PDA

View Full Version : thrill seeker

windy1
29th Jul 2005, 21:38
30mph on a go cart seems quite fast. 70mph in a Mondeo is a similar sensation now the distance eye-ground has increased.

But 125kts at 1000 ft in a light aircraft and 450kts at 35000ft in the heavy iron and that feeling of speed is muted.

So how about flying low over the sea for that "going quite quick" feeling. Is it dangerous, and how low before it gets really silly?

ShyTorque
29th Jul 2005, 22:34
Obviously it's got far too silly when your wheels or your feet get wet. Just above that height is perfectly safe. :rolleyes:

For those willing to risk it - the deceleration caused by hitting water can be far more severe than hitting the ground - it effectively reaches up and grabs you!

Onan the Clumsy
29th Jul 2005, 23:20
...when there's nothing on the clock but the maker's name

...when you have to stand up to look over the waves

212man
29th Jul 2005, 23:28
The novelty soon wears thin. You also become acclimatised to it and need to go faster or lower to achieve the same effect (reminds you of the old adverts "I could give up if I wanted to" ?)

Don't bother. Concentrate on something more useful; IR, Aeros, Formation?

Halfbaked_Boy
30th Jul 2005, 00:49
A pilot I flew with once thought nothing of taking the old Yak down to 50 feet for some zooming! That was out of Beccles.

Cheers, Jack.

Monocock
30th Jul 2005, 05:29
How far out to sea do you have to be to go this low:confused:

Or should I know that... :uhoh:

18greens
30th Jul 2005, 06:03
How far out, no rule just - 500' from any person place or thing (or vessel)3.

I once skipped down the coast at 500' for a few minutes. Having been used to 2500' for so long it seemed quick. I quickly recovered to a more sensible height when I thought about my engine out options.

DB6
30th Jul 2005, 07:20
....or you could try the Scottish Highlands (Rannoch Moor is quite good. So I'm told) out of season, when the military aren't playing. You can quite legally fly around between the trees - both of them - as long as there aren't any ramblers about.
Not that I am in any way condoning or recommending such reckless, foolhardy and downright dangerous behaviour you understand. Perish the thought.

Mike Cross
30th Jul 2005, 07:28
My instructor used to enjoy it, however he always trimmed slightly nose high and flew at relatively fast. That way any relaxation on the controls will cause you to rise and there is less chance of a gust in the wrong direction causing you to momentarily lose height.

Personally I haven't felt the urge, mindful of the floatplane drivers' occaisonal difficulties in judging height by eye as well as AAIB reports.

I also wouln't recommend doing it like this (http://www.thenews.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=455&ArticleID=573476)
More info here (http://www.thenews.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=455&ArticleID=573887) and here (http://www.thenews.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=455&ArticleID=764584)

Mike

212man
30th Jul 2005, 08:38
The key warning flag that this thread raises is not about 'low flying', it's the bit about 'thrill seeking'. Now that should be worrying and if it's not, then that's even more worrying!

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jul 2005, 09:57
Get an IMC rating and do it just above (or even through) cloud tops. Just as exciting, a hell of a lot safer.

G

ShyTorque
30th Jul 2005, 10:27
I saw the error of my ways and gave up low flying over the sea after I had a nasty seagull strike.

Stupid of it to be swimming there, if you ask me... ;)

CRX
30th Jul 2005, 11:10
I agree with some of the comments already made. As part of my working life I spend a large proportion of my flying time below 500 feet, often very much below, in a twin engined turboprop.
The first few hours you do feels exciting and 'thrilling', but it does tend to become normal quite quickly. If the purpose of the low flying is for 'thrill seeking', there is a risk that you will push it as the novelty wears off.
The danger of birdstrikes is very high. I have had many close shaves but no hits at low level.
However I would also like to draw your attention to the possibility of fish strikes, yes fish strikes! I had a close shave with a large white fish dropped by a startled Gannet over the Minch (near the Outer Hebrides). This was witnessed by two others on board and the irony is we were the Scottish Fisheries Protection aircraft!
What an MOR that would have made.......

CRX

3 Point
30th Jul 2005, 15:47
Rushing around at low heights and high speed over the sea is very dangerous and if you have to ask how low how fast etc don't bother! Think about visial illusions created by (for example) large/small waves, long/short swell, tail/headwind (different IAS/G/S relatioship gives different perception of height) etc etc. Light aircraft don't have radalts and I cant reliably judge my height over the sea (I was a Navy pilot for 23 years).

Sorry to sound like a killjoy but I'd rather that than read about annother funeral. I lost several friends over my career in the Navy who flew just a little bit too low!

CRX is a professional pilot who will have had specific training in low level operations and I bet his aeroplane has a radalt, I also bet that if the radalt is U/S he has pretty strict ilmits on his minimum height!

Happy landings

3 Point

charliegolf
31st Jul 2005, 20:33
As a puma helicopter crewman for about 1600 hours worth, I became acutely aware of the difference between working in the weeds, which we briefed and trained for; and having a pilot play in them.

The hairs on the back of your neck really worked!

We briefed to 50' in military training areas, and 100' in others. You can't relax when at that height and 140Kts- go play twixt the trees and find at your peril that some army guy has strung a wire across the gap for his comms set.

CG

212man
31st Jul 2005, 21:02
Nice to se a consensus of opinion from the 'pros' (but then would be surprised not too!)

I too was going to mention fish strikes, but flying fish! Worse still, had some time flying in an area where, at the wrong time of year, it wasn't uncommon to have whales 'pop' up unexpectedly; now that would really hurt (if you were flying at low level, which of course we weren't)!

Seriously, as has been said, flying at low level over water/mud flats is not to be taken lightly and is a fraught activity for the untrained. It's not for no reason that landings were the greatest cause of accidents for flying boat pilots.

QDMQDMQDM
31st Jul 2005, 21:45
How about this low?

http://supercub.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album98&id=Mark_Denny5

I firmly believe it is every pilot's prerogative to go and kill themselves with tricks like this, as long as they are on their own and don't take any bystanders with them.

I am all for safety in its place, but the debates which take place on here sometimes remind me of the argy-bargy which took place in the golden age of moutaineering in the 1860s and 1870s about mountain climbing and how it was outrageous that anyone should dare to take up any such irresponsible and dangerous pastime for 'no good reason'.

Well, piffle. Nowadays, people go solo rock climbing with no protection without any criticism.

Go and have a good time in your aircraft and, if you kill yourself in the process, so be it. (As long as you don't take anyone else with you.)

QDM

Flash0710
1st Aug 2005, 01:01
Well QFKQFKQFK make sure you are sharp with your nautical flag recoginition so you crash clear of divers

Best buzz ever low away from houses over sea....:ok:

Still be safe and crash near a boat tho.

Still always wish people would fly by ferries like i know people do;) it so dull otherwise....

Safe and high..

F.

Final 3 Greens
1st Aug 2005, 11:36
Who pays for the Sea King?

Flash0710
1st Aug 2005, 18:55
Final why would you want a sea king to follow you:confused:

The Nr Fairy
2nd Aug 2005, 08:10
Flash - I think he means the big yellow one to pick up survivors and bodies.

MLS-12D
3rd Aug 2005, 13:05
Get an IMC rating and do it just above (or even through) cloud tops. Just as exciting, a hell of a lot safer.Or get a seaplane rating, and you can cruise along rivers knowing that you can always land if the noisy bit suddenly goes quiet. Great fun! But do watch out for wires. :uhoh: