PDA

View Full Version : EDINBURGH

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Scottie
8th Oct 2005, 20:09
So.........

They've started work on the new pier.

The tower should be operational this month.

bmi and other airlines have slated Edinburgh Airport as being slow to expand.

http://business.scotsman.com/transport.cfm?id=2051682005

http://business.scotsman.com/transport.cfm?id=2047902005

What future for the airport of Scotland's capital?

To start the ball rolling I'd like to see prop aircraft like FlyBe and BA Citiexpress etc moved form the main terminal (inlcuding the new pier) and put out on remote stands. This would necessitate the BAA to actually employ some bus drivers to coach passengers to these aircraft, a novel concept for the BAA. This would free up stands for the bigger aircraft. Would also reduce congestions etc etc.

Discuss!

airhumberside
8th Oct 2005, 20:51
I would change the title to caps lock

GoEDI
8th Oct 2005, 21:58
This winter should see good growth continued, with daily flights to GVA courtesy of EZY and GSM, plus new flights to WAW and CO upgrading the EWR-EDI to a daily B762.
The airlines have a point though, the terminal is inadequate just now.

billyg
9th Oct 2005, 08:21
I think EDIs growth could well be stunted over winter/spring due to the problems previously mentioned at peak periods . HLX are pulling Hamburg , GSM are pulling Prague and Jet2 are pulling MAN and there could be more to follow as EZY are reported to be getting disgruntled re delayed departures. I think the fact that EZYS next A319 base is to be GLA speaks volumes about how the airline currently views the gridlock situ at peak times at EDI . I'm sure the next A319 base would have been at EDI, otherwise!

PPRuNeUser0178
9th Oct 2005, 08:51
When (If) EZY goes A319 at GLA, EDI will either be done just before, just after or you could find pilots from both bases on the courses at the same time. As to when the airframes actually arrive will be a scheduling task, but HQ in LTN views EDI and GLA as one SCOTTISH base, so all this talk of who will or wont get airbus up here is irrellevent, when a decision is made it will be that Scotland (EZY) is going airbus and the rest will be down to planning.

They would like to (trying to) dual base us up here anyway, so having one base 737 and the other A319 would make no sense whatsoever!

:cool:

GoEDI
9th Oct 2005, 15:16
I think EDIs growth could well be stunted over winter/spring due to the problems previously mentioned at peak periods . HLX are pulling Hamburg , GSM are pulling Prague and Jet2 are pulling MAN and there could be more to follow as EZY are reported to be getting disgruntled re delayed departures. I think the fact that EZYS next A319 base is to be GLA speaks volumes about how the airline currently views the gridlock situ at peak times at EDI . I'm sure the next A319 base would have been at EDI, otherwise!

But with 2x daily GVA, daily CO B762 to EWR and new flights to HEL and WAW and ARN, that will well outway any negative effect in growth figures. CSA are increasing their PRG-EDI frequency on last winter, so GSM dropping EDI-PRG should have no effect. Jet2 dropping MAN hasn't been confirmed, and if and when they do drop EDI-MAN, there's a possibility it'll be replaced with a more worthwhile route given they already have a base established at EDI.
No reports of EZY being unhappy at EDI, just the hissy fit by bmi the other day, plus EZY's next A319 base is to be BRS, seen nothing confirmed by EZY regarding when GLA or EDI will start seeing A319s based.

Scottie
9th Oct 2005, 18:10
Agree with ezy driver and goEdi. I've been told that EDI would convert to Airbus in Mar/Apr with GLA following shortly afterwords.

There's a reason EZY is going to GVA from EDI and it's probably to do with money. I'm not going to get into EDI v GLA debate so will leave it at that!

The new pier is wanted by no airlines. BA and BD have both said they're not interested in it. It's going to be a long walk and is going to cause problems with pax getting to their gates on time. In addition the apron only has one entry/exit so unless they build another entrance/exit it's going to ba a nightmare just as the exisiting cul-de-sac is.

By making a small pier they've just restricted the size of the airport for the next 20 years. There was a plan for a new terminal where Ingliston Sunday market is. Can't see that happening for a long time so we're stuck with existing gates and perhaps more remote stands and that's it!

Interested in Jet2 pulling off the MAN route. Would have thought they'd have cleaned up on that one since BA/BD have been running EMB145 and Dash 8's there. Can't believe Jet2 were not filling it. Could we see a bun fight between GSM and Jet2 over some international routes?

GoEDI
9th Oct 2005, 22:08
Can't believe Jet2 were not filling it. Could we see a bun fight between GSM and Jet2 over some international routes?

The B733 is just too big for the route, especially when there is already ample air/road/rail links to MAN.
One route that Jet2 could do is EDI-Murcia, Jet2 seem to like Murica.:)

GoEDI
11th Oct 2005, 14:49
BAA have released their traffic figures for September:

http://www.baa.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=3dcb92797dad6010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&ChID=ac4597dc2eb12010VgnVCM100000147e120a____&Ct=B2C_CT_PRESS_RELEASE&CtID=a22889d8759a0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&Ch=All+Press+Releases&ChPath=Home%5ECorporate%5EAll+Press+Releases&ChIDPath=caf397dc2eb12010VgnVCM100000147e120a____^2292ea0bb0 022010VgnVCM100000147e120a____^ac4597dc2eb12010VgnVCM1000001 47e120a____

EDI handled 782 700 pax for the month, a increase of 6.9% on last year.

The annual rolling total is now 8 373 500, an increase of 6.2% on last year.

After a slow start to the year cargo figures are now rocketing again, 22.7% growth this month.

ATMs also showed a strong increase of 6.6% for the month, at 10 245.

A very good month overall for EDI, the strong growth continues!:)

PPRuNeUser0178
14th Oct 2005, 16:22
Interested to note that the ILS and DME has been withdrawn during the day last couple of days and no mention on the NOTAMS, something to do with prooving the new tower, but what has been really surprising is the ATIS, informing us that we can expect a radar vectored approach!!!

NDB? SRA? Vectors for a visual?

Queried this today but approach controller didn't quite get the hint.

Radar vectored approach actually means radar vectors to an NDB with no DME and if you ask they will give you a radar range to start your descent????? But actually relying on a/c calling visual!

All seems very non standard and very surprised that no detailed NOTAM has been issued as to what to expect when they pull the plug on the ILS and DME like this.

Come on guys at least give us a better clue on the ATIS than "radar vectored approach", not everyone is as familiar with EDI and certainly the daily services by the large schedule carriers can have crews on them who have never been to EDI before although the flight number goes every day.

:ok:

Stall-Warner
14th Oct 2005, 21:52
Guys - give EDI management a break!

Do you bus drivers have any idea what it is like to manage an airport?? You chaps seem to think that everyone's job is as simple as yours - trust me, sitting in the left hand seat is very different to being a captain of industry.

You should try it some day, assuming you make the grade...

GrahamK
15th Oct 2005, 08:07
Delta are going to be starting EDI-Atlanta

billyg
15th Oct 2005, 08:30
Yes GK , I can smell the unmistakable whiff of 30 pieces of Scottish Executive silver!

Runway 31
15th Oct 2005, 08:37
Just like Continental got when starting Glasgow-Newark. Does it matter how, why, where, just be happy we have a new destination without going via London.

billyg
15th Oct 2005, 08:47
R31 , the Executive bribes were not in place when COA stated GLA- Newark , they were in evidence when COA "decided" to add EDI. As Delta have been considering GLA - Atlanta recently it is clear that the powers that be have swayed them to operate from their centre of the universe instead!

Richard Taylor
15th Oct 2005, 09:01
Fe Fi Fo Fum,

I smell the whiff of EDI v GLA again... :rolleyes:

Whoever has got ATL,it's great news for SCOTLAND.

Jordan D
15th Oct 2005, 09:32
Indeed - now all we need is an airport railway station, and then the whole of Scotland can access the airport easily!

Jordan

Carnethy
15th Oct 2005, 12:10
Hey that is good news. But haven't read anything about it in the local papers? SO does anyone have any more infor about EDI - Atlanta? Like when does the service start?, aircraft?, etc. Will there be sufficient demand to fly this route? Questions, questions!!

airhumberside
15th Oct 2005, 12:20
An online article from the Scotsman said daily from next May

GoEDI
15th Oct 2005, 16:39
Great news this, almost certainly will be B763. Look forward to finding out more on Tuesday!

Billyg must be forgetting where the majority of the SE's fund is going...

goldeneye
15th Oct 2005, 18:40
Good news, ive just seen the article on the Scotsman website here is the link Edi-Atl (http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=2092402005)

Oshkosh George
16th Oct 2005, 13:35
I read elsewhere ,the main reason for EDI is the preponderance of business travellers(more revenue),against GLA's mainly leisure travellers.

Delta's choice,not the SE.

son of a .....
16th Oct 2005, 18:41
ATL
Great news, have used the EWR a few times but ATL is better for MCO connections. I do hope Delta having just gone into Ch 11 are not using their position to knock Continental off the EWR?
Mind you where I live NCL is a little easier to get to, was hoping Continental were going to do a EWR instead of AA JFK!

saman
17th Oct 2005, 10:32
Great to see a better choice from EDI.

I'm looking forward to EDI-TLS so that I can get away from the Mum-in-law faster! For a related reason, I'm not quite so keen on TLS-EDI!

Saman

GoEDI
18th Oct 2005, 17:16
ATL-EDI now confirmed by DL, but no schedules on their website yet it seems.

Oshkosh George
22nd Oct 2005, 14:21
Jet2 has announced new routes from EDI (apparently!). Very short on detail,I'm afraid.You may have to register to view the very short story---

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=2127212005

I checked the Jet2 website,and nothing there.

Anybody know anything?

GoEDI
22nd Oct 2005, 23:53
No new routes yet! All that has happened is that Jet2 have confirmed their intention to launch a series of new routes, no more detail that that. It was half expected anyway.
One thing we do know for sure about Jet2 and EDI, is that MAN isn't getting dropped, as some would have had you believe recently.

Edinburgh

Manchester - Edinburgh, February & March 06 flights on sale soon!

SASfox
24th Oct 2005, 10:45
Jet2 to start EDI-MJV from 8th April with 2 flights a week increasing to 5 a week from mid summer.

GoEDI
24th Oct 2005, 18:43
More routes to come from Jet2 too!:D

http://www.jet2.com/

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2138102005

Oshkosh George
24th Oct 2005, 22:55
Jet2 are asking where YOU want to fly to from EDI. Fill in your choice on the home page. I like their approach!

GoEDI
25th Oct 2005, 00:21
Jet2 are asking where YOU want to fly to from EDI. Fill in your choice on the home page. I like their approach!

