PDA

View Full Version : Class C VMC

keithl
15th Dec 2005, 10:39
I am trying to establish the minimum VMC for helicopters in Class C airspace. I'm posting here, rather than Rotorheads, to appeal to a wider group of experts - it's a book exercise, after all.

The problem is that the UK AIP says "Clear of cloud and in sight of the surface" (ENR 1-4-4), while JAR-OPS 3 gives 1000ft / 1500 m clear of cloud (App1 to 3.465).

I know there is no Class C in UK airspace, but surely even so, the AIP should quote the same details as JAR because the whole idea of airspace classification was to have common definitions internationally. Wasn't it?

Dear Marge, Where am I going wrong??

brimstone
16th Dec 2005, 16:33
The UK has had a long standing "filed difference" with ICAO regarding VFR in Class D and E airspace. Part of this is the bit about helicopters at and below 3000ft clear of cloud and in sight of the surface. They have now added Class C airspace to this difference for when we get some. (AIP GEN 1.7.7.) Makes sense I suppose.

keithl
16th Dec 2005, 19:32
Thanks, brimstone, that completely answers my question. I didn't spot the addition of Class C to that Difference.