View Full Version : L10-11

WANDERLUST
2nd Jul 2005, 08:41
Does anyone know any web sites with technical info on the L10-11 and other crew related info. Thanks

HotDog
2nd Jul 2005, 09:39
What do you want to know? I've got 2,200 hours on the beast.

Avman
2nd Jul 2005, 10:22
But surely, it's an L-1011 :cool:

Engineer
2nd Jul 2005, 11:16
Try here (http://flytristar.tripod.com/) :ok:

Not sure about Hotdog's offer he is retired and so dementia might have set in :O

enicalyth
2nd Jul 2005, 17:51
Don't start 411A off again, please!

Try google, type L-1011, TriStar, anything and 40,000 replies will appear including 2,000 people who will swear before God they flew it from the right hand seat for 17,000+ hours and... then from the left hand seat for another 30,000.

D'ye know, one third of them might be right. But your aircraft is such a fetish you need to love your search engine more.

Personally I liked the xxxx better,

Incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only joking 411A and to all those in Two-Sixteen try a little VC "Ten"derness

Incoming Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dengue_Dude
2nd Jul 2005, 18:08
I thought 'happiness was a warm L1011'.

Is HE out yet?

411A
2nd Jul 2005, 18:46
Well, enicalyth, I just passed 12,000 hours in Command on the 'ole three engine Lockheed, and from where I sit in the LH seat, it sure works for me.:p

Far too old to change now.:}

Now I thought that I was one of the high time guys, but personally know of a few with over 15,000 hours in type.

The SV birds have been bought, with the intension of flying a few in scheduled/charter ops, so I guess there is indeed life left in Lockheed land.
Maybe some new blood on the horizon will keep it going just a bit longer than anticipated.:uhoh:

GotTheTshirt
2nd Jul 2005, 18:57
I dont know you had bought the SV tristars, when did that happen:D :cool:

That must the the fith time they have been sold in as many years !!

I wonder how you are going to get them out of Taif without engines:O

411A
2nd Jul 2005, 19:04
I didn't 'buy them', T Shirt, but have recently been informed just who did (deposit only, at this point) and a recent survey found many serviceable engines.

Strangly enough.:ooh:

TheOddOne
2nd Jul 2005, 19:09
Why does this aircraft attract such a following? I've never flown in one (still got a chance to rectify that situation!) but I have a fondness for it that I can't justify.

I first encountered it when I was a humble plane guard in the 1970's. BA used to run their afternoon LHR- BFS service with one and in the winter the APU exhaust was angled down just nicely to keep me warm as toast. It was probably a terrible place to stand from a Health & Safety point of view. Later having moved up the ladder a bit I marvelled at their versatility landing on a runway we'd only been partly successful in clearing of ice.

ATC 'Speedbirdxxx how did you find the braking action?'

Speedbirdxxx, vacating at block 17 from 10L 'Don't know, you said it was slippery, so we didn't use the brakes, just the reverse thrust!!'

Nowadays, the only ones we see at LGW are the Portugese machines, digging BA out of the fertiliser. Rather tired-looking examples but still plodding away.

And don't forget what the Ghost of flight 401 has to say...

Repo appeared to a captain to tell him, "There will never be another crash. We will not let it happen".

Cheers,
The Odd One

Earl
2nd Jul 2005, 20:11
Not a lot of hours on the Saudia Tristars but many cycles as they were used for mostly domestic flights.
Same as the 747 classic is being used now in KSA.
Have over 3,000 hours on them myself.
Jed-Med-Jed-Med etc.
When I was flying them here we only had 2 international routes. Jed-Fra and Jed-CDG.
I am also told that none of them have the rear spar mods that is required for them to continue flying.
Not sure how much this cost but am told its very expensive.
In some cases more than the aircrafts value without engines.
Maybe some one in the engineering feild can comment further.
Was a great aircraft though.

Engineer
2nd Jul 2005, 20:35
Sure if the aircraft have been sold to the likes of the middle east operators using them now May be the spar mods will be overlooked and the aircraft will continue to fly. :E

Never know 411A might end up with another 12000hrs on them :O

enicalyth
2nd Jul 2005, 22:09
G'day 411A

I knew you'd rise. Just as sure as you knew you couldn't resist.

I hafta give you it, a good piece and well engineered. When you say it works for you, you say it with a deeply felt love and I like that.

Fair to say I follow your posts, won't agree with all of them but I'd sure chew the fat with you. My generation, my nationality we flew Boeing mainly and they're serviceable beasts. Only one came close to capturing my heart but I can never fall in love with an aircraft.