Indeed, although I'm sure they already know what routes they are going to annouce, really. This could just be a nifty way of getting as many email addresses as possible to send out the emails regarding these new routes they have actually already decided on, when they officially announce them in the not too distant future.;)

EI-CFC
25th Oct 2005, 08:21
This could just be a nifty way of getting as many email addresses as possible to send out the emails regarding these new routes they have actually already decided on

Well it seems to accept "mis-typed" addresses :p :D

airhumberside
28th Oct 2005, 13:15
Two new GSM routes next summer

Murcia on Saturdays
Ibiza on Saturdays and Sundays

Scottie
28th Oct 2005, 16:15
So GSM is also going to Murcia from Edinburgh alongside Jet2. Already their is competition between locos at EDI.

All good news for the punters as this will lower fares but how much can Jet2 and GSM afford to bleed?

Already GSM is taking on easyJet on the GVA despite eJ getting the subsidy so easyJet is already at an advantage.

Now GSM is going head to head with Jet2 on Murcia. Could GSM get squeezed badly here?

Already their Stansted service appears to be running poorly. Was listening on the handling frequency recently at STN to here GSM coming in with 42 passengers. This can only be a 33% load factor. Quite what the yield is I don't know.

So what next in the EDI Loco fares wars????

GoEDI
28th Oct 2005, 16:37
Could GSM get squeezed badly here?

It'd be their own fault if they do! With Murcia at such a pitiful frequency though, it's clearly just aimed directly at Jet2 just so Jet2 are aware that EDI is Flyglobespan's territory.;) However, I was hoping they could avoid treading on each others toes like this...:rolleyes: STN loads are certainly picking up, but then, they certainly aren't getting the load factors that EZY get on the STN routes on a regular basis.

GSM have just increased EDI-FAO to daily for next summer and with Ibiza getting annouced too, how possible is it that these were the other routes Jet2 are to annouce imminently? very....?

GoEDI
10th Nov 2005, 14:33
Flyglobespan have annouced EDI-BOH, what are the odds that that was going to be another of Jet2's routes? as well as IBZ?;) GSM certainly aren't going to let Jet2 settle in at EDI, and even after GSM being given the use of Jet2 aircraft when they needed it in the past...;)

GoEDI
23rd Nov 2005, 14:02
SkyEurope have annouced flights to Krakow from next April! Showing as 3x weekly, not sure what good arriving into Krakow at 0055 is going to be though!:eek:

GoEDI
29th Nov 2005, 18:57
Rumour of Centralwings starting Gdansk-EDI, however Centralwings don't serve Gdansk yet, does anyone of their intentions there? Planning to open a base?

Scottie
30th Nov 2005, 04:34
Interesting that none of these routes seem to be able to sustain more than one carrier on them. Margins must be pretty thin.

For instance GSM have pulled out of Prague from EDI as CSA was on the route. Rumour has it they are pulling off the STN from GLA where they are competing with EZY and soon BER. How long before they pull off EDI-STN if BER come on it.

They're going head to head to fend off Jet2 with Murcia and Bournemouth.

My other half flew Jet2, EDI to MAN recently and there were only about 30 people on the flight. BA & BMI both fly on this route.

EDI to GVA is going to be an interesting one. EZY have the subsidy and are flying it year round. GSM aren't so will be interesting to see if they stick with it.

Full marks to GSM and Jet2 for testing the market and being innovative. Hopefully they can find the right mix of routes for them. At the moment it appears GSM wants to knock out Jet 2. At that point I think low cost will become a cartel with nobody treading on each others toes.

matkat
30th Nov 2005, 06:23
I fly EDI-MAn-EDI every week and the numbers are certainly picking up but do agree that sometimes there are about 30 pax on board but this is usually LS781 on Monday morning.

GoEDI
30th Nov 2005, 11:17
I do wonder what expectations Jet2 have for the MAN route, because it would be foolish for them to belive they could fill those B733s on a regular basis, but they seem to want to stick with it!
My one MAN-EDI flight with them probably had 60-70 pax on it.

GrahamK
30th Nov 2005, 12:04
Have BMI dropped EDI-MUC before it begins? Not bookable on the website anymore

GoEDI
30th Nov 2005, 13:57
Looks like it! After all the bollocks in the press about it a few weeks ago it never seemed that stable, bmi themselves aren't that stable!:rolleyes: Ah well, can't see who's going to replace them, LH have always said they weren't interested in diluting their FRA flights by operating to MUC...

GoEDI
6th Dec 2005, 15:25
Centralwings have annouced Gdansk and Katowice today, with Warsaw already started and Krakow annouced last month by SkyEurope there's a bit of a Polish explosion of routes happening!

smith
8th Dec 2005, 12:17
GoEdi

a bit of a Polish explosion of routes happening!
I think is is to provide a service to the Poles working over here, since Poland joined the EU there has been an influx of Poles to the big cities in Scotland and these routes will provide links back to the native land. I don't think the routes have been set up to entice us Scots to the tourist spots of Poland, although I would like to visit there, Raynair do a 3xweek Pik-Krakow service.

goldeneye
16th Dec 2005, 18:32
jet2 are launching direct flights from Edinburgh to Pisa for Summer 2006, flights operate every saturday from 27th may to 2 september.

airhumberside
19th Dec 2005, 18:45
The follwoing quotes are from an article from the Scotsman Newspaper Website

Eryk Klopotowski, a spokesman for SkyEurope, said: "We have bases in Bratislava, Budapest, Krakow and Warsaw, so it is our intention to serve these destinations from Edinburgh.
CentralWings, which already flies to Warsaw, will launch new services from Edinburgh to Gdansk and Katowice next year.

President and chief executive Piotr Kociolek said future destinations could include their other Polish bases, such as Wroclaw
FlyGlobespan chairman Tom Dalrymple added: "We will be expanding our routes from Edinburgh Airport, and we are aware of the growing emergence of eastern European countries. However, we are wary of the longevity of some of these destinations."

goldeneye
19th Dec 2005, 21:23
The follwoing quotes are from an article from the Scotsman Newspaper Website

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eryk Klopotowski, a spokesman for SkyEurope, said: "We have bases in Bratislava, Budapest, Krakow and Warsaw, so it is our intention to serve these destinations from Edinburgh.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Edinburgh - Krakow route is on sale now with Skyeurope and there is a Warsaw route on sale with Central Wings

Great for Edinburgh and great for Scotland

Have also heard murmors about EK launching either a 2nd daily GLA-DXB flight or starting an EDI flight.

colmac747
9th Apr 2006, 20:55
Jeez..i've started threads about other stuff relating to EDI, and here it is (all in it's glory)!

Thanks P.Radar...

Posted it earlier (somewhere)..good read; http://www.sundayherald.com/55010

jabird
15th Apr 2006, 08:03
"I don't think the routes have been set up to entice us Scots to the tourist spots of Poland, although I would like to visit there, Raynair do a 3xweek Pik-Krakow service."

Krakow is certainly a tourist destination, and so far loads seem about 50:50 split between Scots (or other Brits) and Poles.

Damian O'Leary
11th May 2006, 07:18
Flyglobespan starting 1 x weekly flights (on a Saturday) between EDI and TFS from 4th November.

Could this be pre-empting Jet 2?

GoEDI
11th May 2006, 16:45
Damian O'Leary
Quite possibly, Jet2 haven't announced flights TFS flights from EDI this winter so far and it doesn't look like they are going to know so it is wise of GSM to get in there first.

Damian O'Leary
16th May 2006, 19:36
It looks like GSM are on a serious EDI winter expansion drive this year.

TFS now up to 2 x weekly this winter.
New weekly service to ACE.
ALC and AGP to operate daily throughout the winter.
FAO and PMI both 2 x weekly. Previously these routes were summer only.

Still no sign of BCN beyond the summer timetable yet, though.

Can we expect more to come?

Damian O'Leary
20th May 2006, 09:14
GSM are extending EDI-Murcia into the winter, with twice-weekly service on Weds and Sats.

Are Jet2 planning to run their Murcia service from EDI through winter too?

Damian O'Leary
15th Jun 2006, 08:37
Flyglobespan launching 5 x weekly EDI-Chambery flights, starting 23 December. Seasonal ski flights, running until 15 April.

I wonder whether this is instead of the Flybe flights?

GoEDI
15th Jun 2006, 13:09
Flybe never operated it as a scheduled route so this is a big bonus. Although I think GSM have sold seats to the tour operator that used to use BE, Crystal holidays or whatever they are called.
The charter and scheduled timetables don't match up though so it could be that GSM will be operating 2 CMF flights on a Saturday.

Charter
Chambery SAT 0800-1825 7&14 GSM651 23/12-14/04 CRYSTAL HOLIDAYS
Chambery SAT 0800-1825 7&14 GSM651 23/12-14/04 THOMSON LAKES & MOUNTAINS

Scheduled (Saturday):
Saturday 23 December 2006 13:30 16:50

It could be with some small alterations to that timetable that they are going to do EDI-CMF-EDI-CMF-EDI!

Damian O'Leary
6th Jul 2006, 15:53
Looks like Flyglobespan are bringing back EDI-Prague, commencing 2nd November with a 3 x weekly service, though currently only bookable until just before Christmas. Presumably they ultimately intend to operate the service beyond this date?

GoEDI
6th Jul 2006, 17:36
Presumably they ultimately intend to operate the service beyond this date?

Actually, no. Whether that changes or not remains to be seen but it's only running to 23rd December provisionally, whether the highly possible return of STN will play a part in whether PRG is extended or not remains to be seen too.

Jet_stream
6th Jul 2006, 22:27
goes as follows EDI-PRG-GLA-PRG-EDI !!

Damian O'Leary
17th Jul 2006, 10:02
BAA has released its revised Masterplan for EDI for the period up to 2030

http://www.baa.com/assets//B2CPortal/Static%20Files/Edimasterplanv2_single.pdf

mmeteesside
23rd Jul 2006, 21:02
The Easyjet site isn't showing it, but they are planning a 2x week-daily op to AMS this winter, they have slots into AMS for...

EZY6921 a0830 (12345-- A319)
EZY6921 a1100 (-----6- A319)
EZY6921 a1320 (------7 B73G)
EZY6922 d0855 (12345-- A319)
EZY6922 d1125 (-----6- A319)
EZY6922 d1345 (------7 B73G)

and the second
EZY6925 a2035 (12345-- A319)
EZY6926 d2055 (12345-- A319)

shown on the netherlands slot coordination site!

mmeteesside

Damian O'Leary
26th Jul 2006, 10:57
Ryanair launching 3 x weekly EDI-Shannon service from 31st October. Didn't see that one coming!

goldeneye
26th Jul 2006, 17:53
mmeteesside

Thats great news, they had similar flights a few years ago glad to see they have seen sense and gone back to them day trips to amsterdam again :D

Joe Curry
5th Aug 2006, 16:12
I wonder if EDI-ORD might be considered in light of recent developments?

On the strength of EDI's dominant business pax:hmm:

anybodyatall
5th Aug 2006, 19:13
Joe Curry

I don't think you understand how airlines work.

