PDA

View Full Version : 6000 Hrs, I need a YOB....Please

Skullduggery
18th Jan 2005, 09:03
Canadian ATPL 6000 TT including 3500 multi turbine PIC but I do not have a type rating which seems to be prohibiting me from finding work.

I would be very grateful if any one has any leads or suggestions as I am becoming very discouraged with this whole industry.
Relocation to another country is not a problem.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Canadian Beech
18th Jan 2005, 13:30
I would suggest Westjet, Air Transat, Kenn Borek, North Cariboo Air, CMA, Sunwest Home Aviation, Kinghthawk, Conair etc... None of these places require a type rating.
Also look here
http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/JobResearchListRegions.asp?CountryID=1
Good luck.:ok:

Rosbif
18th Jan 2005, 13:52
If you get a JAR licence, the world opens up. Otherwise - Skyservice might be an option, Transat definitely not (Furloughs). Knighthawk were hiring. Good operation give it a try.

Skullduggery
18th Jan 2005, 14:49
I have sent my CV to most of the above with little response.

No internal reference at West Jet, although I understand they have suspended hiring for the time being. Transat, Skyservice are on furlough. Not willing to come up with $30,000 for Jetsgo.

I would have thought with that amount of time and the recognition of an ICAO license worldwide, having to get a JAR conversion would not be necessary.

Any thoughts?

Rosbif
18th Jan 2005, 17:02
ICAO licence is really handy if you have 500PIC in something. This opens up Asia. But they have their own "right seat warming devices" already, so no PIC on type=no job. (Generally)

Europe has, on average, MUCH lower experience levels for a given position, so with 6000TT you will stand out from the crowd. You will need a Euro passport to get the best benefit from a JAR licence though. Also most Euro jet positions are "buy a job" plans.

If you have extra language skills, they can give you an edge. There are some turboprop jobs that can be found if you can target the right type / language combination. (e.g. Spanish King Air 200 might mean Venezuela etc.) Just be careful who you work for! Ask Panama Jack if Spanish is your thing.

There are also some Navajoke / Turbolet operators in the DR. Turks and Caicos have B1900 (if you are current) at Skyking, and if you are happy to fly pistons, Interisland (or whatever they are called now) have some 402's etc. They like Canadians.

If you fancy getting shot at, go to Falconair in Bahrain. (Go to Iraq)

If you spend a lot of time in church, you could try the various relief/missionary types.

Just some ideas,
Cheers,
Rosbif

Obbie
20th Jan 2005, 02:53
FlightExec in Toronto needs direct entry Captains on their
Cheyenne's, You could end up on the Falcons in six months
as they are short experienced drivers

Rob Burrell is the chief pilot, tell him your goal is to get on the
jets but are willing to put in some time on the turbo-props
first.

Skullduggery
20th Jan 2005, 18:53
I want to thank you for your suggestions.

I will follow up on them.:ok:

Safety Guy
20th Jan 2005, 21:42
I hear that Skyservice is hiring for initial B757 F/O courses. They sure don't have anyone laid off!

the_bug
17th Feb 2005, 19:54
For the benefit of Skullduggery and myself, what is the best way to get noticed by Skyservice short of being a brother of the head of training? Who to apply to and how thay want the correspondance?
Thanks