PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 747 this morning at MAN

JimmyTAP
9th Aug 2005, 10:44
This morning just after 7am a Virgin 747 flew low over our house in Cheshire , I assume after going around from 24R at MAN. I'm not bothered why but the flight path was unusual (A 747 at that height at that time of the morning does not go unnoticed!). Normally go-arounds that I've seen from 24R turn right. Is there a new procedure in place that takes them over Wilmslow?

JT

Chromium
9th Aug 2005, 11:29
Gotta friend who lives in Stockport reports the same thing. Unfortunately he drives a mini-bus and has little aviation knowledge, but he says that there was a Aer Lingus behind the Virgin and the Aer Lingus 'was all over the show' on approach. The Virgin went over his house about 10 minutes later.

dicksynormous
9th Aug 2005, 12:25
police aircraft farting about to the north normally requires a nonstandard go around. Maybe that.

Cheshire countryside is a far superior landscape to over fly than a didsbury downwind anyway.:}

Scottie Dog
9th Aug 2005, 12:46
More likely to have been emergency traffic to the north of the field and ATC not only wanting a clear runway - hence the go-around - but also wanting to keep all traffic well out of the way.

Scottie Dog

opnot
9th Aug 2005, 13:53
To save all the speculation this is what happened
DH8 loses an engine departing 24L ,declares a Mayday and wants to land visually on 24R ASAP. The Virgin B747 and EI A320 where broken off the approach to achieve this and the only way they could go was south. DH8 lands safely on 24R.
Just another day at the office.

JimmyTAP
9th Aug 2005, 13:58
With respect I wasn't "speculating" as to why and in fact said so in my first post but asked why it was directed in an unusual direction after the go-around. At that hour of the day it did elicit a "WTF" type of response, having a 747 thundering over yer house. I've lived in the area for many years and this was unusual.

It probably triggered all of the local noise monitoring sites as well.

JT

Scottie Dog
9th Aug 2005, 14:17
Thanks for that - just confirms what I posted, but without wanting to disclose airline/aircraft!

As you say, just another day at the office.

JimmyTAP
9th Aug 2005, 14:28
DH8 loses an engine departing 24L ,declares a Mayday and wants to land visually on 24R ASAP.

Just another day at the office?

As usual with go-around threads on here I'm sorry I asked now.

JT

opnot
9th Aug 2005, 15:25
Jimmy Tap
I did not mean my reply to sound off hand, all I was trying to do was to clarify what had happened this morning before we had pages of speculation .
Please do not stop postings, you are entitled as anybody else is , to ask questions you would like to know the answer to

ETOPS
9th Aug 2005, 15:58
So the question now is "what happened to the Dash 8 and it's emergency landing?" BACitiexpress perchance?

Max Angle
9th Aug 2005, 21:53
Just another day at the office Not for the pilots I suspect, an engine failure at, or shortly after, take-off is a once in a career event nowadays unless you are flying something very old.

Spitoon
9th Aug 2005, 23:11
Yes Max, but meaning no disrespect to the crew who no doubt handled it very professionally, this the ATC forum and for the controllers it's just one of those things that you have to sort out and then deal with the next bunch of aircraft.