Damian O'Leary
8th Aug 2006, 10:43
Jet 2 are launching Edinburgh to Milan (Bergamo) from April 2007. Looks like 4 x weekly.

Edinburgh-Pisa also up to 3 x weekly.

Damian O'Leary
28th Aug 2006, 16:18
There's a piece in tonight's Edinburgh Evening News suggesting easyJet are to launch EDI-Malaga next summer, though so far nothing on the airline's website. Can anyone confirm?

GoEDI
4th Sep 2006, 14:36
Jet2 dropping EDI-MAN at the end of this month.
CSA dropping PRG at the beginning of January, hopefully GSM will extend their flights beyond end of December and pick that route up.

nivsy
7th Sep 2006, 16:32
Did CSA drop the PRG-GLA route a while back as well? These flights did not last long!

Nivsy

cabot
7th Sep 2006, 21:34
I think TD will be giving this a good look

virginblue
12th Nov 2006, 11:20
At MUC, for summer 2007 three airlines have requested Slots for a EDI service

- british midland twice daily, BD685/686/687/688, ERJ145, morning/evening departure from EDI

- Adria Airways twice daily, JP201/202/203/206, CRJ200, morning/noon departure from EDI. As timings fit the Lufthansa hub operations, I assume it would be a code-share. Routing is EDI-MUC-EDI-MUC-LJU-MUC-EDI. However, Adria Airways has some experience with independent third country ops as they also fly VIE-FRA.

- Easyjet once daily, EZY6919/6920, A319, early afternoon departure.

None of the requested slots have been cleared as requested so far. The only flight that has cleread slots reasonably close to the requested times is the Easyjet flight (RTA -35 minutes, RTD -5 minutes).

GoEDI
12th Nov 2006, 20:30
virginblue

Very interesting! I knew that bmi were still chasing after it but didn't know about Adria or EZY! Of course it was bmi who came closest last year when they announced it for a March 06 start only for them to pull it, allegedly due to lack of slots at MUC.

virginblue
16th Nov 2006, 12:35
Well well, funny how small the world is we live in....

Sunday noon: Post it here.

Sunday night: News has made it to half a dozen boards.

Tuesday: The Scotsman says "According to air industry sources, British Midland, easyJet and Adria Airways have all requested departure slots for the new route. Flights to Munich are a top priority for Edinburgh Airport operator BAA."

Thursday: "EasyJet, Europe's leading low-fares airline, today announced it would be bringing more low-fares to Scotland by adding a new direct European route from Edinburgh. The daily service to Munich will bring the total number of destinations served by easyJet from its Edinburgh base to nine, with an overall capacity increase of 5%...." bla bla bla.

Maybe I should become a journo. Seems to be an easy way to earn one's keep.... Wonder if Easyjet would have announced it today if the Scotsman had not run the story.....

Spotter McS
15th Dec 2006, 19:02
Was passing through EDI today on way to LCY noticed the arrival of RAF VC10 tanker at lunchtime today. Anybody any idea why she was visiting? Must say, it still is an impressive sight, lots of smoke and noise :cool:

Cheers
Spotter

Wellington Bomber
15th Dec 2006, 19:23
Not as impressive as seeing them refuelling aircraft up and down the East Coast last week

Joe Curry
19th Dec 2006, 12:21
easyJet announces expansion from Edinburgh
19 December 2006

easyJet, Europe's leading low-fares airline, has announced it would be investing further in its Edinburgh operation and bringing more low fares to Scotland by introducing three new direct European routes from Edinburgh Airport and increasing frequency to Amsterdam next spring.

http://www.easier.com/view/Travel/Flights/easyJet/article-89828.html

Charlie Roy
4th Jan 2007, 22:46
New route with Norwegian to Oslo starts April 15th :D
Flights on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays with quite a nice schedule, and nice prices too ;)

Charlie Roy
4th Jan 2007, 23:03
In Summer 2007 Flybe will introduce two new destinations from Edinburgh:

Newquay (5 x weekly)
Bergerac (1 x weekly)

ajamieson
5th Jan 2007, 07:47
Flybe will introduce two new destinations Newquay (5 x weekly)
Is that the same Newquay that they've been flying to from EDI since July 06?

Bartek
10th Feb 2007, 09:22
Looks like Sterling are returning to Edinburgh after all, albeit on a reduced summer only basis.

2 x weekly EDI-CPH starting May 14th and running to September 9th.

Joe Curry
10th Feb 2007, 11:05
Confidence of past experiences?:cool:

GW76
10th Feb 2007, 14:33
Odd ressurection given the poor loads previously. Maybe the slashed frequency will regain some profit.

Joe Curry
10th Feb 2007, 14:59
You have a source?:=

scotsunflyer
10th Feb 2007, 15:35
Sterling flights were solid, especially the Sunday one

Joe Curry
10th Feb 2007, 15:58
I doubt Sterling would have returned otherwise?

GW76
10th Feb 2007, 16:03
Route exceeds expectations and is "solid" yet returns hesitantly with less than half frequency- yeah I see the logic. Must have been a real money spinner.:rolleyes:

Bartek
10th Feb 2007, 16:08
What drivel! If there was no prospect of operating the route at a decent profit, or if other destinations offered a better prospect, then Sterling would have looked elsewhere. A summer only frequency is better than nothing at all, and looking at the CAA route stats for EDI-CPH the route saw some very healthy growth in 2006.

It's great to see Sterling keeping their faith in the Scottish market.

GW76
10th Feb 2007, 17:46
"Healthy growth" in passenger numbers perhaps ( I dont see the CAA data breaking down the passengers numbers between operators) - but that obviously doesnt translate into profits- given the significant frequency cut. Perhaps theyre doing it all wrong- you should get on to them.:ugh:

goldeneye
10th Feb 2007, 18:37
Joe Curry, the route is on Sterling's website and is on sale, details of the launch are under PR at the top of the homepage.

virginblue
21st Feb 2007, 20:50
Apparently TAFKABACON (the-airline-formerly-known-as-baconnect) has co-ordinated slots for a daily ex SAT flight to DUS with effect 01JUL07:

X6 BA7886 EDI 1135 - 1405 DUS E145
X6 BA7887 DUS 1445 - 1515 EDI E145

GoEDI
22nd Feb 2007, 00:06
This is true, but who knows what will happen to it now?!

Sanjo
22nd Feb 2007, 07:43
going back to the CPH service, is a 2 x weekly a real product?? i mean, what happens if you miss your flight?

clearly there will be people booking, but how good of an offer is it?

Hudson Bay
22nd Feb 2007, 08:39
Overheard a conversation while I was sitting in EDI departures. Now don't shoot the messenger. bmibaby are to open a base in EDI from the start of the winter. Introduction of 2 aircraft initially with an additional 2 for 2008.

GoEDI
22nd Feb 2007, 15:56
With the introduction of a nightstopper from September it seems feasible. They only thing which makes it less believable is where would the aircraft come from?

virginblue
23rd Feb 2007, 11:16
New route:

Dortmund by Easyjet 4x/w. starting May 30.

the_fish@blueyonder.
15th Mar 2007, 10:40
Edinburgh Airport Rail Link has been given approvla by MSP's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6448319.stm

How do people think this will affect passenger/traffic levels?

Joe Curry
15th Mar 2007, 13:34
>How do people think this will affect passenger/traffic levels?

Pax figures can only get better given airlines will realise that EDI's surface convenience/accessibility will become even more attractive than it is now.:ok:

jabird
15th Mar 2007, 13:52
I'm all for public transport, but EDI already has a modal split of 22%+ for buses - more, for example, than BHX, which has its own dedicated railway station.
£610m can't possibly be good value for money. How many passengers will shift because of this?
Let's say that 5% of 10m = 500,000 per year. Or 5m over 10 years? Subsidy of £100+ per passenger?
And where's the money coming from? Muggins ENGLISH tax payer no doubt? Did WE get a vote on this?
Then:
"The Greens also said they were unconvinced that the rail line, which will cost three times what it is expected to cost to build a similar link to Glasgow Airport, was value for money. "

Since when have the Greens cared about value for money? If they are opposing a rail project, there must be something seriously wrong with it - even if it is going to an airport.

And how can a link from Paisley to GLA (about a mile?) cost £200m! All of this infrastructure makes sense in principle, but it has to make financial sense.

nivsy
15th Mar 2007, 14:45
Ofcourse the escalating costs of holding the Olympic games in London, England which runs to Billions will nt be funded by the Scottish tax payers - naturally they had a vote on this???

jabird
15th Mar 2007, 18:39
Nivsy, London has had the Dome, paid for largely by lottery money. The Olympics will be predominantly paid for by lottery money, sponsorships and London taxpayers. I don't buy lottery tickets, I don't live in London, so I'm not going to complain so loudly.
Both of the above over-ran their budgets. Then there's Wembley - I think I might be paying for that one, but I also hope to be able to benefit from a concert or two, and something to brighten up the journey out of Euston.
EDI already has a perfectly good bus link into town. Sure, I'd prefer a train, and I'd find a direct link to Glasgow useful from time to time. But if the ticket costs are anything like the rate charged by the LHR Express (article talks of premium fares), I might still end up using the bus. Unless of course they do what they did at NCL, and scrap the bus. Am I also right in thinking that Edinburgh to Glasgow train journeys will now take longer?
So all I can say in response to your question is that the £610m will almost certainly end up being conservative.
There was no reference in the article about who is paying for this facility, and I assume it won't be BAA. If we're not paying for it, then I'll gladly stand corrected - but whoever is paying for it, I just can't see much sense in the sums.

nivsy
15th Mar 2007, 18:43
I just hope your not an accountant or in the "city". 9 Billion will not be covered by lottery money by a long shot and i should think all of the UK tax payers will have to pay - not just Londoner's!!
The cost of Edinburgh links etc will no doubt all come out soon enough although I am sure that PFI and PPP will be heavily involved.

jabird
15th Mar 2007, 18:45
Nivsy,
Neither. I'm not going to defend the Olympics, as I said, I didn't ask for them. Any chance of getting back to the issue?
According to:
http://www.earlproject.com/qanda.php#04
"How Much Will It Cost?
Now that the public consultation, technical development and environmental consultation stages are complete, tie is developing the project’s business case and finalising the overall cost assessment of the project. Initial studies suggested that the construction of the scheme would cost close to £500m. The indications of the ongoing work on the business case suggest that the final cost will be within this budget. The total project cost is now being refined as further technical assessments are completed."
Already £610m and counting!
"Who Will Pay?
EARL is a national project and it is anticipated that the Scottish Executive will be the principal funder"
And who funds the Scottish Executive? I understand that the Scottish Parliament has tax raising powers, but has it used them? Ditto, with route development funds - I'm not aware of any extra taxation scheme which pays for these, but I would be happy to stand corrected.

