PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrome Jobs

ATC_BADGER
1st Dec 2005, 19:59
Hello all,
I just want to test the water a bit here and put a question out to you all...

Does anyone out there know of any UK aerodromes that are looking for tower-only rated controllers or will be in the near future? Or perhaps even ones that would be prepared to take someone on as an ATSA and train them off-duty up as an ATCO with an offer of employment as an ATCO upon succesfuly validating?

I already have my tower ticket (one of the lucky ones to go through NATS college before they changed it all) but have limited controlling experience and have not before started validation training at a unit. Units in Scotland or the North of England would be preferable but I know this may be unlikely and so would be willing to up sticks to any part of the UK so please post any info you have (even if it's only a rumour at this stage).

Thanks all and I'll keep my fingers crossed and my eyes open elsewhere.:ok:

edit : I know this has come up in the past but I couldn't see it recently hence the new post.

chevvron
1st Dec 2005, 20:31
Highlands and Islands Airports in Scotland.
Redhill in the south might be interested.

Get me some traffic
1st Dec 2005, 20:38
Send your CV to all the aerodromes that you would want to work at. There are a lot of jobs out there, mostly unadvertised. Goo Luck.

I meant good luck of course!!!

ATC_BADGER
1st Dec 2005, 21:11
chevvron : I know HIAL were looking for ATSAs fairly recently but I missed the boat on that one. Didn't know they may still be looking for ATCOs. I shall get in touch to see if they have anything to offer.
As for Redhill, I believe they only have around 5 ATCOs total and are a very small unit and probably don't have room for me but if I'm wrong I'll keep them in mind for the future.

Get me some traffic : I did consider this approach but have been reluctant to do so as I don't want to seem desperate. I know all the SATCOs in the local area all keep in touch so I'm not sure if its a good idea. Maybe I'm wrong though so I'll bear it in mind I think if nothing else is forthcoming.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

261A
2nd Dec 2005, 06:16
Give the SATCO/General Manager at Redhill a call and he would be happy to discuss with you.

Go to their website if you havn't already and look at their ATC section.

www.redhillaerodrome.com drop him an email if its easier.
:ok:

CAP493
2nd Dec 2005, 08:38
Also try Wycombe Air Park/Booker.

Good luck!

;)

Barnaby the Bear
2nd Dec 2005, 15:53
Don't worry about seeming desperate. Most SATCO's are too busy with other paperwork to worry about who has applied to who. It is unreasonable to think that every applicant to a unit has been waiting to work only at that one unit.
Send your CV out to the places you would like to work, follow it up with a phone call, and maybe ask for a visit.
The idea is get yourself known, so that when a vacancy arises the SATCO will remember you, and put you top of the pile.
Yes most units would prefer a validated ADC/APP, APR controller, but they are not falling off trees at the moment
Good luck! :}

You may find that if one unit doesn't have a vacancy, they may refer you to their mate down the road who has, or will have!:ok:

ATC_BADGER
2nd Dec 2005, 22:08
Thanks everybody.

I guess I'm going to have to be more pro-active than I have been so far. Up til now I've only written to one a/d and spoken to another but I can see I'm gonna have to get in touch with more and put myself out there a bit.

If anyone does hear of anymore rumours re vacancies please do post.

Speedbird1T
3rd Dec 2005, 07:40
ATC_badger

I'm sure you check Flight's job vacancies. But in case you missed it Biggin Hill are looking for 1 ATCO, closing date 8th Dec. Check out : http://www.flightinternational.com/Jobs/2005/11/10/1450913/Air+Traffic+Control+Officer.html

BAW1T

magpienja
3rd Dec 2005, 16:15
Barton manchester were looking for sombody on there web site.

Nick.

ATC_BADGER
5th Dec 2005, 18:15
I never knew Barton were looking for FISO's. Can anyone tell me how long the training is to become a FISO or indeed how much it might cost at one of the colleges? Or because I have the ADV/ADI could I skip the FISO course? I'm guessing not...

Squadgy
5th Dec 2005, 18:27
The job advertised at Barton is an assistant position.

IIRC ATCOs are exempt from the FISO written exams, but must still undertake the 40hrs minimum OTJT followed by the validation. I wish it was that easy vice-versa!!

Those who need to take the written exams self study at their own pace before taking the exams at CAA Gatwick

magpienja
5th Dec 2005, 18:30
Sorry.

Nick.

ATC_BADGER
5th Dec 2005, 18:54
Thanks guys. I'm off now to find out the details of the few non-nats aerodromes and their SATCOs within a 50 mile radius and get in touch with them over the next week or 2 to arrange some visits.

Fingers crossed something may come of it all.

Ops and Mops
8th Dec 2005, 22:35
From CAP 427:
4 Exempting Qualifications
4.1 The holder of an Air Traffic Controller’s licence who has, within three years
immediately preceding the date of application, held a Unit Licence Endorsement in
respect of the aerodrome control (visual) rating or of the aerodrome control
(instrument) rating is exempt from all requirements for the issue of a FISO licence.

4.2 The holder of a UK Air Traffic Controller’s Licence who has, within three years
immediately preceding the date of application, held a Unit Licence Endorsement in
respect of a rating other than aerodrome control, should contact the ATS Licensing
Section to determine what requirements need to be satisfied for the issue of a FISO
licence.

4.3 The holder of an RAF or RN ATC Certificate of competence endorsed in aerodrome
control during the three years immediately preceding the date of application is
exempt from the written examination in Navigation and Meteorology. A copy of the
relevant military certificate of competence should be submitted with the application
for the issue of a FISO licence.

4.4 The holder of a current UK Flight Crew licence is exempt from the written
examination in Navigation and Meteorology. Details of the licence should be
submitted with the application for the issue of a FISO licence.

As previously stated, the licence holder must still undertake the min 40 hours OJT and validation before "going solo".