PDA

View Full Version : Airfields North of Birmingham

Squawk 2650
29th Sep 2005, 11:54
Hey everyone,

I’m looking to base an aircraft north of Birmingham fairly central. The airfield needs lights, maintenance, hangarage and fairly good operating hours. It must be tarmac with about 700-800 meters! Any ideas??

S

:cool:

Human Factor
29th Sep 2005, 12:22
Tatenhill, near Burton on Trent. There is hangarage on the field but no idea whether there's any available or not, also maintenance and two hard runways, one of which is certainly long enough, although only part of the main runway is licensed.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Sep 2005, 12:49
If she doesn't jump in, you might do well to send an inquiring PM to Whirlybird, she instructs at Tatenhill and should be able to give an honest answer about how user-friendly it is.

G

muffin
29th Sep 2005, 12:50
At the moment there is no hangar space at Tatenhill. However they are going to huild some new hangars in the next few months.

It is very user friendly Genghis. Nice people, very friendly, well run and until a price rise a couple of weeks ago the Avgas was only £1.02 per litre inc VAT. It is only £1.15 inc now which is cheap these days. I used to keep a 172 there and still get my fuel there.

Sir George Cayley
29th Sep 2005, 13:10
....................er

Well there's - umm ?

Actually I'm struggling to think of an airfield that comes close to the requirement.

Liverpool? Not central
Manch? No hangarage
Leeds? Possible but not sure about hangars

Gamston ! Ah now thats a possibility isn't it?

Sad reflection on Aviation UK plc that our enquirers choices are so limited.:{

Sir George Cayley

helicopter-redeye
29th Sep 2005, 15:35
There's a queue for hanger space at Gamston ..

wet wet wet
29th Sep 2005, 16:39
I know that I'll be flamed, but do I find it odd that this sort of question ("What is the nearest airfield to XXX?") is so frequently posted. Surely five minutes spent with a chart and Pooleys would provide the answer?

ozplane
29th Sep 2005, 16:41
Wolverhampton Spaceport? Or whatever it is this week.

YYZ
29th Sep 2005, 16:44
True, it is asked allot, however, this is also a good way to find out about hangar’s and friendliness of an airfield, Pooleys does not supply this information.

YYZ

wet wet wet
29th Sep 2005, 18:27
YYZ

True, and I don't mean to be unkind, but I would have expected a post along the lines of "I'm thinking of moving my plane to Tatenhill, does anyone have any experiences etc they would care to share?" would get a better response.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Sep 2005, 19:35
'North of Birmingham' actually opens up quite a few possibilities. Including all the airfields in northern England and Scotland. ;)

SSD

squawking 7700
29th Sep 2005, 21:00
All above re. Tatenhill is true, it also has the advantage of, if you're sensible and abide by the security measures, out of hours operation including I believe runway lighting being available although I haven't tried that myself.
It's also open two evenings during the week in winter if the demand is there.
A couple of VOR's make finding the place easy.
The cafe's not bad either.
Ring Mike Shelton 01283 575283 (about the airfield not the cafe).

Squawk 2650
30th Sep 2005, 17:14
Thanks for all the help guys and gals!! Tatenhill def looks the best will have a think. Might have to fly down there and take a look!

Happy landings

:cool:
S