Joe Curry
15th Mar 2007, 19:27
EARL will serve Scotland not just Edinburgh Airport.
One must remember that the Newbridge viaduct and a dodgy tunnel near Winchburgh will not last forever, hence the reason for diverting the Glasgow line through EDI.
I'm amazed that this project has attracted such attention.
Recommended reading ..http://www.earlproject.com

nivsy
15th Mar 2007, 19:30
The feasability study on the same web site that you mention (Chapter 7 - financial costs) is interesting reading with many potential partners being involved - altho' ofcourse it can be argued that they will need to recoup investment of costs for such a project. European Money also seem poss

Joe Curry
15th Mar 2007, 20:01
Interesting to note that EARL is expected to wash it's face financially. There can't be many public capital engineering
projects in that league?

jabird
15th Mar 2007, 20:50
"There can't be many public capital engineering
projects in that league?"

I can think of one down in Holyrood which was almost as expensive, and a lot less useful.

I accept the whole of Scotland argument, joining the lines seems like a good idea. But the majority of pax flying to/from EDI must still want to get to the centre or the outskirts of Edinburgh. The airport express and local buses provide this option. Last time I flew to EDI, I took the bus which goes down CERT (#22?) to Leith. Think I was about the only person on it until it got to Edinburgh Park.

How many does that leave who will benefit, including those non-air pax who can transfer there - but presumably at a hefty premium?

I think it is a great project, but I just can't see it justifying such a hefty price tag - we are just talking about a station here, not a whole airport after all!

Sheep fancier
15th Mar 2007, 22:11
Hi Joe, I did a "Google" on your name and I apologise if it isn't you, but a "Joe Curry" came up with this apparently -

"Why don't I fly AA from GLA? Because of the reasons you have listed
above... And because I want to support the local economy and jobs.
Using an airport gives airlines the impression you like it...that's why
I fly exclusively from EDI..."

I'm sure it's not you, but the comment is interesting I'm sure you'll agree, this guy whoever he is just doesn't want to use Glasgow Abbotsinch at any cost. Imagine we all thought like him?

SF

goldeneye
15th Mar 2007, 23:44
Im really struggling to understand the logic in bulding an underground station and tunnels under the runway. To me the most logical thing to do is build a station on the main Edinburgh - Aberdeen mainline, at the East End of the runway (cargo end) and build a monorail to connect to the terminal like Gatwick or Birmingham.
But then again who am i to say anything im just a humble British Taxpayer with no rights.

jabird
16th Mar 2007, 00:41
Goldeneye,

Fair point, but LGW South Terminal is at least connected directly to the station.

What we have at BHX is a bit of a sham, because the people mover (sorry, downgraded Maglev) only provides a link between the station and Terminal 1. Pax have to trundle through T1 to get to T2.

There was some comment in the article about not wanting to build a guided busway and the rail link. I'm sure that a variation of Goldeneye's suggestion AND the busway could have been built. I think DUS might be a good example of the kind of scheme I think you are talking about? ICE station at the eastern end of the runways + S-bahn station under the terminal complex.

There would then have been plenty of change from £600m left over to upgrade walking and cycling facilities across all of Scotland - and the rest of the UK for that matter, and provide a few more bus subsidies, and re-open a couple of branch lines..............

anybodyatall
24th Mar 2007, 12:25
weekly flight (Fri) from end June to start Sept

Joe Curry
24th Mar 2007, 12:49
Jet2 have plans for a weekly flight to Florence

Source: http://thescotsman.scotsman.com

Budget airline creates new link

THE first direct flights between Scotland and Provence have been announced by Jet2.com, with a Saturday service between Edinburgh and Avignon from June to September. It will be Edinburgh's seventh French route, after Flybe's Saturday flights to Bergerac and Rennes begin in May.

Article..

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=456902007#new

Bartek
24th Mar 2007, 17:41
Jet2 have plans for a weekly flight to Florence
I doubt this very much, as they already fly to Pisa from EDI. Are you sure you aren't getting Provence and Florence mixed up? :)

Joe Curry
24th Mar 2007, 18:23
Hi Bartek.. The articles states "Edinburgh and Avignon":confused:

Bartek
25th Mar 2007, 09:39
Yes it does, which is why I queried the addition of "Jet2 planning a weekly flight to Florence" at the top of your earlier posting! ;)

Joe Curry
25th Mar 2007, 09:45
LoL..:D should have read Provence of course. Florence being an old girl friend whose name still haunts me,:ugh:

ropetow
26th Mar 2007, 23:10
Does anyone know what aircraft Flybe are planning to use on this route ?

Thanks

GoEDI
27th Mar 2007, 17:03
Q400 to Bergerac.

Stelios
31st Mar 2007, 16:11
Can someone explain why is it at EDI when you're cleared taxi to holding point D for departure, you're "Clear to cross the 12 undershoot"????
I thought that when you're clear to proceed to D you are clear through the whole route to D and anything that's in the way. Then you have to read this nonsense back as well!!
Remembering that landing or taking off involves passing through that same silly undershoot 20 feet further away (the runway), but you're not told "clear to land/take off 24 and to fly through the 12 undershoot".
Please someone explain:ugh:

Wee Jock McPlop
31st Mar 2007, 21:59
Stelios,
Instead of having a feeble and very public rant on the WWW, why don't you phone ATC and ask. We don't bite - unless provoked;)
WJMcP
P.S. More of an ATC Issues topic is'nt it.

Bagheera
2nd Apr 2007, 12:02
After the recommendations following the Linate accident were published, it was decided to add the markings "Runway Ahead" on the Alpha taxiway at the point where it crossed the 12 undershoot. Where these markings exist, at ANY airfield, specific clearance is required to proceed beyond the holding point at that location. As you do not cross these markings when departing or landing then no such clearance is required. Any clearance to a location can have restrictions put on that clearance, at the time or subsequently. To take it to the extreme, just because you are cleared to London Heathrow does not mean that you can ignore the bovingdon hold.
That said controllers adapting to the new requirement are using different methods of presentation, either giving the taxi clearance and crossing clearance together ( a bit of a mouthful ), giving taxi clearance to the runway ahead marking then subsequently onward (two seperate transmissions and the chance of stopping ) or giving clearance all the way and crossing clearance as the aircraft approaches the marking ( two seperate transmissions and not fail-safe ).
It is a busy time of coordination for the controller as well as the pilot and the requirement and timing for this additional r/t is a discussion that is ongoing, as Wee Jock states, through the appropriate channels. There are many official forums available for any of your concerns to be heard and considered where as on here, well, for all you know I might be a sheet metal worker from Barnsley!

Stelios
2nd Apr 2007, 17:22
Wee Jock McPlop,

Thank you for your moronic response. FYI I have actually posted this elsewhere in Airlines Airports and Routes, but the mod has moved it into this thread.
Besides, you may be a controller stuck in the same place all your career, where's pilots get to see and talk to a lot more ATC people than you could ever imagine, often 4 in one day! Therefore we get the bigger picture and when we come accross some "ingrown" and very "local" procedure we look at each other with some puzzlement!
Your acrimonious response indicates an exteremely defensive streak, but for what reason? If you know the answer then give it.
Remember though, you are not in charge of what people may or may not say or ask on these pages. I suggest if you feel THAT upset by the question then you get some therapy! Love Stelios :mad:

Bagheera,

Thanks for your much more coherent answer. I don't particularly wish to have long discussions on this one subject, so I won't be going to other forums for this.
I can't see what the problem is in saying "you are cleared all the way to xyz holding point" and do away with it like that, but what the hell, life's too short!:hmm:

Wee Jock McPlop
2nd Apr 2007, 18:05
Stelios,

With the greatest respect, I've been a controller for some time now, had experience all over the world and am relatively new to Edi. I've prided myself on a close liaison with pilots (of all persuasions) all of my working career and you are the first to insult me in such a way:{ - says more about you than me I think. As for being acrimonious - you are having a laugh aren't you?

Bagheera has indeed answered your question. The fact remains that you could have got the answer by coming across and speaking to us - a 2 minute walk from the terminal at the last check. A number of your fellow pilots have made that arduous journey and both professions got something from it.

Kind regards,
WJMcP

P.S. The offer still stands you know.

cesare
10th Apr 2007, 17:46
In latest Clickair newsletter there is a route map with new route: EDI-BCN!
No news about frecuency and start date but probably will be announced soon...

GW76
10th Apr 2007, 19:05
GSM will not like that....Dont think theres enough demand for 2 operators on that route. GSM have habit of bumping off mainline carriers like CSA- Clickair might be different however...interesting times ahead.

scotsunflyer
10th Apr 2007, 19:09
Clickair have slots at Edinburgh for daily BCN flight starting 01AUG, using A320. Arr EDI 0910, XG1098, Dep EDI 1000 XG1099

DONTTELLTHEPAX
10th Apr 2007, 20:36
I see click have still not got the hang of a quick turn-around 50mins:eek:

airhumberside
10th Apr 2007, 20:51
Click Air's major advantage over GSM will be in attracting Spanish passengers. I believe there is quite a bit of tourist demand from Spain to EDI, at least in summer

Charlie Roy
9th May 2007, 13:47
Clickair have slots at Edinburgh for daily BCN flight starting 01AUG, using A320. Arr EDI 0910, XG1098, Dep EDI 1000 XG1099

Barcelona - Edinburgh is now bookable on the Clickair website

cesare.caldi
9th May 2007, 17:05
Clickair open EDI-BCN daily from 1/08

Charlie Roy
23rd May 2007, 16:44
Easyjet are going to compete with Flybe and Cityjet on the Edinburgh - Paris (CDG) route by launching almost daily flights (12345-7) starting July 13th.

nivsy
23rd May 2007, 17:24
Funny how EDI has competition on that route and GLA has no carriers! Odd.

cesare.caldi
23rd May 2007, 17:37
To open EDI-CDG will be add a new plane to EDI base?
Or will be reduced some routes?

Bartek
24th May 2007, 17:49
GSM launching a new winter destination from EDI: Funchal, commencing 5th November. Weekly flight on a Monday.

goldeneye
24th May 2007, 20:59
Looks like they have put the launch date back to 10 september. I would have thought they would want to get this route going intime for the summer.

Sorry ment to say i mean Easyjet

Exasperated
24th May 2007, 21:34
Looks like they have put the launch date back to 10 september. I would have thought they would want to get this route going intime for the summer.
I take it you mean EZY to CDG.
Don't know where the 13 July came from, it has always been September 10 on the Easy website
Ex

GW76
31st May 2007, 16:10
Unfortunately DL's loss making ED-ATL service is to be scrapped. Instead they will try and steal some business from CO on the NYC route by offering a daily service to JFK. The aircraft has also been downgraded to a 757, commencing perhaps as early as the end of this summer season.:{

ajamieson
31st May 2007, 16:37
Downgraded in aircraft size, but not necessarily in product. DL's new TATL 757s will have a complete cabin refit and personal seatback IFE in all classes - enough to give CO a good fight.

