PDA

View Full Version : AirProx

Hold27Left
23rd Jun 2005, 14:31
Just a quick question, can anyone direct me to where i can download an airporx form for the controllers side? Iv been asked to file one as well as a MOR however can only find the form from the 'pilot side'

Regards

H27Left

egbt
23rd Jun 2005, 14:43
suggest you e-mail [email protected] and ask for one. They were very helpfull when I filed (as a pilot) a few weeks ago.

rgards

Hold27Left
23rd Jun 2005, 14:52
Will do thanks for your help :)

Eva San
23rd Jun 2005, 15:17
Just a quick question, can anyone direct me to where i can download an airporx form for the controllers side?

[provocation mode ON]

Does that mean that there's no one in charge of safety matters in Liverpool ?
[provocation mode OFF] :confused: :confused:

qcode
23rd Jun 2005, 17:00
A MOR will do. I do not think that there is an ATC Airprox form. At the top of the MOR form it actually asks for the type of incident.

squibbler
23rd Jun 2005, 19:21
Eva San you are assuming that Hold27Left is a Liverpool controller. If he/she is they must be a bit daft, there's a bleedin' great stack of them on the supervisors desk!

The naivety of the original question suggests a wannabe, and if Hold27Left is an ATCO then he should prepare himself for a mammoth p*ss taking session when we find out who he is :}

av8boy
23rd Jun 2005, 19:28
can anyone direct me to where i can download an airporx form for the controllers side?

Yeah, airporx. When pigs fly...

;)

egbt
23rd Jun 2005, 20:36
Dyslexia rules KO?

Or out of sync fingers - know the prob, when will this computer work out what I want to say?

Several airfields around Liverpool guys:D

Hold27Left
26th Jun 2005, 21:38
I am no wannabe and as it was said by EGBT there are plenty of aerodromes / airports around the northwest,.. dont have to work at liverpool just becuase i live there :)

Cuddles
27th Jun 2005, 04:09
Also you don't have to live in Liverpool especially if you don't work there.;)

I am not related to Boris Johnson.

Eva San
27th Jun 2005, 12:15
So, now we know that Hold27Left is not a wannabee, which I'll take as he's a controller. He doesn't work at John Lennon but in a field closeby.

So I 'll just rephrase a bit my question:

Does that mean that there's no one in charge of safety matters at Hold27Left's airport ? Or maybe even worse, he's in charge of safety matters, but he has been so well prepared and briefed for his mission that he doesn't know how to find an Airprox form...

:} :} :} :D

Squadgy
27th Jun 2005, 13:24
This raises an interesting point - An airprox is defined as :

" situation in which, in the opinion of a pilot or a controller, the distance between aircraft as well as their relative positions and speed have been such that the safety of the aircraft involved was or may have been compromised. "

Without giving away Hold27Left's location (it can't be that hard to work out though from his previous posts though
:) ), it appears the UKAB will accept reports from non-controllers who provide an Air Traffic service (See Airprox 165/03 for an example).

Hold27Left's question is therefore valid as guidance on how to file these reports will not have been formally provided, (in the licence syllabus).

squibbler
27th Jun 2005, 13:28
Hold27Left's question is therefore valid as guidance on how to file these reports will not have been formally provided.

But it should be shouldn't it? How are they expected to submit the forms if they have no formal training in how to do it?? Let alone not actually having any on site!!

egbt
27th Jun 2005, 13:49
How are they expected to submit the forms if they have no formal training in how to do it

Well pilots are not trained to fill them in and they are not exactly difficult, do controllers need to be? - and that was not intended as a facetious or sarcastic question.

I do however agree it would be sensible to have forms available - it would have saved me some trouble, but then the field I was flying from that day only has an a/g service.

squibbler
27th Jun 2005, 19:35
Maybe "formal training" wasn't quite appropriate, but I was shown how to fill them in and the principles behind the forms themselves as part of my first validation training. There's also advice for controllers in CAP 493 (MATS Pt 1).

You're right regarding them not being difficult to fill in, but I usually take a few goes to get it right, you know.....tick the wrong box, score out the wrong choice etc :O . I think fundamentally the difficulty is knowing when to fill out a form. At an ATC unit the training & safety culture means that it becomes part of your overall repetoire as an ATCO as to when to reach for the forms, the process is well tested and comes automatically. You also learn when it is perhaps appropriate not to fill one out!!:)

I really don't know if there is a guide for non-ATC / Pilot types out there......perhaps there should be?:confused:

Hold27Left
27th Jun 2005, 21:10
squibbler

I would agree with what you are saying, and there have been times when you 'let them slip' however this one was serious. An MOR was filed and recieved by the relevant people however it was also requested that the correct Airprox form was also filled in to which the 'unit' i work at have non at hand. My post on here was to ask if anyone knew who or where i could retrieve the relevant document from.

Regards

Hold27Left.

egbt
27th Jun 2005, 21:41
Squibbler

I agree knowing when to file is the big problem, after mine I talked to the a/c operator, who also taught me to fly, he gave good general advice but said it was down to me. I then sent an e-mail outlining the incident to the AirProx Board and (probably inevitably) they sent me the form, so I filed.

Given that it would have been a brown trouser job if I had had time to think - 150 (OK perhaps 200-300?) ft separation, 90deg crossing @ 100Knt), filing seemed a reasonable thing to do. Having said that I guess there will be few new lessons from the incident (no ATC involvement, GA vs GA) but we can hope that it contributes to the overall picture of what is going on out there and that has to be the guiding principle.

I just hope I don’t ever have to file another. And I hope my wife does not find out about this one!;)