PDA

View Full Version : Oz jobs?

atcomarkingtime
2nd Apr 2005, 18:49
Any oz controllers out there to give me a heads up? I looked at the website n all sems good - how's the pay etc at the mo?

Jerricho
7th Apr 2005, 12:34
I looked at the website n all sems good

So.....what IS he doing in Dubai?

Spuds McKenzie
7th Apr 2005, 14:07
atcomarkingtime,

If you believe that the grass is greener elsewhere, let me give you some advice:

Inform yourself as best as you can about the conditions (pay, working environment, way of working, management and especially how they treat their employees, tax, cost of living). Have a look around at the premises of your potential employer, talk to staff.
After you've done that be aware that you'll only know half. The other half you'll get to know once you're actually living and working there. Believe me it is so (I'm speaking from experience...).
Expect things at work not only to be different from what you're used to, but very different (GOPs, SOPs, phraseo). Not a problem as such and to a certain extent logic, but only to a certain extent (and there you can believe me as well...).

Most importantly though:

Don't burn the bridge down behind you!

Because you might wanna have a (work)place to go back to...

atcomarkingtime
7th Apr 2005, 15:02
DUBAI? Now why didn't i think of that one? No grass there!!

9Ws
10th Apr 2005, 06:34
But seroiusly, what IS going on down there?

Any jobs for "Area Radar Controllers" from overseas with prior experience who DO have the right to work and live in Oz?

Any controller from within Airservices care to comment?

DirtyPierre
14th Apr 2005, 07:31
Any jobs for "Area Radar Controllers" from overseas with prior experience who DO have the right to work and live in Oz?
9Ws, there is currently a shortage of controllers in Oz in all streams, en-route, tower and approach. We don't have "area radar controllers", we have en-route controllers. En-route controllers do area and arrivals control with or without radar. An en-route controller is expected to be able to do it all so to speak.

As for vacancies, well yes there are plenty. In fact, 2 Kiwis just finished their initial rating training.

If you want a job in our sunburnt country, log on to the AirservicesAustralia website, or contact AsA Human Resources. They'll be able to give you details of how to apply. I think the best person would be Brad Wise, or Carol Cheffins.

Any way send them an e-mail and good luck.

Zam
20th Apr 2005, 07:48
If there are a shortage how many points would you get towards any permenant residency application?

VRB03KT CAVOK
20th Apr 2005, 08:05
Air Traffic Controlers aren't on the general skills list, they are on the Employer Nomination Scheme which is a bit different. Spend some time on www.immi.gov.au and you'll find some answers.

Good Luck

atcomarkingtime
24th Apr 2005, 11:19
I thought though that airservices wouldn't sponsor people - isn't this the same? I'm interested in the move for en-route and need more info for applying - the link seems to go to the oz gov web page, but still unsure if airservices will help.
Love to get more info about applying

GWYN
25th Apr 2005, 20:06
With reference to your last post, atcomarkingtime, it would be a great folly to think that ASA will help with anything, unless they have undergone a collective metamorphosis recently. On the contrary they are more likely to frustrate you at every turn. I suggest that Spuds gives some wise advice, particularly the bit about bridges!

Admittedly it seems to be pretty common in the world of ATC, but I don't think ASA could ever be described as a fair and caring employer.

duknweev
25th Apr 2005, 20:14
Things aren't looking peachy on the industrial front downunder.
Shafted Oz ATC (http://www.shaftedatc.tk/)
Also a fair bit of comment on recruitment at their forums
Civil Air (http://www.civilair.asn.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl)

Spuds McKenzie
26th Apr 2005, 08:46
It's pretty straight forward:

You don't stand a chance unless you are a permanent resident.

Should you opt for applying for permanent residency and eventually be granted one (good luck with that...), you would fall under the so called RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) scheme, which is tailored for licenced ATCOs (including RAAFies).

Problem is though: You'll start at the bottom of the pay scale.

Conclusion: Not good enough.

Besides, ASA doesn't carry the best of reputations as an employer...

P.S. Kiwis have a special status since they have a right to live and work in Oz as such.

Zerc
27th Apr 2005, 04:58
Dirty Pierre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been trying unsuccessfully for over 18 months to get an enroute position with ASA.
I have gone through all the official channels to no avail but
have been told that there are currently no vacancies.
However my oz colleagues here and frequent posts on this forum seem to indicate otherwise.
Why are they so reluctant to recruit from overseas if we have permanent residence status and have the qualifications?

I have not contacted Brad Wise yet , what is his position/title and do you have a contact no or email?
Thanx