PDA

View Full Version : Props and the N reg

Flyboy-F33
1st Apr 2005, 07:18
Some clarification needed here.

Can anyone confirm whether manufacturers recommended overhaul periods for props (either 5 or 6 years depending on make) are mandatory?

I thought I had read somewhere that they can be run 'on condition'.

This is not to debate the sensibility of running 'on condition' but the legality

Genghis the Engineer
1st Apr 2005, 07:23
It'll depend upon what is actually stated in the maintenance manual for that aircraft / prop.

G

Flyboy-F33
1st Apr 2005, 07:57
Surely the manual would contain the manufacturers recommendations?, but that isnt necessarily the legal requirement? That would be somewhere if FAR part 91 or part 43. trouble is, I cant find it

Genghis the Engineer
1st Apr 2005, 08:02
The manual is approved by the FAA, they decide what is mandatory, not the manufacturer ultimately.

G

javelin
1st Apr 2005, 20:51
Which brings up an interesting point for aeroplanes on the UK register.

I understand that you can either opt for a Notice 75 schedule or operate to the manufacturers schedule, then overhaul.

I once looked at a Zlin that hadn't had a Notice 75 for 5 years, it's C of A had been renewed because it was operating to the manufacturers overhaul schedule.

Comments welcome because I detest the thought of doing Notice 75's on a perfectly serviceable prop.

Onan the Clumsy
1st Apr 2005, 21:47
It may...depend on how the a/c is used. For instance in the US, engine TBO is mandatory for commercial use, but optional for private only use.

What do you mean by N reg btw?

Flyboy1976
2nd Apr 2005, 17:34
According to the FAA it is mandatory to comply with the maintenance manual.

BUT as a rule prop and engine overhaul lives are stated in a service bullitins which are not considered mandatory by the FAA.

Therefore if you are operating on the N-Reg under Part 91 (private) you do not have to carry out prop or engine overhauls if you dont want to.

Keef
2nd Apr 2005, 21:58
I thought Notice 75 was extinct now, and G aircraft fly to the manufacturer's recommended service intervals?

We had ours done at 5 years after the Notice 75 (and needed a new prop).