys,

Sorry to ask yet another question, but I have heard on Galley FM on more than one occassion that BA LGW will be externally recruiting direct entry Pursers for the new Mid-Fleet. Does anyone know if this is in fact true?

flybywire
13th Jun 2006, 09:45
Hi guys,
Sorry to ask yet another question, but I have heard on Galley FM on more than one occassion that BA LGW will be externally recruiting direct entry Pursers for the new Mid-Fleet. Does anyone know if this is in fact true?

At the moment it is untrue and unlikely for the unions to allow that. It's more likely they'll ask for secondment volunteers from other fleets first.

One thing is sure they have already recruited about 80 pursers in the last few months and as soon as the Cabin Manager recruitment ends they'll continue with the purser development programme and will recruit some more within the fleet. It is likely that this recruitment will be ongoing till they have the numbers they need. To apply you need to have 1 year flying experience for BA + 1 year flying for another airline or 2 years flying experience for BA, so promotion will be quick anyway!! :ok:

The fact that they do need pursers doesn't mean that they'll recruit anybody though, just "because they're desperate" (as I've heard somebody say). In fact lately there have been some tears around Jubilee too :(

FBW

flyer55
13th Jun 2006, 11:11
Eman - when you are down route you get Bed and Breakfast for Eurofleet Gatwick . However, if you departing hotel very early in the morning you get a voucher for Food for Room Service which will be deducted from your Bill on checkout and Tea & Coffee provided for you in Reception usually . If you are leaving later you get a voucher for Breakfast . Most Hotels have Tea & Coffee in the Rooms except Hotels in France, Italy and Switzerland . This should all be covered in your training !

love2flyxxx
13th Jun 2006, 14:59
Hi all,

A huge congrats to everyone whos due to start at Ba soon. I recently finished my training course and have been on line just over a month.

Coming from a charter background I have to say that I was worried about going into such a huge company. But everyone has been great. I can honestly say I don't think I have met 1 person yet that hasn't been genuinely pleased to have me on the crew.

BA have been fab and the trainers couldn't have been any better. As for the night stops, I already have some good storys and Ive only been there a month!!

If I can help with an insiders view of training or any thing else then let me know.

Enjoy training and ill see you online!
xxx

host25
17th Jun 2006, 07:29
Hi Guys I am starting on the july 10th course at LGW I also live near Portsmouth!! I am looking at staying near crawley and commuting to Gatwick for the course.:D

emma988
17th Jun 2006, 16:44
Hi Guys I am starting on the july 10th course at LGW I also live near Portsmouth!! I am looking at staying near crawley and commuting to Gatwick for the course.:D

hey, im starting on 10th and i am commuting from brighton. its 30 mins on train and 5.70 cheap day return as there is a direct link. if i had a choice iwould move to brighton as its fab in the summer and so much goes on, and ul know me!!!:D :ok:

singlesettofly
18th Jun 2006, 17:50
I am starting on the 17th July is anyone else starting on that date. I am so excited and feels like it is never going to come around!! Only 4 weeks to go now though!!

broadabroad
18th Jun 2006, 18:18
Hey all!

Training date for LGW EF Aug 14, a friend starting July 10, 3 others starting Aug 28.

Looking forward to it all and just received FSTE training booklets in the mail....

Have heard lots of rumours about EF, just happy to get started!

The lone night stop at my current airline is NCE so it'll be nice to have more than one n/s at LGW. I heard NCL, MAN, LPL, EDI, GLA, ABZ....are TLS and MRS also on there? Or is that GB airways? Aside from that I heard LH destinations of IAH, ANU, KIN and let's face it that's as far as my airport codes knowledge takes me ;).....also Barbados, Santa Lucia, Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando and Tampa. Can anyone confirm\deny the nightsopts for LGW EF? Much appreciated!

Re: staff travel.......I heard something about 10 free return tickets per year for anyone anywhere on the network. Is someone seriously taking the piss? That's the impression I have!!! :hmm:

Thanks in advance for answers to the annoying questions....I could discuss ad nauseam....

Cheers
Broad :p

Off Stand
18th Jun 2006, 18:51
You def do not get 10 free tickets a year!!! You qualify for staff travel after 6 months, get a free ticket after 7 years.