Loads on EDI-ATL too hit-and-miss. 75 per cent average in peak, lucky to clear 60 at other times. Not good compared to CO's 92 per cent year-round average.

cesare.caldi
31st May 2007, 19:09
Who win the Edinburgh-Milan "flight war"?

Easyjet EDI-MXP daily
Jet2 EDI-BGY 4x week

MUFC_fan
31st May 2007, 19:30
LS carried 3167 passengers on the route in April, at 4 times weekly on a 148 seater 733.

Therefore, there was an average of 88 passengers per flight.

By looking at this, I am going to predict EZY!:}

GW76
31st May 2007, 19:58
I cant imagine a 59% load factor fits with the low cost model. Would be interesting to see how EZY fairs.

Joe Curry
31st May 2007, 21:50
87,000 annual pax on EDI-ATL is loss-making? I reckon DL are being a tad presumptous on a route that is barely one year old?

Joe Curry
31st May 2007, 21:57
DL's new 757s? Arent these the aircraft logo'ed Song?
Flew on them recently, the seat back IFE cost $5.00 for headsets and $5 for films.

Can't help feeling that a predator will eventually step into their discarded EDI-ATL route. 87,000 pax in a first year is not to be sneezed at.

How many first year UK-USA regional airport routes have achieved that?

MUFC_fan
31st May 2007, 22:06
MAN flies around 130,000 on the route anually. Don't know why it was downgraded froma T7 afew years ago to a 763, but now upto a 764 and looking good!

Maybe the JFK route will do ok! GSM havn't ventured onto the atlantic routes from the airport, and JFK offers better connections that CO can do at Newark, so why not? After all, they have been able to take on BA and CO at MAN!

Why didn't DL just downgrade on the ATL route instead of moving the route all together?

GW76
31st May 2007, 22:41
a tad presumptious ?
Of course......what do the route managers and accountants at DL know....:rolleyes:

aeulad
31st May 2007, 23:36
DL@JFK offers better connections than CO@EWR, errrrr I don't think so, not by a LONG way.

Also, they couldn't have downgraded the ATL route, they do not have any 762s in their international fleet, and the 752 cannot make ATL-EDI.

Regards

Mike

Skipness One Echo
1st Jun 2007, 08:23
Joe, it would be a very brave predator to fly EDI-ATL. If Delta can't make money flying from their BIGGEST HUB, good luck to all those others.......
er where?

And as for 87,000 pax flying a route you've been posting long enough to know that even a 100% load factor can be loss making if the yield is low. Scotland is highly seasonal and hard to balance the books when you have a nice big premium cabin to fill and you have to discount to do it.

Joe Curry
1st Jun 2007, 08:56
One of ATL's problems is the fact that a lot of domestic
flights going north arrived too late at the various hubs for onward domestic connections. Try going EDI-ATL-SLC-IDA
for instance without having to overnight in SLC! I thought
I had a good range of flights getting me into IDA same day when I originally booked but Delta managed to change
my original booking SIX times. Hopefully JFK will be better
for a same day range of flights throughout the USA.
DL would have fared better year-round on EDI-ATL if the flight departed EDI a few hours earlier to enable better connections at ATL.. btw..DL's loads were in excess of 75% year-round at EDI, not bad for a new route in it's first year? Did MAN-ATL achieve that?

MUFC_fan
1st Jun 2007, 13:40
DL@JFK offers better connections than CO@EWR, errrrr I don't think so, not by a LONG way.

Who said anything about DL's connections, I was meaning that DL would be able to provide an AIRPORT with better connections against EWR, which CO offer.

GoEDI
2nd Jun 2007, 00:33
DL are renowned for chopping and changing. Route did well in the summer, if it wasn't making money when it was full with pax and cargo then DL must be doing something wrong. Winter was a different story however it seems although I thought it would have been sustainable still even with the lower winter load factors.
They maybe should have tried a seasonal flight to ATL aswell as JFK. However then comes the problem of BAA and in their inability to provide adequate facilities when required. There would be nowhere to put 2 CO B752s, 1 DL B763 and 1 DL B752 if the above situation was to have become reality, but it hasn't so it's fairly irrelevant I suppose. :}

Joe Curry
2nd Jun 2007, 07:33
There would be nowhere to put 2 CO B752s, 1 DL B763 and 1 DL B752 if the above situation was to have become reality, but it hasn't so it's fairly irrelevant I suppose.
But with more than a spark of truth... Time for BAA to provide the facilities. Pronto..?

GW76
2nd Jun 2007, 12:01
DLs loads were in excess of 75% year round?
Are you sure. Think I would need some documented eveidence for that one, my provisonal calculations for the last 6 months anyway are way short of this figure.
Youre not honestly telling me that simply moving this flight to an earlier EDI departure would have stopped it getting the axe? If it had been that easy then im sure those far more in the know would have done so, saving the extra money required to set up a new heavily competitive route to NYC. We'll see how long the EDI-NYC route lasts in the planned format of 3 times daily year round service. The winter, like DL to ATL will be very telling, and perhaps we'll revisit this thread, like we've had to revisit the axing of DL to ATL, in a few months. Interesting times ahead.

GoEDI
3rd Jun 2007, 02:59
DLs loads were in excess of 75% year round?
Are you sure. Think I would need some documented eveidence for that one, my provisonal calculations for the last 6 months anyway are way short of this figure.
Youre not honestly telling me that simply moving this flight to an earlier EDI departure would have stopped it getting the axe?

June 06- 79%
August 06- 77%
September 06- 79%
October 06- 70%
November 06- 72%
December 06- 66%
January 07- 61%
February 07- 45%
March 07- 76%
April 07- 84%

Works out as an average of 70.9% if that's what Joe meant. All the info is on CAA if you don't believe me. DL's B763s used to have 214 seats, then 204 over winter and are currently operating with 199 seats.
As for an earlier departure time, the EDI flight didn't arrive into ATL until 1715, which when the route is virtually totally reliant on onward connections is quite late I'd of said, certainly quite a lot later than most if not all of DL's other European flights.

Stockpicker
30th Jun 2007, 22:17
Hi folks,

Following the horrible events at GLA tonight (really hope the pax and crew there are off the tarmac now) I see that EDI have "closed the forecourt", although other information indicates that this only applies to private vehicles. Can't seem to get any more detail than that, though, and would be grateful for any practical info like:

If one was planning to take a cab to the airport tomorrow pm to go on ones holidays, will said cab be able to drive up to the airport building, or do we need to allow time to walk the last couple of hundred yards with bags and kid?

There doesn't seem to be an email addy for BAA Edi enquiries, or would go there; don't really want to pester with phone calls when the lines may be jammed by relatives of people stuck there (although up to date departures don't look too bad - no guarantee that there are any SLF on the planes, though, they could still be sitting biting their nails in the Highland Showground!). Any guidance gratefully received.

Cheers,

SP

virginblue
2nd Jul 2007, 14:48
Lufthansa has filed an application with the German slot coordinator for 6 weekly (X7) flights from DUS to EDI for winter 07/08 (29OCT07-29MAR08). So far, only arrival slots for mondays and thursdays have been cleared. Flights numbers LH4946/4947, equipment "CRJ". Early morning departure from DUS with a DUS based aircraft.

GEAR_DOWN
2nd Jul 2007, 15:06
You will NOT be allowed to drop off or pick up near the fore court at EDI. Taxi's will be dropping off in the carparks, and pax will have to walk the rest of the way to terminal. Allow about 3+ hours to get through the whole arrivel/check-in/securoty process from now on guys

tristar500
7th Jul 2007, 23:33
Its time we all got used to enhanced security, access restrictions and more ques at not only EDI but all UK / European airports. The 'nightmare' scenario we see ourselves in now is here to stay and will probably get worse rather than better thanks to a few 'rogue' elements within our society :mad:

As Spain has implemented the new APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System) requirement (a full year early), the ques are already lengthly - even before the attack on GLA last week. Wait until the rest of Europe implement the APIS system this time next year! That coupled with the Americans 'withdrawing' the Visa Waiver system for the British... :ok:

Batten down the hatches and get used to it!

Maybe the tram system (hanging by a thread) for the airport will be saved...
Could also utilise the longstay at the top of the airport road, with busses going up and down to the airport. Couldnt possibly be any dearer than the BAA carparks!

Could turn the multi storey car park into an 'extended' terminal, to house the ques of people!!! ;)

Whatever next!

PS - Having worked at EDI for the past 18 years, nothing would surprise me now, knowing what the BAA are like :ugh:

BabyBear
7th Jul 2007, 23:39
tristar: Batten down the hatches and get used to it??????????????

Please don't tell me you work in EDI, or any other airport.

Where does this blame culture get us?

This is the defeatist attitude that has us in this state!

BHDflyer
11th Jul 2007, 20:12
From what I hear BA have had to bring some staff back to EDI as aviance are making a right b*lls of things as usual, and their main business customers from the Royal Bank Of Scotland aren't to happy about it! :ugh:

chrism20
11th Jul 2007, 23:40
This is hardly a surprise, the delays on some services lately has been shocking - the LCY service has suffered quite a bit, and this is the one RBS buy a lot of seats on and is also Cityflyers bread and butter

Alan Tracey
12th Jul 2007, 08:20
Not sure that is true.

I passed through EDI twice last week and service was excellent. However looking at the departure screens every BA flight had at least a 1 hour delay due late arriving.
I think the major issue here is that BA can not get a flight leaving London away on time...and I am sure that is mostly due to LHR/LGW/LCY congestion or ATC

GoEDI
18th Jul 2007, 14:26
EZY have today announced EDI-KRK 4x weekly commencing with the start of the winter timetable. More to come from EDI too I reckon.

fantaman
14th Sep 2007, 12:30
I was talking with a friend about Ryanair yesterday. He's heard a rumour that Ryanair will be making Edinburgh one of its hub and will be using a new satellite added on to the end of the terminal building?

Anyone else heard about this?

GoEDI
14th Sep 2007, 13:16
Yes, an announcement has been expected for the past week or two, but nothing yet. We wait with baited breath!

Category 5
14th Sep 2007, 15:12
Well it seems, EasyJet are down sizing.

I flew STN-EDI on Wednesday and landed 15 mins ahead of schedule. Upon arrival we were told there were no stands available and there would be a short delay.

Some 15 minutes later the captain came on for a moan and said that BA were blocking all stands and that there does not appear to be any urgency into shifting back one of the culprits.

Another 10 mins pass and the captain says we will be shortly on our way although this behaviour from the ATC and ground staff was one of the reasons why Easyjet will NOT be expanding from EDI.

eastern wiseguy
14th Sep 2007, 15:15
although this behaviour from the ATC
How the **** are ATC to be blamed for how BAA allocate stands??:ugh:

GW76
14th Sep 2007, 15:25
"...and ground staff" - more importantly

GoEDI
14th Sep 2007, 16:12
Another 10 mins pass and the captain says we will be shortly on our way although this behaviour from the ATC and ground staff was one of the reasons why Easyjet will NOT be expanding from EDI.

