PDA

View Full Version : Not only Gill

Dickey Mike
20th Sep 2001, 18:25
A little birdie tells me that not only Gill have ceased trading but British European and Sabena have called in the receivers - anyone able to confirm or hopefully deny this?

Bluebaron
20th Sep 2001, 19:26
where did this info come from? Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Although Sabena have been in trouble a while British European are quite safe i thought. :confused:

UhrCleared-Takeoff
20th Sep 2001, 19:38
Local Exeter paper reporting up to 50 job losses in middle and senior management and supension of the new engineering hangar by British European.
www.thisisexeter.co.uk (http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk)

Hudson Bay
20th Sep 2001, 20:15
British European has today dispatched an aircraft to Newcastle to continue operating to Pari-CDG. A further aircraft will also be based in Paris to operate to Helsinki. It is also hoped a further aircraft will be based in Belfast to operate the Newcastle rotations.

derbyram
20th Sep 2001, 20:49
Just to confirm British European have NOT called in the receivers and have , as posted by Hudson Bay, immediately stepped in to operate BHD-NCL and NCL-CDG to ensure continuity of service. In addition they are accepting all Gill tickets on BHD-NCL for travel until Sunday,in order to assist stranded passengers dispite the fact that they will receive no payment for the carridge of these passengers. It is infact an indication of the support the company receives from their shareholders, along with an excellent response from staff across the company that they could step in so quickly to assist.

knows
20th Sep 2001, 21:12
I know people will say it's a rumour board - but Guys please think carefully before posting mistaken thoughts about airlines going bust.

qrh
20th Sep 2001, 21:34
I have to agree: In the "good" times such banter is generally amusing and thought provoking: Under current dark skies we ALL have to understand that postings here DIRECTLY affect REAL people. NEWS not RUMOUR please!! I shudder to think how many pilots in the UK alone are wondering if they will be in employment after Xmas, so lets all stick together not scare each other senseless!

EGTE
20th Sep 2001, 22:19
A couple of quotes from today's Exeter Express & Echo newspaper reference British European.

"Managing director Jim French told the Echo that between 35 and 50 employees were yesterday advised that their jobs were to go. He said a more precise figure was not available, as some of those staff might be able to move to new positions within the company. The majority of the people to be made redundant would be from middle and senior management."

"But Mr French said the development of the new hangar and an order for a dozen new aircraft costing £400 million would still go ahead."

"Mr French said they would continue to look at the situation and wasn't expecting to have to make further cuts."

A and C
21st Sep 2001, 10:50
The unfortunate departure of gill will make the sittuation for britsh european a lot more comfortable.

It is the employees at gill that i feel for having done the airline falure thing with debonair i know how hard it can be even in a good job market and this is not a good market at the presant time.

HugMonster
21st Sep 2001, 14:15
A&C, Gill was not a failed airline. We were profitable, trading profitably. We had weathered administration and come out the other side. Load factors were increasing month upon month, our overdraft was paid off. BALPA recognition was imminent, and we were in negotiation with management over pay increases.

We were sunk by excess greed and spinelessness by our bank.