As for the routes, BA do not flying into LPL from LGW. The long haul routes are not confirmed as yet as some may/will be moving up to LHR.

broadabroad
19th Jun 2006, 11:42
thanks offstand, i figured someone was having a laugh!

how about the staff travel....with two parents and three sisters in vancouver canada, what can i hope for in terms of staff travel? can some of them travel on my staff travel? would i have enough days off every couple of months to go home to see them?

thanks a lot!

love2flyxxx
21st Jun 2006, 20:20
Don't take my word 100% as im still trying to figure out staff travel fully my self but I have been told that you can put your parents and 1 sibiling on your concessions list. You then have something called hotline tickets. This is a discounted fare, booked online. But the amount of discount depends on the time of year/ how busy the route is etc.
And the down side is you have to pay for all hotline tickets on your card.

Goodnews is you get 20 Hotlines a year and all 5family members travelling at the same time just counts as 1 hotline occasion.

As for night stops. At the moment you can also add amsterdam, bolonga (sorry, i really can't spell!) and jersey to that short haul list.

AS I said though people, PLEASE correct me if im wrong!!!

broadabroad
21st Jun 2006, 22:33
thanks for the inside info, i really appreciate it! the hotline thing sounds like a good deal though since i want to go on holiday just once with my family.....just once!!!

flyer55
22nd Jun 2006, 09:52
Broadband , you do get nightstops in the uk and europe and sometime layover days , as well . Current nitestops are NCL, MAN, EDI, GLA, ABZ, JER, AMS, GVA, TLS , MRS, BLQ, and in the winter you get DUB. Longhaul at moment are Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Bermuda, Barbados, Kingston, Antigua with shuttles to Stlucia, Tobago, Genada.
Some routes may go upto LHR and if they do routes will move down to LGW as their is no room for them, so watch this space .

Regarding your staff travel it will all be covered on your training course.

GaryJon
28th Jun 2006, 12:08
Can anyone tell me if BA crew get any kind of rail concession or special deals from Victoria to LGW? I live in London and will be commuting.

A freind of a friend.....etc. knows cc at GB Airways and they think they get some sort of discounted travelcard. Would this also apply to us?

I've spoken to people in recruitment but they don't know.

Thanks
Gary

apaddyinuk
28th Jun 2006, 13:00
Gary, The rail operators do provide some sort of discount for airport workers out of LGW. I believe you have to get some sort of card from the BAA or something, I always drove when based in LGW so dont actually know the deal but yes there is a discount available.

Off Stand
28th Jun 2006, 13:55
When you get your ID, go to the LGW Express ticket counter and you get a staff discount card. When travelling on Thameslink or Southern, show your ID when buyin your ticket at the ticket counter. Unfortunately, I believe that you only get the discount when purchasing tickets from LGW. Ask at Victoria train station.

Word of advice though, when getting the train in for training, try and get to LGW min of 45 minutes before the start of the course, can take a while to actually get to hanger 6.

Good luck!!!

GaryJon
28th Jun 2006, 14:41
Thanks everyone for all your advice, it's greatly appreciated:)

I had thought about driving but I'm terrified that if something happens on the M25 I could be stuck there for hours.....not something I'd want to risk during the training.

Thanks again!

vincente
28th Jun 2006, 23:14
Hi guys i have applied for BA LGW but i want to live in MRS in France is it really possibe to commute on LGW BA from france ?

yehuda_manning
29th Jun 2006, 02:41
first of all i just got a call to say im in ! i start training in july .thanx for all the help till now your all just too good!!1
and now to a few questions
1 im a bit confused about the type of flights in the lgw fleet: are there many layovers if so how long are they, and where

2 what is the average salary .after all the extras. i can expect

3 are there any returns for travelling expenses

4 is it possible timewise to study for a degree whilst working

5 what is the average amount of flieng hours per month

im a bit disorientated its just things obvusily work so much differently than the airline i presently work for

yehuda_manning
7th Jul 2006, 01:24
first of all i just got a call to say im in ! i start training in july .thanx for all the help till now your all just too good!!1
and now to a few questions
1 im a bit confused about the type of flights in the lgw fleet: are there many layovers if so how long are they, and where

2 what is the average salary .after all the extras. i can expect after all incl

im a bit disorientated its just things obvusily work so much differently than the airline i presently work for

I Just Want To Fly
7th Jul 2006, 05:07
Congratulations!

Please let us know which airline you are working for, as there are many airlines operating out of LGW.

Then I'm sure someone can try to answer your questions.

:)

lgw29
7th Jul 2006, 07:18
i take it from when you say lgw fleet you are talking about BA if so this is about ba

we do two sector days, 4 sector days, 3 sectors nightstop 3 sectors the next also there are 3 and 4 day trip's and from oct the long haul routes
the nightstops are ncl man gla edi abz jer ams tls blq mrs gva then when the long haul starts we will have orlando barbados bamuda antiga huston dallas tampa jamaica.
2 what is the average salary .after all the extras. i can expect after all incl

it all depneds what you bid for to work but if u look at taking around £1100 per month.

no you pay for your travelling expences to work

it is possible i know who study on nightstops and don't go out

you can work up to a max of 900 hours per year tou will get a miniam of 9 days off a month

hope this helps

BA CLASSIC
7th Jul 2006, 16:58
Hello ,
So if your based at LGW , What would be one's normal take home wage ?
Is it really £1100 .

