PDA

View Full Version : Propellor Pitching

LowNSlow
2nd Sep 2005, 06:54
I'm thinking of having my Fairey-Reed prop overhauled at the next annual. I want to have it re-pitched to improve the climb as I suspect the current pitch favours cruise rather than climb.

Can anybody out there recommend a good prop shop who can overhaul steel propellors?

stiknruda
2nd Sep 2005, 07:14
G-FARL had hers done by Andrew Brinkley at Meppershall if memory serves me right. Good turn around times - the work not the rpm!

Stik

Milt
2nd Sep 2005, 09:00
Pardon my ignorance but how can a prop be repitched?

I suppose that if it is part of a constant speed unit having variable pitch then one could slip the blades back or forward a cog to give a different pitch range.

LowNSlow
2nd Sep 2005, 10:58
stik any idea how much it cost roughly? Good job done?

milt I think the prop is mounted into a jig and twisted to achieve the required pitch. Obviously there are limits to what can be done and it doesn't work with wood! (i think!)

stiknruda
2nd Sep 2005, 13:12
cost - iirc circa 450 notes

turnaround was a few days < a week.

I flew the aeroplane before and after and it did make a difference THOUGH I think that some of the initial twist has relaxed a bit!

Of course that is just gut feel and not an objective measurement.

Stik

DubTrub
2nd Sep 2005, 20:37
Got my Sensenich re-pitched at Alvis, Coventry (sub. of Air Atlantique). £85 plus vat. No balancing or paint included in that, but I can do that myself. LnS, is your Auster on a permit or CofA?

LowNSlow
5th Sep 2005, 07:07
DubTrub unfortunately it's on a C of A. That's a very reasonable price you paid.

stik I assume that included painting, re-balancing and new stickers?