PDA

View Full Version : US flying regulations

WelshRambler
21st Feb 2005, 08:26
Hi guys

I'm looking to do some hour building in California in the summer.

Do any of you know a good source (book/internet) to get a heads-up on the US airspace/RT regulations, especially if written from a UK pilot's perspective?

Many thanks

Mark:D

nouseforaname
21st Feb 2005, 09:16
I did a lot of flying around LA basin during last summer (04').

Wouldn't be able to recommend an books but if your good on the RT then you shouldn't have a problem the airspace is handled so much better than the UK. You just call up SOCAL or NORCAL control on the regional freq. They will give you a squawk and ask for flight following and they do the rest it's just handovers as you go along your route.

have agood time

QNH 1013
21st Feb 2005, 09:45
I was flying in Western USA earlier this year for the first time. I found a good book over there which is like an "idiot's guide" to USA RT. It is published by ASA and called "Say again, Please" with a sub title of "Guide to Radio Communication". Author is Bob Gardner and I think it cost me about $15. ISBN is 1-56027-428-X.

This book also covers the different classes of airspace. It must be possible to get the book over here. I think there are also some King School videotapes covering USA airspace and RT and these should be available in the UK too.

I learnt a lot by asking lots of questions of my instructor during the BFR which you will have to do before you can use your US airman's certificate anyway, (assuming you get it on the basis of another ICAO licence).

2Donkeys
21st Feb 2005, 09:57
If you intend to fly in the US, you are going to be subjected to a BFR at some point soon. It would be a smart move to buy yourself a copy of the FAR/AIM (this covers all the rules - stocked at places like Transair) and a copy of ASA's guide to the Bienniel Flight Review.

2D

Genghis the Engineer
21st Feb 2005, 09:58
I'd buy the FAR AIM and then an hour or two groundschool to brief you on local procedures with a local FI when you get there. As others have said, if you've got good RT, you won't struggle much.

Alternatively (or as well), buy the Western States airfield guide sold by Pooleys, it's got a good guide to all the local rules and regs in there. Also get hold of a local sectional chart; the airspace classification is a bit different, and it'll help get your head around it. (Even an out of date chart will help here, just remember to buy a new one when you get there!).

G

david viewing
21st Feb 2005, 10:07
There's a little book called "VFR radio proceedures in the USA" that is available from UK pilot shops for about £8.50. I recommend it because it's small enough to carry with you and gives worked examples in conversational style.

tmmorris
21st Feb 2005, 10:36
Agree with Genghis, what I did was buy FAR/AIM so I could read up in advance, then at the initial BFR I asked the instructor specifically to focus on airspace types, US sectional charts and RT procedures; he was happy to take the basics as read as I had a current JAR license.

Tim

bookworm
21st Feb 2005, 16:56
The FARs (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet) (of which parts 61 and 91 are of most interest) and the AIM (http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/) are available online if you prefer.

WelshRambler
22nd Feb 2005, 08:16
Thanks for the info guys.

Very much appreciated!:D

Cheers, Mark.