Kind Regards

lgw29
8th Jul 2006, 08:54
i would say look around that mark it all depends what you bid for and what u get on your rosters to what u earn

flybywire
8th Jul 2006, 19:56
it so depends on the kind of duties you do, whether you have any time off sick/leave and also if you think that your BA crew card (the card that allows you to withraw your allowances in advance when you're overseas) is a card that just produces money that comes from nowhere!!!!!!!
I.E. the more you use it the lower your salary the following month as what you owe is taken directly from your salary.
(be wise people or you can easily find yourselves in trouble!!! Moderation is the only way :ok: )

yellowdog
11th Jul 2006, 11:04
Sorry for bragging but I am so excited.

The results for Cabin Manager are just out, I just received the e-mail.

"I am delighted to inform you that following your application and discussion for a position on the Cabin Manager Development Programme you have been successful - congratulations!"

Again sorry for bragging but this a quick way of telling my friends out there in cyberspace.

yd

flyer55
11th Jul 2006, 11:12
Yellowdog - doesnt everybody find out wednesday / thursday this week ?

flyer83
11th Jul 2006, 11:15
Well done YD.

I'm back at work after 3 weeks leave tomorrow night i'll be interested to hear word as to who has the job!

lgw29
11th Jul 2006, 14:11
yellow dog well done i got it myself too. not heard about anyone not getting it yet.

Pax Agent
12th Jul 2006, 10:23
Hi Guys! My contract with my current airline finishes at the end of October and while i'm waiting to see what happens there i'm hoping to apply for BA. Problem is I don't want to apply to early and leave my job too soon or apply too late and be out of work for 2 months waiting for the training date to come round!? Anyone know what the current waiting times are??? Also the latest recruitment for LGW closes on 14th July.....if i wait untill next month will there be another recruitment drive on ba.com??? They seem to have been pretty much back to back recruitment but the must be finishing soon...just don't want to miss the boat (or plane!)

Any help appreciated!

Steve X

flyer55
12th Jul 2006, 18:15
Congratulations yellowdog and lgw 29 on your new positions , I got it as well !

lgw29
12th Jul 2006, 19:37
well done flyer 55 role on the 777 the best bit not too many flights with 3 crew

banewboi
31st Jul 2006, 10:35
For those who were asking about staff travel:

you can have one of these options and these can be changed once a year:

yourself and a partner who you live with (need a solicitor's letter to prove it) can claim full concessions and travel separately.

yourself and a travel companion, you can only travel together though

yourself and 3 close family members who again can only travel with you.

you can also claim for 2 dependant children, who can independantly use full concessions.

as part of the one world agreement, parents are also allowed 4 id90's per year with a max of 6 sectors per ticket.

the concessions are:

unlimited id90's: this is a 90% discount on the fully flexible fare and is fully refundable if it isn't used but is on a standby basis.

id80's: this is an 80% discount on the fully flexible fare and is fully refundable it is a confirmed seat but only if the company says so, so isn't really that great.

after 7 years id100: a free ticket except taxes, fully flexible,

after 10?: a confirmed id100, (i think.)

lots of people commute for long haul from shuttle routes i.e. man, ncl, edi etc using id90's.

hope it helps

flybywire
31st Jul 2006, 11:33
For those who were asking about staff travel:
you can have one of these options and these can be changed once a year:
yourself and 3 close family members who again can only travel with you.

Just to clarify, both my sister and my mum are on my concessions and they can travel independently. The only difference is that the standby code is "C" (that means relative of a serving staff) instead of "A" (like it would me mine and my partner living with me.)
Retired staff have a "B" code.

after 10?: a confirmed id100, (i think.)

I think you get two ID100.

WeLieInTheShadows
1st Aug 2006, 14:51
I think you get two ID100.

Nope. You get one ID100 OR an ID90 "bookable" which give you higher upgrade priority (i.e. if there's room, and of course after all the other staff with higher priority than you have been onloaded and upgraded etc etc).