:confused:As has already been pointed out to you, how this could have anything to do with ATC or the ground staff is beyond me???
EZY continue to expand from EDI with CDG just started this week, and GDN and KRK starting at the end of October, plus rumours of a 5th aircraft are circulating. Not sure what makes you think they are going to stop just because of a bit of ramp congestion, which can happen at any of the airports they fly to. Think LGW!

egnxema
14th Sep 2007, 17:00
I assume Stand Allocation at EDI is similar to LHR.

It is a BAA department, but works v closely with ATC. BAA decide where the inbound aircraft will park. But when it is loaded and doors closed it is up to ATC to give permission to push back and taxi.

So, if the ground handlers have the aircraft loaded, and the doors are closed, theoretically ATC could get the aircraft pushed back and it can hold on a taxiway while to new inbound can pull on to stand.

eastern wiseguy
14th Sep 2007, 18:11
egnxema

I understand that. It is always up to ATC to gert the aircraft pushed and started. But IF they aren't ready the same stand may be allocated and the inbound waits . It is the responsibility of the aerodrome operator to allocate stands NOT ATC . ATC can be as frustrated as anyone..we are the people who do the "fielding"of the aircrew "comments" in the first instance!

smith
15th Sep 2007, 08:32
Ryanair Hub at Edinburgh

I don't think hub is the right word for this. A hub suggests hub and spoke for connecting flights. As Ryanair are a point to point airline they do not offer connecting flights or interline arrangements. Base would be a better term to use here.

GW76
15th Sep 2007, 12:43
Will be interesting to see what routes they operate, bound to see some overlap with full service carriers who will feel the pinch and would drop routes.

Wee Jock McPlop
15th Sep 2007, 15:05
Stand allocation at EDI is a thorny issue for all involved and the delays are mainly down to lack of spare capacity (none) when the airport is busy. The stand allocation is driven by the ground handling agents in conjunction with the BAA. If a change of stand does not suit for operational reasons, then there is not much that can be done.

That people seem to be bleating about ATC being responsible for stand allocation and the resultant mexican stand-offs is ill-informed twaddle and well wide of the mark. Yes we do, where possible, try to keep things going smoothly and liaise with the BAA to try and suggest other alternatives. But that call ultimately lies with the handling agent and the BAA. They have the final call on it.

Remote holding is an option, but anyone who knows EDI well, will be aware that remote holding space is tight. Anyway, if the aircraft on stand does not want to remote hold, or is not ready to do so, then there is not much that can be done.

As for CAT 5 and his interesting flowery story, I would take that with a large pinch of salt. The decision for expansion of an airlines operation will be taken far above the head of a line captain/co-pilot - if indeed they did make those comments. We'll just have to see what happens over the next few months. I think they might be needing a few more stands than the ones that are already under construction.

GoEDI
18th Dec 2007, 14:54
Well on top of todays good news regarding Ryanair, Delta have put ATL-EDI back on sale summer only! :D

OltonPete
18th Dec 2007, 15:05
per website - 757 :eek:

That's a long-un!

Pete

GoEDI
18th Dec 2007, 15:15
Certainly is! It's marginally longer than TXL-EWR but DL's 752s will be equipped with PW engines which I believe have a greater range than their RR equivalents.

Skipness One Echo
18th Dec 2007, 21:50
The Rolls Royce powered version has the greater efficiency and range, hence it's much greater popularity. Thought JFK was replacing ATL. Won't they undermine each other?

OltonPete
18th Dec 2007, 22:43
I am convinced that DL had greater expansion plans with the ex TWA
757's from JFK but slot restrictions have played havoc and hence the
various changes.

Nine of the new 75W routes are downgrades and I would say EDI has
definitely gained as word on other forums was ATL was definitely chopped.

I believe 13 out of 17 of the ex TWA machines now have routes - yes 17
per another forum, having secured another two in the last week.

All will have AVOD's so should be a reasonable trip across the pond if you
like that sort of thing but ATL is certainly pushing it from EDI. CO's TXL-EWR tech stops about 10-15 times a year apparently due en-route weather.

Pete

GoEDI
19th Dec 2007, 02:03
You sure about that Skipness?

B752- "Range at optional max takeoff weight with P&W engines 7277km (3929nm), with RR engines 6888km (3719nm)."

DL have always been looking at the possibility of operating ATL summer only since they decided it was for the chop, I'm glad to see they've gone ahead with those plans.
As for TXL-EWR, in the summer CO were blocking 25 seats westbound due to range restrictions. Just now that number is 40 although if EDI-ATL is going to be summer only we shouldn't have to worry about winter restrictions.

Skipness One Echo
19th Dec 2007, 08:55
Fairly sure yes, that explains why on ETOPS, it was the prefferred engine of choice on the Atlantic with the exception of, if memory serves, American Trans Air. The aircraft here though may be the very late production TWA models which are rather beefed up though in an attempt to keep the 757 line open.

I can't argue with your figures since you don't tell me where you got them from.

B752- "Range at optional max takeoff weight with P&W engines 7277km (3929nm), with RR engines 6888km (3719nm)."

It wasn't the Boeing site as there's no split between the RB211-535C / E4 and the PW2037 / PW2040. It's worth remembering that range is dependent on payload carried as well. Think EDI-ATL is a bit desperate though as point to point it's not going to work and now they're serving two hubs this summer whereas last year they weren't making sufficient money on one?

LGWAlan
19th Dec 2007, 11:08
Running days 135 DL197 1050-1440

GoEDI
19th Dec 2007, 14:12
ATL was doing well in the summer, so I'd say they were making money on one hub, the whole reason it was dropped was due to it's poor performance in the winter. Like I said, ever since it had been dropped DL has been considering bringing it back summer only, and now it's on the smaller B752 I can see this doing well although given how much cargo the B763 was carrying, the drop in cargo capacity might hurt a bit. JFK will carry much more O&D traffic obviously but is going to face an uphill struggle with CO 2x daily on EWR, however in the summer I think these routes will do fine, as long as DL market them better than they did last time!
I got the figure from here- http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=101
Couldn't comment on it's accuracy, but the fact that NW and DL have routes longer than CO on their PW B752s suggests it could be true. These are some of the longest B752 routes:

NW DTW-FRA 3616nm
DL CVG-AMS 3599nm
DL ATL-EDI 3484nm
CO EWR-TXL 3458nm

As you can see, the airlines with the PW powered variants seem to be pushing them furthur, and CO are very reluctant to go any furthur than TXL as that already takes pretty big payload restrictions Westbound.
DL's are the recently acquired TWA aircraft so you could be right there, not sure about NW though.

Running days 135 DL197 1050-1440

It's only June it operates on days 1,3,5, from July onwards it's daily.

Skipness One Echo
19th Dec 2007, 14:21
Interesting....worth remembering that the services quoted as being within the range of the 757 are dependent on payload and some of the above routes have more than a few rows blocked off raising the seat price accordingly. I wish them every success, will be good to see them on the gates next summer.

crackling jet
19th Dec 2007, 15:58
Has ryanair announced an Edinburgh- Bristol service as rumour has it down here at Bristol, but no one seems to have had it confirmed.

GoEDI
19th Dec 2007, 15:58
I can't comment for DL or NW but I know that in the summer CO were blocking off 25 seats on TXL-EWR, I've never seen the route carrying any cargo Westbound either obviously due to payload restrictions.
I wouldn't be surprised to see payload restrictions on EDI-ATL, even if DL's B752s do have a longer range, they also have more seats compared to CO (184 compared to 175), so the difference in range is likely to be negligible I'd of thought.

tristar500
19th Dec 2007, 21:32
I see that FR are making EDI a base, from MAR08 with up to 7 different routes. This will surely have an impact on the likes of GSM, Jet2 and even easyjet.

I think GSM will see quite a few of their pax migrate to Ryanair, to see how they do things (European routes), especially after the horrendous summer 07 nightmare. Who could blame them...

Jet2 should watchout too, although not such a big player at EDI, MAN will soon be 'awash' with oragne tailed Airbus aircraft once the GB deal goes through. Jet2 at both MAN and LBA could suffer. All change.

Maybe a merger between GSM/Jet2 could stave off any immediate trouble and allow them to focus on key routes from their key airports. The fleets are common and make both short-medium-long haul flts possible.

Say again s l o w l y
19th Dec 2007, 21:36
I heard a rumour this was happening a few weeks ago. Could be interesting times at Edinburgh.

sitigeltfel
20th Dec 2007, 08:46
Anyone know what the schedule / frequency on the Marseille route will be, and will they still be keeping the summer Prestwick - Marseille route running?

XSBaggage
20th Dec 2007, 08:56
They are not actually making EDI a base, all the routes flown from there are to bases using aircraft based at the destination station.

PIK-MRS seems to be available next summer.

XSB

Scottish Flyer
20th Dec 2007, 11:34
Ryanair do not appear to have made any cuts in PIK flights for next summer - the EDI flights are additional. Frequency on the new EDI flights is only 2 or 3 a week. The Marseille service is twice weekly but on different days from the PIK flights which continue 3 times a week as last summer.

dwlpl
15th Jan 2008, 12:43
With the wonders of satellite TV I watched the Midlands local news.

They are saying that the deal announced today took just 10 days to complete with the based BHX aircraft originally tagged for a Scottish airport (EDI?).

goldeneye
15th Jan 2008, 19:28
Ryanair dont base an aircraft at EDI, the new route launched are flown by based aircraft from the orginating city ie Alicante, Bremen, Hahn etc.

I suspect if it is a scottish a/c it will be from PIK.

GoEDI
15th Jan 2008, 20:08
Indeed not, but a base announcement has been expected on top of the already announced routes, and it seems that this was it, but it's gone to BHX at the last minute...

Richard Taylor
15th Jan 2008, 20:33
Not the BAA holding back growth in Scotland, quelle surprise......:ugh:

W4LLACE
25th Jan 2008, 06:31
can any one tell me any details of the EDI expansion - extra runway etc?

Will it have the runway capacity for larger aircraft?

GoEDI
25th Jan 2008, 14:38
Starter strips and high speed turnoffs with provisions for a new runway, but that's all furthur down the line. The only runway work happening imminently is the re-surfacing of 06/24.

Also, I believe the FR base could now be a done deal with an announcement expected early next month.

nickmo
25th Jan 2008, 14:56
Hi W -

You may have seen the comment from the Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce in the Scotsman a couple of weeks ago about this -

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburghairportextension/Scottish-economy39s--wings-must.3643365.jp

Business wants it, apparently 80% of residents want it - but the Council can't decide how anyone will get to it.....

