PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Ir/imc

Jaydee27
19th Dec 2005, 09:30
After an extensive thrawl through LASORS, can anybody confirm that a PPL IR lapses to an IMC rating after 12 months and for 12 months. I understand this happens with a CPL IR, but cannot find evidence that the same happens with a private license.

Thanks in advance...

mad_jock
19th Dec 2005, 09:42
The IR is a stand alone rating which doesn't change its rules depending to the type of license its attached to.

So it doesn't matter if its PPL,CPL or ATPL it does the same thing after 12 months.

MJ

RodgerF
19th Dec 2005, 10:27
I think you are thinking of the CAA CPL or ATPL. They have non-expiring IMC privileges as part of the base licence. So when the IR expired the instrument privileges remaining were derived from the base licence not the IR.

Keygrip
19th Dec 2005, 13:09
My understanding is that both JD and MJ are correct - but speaking on different subjects/

My other understanding is that the subsequent IMC privilidges (on I/R expiry) are valid for 10 years.

Whopity
19th Dec 2005, 18:46
The IMC ratig is not valid without a Certificate of Test - ANO 2005 Article 31.
In order for your 12 month IR to lapse to a 25 month IMC rating, the rating will have to be in Part XII of your Licence and you will need a valid Certificate of Test; this could have been signed by the IRE/CRE when you completed the last IR test.

Without that, your IR does not lapse to an IMC rating.

If you hold a UK CPL or ATPL then the licence only prohibits IFR flight in Class A, B and C controlled airspace; therefore you do not need an IMC rating to fly IFR in Class E, F and G airspace.

If you hold a JAA licence regardless of type, you cannot fly IFR without either a valid IR or a UK IMC rating for which a Cof T is required.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20E.pdf

RodgerF
20th Dec 2005, 09:07
Quote:

If you hold a UK CPL or ATPL then the licence only prohibits IFR flight in Class A, B and C controlled airspace; therefore you do not need an IMC rating to fly IFR in Class E, F and G airspace.

And Class D. Holders are also exempt from the 1800m vis rule for take off and landing and the 3k min vis for SVFR, and no requirement for C of T.