All available on the intranet under staff travel policy. It's complicated stuff but nice to know.

sammyjayne
2nd Aug 2006, 14:58
hiya, starting my training for BA at gatwick on the 2nd Oct, just seeing if anyone else is doing the training? Also i have heard the training is fun, and that there are tests. Are the tests hard to pass or is it common sense...
I live in bracknell so it would take me 1hr if there is no traffic to get to gatwick, do alot of people tend to stay in hostels or short term accommodation for the 5wk training course. Thanks :O

flybywire
2nd Aug 2006, 16:46
hiya, starting my training for BA at gatwick on the 2nd Oct, just seeing if anyone else is doing the training? Also i have heard the training is fun, and that there are tests. Are the tests hard to pass or is it common sense...
I live in bracknell so it would take me 1hr if there is no traffic to get to gatwick, do alot of people tend to stay in hostels or short term accommodation for the 5wk training course. Thanks :O

Hello!
Welcome to LGW!!!
I am working in the training department (3rd floor) at the moment so I will probably be taking care of the admin part of your course!!
Do not worry about exams, if you follow the lessons you won't have any problems, as they teach you ALL that you need to know to pass the exams and,more importantly,to do your job in the best way possible!

Well done on getting your job, looking forward to seeing you in the canteen for lunch!!!! :}

tuismile
12th Aug 2006, 13:15
OMG FLYBYWIRE!!

I'm on the 2nd floor at the moment doing my training!!!!!! Fancy that!! So close, yet soooo far!! lol

Sammyjayne, the training is really good. I'm not going to lie and say it's easy, becasue it's not. I've just finished my first week and have had 3 exams which luckily I passed (phew!!!) Just like anything in life, if you put the work in, you will get the result. You may join and realise the airline isn't for you or you may stay and do the work.

There are a few people at work, who are staying at hostels around the area. I live in Essex and it takes me and hour and a half to get to LGW at the moment. You never know, there may be someone else who lives in Bracknell who youcan car pool with!!

Good luck for your training. Work hard, and most of all have fun!! Hope to fly with you soon!!!

gymlizzy
14th Aug 2006, 14:46
Hi

I am also starting my training on the 2nd of October:O , how is the course going? can you give me any info on the exams you sat in the first week? Anything would be a great help. thanks so much for your time. Just cant wait....................

Paula x:)

flymiss
14th Aug 2006, 18:49
This is not meant to be a dig at anyone but can someone please tell me why everyone seems to be falling over each other to join a company that pays less than £10k basic a year and in return expect almost blood, e.g. middle of the night (ok, early early morning) trips and standby, and all you get on top is less than £2 an hour flying pay. A 10 hr duty day (that's a long day in anyones book) will earn you £15 after tax!
Most would be hard pushed to earn £14k a year in total, before tax, after you've taken holidays, sickness and training (all basic pay only) into consideration. In fact BA is saying an average £500 per month extra on top of basic. Well, that'll be 9-10 months a year on average.
The only reason it seems that this single fleet got going is because all the longhaul crew got a promise of Heathrow transfers which most were desperate for and the shorthaul crew are delighted to get a bit more variety with some longhaul work at LGW, albeit the crappiest trips imaginable. They are the only real winners and good luck to them as they've been the poor relations for years, always voicing their dissent at their conditions.
There is a huge difference between LGW and LHR in that crew on the same basic earn a lot more money at LHR as the allowance is based on meals, not hours so it is overall, considerably more, especially when nightstops are involved.
Unless you are lucky enough to live locally, the chances are you'll use at least a gallon of petrol each way, thats £9 a day for a there and back. You'd have to work 6 hours (after tax) just to pay for the petrol, never mind the wear and tear of the car. I'm sure that many days are spent on standby at the airport so if you're not used, that's a charity trip. Those on Long Haul standby might sit at home for 7-10 days earning nothing at all, and that could happen every 3 months. OK, that is worst case scenario but still entirely possible.
Most new entrants will probably only fly on shorthaul initially as the existing crew will be the first to be trained up on the 777. I admit that long haul work will be more lucrative as you'll spend longer away from base so a US nightsop of 48hrs is going to give you a reasonable allowance, but how often is that going to happen.
Am I missing something here? or is there some pot at the end of the runway(rainbow).
I mean no disrespect whatsoever to all the crew at LGW, I just want to understand if I am missing something. I think it's the greatest job but everyone deserves to earn a decent living doing it. I just cannot see, looking at bajobs.com how that is possible.
I wish everyone the very best on the new fleet and hope you all have great fun.

