PDA

View Full Version : Calling Controllers By Their First Name.......

BRL
18th Apr 2005, 11:50
I have noticed this a lot recently, instructors calling the controllers by their first names on the radio.

A couple of things I would like to know regarding this;

Do you call your local controller by their real name?

If you are a controller, do you mind someone using your first name?

Sorry if it seems a bit of a weird subject but it is something that has been niggling away at me for a while now and I would like to know what others here think. :)

(back to the dark room now...............)

mazzy1026
18th Apr 2005, 12:04
When I was an Air Cadet (learning to use the radios (on the ground, non aviation)) I was always taught never to use anyone's name, as it was illegal? Don't know whether this can relate to aviation or not, but would be good to know.

Maz

PPRuNe Pop
18th Apr 2005, 12:58
Don't know if its illegal but it is very bad practice and can lead to confusion.

Pretty soon you would have controllers using first names to the pilot he is controlling - then were would we be?

Circuit Basher
18th Apr 2005, 13:20
At Bournemouth, when I was learning (96), it was very common for the old & bold instructors to call the similarly talented ATCOs by first names.

When taking to a particular controller at EDI (who I knew very well), I'd occasionally slip and mention his first name (but within a message that was prefixed / suffixed by normal formalities).

Aim Far
18th Apr 2005, 14:16
Heard once at Ronaldsway -

A commercial aircraft came on frequency, callsign [Company]123, with a pilot obviously known to the controller. The controller then used the callsign [Jim]123 in future exchanges. Shortly afterwards, another commercial comes on frequency, hears the other exchanges and demands to be called [Bob]234. Controller responds, "negative, but you can be Heidi234 if you like." The second pilot declined.

Kolibear
18th Apr 2005, 14:20
The time to worry is when you get addressed by your pprune name!

big.al
18th Apr 2005, 14:32
The time to worry is when you get addressed by your pprune name!

Kolibear -

Exactly that happened to me, just after taking off from Norwich a couple of years back. As tower handed me over to approach, I was given a friendly... "regards to Big Al" just before changing frequency.

Never did find out if it was NikNak, but Norwich were great when I was there. I even forgot to book out in person (assuming I could do it over the radio - Oops, force of habit) but they didn't bat an eyelid.

pilotwolf
18th Apr 2005, 14:46
In the first ambulance service I worked for it was policy to pass the controller your initials when receiving a 999 call and the controller would then respond with theirs... idea being it was logged on the tape who said what.

One day I was working with a guy called John L****n and the controller was John H*****y; A job was passed to us and then the formalities:

Controller:"..Thank you John, My initials JH, and yours please?"
Crew: "Thanks John, JL."
Controller: "Roger Mr.L***n, Red Base out."

PW

matspart3
18th Apr 2005, 17:08
Loads of pilots keep calling me Roger...it p!$$es me off, it's not my name

mad_jock
18th Apr 2005, 17:49
Unless they start its pretty bad form. If it is used it can only be for social stuff or for there info eg organising a first solo Never for an instruction or a request for information.

Sometimes it seems to be used to bypass the student when they want to talk to the instructor and the student is on the RT eg xxxxxxx i have an inbound in 10 mins how many T&G's have you got to go.

Also the ATCO is human as well and works with the instructor day in day out and its not unknown for another freq to be given for box 2 to get that nights beer drinking plans sorted out.

MJ

AerBabe
18th Apr 2005, 21:21
Many people call me by name and I do the same. However, we do use call signs too! For example:

"North Weald, good morning, this is G-****"

"G-****, North Weald, good morning Kolibear, pass your message"

"Good morning AerBabe, G-**** is a ..." etc etc.

Note: Kolibear's RT isn't that good. He doesn't bother with 'Golf'. ;)

spekesoftly
18th Apr 2005, 23:07
If you are a controller, do you mind someone using your first name?

It can be a tad distracting if you haven't a clue who the other guy is !!! :p

QSK?
19th Apr 2005, 06:55
Professional pilots can be identified as those who are acting professionally at all times whether they are flying, navigating or communicating.

Most pilots don't operate or navigate the aircraft by compromising published or regulatory standards, so why do some pilots/ATCOs feel compelled to compromise published communications standards? There is enough frequency congestion as it is without ATCOs/pilots further contributing through the injection of innane chatter which may, in fact, compromise aviation safety.

So, the next time any pilot or controller feel the need to have a "chat", spare a thought for the pilot in distress who is waiting for you guys to finish so that he can get his "mayday" call in to ATC; or for the ATCO who is waiting for the pilots to finish so that he can advise each aircraft of that traffic that's about to enter their cockpits through their front windscreens!

Genghis the Engineer
19th Apr 2005, 09:55
Whilst I've no time for people who chat on RT, there is a difference between trying to emulate a robot and acting like a human being.

On a relatively quiet channel, two words of personal acknowledgment do no harm, and help to maintain a friendly working environment for everybody.

Assuming you both know who each other are !

G

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2005, 10:04
I'm with Genghis. I fly from an airport where the RT varies from the hectic to very quiet. There are 5 commercial training companies, 4 fixed-wing clubs and a helicopter school. There are also various airlines, a government contractor and other small operators flying out of here.

During the day it is busy, occasionally difficult to get a call in. However due to the pattern of use, by 18:00 it is quiet, then I will occasionally say hi to a friend in the tower or on radar. This can even be useful, as it lets them know it's me, and they get used to the fact that I am an experienced pilot and instructor, so I can be asked to do more to fit in with their needs to facilitate traffic flow whenver they hear my voice.

strake
19th Apr 2005, 11:44
As one QSY's from one's own airfield, I can't see the harm in allowing the below-stairs staff to show a little familiarity.....

Other than that though, standards Ladies and Gentlemen, standards.

italianjon
20th Apr 2005, 08:43
When I was an Air Cadet (learning to use the radios (on the ground, non aviation)) I was always taught never to use anyone's name, as it was illegal?

If I remember, being the tecchie who taught radio at an Air Cadet unit.

You use Military Frequencies, and are therefore under much tighter rules.

BEagle
20th Apr 2005, 10:05
Anyone who has ever worked with a naval fighter director will have spoken to the infamous "Roger Waitout" - he seems to have had more sea time than Nelson!

mazzy1026
20th Apr 2005, 13:24
Well said ItalianJon :cool:

As a student, I do like to put the odd 'social' word in there, as Genghis said, it does no harm and maintains a good atmosphere. For example, when changing frequency, the odd "thank-you" or "good-day" doesn't go wrong :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
20th Apr 2005, 19:25
You use Military Frequencies, and are therefore under much tighter rules.

Basically bad security, it's not long ago that the Provisional IRA would target anybody in uniform, including Air Cadets.

G

NATCA BNA
21st Apr 2005, 02:53
BRL,

I've noted that at smaller air traffic facilities/airports where the controllers and pilots tend to get together after work you will hear someone use the controllers or pilots name and say hello, but never when it was busy.

Mike
NATCA BNA