PDA

View Full Version : Parachutist dropping

eoincarey
17th Apr 2005, 19:11
Hey ppl

Another of my dumb questions! I gather that PPL's are in fact allowed to do parachute dropping flights, and this is something that really interests me. Is this a realistic ambition, or is it mainly CPL's who do this sort of work? Anybody know of places who need para dropping pilots (preferably up North)? Any info appreciated.

Cheers big ears,

ETC

18greens
17th Apr 2005, 20:49
You can do it on a PPL as long as you don't get paid. As soon as you get paid (hire and reward) you need a CPL. Call up the clubs and ask. If you learn to jump they may be keener to take you on.

You can also tow gliders, tow banners and instruct on a PPL. Good luck.

eoincarey
17th Apr 2005, 21:01
cheers,
why should i have to learn to jump? I have absolutely no intention of jumping out of a perfectly good a/c, that scares the living cr*p out of me!!

ETC

Chequeredflag
17th Apr 2005, 21:22
18greens,

Can you REALLY instruct on a PPL licence?? I read in the Jeremy Pratt Air Law book, that "even if your mate is a BA 747 Captain, he cannot instruct without an instructors rating".

Maybe I misunderstood......perhaps a PPL holder can get such an instructors rating, though I thought it could only be achieved with a CPL.

I'm confused now!

aerobatic_dude
17th Apr 2005, 21:37
From what in understand yes you can instruct on a PPL provided you have an instructor rating. But you CANNOT earn money on a PPL.

That's why instructor's have CPL's so that they can earn. Some Guy's just do the instruction on their PPL to keep current.

shortandsmelly
18th Apr 2005, 00:03
As soon as you get paid (hire and reward) you need a CPL
...depends... are you getting paid for the FLYING (in which case, yes you do need a CPL), or are you getting paid for the DROPPING (sort of like a toll as they go out the door... ) - plenty of loopholes there:E

18greens
18th Apr 2005, 06:07
Why not learn to jump, its got to be fun. Another thing on my list of thing to do when I get the time and the money.

As for the servicable aircraft comment, every meat bomb will remind you there is no such thing as a servicable aircraft.

Whirlybird
18th Apr 2005, 08:33
You can instruct with a PPL in two ways...

1) You got your instructor's rating in the old days via the BCPL and instructor's rating route, and now have grandfather rights. You can instruct and be paid. There are still quite a lot of instructors like that around.
2) You prove that you have CPL theoretical knowledge, which effectively means you pass the CPL ground exams. You then do the FI course and pass a Class 1 medical. A lot of people think you don't need a class 1 for this route, but I know someone who's been looking into it, and found that you definitely do (anyone know different, please let us know). You can then instruct, but not be paid. Since the only difference is that you haven't done the CPL flying, there's little point. But it CAN be done.

gijoe
18th Apr 2005, 10:31
...that's not what it says on Page 293 of LASORS 2005.

I can't cut and paste but it says that you can instruct with a PPL(A) and a Class 2 medical...but cannot be paid.

I'd be very interested to know why your mate thinks he can't.

G

Whirlybird
18th Apr 2005, 11:53
gijoe,

I just found the relevant bit, and it looks like you're right. But I remember going over this in detail some time ago...unfortunately I can't remember exactly why he (and I) thought otherwise. I'll have another read of LASORS and see what I can find, unless someone who's more familiar with the rules and regs lets us know for certain...BEagle, where are you when we need you?

tmmorris
18th Apr 2005, 14:07
Hang on, though, surely if you fly someone else's aircraft and don't pay for the privilege, you are flying for hire or reward, regardless of whether you take parachutists up as well..?

Tim

chrisN
18th Apr 2005, 15:22
I am not a legal expert, but as far as glider towing is concerned, I believe it works as follows.

Most gliding clubs are not commercial concerns - they are members clubs which one way or another have all full members jointly owning the club's assets including the towplane(s) (usually through some form of Limited Company in which all have an equal share, or are deemed to). Their financial transactions are legally regarded as the members trading among themselves, and so are not commercial.

Tow plane pilots therefore do not need commercial licences of any sort if they are not being paid.

I should have thought that many parachute clubs operate similarly.

For a PPL to come in from outside and get accepted as a parachute drop pilot (or glider tug pilot), however, may be a different matter. A lot of gliding clubs require them to join as gliding members and to have, or acquire, some gliding experience before tugging. I don't know if parachute clubs do the same - best to ring the one you are interested in and ask them.

Chris N.