tuismile
14th Aug 2006, 19:40
This is not meant to be a dig at anyone but can someone please tell me why everyone seems to be falling over each other to join a company that pays less than £10k basic a year and in return expect almost blood, e.g. middle of the night (ok, early early morning) trips and standby, and all you get on top is less than £2 an hour flying pay. A 10 hr duty day (that's a long day in anyones book) will earn you £15 after tax!
Most would be hard pushed to earn £14k a year in total, before tax, after you've taken holidays, sickness and training (all basic pay only) into consideration. In fact BA is saying an average £500 per month extra on top of basic. Well, that'll be 9-10 months a year on average.
The only reason it seems that this single fleet got going is because all the longhaul crew got a promise of Heathrow transfers which most were desperate for and the shorthaul crew are delighted to get a bit more variety with some longhaul work at LGW, albeit the crappiest trips imaginable. They are the only real winners and good luck to them as they've been the poor relations for years, always voicing their dissent at their conditions.
There is a huge difference between LGW and LHR in that crew on the same basic earn a lot more money at LHR as the allowance is based on meals, not hours so it is overall, considerably more, especially when nightstops are involved.
Unless you are lucky enough to live locally, the chances are you'll use at least a gallon of petrol each way, thats £9 a day for a there and back. You'd have to work 6 hours (after tax) just to pay for the petrol, never mind the wear and tear of the car. I'm sure that many days are spent on standby at the airport so if you're not used, that's a charity trip. Those on Long Haul standby might sit at home for 7-10 days earning nothing at all, and that could happen every 3 months. OK, that is worst case scenario but still entirely possible.
Most new entrants will probably only fly on shorthaul initially as the existing crew will be the first to be trained up on the 777. I admit that long haul work will be more lucrative as you'll spend longer away from base so a US nightsop of 48hrs is going to give you a reasonable allowance, but how often is that going to happen.
Am I missing something here? or is there some pot at the end of the runway(rainbow).
I mean no disrespect whatsoever to all the crew at LGW, I just want to understand if I am missing something. I think it's the greatest job but everyone deserves to earn a decent living doing it. I just cannot see, looking at bajobs.com how that is possible.
I wish everyone the very best on the new fleet and hope you all have great fun.

From what I've just read, I assume you are LHR based or not BA crew at all??? And to say it is not a dig and no disrespect is quite hypocritical I feel as I think that this is quite disrespectful. Some people wait their whole lives to become cabin crew and happen to get it with BA and to hear that after trying so hard can MOST DEFINATELY put a downer on people. And believe it or not, some people can actually survive on the money that they are earning at LGW. They may not have 10 bedroom mansions and 6 Range Rovers like LHR but are doing just fine!!!

Als I think you'll find that I'm a new entrant and I have just been trained on the 777 so I think I might be doing a bit of longhaul somewhere along the line!! And if a lot of the main crew are being promoted to pursers, who's gonna be the main crew?!!!! The pursers' family??????

Promotion is 2 years at LGW whereas at LHR you will be waiting a lifetime!!! And some people really want to work for BA and it just so happens that they are only recruiting for LGW. And even if some people are looking for transfers, we all have to start somewhere. Unfortunately not everybody can start right at the top where you obviously did!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

flybywire
14th Aug 2006, 19:57
OMG FLYBYWIRE!!

I'm on the 2nd floor at the moment doing my training!!!!!! Fancy that!! So close, yet soooo far!! lol

Hello!!!!

So close yet so far???
Come to see me in your break!!! I am in mon-fri 9am-4.30pm I am on the 3rd floor in the main training department.....you will immediately know who I am, I promise you....

Hope your training is going well!!!

FBW:E

flybywire
14th Aug 2006, 20:05
Flymiss....

I don't know who you are, and to be honest I don't think I'll ever wonder more than I am wondering right now.

However, can I just say that your post doesn't sound nice at all, it's totally out of place here as this is trying to be a helpful thread for Gatwick Fleet new entrants. Starting a new job is always stressing and our guys and girls don't really need any extra worries right now.

Can I also say, you should get your facts right before you speak as the terms and conditions have changed since you probably last asked/heard about LGW t&c. Hourly pay has improved and is about 2.50 and guess what, all our allowances are now 100% tax free. The only thing we pay tax on is basic and in-flight retail commission. Also, all new entrants since last week are trained on the 777. And this is as sure as hell as I am the one doing the paperwork.

I am sure there are lots of other incorrect things in your post, but you'll forgive me if after a few lines I felt it was useless to continue reading.

Please cheer up......it might not be the career for you, and that's ok. Nobody is begging you to come and work for us or to stay with us.