The Master Document regarding the development of Edinburgh states:

'...Second runway - The Master Plan re-states BAA Edinburgh’s commitment to build a second runway at Edinburgh Airport, should it be required. The document gives an indication of where an additional runway, which the Government has predicted will be needed, would be built and the additional land take required for such a project. BAA Edinburgh believes that an additional runway will not be required before 2030. However, it will be for future Master Plans to determine if and when a second runway will be built....'

and the comment '..should it be required...' is the relevant bit in there....The airport is expanding but this is for taxiways and service hanger space initially. The requirement for more post and freight handling is as important to the expansion as servicing passengers, but it looks like it will be a while, until more routes are established and demand increases - eg. Ryanair etc etc and the hint that Emirates has expressed interest.

If you want a list of current who flies from Edinburgh (and any other UK airport for that matter) the info at Flightmapping.com is about as easy to access as anything else: http://www.flightmapping.com/UK/Edinburgh/

The Royal Highland Society is looking to relocate to the opposite side of the A8 as part of this - the Museum of Rural Life has already left the site, and other businesses on the Council owned land are looking for new locations to cotinue operating.

The biggest issue still remains access - road / rail / tram, so until that is resolved there seems little that will happen until the Eastfield Road 'way in' for road traffic - which is a joke to be honest - is sorted. The hassle now for drop off / pick up which seems designed by an Operator determined to prevent use of the Airport.... rant beginning...

Link for BAA Edinburgh http://www.edinburghairport.com/ - go to the 'About BAA Edinburgh' page and see the 'expansion' link on left for the proposed site layout plans, Master Plan etc, if interested.

In short it is still with the Council.

Skipness One Echo
25th Jan 2008, 15:11
Ah SECOND runway at Edinburgh? A third at HEATHROW ? SHRIEK. Well up until kind of recently Edinburgh had three, as did Heathrow. What chance do we have if people can't count correctly beyond......er one really. Anyhoo, what they really mean is a brand new shiny runway. Next time your on the new pier at Edinburgh, the second runway is the big black thing between you and what was RAF Turnhouse. Who said pedantic? I can hear you...........

W4LLACE
2nd Feb 2008, 07:13
Ok smart ****!! hee hee

i knew that - but your right i meant a shiny new one

Donkey497
3rd Feb 2008, 00:48
Next time your on the new pier at Edinburgh, the second runway is the big black thing between you and what was RAF Turnhouse.

Ah, you mean BAA's new parking lot for all that shiny metal. I wouldn't really recommend trying to land on it any more, probably lots of stuff with F-Codes sitting there until tomorrow night.........

ryanair1
25th Feb 2008, 01:57
although not yet bookable, the routes on EDI's new base are visible.

EDI to ALC, SXF, BLL, BOH, BTS, BRE, DUB, NRN, HHN, WRO, KRK, NYO, LCJ, SNN, AGP, POZ, MRS, PMI and PSA

Should be available and announced when new site goes formally live Tuesday morning

frfly
25th Feb 2008, 07:47
where do you see this?

GoEDI
25th Feb 2008, 19:38
Looks like they've managed to remove them from their website, for the time being.

eu01
26th Feb 2008, 19:22
So quietly here. Aren't you waiting for the FR press conference on Thursday? I know MOL could be in a bad mood after "celebrating" the launch of a revamped "revolutionary" website, but it will be a new base announcement after all...

chrism20
26th Feb 2008, 19:29
Thursday now?

Its getting like a singles club.............one date after another

eu01
26th Feb 2008, 19:42
Was it at 10:45 or 11:45 AM? Anyway, my source is a reliable one, I believe.

chrism20
26th Feb 2008, 19:47
If they are basing great! - they aren't my favourite airline. But if there is news to announce lets get on with it

MUFC_fan
28th Feb 2008, 19:32
From Ryanair website - muscling in on GSM's territory?

DUB - moving into EI territory
LTN - moving into U2 territory
LPL - moving into U2 territory
MAD - moving into IB territory

The list goes on...

GSM are NOTHING to FR. I don't think MOL will take much notice of the airline as he tries to take over the spine of the UK.

en2r
28th Feb 2008, 22:01
DUB - moving into EI territory
Ryanair are not launching Dublin-Edinburgh, they have been on the Dublin-Edinburgh route since 2001, when they launched it as a response to Go launching a service on the route. They drove Go off the route within months. Go (and their later purchaser Easyjet) were so scared off that they've never been back to Dublin since then.

MUFC_fan
5th Mar 2008, 16:37
en2r,

I don't think you understand my thread. I was meaning their bases. When they first launched from DUB all those years ago as a very small airline they took on the big boys of EI and BA on the LON route and if they weren't bothered about who they were competing with then, then I don't really think MOL is going to take note of any other airline that stands in the way...maybe EZY.

frfly
5th Mar 2008, 17:18
Ryanair operated their first FR5579 to ALC today, loads out about 149, so not bad considering its only march and that's primarily a holiday desination. I wonder how GSM will suffer on this route, considering their ALC left before FR's and arrived an hour later due to a stop in GLA!

The other non based routes start up between now and june, will be interesting to see how the German routes do.

tristar500
5th Mar 2008, 18:48
Being totally honest and upfront here...

Jet2 and GSMs days are numbered. Even a merger would struggle to compete with Easyjet and Ryanair and to a lesser extent, flybe.

ALC with FR started today... Let the games begin!

Joe Curry
5th Mar 2008, 19:09
GSM should concentrate on EDI long haul leisure flights
like SFB and the Caribbean, their Eygpt flight looks stable,
I doubt they would be bothered by competitors?

MUFC_fan
5th Mar 2008, 19:28
As you say Joe Curray, GSM are best to conentrate on long/medium haul flights where EZY and FR currently havn't ventured.

However, I don't think Jet2's 'days are numbered.' LBA is a huge base for the airline and is always going to get bigger. They have pulled alot from MAN but they still have a big presence there along with BFS and NCL - two U2 bases. They also have profitable ops at both BLK and EDI.

Don't count these carriers out. Jet2 is not a stand alone company, it is supported by a major firm that deals with other matters aswell as aviation.

tristar500
5th Mar 2008, 19:44
Joe, your right to a point. They should concentrate on more longhaul destinations, but the number of flights needed to justify the investment, and the number of pax needed to fill the aircraft simply isnt there, and when you look at GSMs recent history - forget it. You can fly from EDI to just about any other European country and connect on from there ie MAN and LGW to Sharm with EZY now. Egypt is hardly shorthaul. (I know GSM fly to Sharm from EDI) but now EZY is in on the act (albeit inherited from GBAirways) its the start of more destinations to come - and new routes from EDI are being looked at even as we speak from all current and prospective airlines at EDI.

MUFC, right too, BUT EDI is now full to the brim with low-cost operators, and only the fittest will survive. It aint gonna be JET2 and certainly not GSM...

MAN will very soon be 'orange all over', causing yet more issues for Jet2. LBA is only an hour away and to be honest, people will make that journey if the price from MAN is right. People do it in Scotland already, to go from PIK.

One final point. Look at the German aviation scene. Massive consolidation to tackle over capacity and rivalry. This will make them leaner and more competative, not only internally, but Europe-wide also.

MUFC_fan
5th Mar 2008, 19:58
tristar500

Totally agree but look at the German market. It is fair to say that the GB/EIRE airlines dominate Europe.

We can see that alot of airlines within Europe operate from mulitple airports in different countries. ie) FRA, DUS, HAM, MUC, SXF etc. whereas foreign airlines serving the UK (except the massive airlines) only serve LON and not too many regional airports (MAN and maybe BHX/GLA/EDI). This is probably due to the size of airlines such as FR and EZY who offer a product unmatchable on price due to their size.

In Germany, AB seem to be making alot of the buying. An airline that was never a true 'LCC' has now expanded into the long haul by buying other airlines. Can anyone see EZY buying up BMI and Virgin to get their long haul up and running?! No. AB and LH will become the two only majors in Germany over the next couple of years but BA don't have the power of LH in their own market alot due to FR and U2 etc. The UK will never have two majors and little else. VS, BMI, BA, U2, FR, BE and others are going to be around for along time. Yes, there will be some consolidation just as there currently is (U2&GB/BE&BACON&LOGANAIR). The UK is alot more of an open market thankfully.

I just hope it stays that way....

GoEDI
5th Mar 2008, 20:22
MUFC, right too, BUT EDI is now full to the brim with low-cost operators, and only the fittest will survive. It aint gonna be JET2 and certainly not GSM...

Don't forget Jet2 have the highly profitable Royal Mail contract at EDI, which requires 2-3 based aircraft to operate it at night alone. Before they started pax ops those aircraft used to sit on the cargo apron doing nothing all day.
They've been doing a good job of filling in the gaps in EDI's route network that other operators have been ignoring eg PRG. Yet unfortunately they always seem to be the ones who get bullied off a route when the big guys sit up and take notice of how well Jet2 are doing on the route eg EZY to Milan, Ryanair to PSA and MRS.

As for GSM, I think they'd now be better concentrating on their flight+hotel packages that they do that the likes of FR don't offer as that's the only way they can take the fight to them on routes like ALC, AGP and PMI unfortunately. Otherwise they're going to be killed. They should also be looking to the likes of Cyprus, Greece, more Egypt and Canaries, ORLANDO!!! for expansion. The sort of places where due to sector lengths EZY and FR and very unlikely to venture.

Arkroyal
14th Mar 2008, 13:28
Noticed a few weeks ago one of the F27s (TC-MBG) parked on the cargo ramp seemed to have run into a GPU.

Anyone have any details?

frfly
14th Mar 2008, 23:35
yeah apparantaly the pilot taxied off stand with the GPU not removed out the way of the a/c. 2 airway guys we're treated for shock. lucky escape, could have been a lot worse.

on another note, sad to see Delta have now cancelled their Atlanta service, no news on why, although I would presume poor demand. JFK is still going daily from May, although demand was poor back at xmas, with some flites only having 7 pax booked!

Skipness One Echo
15th Mar 2008, 00:20
DL197 to Atlanta still bookable oddly enough though I too have heard it's being axed.

Jimmy Riddle
15th Mar 2008, 09:29
frfly
yeah apparantaly the pilot taxied off stand with the GPU not removed out the way of the a/c. 2 airway guys we're treated for shock. lucky escape, could have been a lot worse.

I agree it could've been tragic, but perhaps we should wait for the report rather than blaming the Captain for taxiing into a GPU.
I've been told by ramp people that the Captain had no brakes. Perhaps checking hydraulic/air pressure prior to requesting chocks be removed might've saved the day, but let's wait for the report eh.

GoEDI
15th Mar 2008, 19:33
DL197 to Atlanta still bookable oddly enough though I too have heard it's being axed.

You sure about that? I find it hard to believe given availability on all the flights has been zeroed out, and I can't see any flights on sale.

Suzeman
1st Apr 2008, 18:51
From UK Airport News

Delta Air Lines has axed its summer service between Edinburgh Airport and Atlanta, which was set to start in May, due to the cost of fuel. The airline will continue its Edinburgh to New York JFK flights.

