PDA

View Full Version : How to be an A/G or FISO

MikeSamuel
19th May 2005, 11:24
I was thinking the other day that I wouldn't mind having a go at being an A/G operator or FISO. Would have to be a part-time thing but I think it would be interesting to see (or hear!) things from the other end of the radio.

Is it a fairly simple process to become qualified? What kind of costs are involved? Do smaller airfields take on part-timers in this way? Should I expect to be paid to do this kind of work?

Mikey

noelwj
19th May 2005, 12:25
Having an RT licence is the only requirement that I am aware of to be an A/G operator. The CAA will validate your own licence once you recieve it for your PPL. Being a pilot on the other end of the transmition will give you the advantage in knowing what to expect on the RT. Having been flying for 20 years now, the transition into A/G was very easy 8 months ago when the opportunity arose for me. I am sure that there are plenty of small airfields out there who would be only too glad to have an extra pair of hands on board ( especially at weekends). Make a few phone calls, offer your services FOC to start off with. Above all ENJOY your flying.

Noelwj

Frogga
20th May 2005, 10:00
Im A/G at Wellesbourne at the moment, and just recently passed the FISO exams. To be A'G all you need is an RT licence, and approval from the Airfield manager.

To Be an AFISO, you need to take 2 exams at Gatwick,

1- FISO laws and Procedures
2- Nav and Met (your exempt if you hold a PPL)

Then the licence will be issued, but you need validation in the aerodromes tower that you will work in, and you need to have completed a minimum of 40 hours in the tower under supervision, before the validation can take place, and once this has been completed you cn be a validated FISO.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

veetwo
20th May 2005, 12:27
Hi Frogga,

How did you enrol on the FISO course? Do they run at set intervals? I've had a look at the CAA website, and while I can find some information, I'm missing the specifics. Is it purely self study and then book on to an exam date?

Cheers

V2

Squadgy
20th May 2005, 14:23
All the info you need about becoming a FISO is documented on the CAA's site :

www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=43&pagetype=90&pageid=4748 (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=43&pagetype=90&pageid=4748)

Essentially it's the written exams, then 40 hours minimum training before a validation wither with a CAA ATS Standards Inspector or a Unit Examiner.

Following that there is a competency check every two years, plus whatever checks the unit you work at choose to give you as well.

In addition you'd need to provide FIS at least once every 90 days to maintain your validation.

Whilst the written exams are self study, I'd suggest getting in touch with the unit you hope to work at first - they may be able to offer some training, and more importantly confirm that they'll let you validate and work there once you have the writtens.

Good luck :ok:

vintage ATCO
24th May 2005, 16:14
Just to clarify things a bit, to be an A/G operator you need a Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence (form CA1308). This is different to a FRTOL but the CAA will issue a certificate on the back of it.

The certificate then needs to be signed by the radio licensee at the aerodrome you intend to operate at.

See CAP452 available on the CAA's website.