Good luck.....:rolleyes:

FBW

flymiss
14th Aug 2006, 20:52
Thank you Tuismile & FBW, It really is not meant to be disrespectful and I was asking if there was something else, given some of the information I have read about the new fleet.
I was merely asking the question about the overall package. Well you answered that.
I'm sure that info will help a lot more people decide.
Good luck.

lgw29
15th Aug 2006, 08:59
somehow i think that flymiss did not get the job with ba and is a bit peaed off. before he starts slating us a GF he should get his facts right !!!!!!

fly1605
16th Aug 2006, 17:13
Flymiss....

I don't know who you are, and to be honest I don't think I'll ever wonder more than I am wondering right now.

However, can I just say that your post doesn't sound nice at all, it's totally out of place here as this is trying to be a helpful thread for Gatwick Fleet new entrants. Starting a new job is always stressing and our guys and girls don't really need any extra worries right now.

Can I also say, you should get your facts right before you speak as the terms and conditions have changed since you probably last asked/heard about LGW t&c. Hourly pay has improved and is about 2.50 and guess what, all our allowances are now 100% tax free. The only thing we pay tax on is basic and in-flight retail commission. Also, all new entrants since last week are trained on the 777. And this is as sure as hell as I am the one doing the paperwork.

I am sure there are lots of other incorrect things in your post, but you'll forgive me if after a few lines I felt it was useless to continue reading.

Please cheer up......it might not be the career for you, and that's ok. Nobody is begging you to come and work for us or to stay with us.

Good luck.....:rolleyes:

FBW

Well said flybywire!! Flymiss you are entitled to express your opinion on here like anyone else but I cant help feeling that your post does nothing other than to scare new entrants at LGW and anger existing crew. You stated the incorrect hourly rate which shows that your facts are generally incorrect.

I have been online at LGW for a few months now and having flown for four years prior for a major low cost competitor had a good knowledge of how BA worked and how LGW was different to LHR. I read many posts on here about working conditions at LGW many of which turned out to be incorrect. Scaremongering serves no purpose whatsoever. It is important the people involved are aware that they will not earn LHR money as part of the new Gatwick Fleet and that in all fairness the money should be better but there are two sides to every coin. Do not forget however that Gatwick Fleet joins the NSP in October and the mixed flying is as we stand now unprecedented and therefore very appealing and exciting.

I would like to earn LHR money and I do think that there is a valid argument for some sort of equality bearing in mind the 'poor relation' feeling is apparant online and must cause some sort of demoralisation but compared to my previous airline BA LGW is a dream.

yellowdog
16th Aug 2006, 19:27
Do not forget however that Gatwick Fleet joins the NSP in October

fly1605 not sure where you have got this info from but as far as I am aware the NSp discussions have still not been concluded and still may be as far away as ever. Lets hope not but please don't hold your breath.

Please read further back in the thread as to what this really means to GF.

YD

ps FBW is your sickness getting any better?

flybywire
16th Aug 2006, 20:21
fly1605 not sure where you have got this info from but as far as I am aware the NSp discussions have still not been concluded and still may be as far away as ever. Lets hope not but please don't hold your breath.
Please read further back in the thread as to what this really means to GF.
YD
ps FBW is your sickness getting any better?

Correct, as far as I am aware the NSP talks are ongoing...

Thank you YD, I feel much better and so does the little one (apparently) so we're back to our new routine at H6!!! :}
I hope the disruptions haven't disrupted your life too much :ok:

FBW

newbagr
17th Aug 2006, 11:29
well guys i know we shouldnt discuss numbers here but i think if some people would be able to give an average estimate of take home a month during a average/busy month would help so much decide if we can do it....its best to know and decide before you join instead of joining taking someone else's position and then look for an other position....so if anyone who works at LGW currently could tell me i would be more than grateful....and an other final question...is it possible to commute you think or there is loads of there and backs?thank you all guys and happy flying

WeLieInTheShadows
17th Aug 2006, 15:32
There are no figures as we haven't started mixed flying yet.

Pay can vary depending onamount of trips you do.

As for communting. Where from?

newbagr
17th Aug 2006, 17:31
well thanks for offering advice but i asked an estimate of take home for current ef gatwick staff.....and then hope for something more when single fleet kicks in!....commuting from 2 hours drive:-(

WeLieInTheShadows
17th Aug 2006, 21:02
As I have not been main crew at EFLGW for a long time I wouldn't like to comment.

However this is an extensive thread that has been running for a long time.

I'm sure the answers you seek are in here somewhere.

EFLGW has commuters from Mauritius, Germany, Spain, Canada, America, Wales, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, and even....Southampton!

I'd say you'll be ok.