A Delta spokeswoman said: ‘As a result of the increase in fuel prices over the last year, Delta is aggressively working to ensure that routes are operating as fuel-efficiently as possible. Scotland remains an important market in Delta’s effort to boost international service, including plans to grow international capacity by double digits in 2008.’

Suzeman

Charlie Roy
3rd Apr 2008, 10:41
Ryanair: Hahn, Weeze, Bremen, Berlin SXF
Germanwings: Cologne/bonn (with some connections to other German airports)
Lufthansa: Frankfurt (with connections to other German airports)
Easyjet: Dortmund, Munich

Porrohman
8th Apr 2008, 09:23
A Delta spokeswoman said: ‘As a result of the increase in fuel prices over the last year, Delta is aggressively working to ensure that routes are operating as fuel-efficiently as possible. Scotland remains an important market in Delta’s effort to boost international service, including plans to grow international capacity by double digits in 2008.’

Judging by Boeing's payload/range charts for the 757 (on their web site), EDI-ATL was only possible with a significant payload restriction, especially westbound i.e. no cargo and often many seat rows would need to be blocked out. Either that or a fuel stop would be needed. With rising fuel prices, I expect that the fuel cost per paying passenger made the route uneconomic to operate using the 757.

Even with lower fuel costs, does the 757 have the necessary payload/range performance and cost base to fly such a long route economically?

MUFC_fan
8th Apr 2008, 10:38
Maybe they will look at it with a 763 for the winter?

MAN to get a 764 from September so that frees up a 763, don't know whether it is already taken or not!

Skipness One Echo
8th Apr 2008, 11:57
Interesting idea operating a seasonal summer service in the winter..........

Porrohman
8th Apr 2008, 13:17
There's reasonable demand all year round for an ATL service from EDI but probably not enough to make a profit using a 767-300.

One of the problems with last year's service was the late departure time from EDI which resulted in very late arrival times for those using connections beyond ATL.

I suspect that the timings were constrained by the availability of suitable stands and other facilities at EDI and I also suspect that this issue is constraining other long-haul expansion from EDI. Would anyone "in the know" be able to comment?

Donkey497
8th Apr 2008, 19:45
Porrohman wrote
One of the problems with last year's service was the late departure time from EDI which resulted in very late arrival times for those using connections beyond ATL.

As a very frequent user (>100k airmiles) of the DL 97/96 to ATL the timing of the flight was one of its distinct benefits, especially when travelling for work.

Remember that it's very few people who travel for their work who actually get to travel Business class, so most of us have to slum it in cattle class. It's a long enough day when you have to fly to the US and frankly the last thing you want is to have to get up at or before the crack of dawn to check in for a flight that won't leave for another two or three hours after you have to show up for it. Couple that with the same inane bloody questions you get asked in the check-in queue, at the desk then again as you board the flight and it can be a disheartening experience before you even take off.

If you can check in at a reasonable hour, even if the check-in to take-off time and questioning is the same, the whole experience doesn't seem so bad. At the other end, the ATL experience is just so much better than anything you experience in the UK. Compared to ATL any of the London airports are seriously disorganised and appear very shabby. Of all the times that I've passed through ATL I have never taken more than 30 minutes to disembark, clear immigration, customs re-check my bags and then clear security again [my one bugbear - that you fly across the atlantic, but have to go through security again]. Once in ATL you've a great choice of connections (unsurprisingly) and there are frequent services to the majority of north & south american destinations.

Where the connection wasn't so good, was for the likes of US / Canadian west coast destinations like Seattle or Vancouver or if you wanted to head to Hawaii or further west (or effectively east). Some of these connections had a fairly long connection time or you were looking at an overnight stay. Then again, a lot of these destinations were probably better reached via an overcrowded inefficeint airport in the south eastern corner of the UK or via AMS.

Personally, I was extremely disappointed when DL withdrew the service and I'm having to rely on the CO service through EWR just now for work, which I'd hoped until recently would be a stop gap until DL brought in the 196/197 service to ATL for the summer. But sadly this is not to be, so we'll just have to keep using CO as BA weren't up to the mark when we tried them last month, a fourteen hour journey became a 36 hour marathon, so it's back to IAH via EWR on CO again this month.

Maybe the recent Tartan Week promotions might bring in more tourists, but the best thing that would make the routes work year round would be advertising & promotion this side of the Atlantic, especially when it's 2 USD to 1 GBP.

I don't see much from CO on the EDI route, but there's naff all on the JFK-EDI route from DL. There's supposed to be a flash advert on the Scotsman's website, but any time I've used the website, I haven't seen it which doesn't help. Hopefully there'll be more promotion for both routes as we could really do with proper competition to the US from Edinburgh.

frontcheck
9th Apr 2008, 11:16
Agree with Donkey, I have seen no advertising by Delta in the Edinburgh area, how do they expect to get the passenger numbers if very few people know about the route? Going back to the Atlanta launch, there was some advertising on billboards and Taxi's but even then it did not last for long.

ajamieson
9th Apr 2008, 11:23
There have been quite a few print, taxi and online ads for Delta in recent weeks although not as much as you would expect given that the new route isn't common knowledge.

Then again, CO does next to no advertising here and the route does very nicely.

GoEDI
9th Apr 2008, 18:44
CO did a lot of advertising when the route was first launched though, and you'll still see ads for them dotted around (Easter Road is one example that springs to mind). However, they are so well established now that they don't need to advertise as much. Certainly not as much as DL should be doing now considering it's a new service which is going up against a well established service to the same area!

Donkey497
9th Apr 2008, 20:49
CO do a fair amount of promotion of the EWR-EDI route on the other side of the pond, there's always quite a few posters featuring EDI whenever you apss through EWR, and you even get the odd CO advert featuring EDI as well as their US skiing destinations down in Texas showing connections from IAH. They usually have a fair amount of promotion for new routes and summer only routes as well.

Having been through JFK last month, nothing from DL on the EDI service. OK, the service isn't in place just now, but you'd have thought that there'd be some early promotion in place.......

scotsunflyer
23rd Apr 2008, 15:14
Runway 06/24 closed due to damage and vfr restrictions on 12/30

Most flights diverting to GLA

EagleStar
23rd Apr 2008, 15:22
Anyone got anymore information as to why and when it will re-open?

14:40BA1446HEATHROW DIVERTED 14:45EI254DUBLIN DIVERTED 15:00GSM448PALMA DIVERTED 15:10AF5161LONDON CITY DIVERTED 15:10BA8954STORNOWAY VIA INVERNESS DIVERTED 15:15GSM402BARCELONA EXPECTED 1513 15:15GSM472MALAGA EXPECTED 1523 15:15GSM616BARCELONA EXPECTED 1513 15:20BA8716LONDON CITY EXPECTED 1505 15:20EZY6906GENEVA DIVERTED 15:25BD608ZURICH DIVERTED 15:30GSM506FARO DIVERTED 15:35BD058HEATHROW EXPECTED 1600 15:40EZY711GATWICK EXPECTED 1620 15:45KL1285AMSTERDAM EXPECTED 1545 15:55EZY487BELFAST INTL CANCELLED 15:55RE465CORK DIVERTED

EagleStar

scotsunflyer
23rd Apr 2008, 15:29
Holes on 06/24.

Runway is currently in process of being resurfaced overnight

EagleStar
23rd Apr 2008, 15:31
I take it that these holes then will need a considerable time to fill in and that the runway will be closed for some time? Are we to expect cancellations for the remainder of the day?

They can't have planned the runway works very well. Another quality example of BAA uselessness!

EagleStar

scotsunflyer
23rd Apr 2008, 15:37
Don't think BAA will be to blame for problems of resurfacing, it will be contractors. Only a small section will be able to be done per night, similar to LHR a few years ago.

EagleStar
23rd Apr 2008, 15:45
Agreed. It would seem then that the contractors are as good at breaking SLA's as the BAA themselves! lol

EagleStar

scotsunflyer
23rd Apr 2008, 15:53
06/24 reopened at 1650

Pot holes filled

sitigeltfel
23rd Apr 2008, 16:30
06/24 reopened at 1650

Pot holes filled

It would have opened half an hour earlier but the McSweens Haggis they took from the souvenir shop to fill the hole took longer than expected to dry out. A dash of Glenmorangie as a hardener did the trick :}

AircraftOperations
23rd Apr 2008, 18:02
But LGW only has 1 rwy (in theory) and is a 24 hour airport.

Works have to continue around traffic.

rpmac
23rd Apr 2008, 21:19
My experience having lived in Spain for the last 7 months was that building projects take forever to finish. As for Madrid's new terminal it was the worst one I have had to endure for a long time and hope to avoid it if possible.

tristar500
6th May 2008, 21:38
Its great fun watching BA make an approach to 12/30 in the dark, rain and howling wind! How these boys are having to work for their money... SHAME ;)Then the comments from the crew about EDI...

Its also fun watching the freighters, charters and execs landing too with NO trouble, comment or issues. :D

In fact certain BA crews (irrespective of weather conditions) have commented they would rather go to GLA than land on 12/30... Granted there is no ILS etc, but if its good enough for easyjet, flybe, bmi etc... :ok:

GoEDI
6th May 2008, 21:54
It's only shut from 2300-0545 so unless things are running rather late it shouldn't affect them.

Except for that one instance a couple of weeks ago in the afternoon when due to surface break-up 06/24 was closed then everything did divert to GLA.
12/30 was available but visibility wasn't great hence the diverts, but that didn't stop all the Execs making it in no bother. In fairness it was a BACF ARJ that was the first to brave 12/30 before 06/24 re-opened. ;)

The 0500 MON ZTH departure chickened out of using 12/30 last week and departed late using 24 pretty much as soon as it re-opened. Whether being able to use 24 was the reason for the delay, I don't know.

ROSSKi MYT
7th May 2008, 18:01
What aircrft do Monarch have based at Edi?what aircraft operates the FCA flights?

airhumberside
7th May 2008, 18:52
MON have a B757 at EDI

GoEDI
7th May 2008, 19:03
FCA only operate a weekly FAO and that is a B752.

Skipness One Echo
7th May 2008, 22:39
ts great fun watching BA make an approach to 12/30 in the dark, rain and howling wind! How these boys are having to work for their money... SHAME Then the comments from the crew about EDI...

Its also fun watching the freighters, charters and execs landing too with NO trouble, comment or issues.

In fact certain BA crews (irrespective of weather conditions) have commented they would rather go to GLA than land on 12/30... Granted there is no ILS etc, but if its good enough for easyjet, flybe, bmi etc...

Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting BA have less competent or able flight deck than the others you mention? Would the fact that they operate daily into HMS London City make any difference to your prejudice? God there's some pure bollocks chatted on here some nights.....

Say again s l o w l y
7th May 2008, 22:57
Have you only just noticed that!

towser
8th May 2008, 08:03
Eh its Cityflyer crews that operate into LCY not BA!;)