PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Le Mans

gliderman69
16th Mar 2005, 17:06
Hi all

I am looking for some help and suggestions on flying to Lemans

I am planning to do it this year, but it will be the furtherst that i have flown into France.

So does any one have who has done this before have any top tips for me, also please assume that I am to stupid ask even the most basic information that way everything can be covered! :D

I'm based at Cranfield so was planning to coast out over Southampton, I know that this is a long water crossing etc but I dont really fancy flying close to Paris and I have confidence in my engine!

Any tip would be helpful

Cheers

Gliderman (not flying in a glider there!!!)

Loony_Pilot
16th Mar 2005, 17:13
ello mate :-))

I'll come along if I can!

gliderman69
16th Mar 2005, 17:23
Always welcome!

4 in the plane with you, that means it's the old less fuel more wine decision again!

Do you think it will run on wine? :oh:

helicopter-redeye
16th Mar 2005, 17:24
Do you mean Le Mans?

Hairyplane
16th Mar 2005, 18:06
A fairly sleepy typical French aeroclub with nothing to worry about as far as I recall.

The biggest pitfall is to park in the GA area and then ask for directions to the (excellent) museum. It is across the other side of the airfield, requiring a long walk around the peri track.

We cheated and landed at the gliding club - nice grass strip and directly alongside the museum - voila!

Not far from there is an interesting aeroclub called La Fleche - literally hacked out of the forest by the military (now long gone).

A very friendly place with a bar.

That area of France is really nice - you need to plan in a trip along the Loire and maybe lob into Saumur for some wine and culture. There are some stunning Chateaux all along the Loire.

A good tip is to avoid doing a Loire trip in the middle of the hot afternoon - it can get quite rough and unpleasant.

No wonder the French tend to fly in the evenings!

Enjoy.

HP

helicopter-redeye
16th Mar 2005, 18:18
Thus clarrified (not the leman gas field), the cross channel service from Deuville is very good. Once past the coastal area, there tends to be an element of being on your own (Paris Info v disinterested)

Watch out for the danager areas when heading South. There are a number of VOR/DME to follow to keep clear of the central area and get a good track SW or S.

Plan well, have a number of diverts available, and pick fields with radar for this.

I did Barcelona via this type of route (refuel at Rodez). Quite a hike. Watch out for the weather in the SW as well. High ground to the left (East).

h-r

Flap40
16th Mar 2005, 18:28
Firstly, when are you planning to go? If you are going for the 24h race then you will need to consult the appropriate french AIC/notam for slot times etc etc.
Remember also that the weekend always seems to be the (UK) CAA's enforcement branch "day out" and everyone gets ramp checked looking for "dodgy charters" etc so make sure all your paperwork is in order.
If going at some other time you will probably need to book customs 24hrs or so ahead or clear somewhere else (Cherbourg/Deauville/Dinard etc).

Lastly, on my chart a straight line from Le2K to LeMans does not go anywhere near Paris.

B Fraser
16th Mar 2005, 18:53
If anyone would like to become a member of the best drinking club at the race then drop me a PM. Team Waaayhaaay is open to pilots, medics, adventurers, wits, raconteurs, gastronauts and jolly good types in general. However you must be a total petrolhead (why else would you go ?).

Team Waaayhaaay arrives on the Thursday in good time for the two qualifying sessions, spends the Friday morning with our adopted official race team in the garage and then tootles off to a well kept secret restaurant about 15 miles South of the Porsche Curves for a very long lunch. After returning to the campsite, we host a BBQ for our adopted race team followed by a huge fireworks party that shames anything else that the other supporters clubs can muster.

Saturday sees the serious partying start at the traditional midday gathering at the Champagne bar. After loads of champoo, the survivors then stagger off to watch the start at 16:00. After another 12 hours drinking and eating our way to Tertre Rouge and back via the Grand Marnier Crepe stall, there's a few hours kip before meeting up at Prost Karting for the Sunday shoot-out.

Having cheered the winners at 16:00, there's more merryment followed by another BBQ with forfeits, awards and recognition of any outstanding contribution to the race weekend. Departure is very early on the Monday with a scenic blast back to blighty..... with a pre-qualifying xxx mph sprint for next year where road conditions allow (don't flame me please !)

Team drinking shirts will be provided at cost.

Fuji Abound
16th Mar 2005, 19:31
Went to Le Mans for the races last year, a good outing.

The route is straight forward. You might like to coast out some where around Shoreham if you are coming from Cranfield. Shoreham will give you a peace of mind service to the FIR or of course work London as you prefer. Make land fall around Deauville or a little to the West. Deauville will give you a good service and it is a pleasant customs stop if you feel like a break. Take care to avoid the danger area to the north east of Deauville.

From Deauville it is direct to Le Mans overhead Alencon if you wish BUT make sure you avoid the danger area almost due north of Alencon.

During the 25 hour race Le Mans is very busy and very expensive! You will need to book and have the AIC. Parking will be on the grass and their is a regular bus service especially arranged to take you to the tack (at a cost). It is about a 30 miniute walk otherwise. At that time of year it can get pretty warm so think about your aircraft's performance if you are near MTOW. The ground rises to the north of 02 and you can expect some turbulence over the rising ground in hot weather. There is customs during the 24 hour race but I think only by arrangement at other times.