YONGE
18th Aug 2006, 13:06
Hi Flybywire

Im existing BA Staff in CBA. Just noticed LGW recruitment has closed. Do you think it will be reopening again at any time in the near future. Appreciate any advice!

flybywire
18th Aug 2006, 17:05
Hi Flybywire

Im existing BA Staff in CBA. Just noticed LGW recruitment has closed. Do you think it will be reopening again at any time in the near future. Appreciate any advice!

Hi Yonge!!

Yes you're correct indeed, the recruitment for EF LGW has closed. However, I would keep an eye on ejobscan as I would think they are going to recruit for SF LFW sooner or later. As for what I have seen all courses up to november included seem to have been filled already, however I have heard they are planning to have courses till the end of february.

This is the first massive recruitment for BA in a very long time, and since it has overwhelmed even those people who were prepared for it we have to allow a bit of "backlong" in the system, I am sure that as soon things start going smoothly again everything will be clearer for all of us!

As for the person who asked about money at LGW eurofleet, I would say that for a New Entrant 1200 a month could be a good start. It really depends on how well you bid, and on the kind of flights you do. Usually I suggest to bid for ANY trip of two days or longer, without specifying the kind of night-stop you want. Also I would refrain putting any other bids in (like days off, or "avoid" bids) to give your preference the whole 200 points.
We really have lots of 2day-6sector trips, and it's more likely for you to get trips rather than there&backs with this kind of bid.

I hope this can help you, however do not panic if it seems like Japanese at first, as you'll get trained on how to use Carmen during your Customer Service Training.

Happy flying everybody (I am sooooo envious...:{ )

FBW

PS: guys please when you come to do your training course please be punctual every day and PLEASE...take in as much information during the class as possible. It will really help you pass the tests.... I cannot stress enough how important it is to be well rested for the lessons and very attentive during any class, be it medical or customer service. You'll need to be fresh especially for SEP as it's really intense and there's an awful lot to take in. They are really strict as well as if you can't do things properly in a simulation there's no way you can save your backside in an emergency. So please, remember it only lasts for 5 weeks so give your 101% during that time. I promise you you'll have lots of time to party afterwards :E
It really hurts me when I see people failing and even having their contracts terminated because they failed the exams.
I don't want to scare you but just tell you the facts.....if you are attentive and follow the instructions of your trainers I am sure you'll have no problems!!! :ok:

angelwings2006
18th Aug 2006, 21:51
Does anyone know if BA are recruiting at the present for cabin crew?

flybywire
19th Aug 2006, 09:31
It looks like they have suspended it for a little while (overwhelming demand and backlog I suppose) however keep checking their recruitment site if you're interested as I am sure it will start again at some point.

YONGE
21st Aug 2006, 10:06
Hi

Thanks for that, I'll keep checking ejobscan. I'd rather wait to see what happens with the single fleet, salary etc as I will be commuting.

Appreciate the help!!

Y x

AlanJM
23rd Aug 2006, 20:24
My girlfriend is starting with BA Gatwick on 2 October. Does anyone know what BAs conditions are regarding holidays and bidding for them. The reason I am asking is unfortunately we booked a holiday to South Africa in April for January 2007 for 3 weeks. Any chance she will be able to get this? Thanks

flybywire
23rd Aug 2006, 21:04
My girlfriend is starting with BA Gatwick on 2 October. Does anyone know what BAs conditions are regarding holidays and bidding for them. The reason I am asking is unfortunately we booked a holiday to South Africa in April for January 2007 for 3 weeks. Any chance she will be able to get this? Thanks

Hello.....

Bidding for holidays will be explained to your girlfriend during her course. However, when she starts she won't be able to bid for winter '06 as the bidding season has just closed!!

The good news is they will try to accomodate her leave anyway (I remember they did it with me and they do it with all New Entrants if operationally possible). :ok:

The bad news is that since she joined in october her normal leave will be pro-rated. Normal entitlement is 28 days provided the employment starts on the 1st of April, so she'll only be entitled about 14 days. :(
She can try to request to add two days off to the end of it (making the total about 16 days) but they can refuse that as our contract says we can ask to wrap 2 days off only at the time when we bid for our leave.
That also means that if she takes all the leave she's entitled to in one go she won't have any more days until the end of March 2007.

I hope this helps - although probaly it's not what you were expecting to hear!

Good luck

FBW

AlanJM
23rd Aug 2006, 22:41
Thanks for the speedy reply, do you think she should email BA now and request it? Or let them know when she begins training, or only when she begins flying? Thanks

flybywire
24th Aug 2006, 07:34
Thanks for the speedy reply, do you think she should email BA now and request it? Or let them know when she begins training, or only when she begins flying? Thanks

No need to hurry and email BA now, don't worry. To be honest with you the paperwork for her course is just coming through now, so I do not really think that anybody would be ready to take a leave request just yet.As far as I know the delegates on her course haven't been assigned a staff number yet, so her request would probably get lost.
The Scheduling Manager always visits the new entrant courses once within the first two weeks, so she'll be able to talk to him personally.

