PDA

View Full Version : Tacho or flt time?

Bearcat
15th Aug 2005, 11:12
what do you guys log as a reference to your 50 hr checks? airbourne times or tacho times and which do the caa prefer re maint schedules?

aztec25
15th Aug 2005, 11:20
In our group we log ...

t/o to landing time for 50 hours
Brakes off to brakes on for log books
Tacho time for paying our bills to the group treasurer :-(

S-Works
15th Aug 2005, 11:42
on my airplane I take the airborne time from the GPS for the 50hr checks. The GPS logs take off to landing.

I dont bill myself so payment is not a problem.

For logbook time I generally use the GPS time as well unless it was a long taxi then I add 5 mins.

dwshimoda
15th Aug 2005, 13:59
In our partnership we log:

t/o to landing time for 50 hours

Brakes off to brakes on for log books and for the bills :(

IO540
15th Aug 2005, 16:59
Maintenance should be based on airborne time, on both G and N.

It's all there somewhere, in the regs.

Flik Roll
15th Aug 2005, 20:54
Kind of on topic, but I only ever log TO to Landing in my log book, non of this chock to chock bit...for all the CAA knows what was logged as an hour could have been 15 mins sat on the ground waiting at the holding point, so a good % of ones lgged hours could actually be taxying time which to me defeats the object...
I also thoroughly disagree with charging people on the tacho - just encourages people to rush just so they get more airborne time for their money. What is the general opinion?

S-Works
15th Aug 2005, 21:12
Flik,

I agree completely. the regs are brakes to brakes and it is fair for people to do it. I log my time from the GPS for 2 reasons, 1) I am to lazy and the GPS makes a perfect record and 2) with well past a thousand hrs i dont really have anything to gain.

Charging people on tach time is just inviting trouble, in my experiance it just makes people abuse the aircraft and skip proper checks.

I twin that I fly regularily is charges on tach time and they wondered why it needed 8 new cylinders recently. A lot of people fly a twin on a budget and at £3 per minute sat waiting around for the oil to heat up or doing a gentle cruise descent is a lot of money to some people and the dont do it. Don't start me on people flying aircraft they cant afford......