Beware there is a danger area to the east of Le Mans if you decide to divert a little of track. Of course you will want to check the danger areas in case they have changed.

All in all a pleasant trip although the scenery en route is not particularly interesting.

DubTrub
16th Mar 2005, 20:39
Flew there for about five years on the trot for the 24 Heures...a good crack, but getting expensive (last time was 2 years ago). The cheapest part of the trip is the entrance to the circuit...about £40 for three days.

We used to arrive on Friday afternoon so as to:
a) fly the track
b) get into the pits, which are open to the great unwashed until 6pm local time Friday.

A slot number (and time) is a must, although there was never any problem either getting one or changing it if circumstances dictate, or even arriving early. The GA parking is pretty much empty now compared with a few decades ago. Arriving in the vicinity, they are usually very accommodating if you ask to fly the circuit, certainly on the Friday. Fuel up on arrival if you need it. The bowser comes to you if you ask over the radio.

The AIC should be out soon, available from the French website http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/ or thereabouts. This also has a phone number for PPR & slot times.

Landing / parking was about £55 for a light two-seater for the three or four days.

Camping is available next to the tower (no pre-booking required), but not under the wing. The airport offer a little charabanc (navette) service from the terminal building to the race entrance for a few bob. We used to pre-arrange car hire, which they delivered to the airport, so as to get out for a decent meal. But it was no good for getting across the airfield to the track. The track entrance is about a mile or so walk from the airport terminal. The garage at the airport entrance do reasonable nosh, and have showers!

The Chinese restaurant on the Mulsanne straight was surrounded by plastic sheeting last time I went, so you don't even get to see the 200mph+ cars whizzing by any more. You could still eat there, however.

We always either stayed an extra day, or flew out 2 hours before the foregone conclusion race end, so as to avoid the rush for departures.

They got rid of the art-deco terminal building several years ago, now replaced by some glass-and-concrete monstrosity.

Hope this helps. Now tell me you aren't going for the H24?

WorkingHard
16th Mar 2005, 21:12
Best advice I can give (caught out once - once only I stress) is to MAKE SURE there is avgas available at your intended refuel stop and be certain you can reach an alternative (or two). Oh nearly forgot ENJOY!

gliderman69
17th Mar 2005, 05:43
Hey all!

Thanks for the advice it is very much appreciated. Yes I am going for the races, Flying down currently with 2 friends who have never flown before.

Already faxed ATC was planning to go on the Thursday and back on Monday to give me time to recover from the weekend! ;) And as you say DubTrub to avoid the rush. Thanks for the tip about camping as well, currently I have 2 other mates drving down (how boring is that!?) who have a camping permit at the race track but I may opt for the airfield less nosiy etc.

If people are going there and want to meet up to chat and drink :O I will be flying a blue Aero Commander, PM for my mobile number and extra contact details.

B Fraser PM is on the way!!!!!

Cheers all once again for the advice it will all be followed and taken in.

Gliderman

englishal
17th Mar 2005, 07:44
I'll be there. We were planning on driving down, but flying sounds like more fun. We managed to get two camping tickets this year, we bought them last August or so as they're like gold dust.....

A_Pommie
17th Mar 2005, 09:07
B Fraser

Are you with the lot who pitch up at the roundabout next to Houx annex with a disco transit and a shed load of fire works?
If so top job!
Been going to Le Man (car version) for 4 or 5 years now. I've always driven as my idiot brother is scared of flying. One year I'll ditch him and fly down.
Should we organise a pprune bash at Le Man?

Brooklands
17th Mar 2005, 12:57
GliderMan,

As others have pointed out, if you're going for the 24 Hours then you MUST read the AIC and get a slot.

As to the route, every time I've been (from Wycombe), we've routed via Goodwood VOR, SITET*, and the Le Harve NDB for the channel crossing. If the danger areas aren't active then you can miss out SITET and go direct to LHO (or even DVL). The advantage of going this way is that the Goodwood VOR/DME has very good range, and you should be able (depending on altitude) to get a signal almost all the way to the French coast.

From LHO the route is DVL, LGL, LE Mans (as far as I can remember without any charts to hand). Unless the French have upgraded the DVL and LGL VORs since I was there last (in 2002 for the Le Mans Classic), then neither have a DME (most VORs in France don't have a co-located DME).

If you want to get to the town from the circuit, then there's a bus service from just outside the entrance to the circuit which runs regularly while the race is on.

As for camping at the airfield being quieter, don't bet on it. Last time I was there for the 24 Hours (in 1999) it was VERY noisy on the Friday night (the parties went on until at least 3am) and someone was setting of rockets accross the camp site in the early hours as well. Not so bad on the Saturday night as nearly everybody is over at the track.

Brooklands

*SITET - Useful airways reporting point on the FIR, just east of the danger area, I think its marked on the UK CAA charts

B Fraser
18th Mar 2005, 06:38
Are you with the lot who pitch up at the roundabout next to Houx annex with a disco transit and a shed load of fire works?

