PDA

View Full Version : useage of 'HEAVY'

a_320busdriver
24th Nov 2005, 04:04
Was just wondering if someone could clarify for me whether it is a requirement to use the suffix "HEAVY" if your a/c falls into that category. On frequency I hear some carriers using it and some not - is it required?

TMAguide
24th Nov 2005, 05:57
Is it not only used in the US, and Canada? Only pilots I have heard using it.....

catchup
24th Nov 2005, 07:24
To my knowledge it's required also in europe at initial call.

Green on, Go!
24th Nov 2005, 08:24
As of today (24 Nov) it's required in Australia also. It comes from the ICAO 4444.:)

myrtleman
24th Nov 2005, 09:03
Some do; some don't - certainly at LHR. Seems that US & Canada flights use it all the time when appropriate; DLH seem to as well - others not necessarily.

MM

Timothy
24th Nov 2005, 09:15
May I expand the question to the use of the word "Helicopter"?

threemiles
24th Nov 2005, 09:45
FromICAO Doc 4444

4.9.2 Indication of heavy wake turbulence category
For aircraft in the heavy wake turbulence category the word
“Heavy” shall be included immediately after the aircraft call
sign in the initial radiotelephony contact between such aircraft
and ATS units.

Spitoon
24th Nov 2005, 19:44
From the UK's CAP 413 - Chapt 2 para 1.8.2 - on aircraft callsigns "The name of either the aircraft manufacturer, or name of aircraft model, or name of the aircraft category (e.g. helicopter or gyrocopter) may be used as a prefix to the callsign.".

A couple of paras later it says "Aircraft in the heavy wake vortex category shall include the word ‘HEAVY’ immediately after the aircraft callsign in the initial call to each ATSU."

It's worth pointing out that the UK uses non-ICAO wake vortex categories too but offhand I can't remember whether heavies are different.

Milt
24th Nov 2005, 23:46
Where is the division between light and heavy?

When does a Lighty become a Heavy and can a Heavy default to a Lighty with fuel useage?

This is a very weighty question!

Uncommon Sense
25th Nov 2005, 01:59
Fuel Useage irrelevant.

Based on MTOW.

Medium 7000kg+

Heavy 136000kg+

(Super Heavy 200000kg+ - for HVY fol HVY consideration)

Pierre Argh
25th Nov 2005, 08:07
Timothy... your question about the callsign prefix "helicopter" seems to have been ignored... and I'd add "Micro-light" to that list? "Heavy" I can understand, but is there a requirement for these other pre-fixes?

bekolblockage
25th Nov 2005, 09:27
Re 757 : Depends whether its in front of a medium or behind a heavy.

Re the original thread: whole thing is a crock, with any decent RDPS/FDPS having the weight cat in the label and on the paper/electronic strip. More verbosity.

jovica
26th Nov 2005, 08:15
SASKATOON9999

For example, you may find B752/3 is heavy in Austria. That was on request from LOWW APP, after an incident they had with it. So, now on our radar label (Beograd ACC) we have combination of both M and H for B752/3, depending where it's coming from (actually, that's how we find out about Austrians). As far as I was told, the heaviest version of B757 reaches 113.000 kg, so, according to that, it's medium, but due wake it creates, some ATCs are considering it as H.

Tweety
27th Nov 2005, 12:17
IN my book yes as this is a heads up for the controller.

Uncommon Sense
27th Nov 2005, 12:22
To borrow a quaint English phrase - what a load of bollocks.

May I suggest this only snuck in to the lexicon to start with because of an outdated US ATC system patched together.

Even a flight strip - electronic or paper has a bloody H on it, or the ACFT type.

Sorry - just my view. But Bollocks nonetheless.

Scott Voigt
29th Nov 2005, 15:06
Uncommon;

Sir, until you KNOW what you are talking about and do some research, please stop your rude insinuations. The rule came about in the US due to LAWYERS and civil litigation. We are only supposed to use the word Heavy when giving traffic and don't use it for normal transmissions in the US enroute system. Now the pilots seem to like to use it, it shows status and pay level <BG>...

regards

Scott

West Coast
29th Nov 2005, 17:29
As a pilot I like it, helps to keep the SA up. Now I know I don't have the big picture before Scott points it out, but I don't care about your big picture. I care about what affects me. If I can gleen I'm following a heavy in the LA haze where everything looks small by using some awareness to his calls using the heavy in the callsign then I'm better off.

Go ahead Scott, get your dander up that I might have a limited idea of what's around me.