One thing worth mentioning, our leave agreement is quite good, provided there's one slot of leave available I can call them today and have a leave day tomorrow, irrespectively of the kind of duty I have. This is only valid for LGW contract.
For longer periods, to avoid long roster disruptions and to make sure the leave is available for the entire time, it's best to book it through Voice before the Scheduling department starts building that month's roster. Usually 2 months before, so for january the latest she should book it is the beginning of november.

I know it sounds confusing, but I promise you it is not. She'll be given the Memorandum of Agreements which clearly explains what I have said at the beginning of her course.

Good luck and have a nice holiday!

PS: seven days leave are intended seven consecutive days, including sat&sun....very different from how offices work where you can take mon-fri and have sat&sun off anyway :(

moo moo
24th Aug 2006, 12:17
Hi all, I’ve just discovered this web site. I’m currently working on the 6-month contract at LHR for WW, and am being transferred to LGW, when my 6 months are up.

I have to say I was a little worried about going to LGW i.e. lack of money night stops etc, but I can honestly say I’m really looking forward to it now….
Hope to see some of you guys online soon
Take care,
Moo moo ;)

Off Stand
24th Aug 2006, 16:36
Hey Moo Moo!!

You'll have a good laugh on the new fleet. There has been a mass in flux of new crew. When you begin to operate the long haul flights, they will be looking to you for your 6 months experience on the 777.

I am one of the worldwide crew going to LHR, but not until Feb, so will most likely see you around Jubilee House.

tofster
24th Aug 2006, 17:40
Hi All,
Well it seems that BA are trying to strip us at Gatwick once again! Have just heard that there will be NO breakfast provided down route on long haul routes out of LGW. NO meal voucher and nothing in lieu!!!
Notices are going around the base but we need everyone to write to the unions and company voicing your oppinions! We really do need to stick together on this one, especially you new guys coming online!

Fingers crossed.

T xx

lord mash
1st Sep 2006, 09:45
Whats happening with NSP agrrement will single fleet be part of NSP or are deiscussions still ongoing? Does it apply to everyone exisiting staff and new starters? thanks

newbagr
1st Sep 2006, 12:34
well i am wondering the same...i thought that gatwick fleet will be joining the NSP from october the 1st 2006! is that changed then?

superairhostess
2nd Sep 2006, 09:38
I'd like to know about the NSP as well please

flybywire
2nd Sep 2006, 17:48
As far as I know, talks are still ongoing. (The unions had some other major issues to deal with before talking about the NSP, apparently....)
So, nothing new.

yellowdog
2nd Sep 2006, 19:00
well i am wondering the same...i thought that gatwick fleet will be joining the NSP from october the 1st 2006! is that changed then?

newbagr, the joining has never been conditional of the new fleet.

Just like fbw i understand the talks are still ongoing.

Speaking to both unions recently, it seems there is still the major issue of where the gatwick fleet would fit into the NSP seniority list. I still think that we should go in where we belong and fit in with our original DOJ.

More importantly at the moment is the fact that the company want to not give us bed and breakfast at our longhaul destinations. I urge you all to write to your union immediately and tell them exactly how you feel about this situation, not to out words into your mouth, but it stinks to high heaven:mad: :mad: :mad:

yd

SuperBoy
6th Sep 2006, 17:20
Got the NEW Memorandum of agreements for the Gatwick fleet this morning. Makes for interesting reading but now it seems I have more questions than answers. :p

Go figure :ok::ok::ok::ok:

Pax Agent
6th Sep 2006, 17:49
Can you update us on those changes??

tuismile
6th Sep 2006, 21:35
Well aparently according to the MOA, they've finally got a date to talk about Gatwick/Single/One fleet (or whatever we're called) joining the NSP!! Whether it will be resolved on that day is a different story all together!!!

yellowdog
7th Sep 2006, 21:17
Well aparently according to the MOA, they've finally got a date to talk about Gatwick/Single/One fleet (or whatever we're called) joining the NSP!! Whether it will be resolved on that day is a different story all together!!!

tuismile,

although I haven't read it cover to cover, can you point me to the page in the MOA that mentions this.

yd

tuismile
10th Sep 2006, 14:58
You know what...don't bother.... I never read it in the MOA :bored: sorry!!! It was in one of the unions newsletters!!!! SORRY!!!