I used to go to England quite a lot and visit the RAF Museum at Hendon. The aircraft there were soulless except the biplanes and I always felt that if someone could just get that rotary to start, those girls would fly and mebbe, just mebbe, I could fly them. Dream on.

Geez if we could just be a less bitchy lot that'd do me. Sail on brother, the years stole up on me and the only girl I truly love is the one I married and she hates flying. So now I'm gonna sail my J40 and love her like a TriStar.

Being a St Helenian the only way I could ever get home until recently was via RAF TriStar as a pax and take ship. The folks passed away and my only home now is Oz so I will TriStar no more. Dad is buried in Benin and unbelievably I am not permitted to fly there!

Peace to your flying and for all the rest of you still struggling, don't shoot the messenger.

OldCessna
6th Jul 2005, 15:02
Dont tell me "The Guvnor" sent a deposit from the "Big House"

Why would anyone buy them considering there are loads of them parked in the US in much better shape with not half as many bits & pieces missing!

411A
6th Jul 2005, 15:37
No other -200's that I'm aware of, Old Cessna.
And besides, a quick survey of L10's parked in th desert will reveal many old tired machines, not fit for further use...unless big bags of cash are available.:ugh:

callout
7th Jul 2005, 05:53
There really should be a lot of engines available. The aircraft
that were scrapped had the engines removed and the RB211-22b were only fitted for the tristar.

fergineer
7th Jul 2005, 09:05
Callout......the -200 has RB211-524 either B2's or B4's not sure on these birds.....and there are not as many of them about as has been mentioned they will need a lot of money spent on them to get them back in the air..........would be nice for someone and of course jobs as well for people..........me think I will retire gracefully!!!!!

mustafagander
7th Jul 2005, 09:09
Oh, come on guys, the swamp buggy was a marvelous aircraft. Maybe it was out of its time frame, but it was just great. Typical Lockheed.

Denzil
7th Jul 2005, 10:18
I think you'll find the rear spar mod was completed some time ago at GAMCO. If the buyer takes all the aircraft and parts out 2 or 3 it should be a going concern, unless heavy maintenance due!!

As Fergineer correctly comments, these aircraft are RB211-524 equipped.

GotTheTshirt
7th Jul 2005, 13:26
The killer is AD 2003-14-21 :*

Overdue on the 524-B2 ( -200 - Saudi aircraft),
Due on the 22B ( all the -1 aircraft) next year
and the 524-B4 ( -500) the year after.

-200 is the only one with the B2 engine so very limited numbers. :cool:

Denzil - yes some of the spars were done in GAMCO but not all.

;)

mr Q
7th Jul 2005, 13:48
Have fond memories of the Cathay tristars especially on the Manila route from Kai Tak. Are any of them still flying or have they all gone to some great aircraft boneyard ??

OldCessna
7th Jul 2005, 15:07
By the time you do the mods on spar & engines you'd have been better to look at those in US storage.

Quite a few -500 series available & they are in much better shape & status and they are cheaper now than they have ever been!

Got to look at the a/c from an economic standpoint.

Forget the emotional thing about what a great a/c it is to fly!

411A
8th Jul 2005, 13:33
You might be surprised to learn, Old Cessna, that many of the parked aircraft in storage in the USA have not had the engine AD terminated either...which reduces their hull value considerably.

Pays your money...takes 'yer chances:uhoh: :uhoh:

OldCessna
8th Jul 2005, 15:38
Thats right!

Bet you are not taking a chance with your money though!

GotTheTshirt
13th Jul 2005, 00:51

NONE of the engines in the US have had the engine AD terminated:O

GlueBall
13th Jul 2005, 18:15
Just the other day I saw a StarAir -500 (9L-LDR, ex BWIA) collecting dust on the ramp at DAM...probably will come back to life for the Hadj....

giblets
24th Aug 2005, 12:40
Saw this advertisement for the ex SV birds, incidetally they used to dot he LHR-RUH route in 84'ish IIRC

15 Lockheed L-1011-200 aircraft manufactured between 1975 and 1981 for immediate sale. Three are airworthy and D-check is not required. A total of 45 RB-211-524B2 engines are currently installed.
The airplanes are in great condition and 15 engines have less than 700 hours of flight time and almost like new. The offer to sell the aircraft or engines or any other parts installed. The airplanes are former Saudi Arabian Airlines examples and now owned by private operator and they are in preserved condition. If you have any interest to buy or find a buyer for those aircraft, please feel free to contact me and we will provide you with all data.