PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Ground Handling incident

night hawk 150
4th Dec 2005, 21:26
HI

yet again there has been another incident at STN involving a ryanair 737-800 and ramp equipment.

today on stand 62L a ramp agent removed the back steps and drove round the back of the CSN and straight in the back of the wing on the First officers side.

not so long ago another accident happened when a ramp agent drove a Baggage buggy into CL making a large hole in the side of the plane.

so all i can say is i would hate to be the insurance company for the handling agent swissport.

Doctor Cruces
5th Dec 2005, 11:21
Woddya expect.
Min wage =min care.
Don't kbnow if they're actually on min wage but you can bet it won't be much more.

Doc C

frogone
5th Dec 2005, 11:36
Min wage, so what!!! It dosen't give them the right to ram the aircraft.

What about the FOs with Astreaus they have to pay for 100 hours! Do they then get right to crash the aircraft becuase they're not getting paid?

Accidents happen, fair enough, but somtimes it's just stupidity.

IR

Rigga
5th Dec 2005, 12:14
Not normally caused by "min wages" or "min care"- but Minimum Training - normally caused by a lack of money in contracts (as 'outsourced' from airlines)

These sort of things now account for many millions in insurance claims per year.

Therefore: (and after many HF investigations)
min contracts = min wages = min training = min knowledge = min care (= Lawyer wage increases!)

G-CPTN
5th Dec 2005, 12:23
Just deduct the cost of the damage AND the delay from the wages of the worker.

the_hawk
5th Dec 2005, 12:37
If one would deduct all the economical costs of our mistakes from our wages, we all wouldn't be too happy with our working lives anymore (just assuming we are now *g*). Get a grip.

night hawk 150
5th Dec 2005, 15:33
G-CPTN

if you take the £££ out of wages after hitting a plane you may as well stop working.

magpienja
5th Dec 2005, 16:54
Peanuts and monkeys comes to mind.

Nick.

night hawk 150
5th Dec 2005, 17:36
i think the reason to why this sort of thing happens is due to lack of staff to my understanding swissport operate a 4 man team, which is not enough to cover a 25 min turnaround

Flyingsand
5th Dec 2005, 18:14
funny how all the other RYR flights out of there manage :rolleyes:

TUGNBAR
5th Dec 2005, 19:03
Did he/she have a banksman............probably not.
Did he/she lower the steps...............probably not.
Will it happen again....................of course.

In trim
5th Dec 2005, 19:32
It also comes down to supervision. I know for a fact that with this handling agent (and others!) you can get away with "poor procedure" (I won't go as far as using the term "cutting corners") on a regular basis, but it will go unchallenged.

With many of these incidents there are often numerous "warning signs" and "near misses" which, if challenged, could have prevented the eventual accident. But hey, pro-active supervision costs money, so it just doesn't happen.

£50,000 per year for a couple of reasonable ramp supervisors is now looking like a bargain!!

AlexB
5th Dec 2005, 19:41
Woddya expect. Min wage =min care.

Not so true! I flew BA502 last thursday at LHR, 12.00, the aircraft was struck by a handling vehicle (the airstairs apparently), departure time was around 14.00, the handling staff at LHR are paid considerably more than those at STN!