No, we were the B*ggers who silenced them all the way from Karting Nord. We did our show around 22:30 on the Friday and made so much noise that the French surrendered.

Our firewords do travel to France in their own transit van though !

gliderman69
18th Mar 2005, 06:54
Brooklands

Do you have a distance from Goodwood? I have yet to buy the charts and want a rough idea.

On that point when do France update thier charts don't want to buy one now then have to rebuy in a month, any offers?

A pprune bash in at Le Mans now there is an idea Pommie!!!

Shall we?

Gliderman69

Fly Stimulator
18th Mar 2005, 07:23
when do France update thier charts

15th April for the IGN 1:500,000 charts according to Boutique du Pilote who I've ordered mine from.

A_Pommie
18th Mar 2005, 09:13
B Fraser

I thought that the Houx lot did there show on Staurnday night but I could be wrong it all gets a bit vague after the sun goes down.
Anyway if we're going to meet up at Le Man then may I suggest 21:00 at the Heiniken bar on Saturnday. Hopefully the big screen will be back there this year so we can still watch the race.

B Fraser
22nd Mar 2005, 16:41
if we're going to meet up at Le Mans then may I suggest 21:00 at the Heineken bar on Saturday

Midday at the Champagne bar in the village behind the pits and up towards the Dunlop bridge is your best bet. The circuit gets a bit fuzzy in the evening.... hic. :\

down&out
24th Apr 2005, 08:29
We're thinking of going this year as well. A couple of quick questions around availability..

DubTrub, you say you can camp near the tower - Do you need to/ can you book this camping at the same time as booking the slots?

Do the general circuit entry tickets sell out? ie given our great weather, I don't want to invest in tickets if we can get there!

Cheers

D&O

DubTrub
24th Apr 2005, 20:43
D&O No you do not need to and cannot book the camping (to my knowledge) but there is not a problem with space. Most campers are drive-ins rather than fly-ins. Just pitch the tents, and if you get charged, hard cheese. If you are lucky, you get free camping! Not a wives/girls campsite, however...

The general circuit tickets do not get sold out in my experience, but then I have always arrived on the Friday, and bought them "on the door" (rather than advance purchase) ...my guess is that they need the revenue so never run out!

Hope this helps...PM me if needs be.

DT

Flyboy-F33
25th Apr 2005, 13:24
A few of us are going down from Blackbushe this year.
I think your chances of meeting up in any of the bars are about "nil" unless you know who you are looking for? Are you going to approach everyone in the bar asking "are you from pprune"? I think not...!
Look out for us at the airfield though...should be an Aerostar N70VB and a Bonanza N33BY....always happy to have a few beers with fellow aviators/petrolheads.

GG

gliderman69
26th Apr 2005, 16:59
Purchased maps the other day! Looking forward to this trip now, just hope the weather holds. will be staying on the Airfield I hope, if the camping is still allowed.

Have a fax from le Mans saying that the AIC will be out in May.

Plane I will be flying is G-Eric, Blue Rockwell commander from Cranfield we will be there from the Thursday till Monday.

B Fraser Still got your e mail to reply to haven't forgotten!

hope to see some people there!

EESDL
1st May 2005, 09:52
Pilot for a chap who decided to form a new race team using British GT cars!
Since coming first and second at Spa with his TVR400Rs, TEAM LNT are going from strength to strength. Le Mans organisers now regretting not permitting his team to race at LM. Rumour has it that there are, hopefully, changes afoot - I think that they are currently on the reserve list.
Suffice to say, they're battling it out at Magny Cours as I write and hope to report on another successful weekend.
The point of it all?
Trying to convince the Boss to take the helicopter down to LM but understand that it's a far more sensible option to travel by plank!
It went by Kin Dair last year and, due to unfortunate calander clash, I'll be flying punters into York/Ascot during the race week.
Then again, there's always the pre-qual in early June...............
Bon Voyage!
LNT Aviation

DubTrub
13th May 2005, 12:26
The 24-Heures AIP is out here (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/supaipmetro/SUP_2005_065_FR.pdf) (208kb pdf download)

Vedeneyev
6th Jun 2005, 13:15
I flew out last year and was there 24hrs exactly and had an awesome time. This year am going to do things more relaxed and fly out on the Thursday so I can catch the driver's parade in town and the pits on Friday etc. Anyway, since the AIC covers only Fri-Sun there are no circuit overflight restrictions on the Thursday. Likewise however there are no customs facilities on the Thursday. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to inform/arrange customs in France at a non-designated airfield with prior notice (as in UK)? I know I can clear at L2K or somesuch but I'd very much prefer to route to Le Mans direct.

Brooklands
6th Jun 2005, 16:55
Vedeneyev,

You may be able to arrange customs at Le Mans on the Thursday, you'll just have to find out what notice they need. Alternatively you could route via Deauville (or Le Harve), both of which have customs, and are on the more direct route, assuming you don't mind the long sea crossing, and aren't based in Kent.

Brooklands

B Fraser
7th Jun 2005, 19:50
See the Pprune Bash thread for Le Mans

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177693