PDA

View Full Version : A question for Airline pilots

GRANTS
17th Dec 2004, 10:42
Hello guys,

Have you pilots have ever requested for further medical testing, other than the Class 1?
maybe by employers or insurance companies?

I am asking because I have gained a Class 1 but I am on a condition wich is a bit controversial among some doctors.

I haven't started my training,
do I have anything to worry about?

thanks a lot,

Grants

Hand Solo
17th Dec 2004, 11:33
BA required me to take a further medical before employing me. I believe the idea was that a Class 1 showed that you were fit to fly right then but did not necesarily show lurking conditions that might make you unfit to fly a few years later. They like to know these things before investing lots of time and money in you.

Eff Oh
17th Dec 2004, 11:58
When I joined JMC we went through an additional medical, but it was very similar to the Class1.

svizzeronapoletano
17th Dec 2004, 13:27
In Italy, ALITALIA requests a medical ck within the company before apply, but it is an excuse to burn "unconvenient" candidates. Italian Civil aviation medical requirements are probably the most restrictive in the world and happened that Alitalia burned some pilots with apparent no problem after ( ! ) completing the self-paid professional course with Skymaster. Note: Alitalia pretend the visit after the completition of the course, not before it!

GRANTS
17th Dec 2004, 14:05
My problem is in the eye function field.
how far did they go?
did you guys have to see an optometrist?

Grants

Hand Solo
17th Dec 2004, 15:08
In my case the BA medical was less thorough than the CAA as the CAA were issuing an intital type 1 medical. The BA eye test was just a standard eye chart.

GRANTS
17th Dec 2004, 18:04
Thanks a lot!, good to know...

Spearing Britney
17th Dec 2004, 18:50
BA don't now do a medical themselves unless over 40 I believe. The other 3 airlines I have experience of don't have separate medicals (except if sponsoring cadets). Got the cert, all good.

Miserlou
17th Dec 2004, 22:07
I was sent for further tests (kidney scan) on the initial issue of class 1 as a precaution for my future health. They said it was in the interests of my future health not the grant of the medical.

My loss of licence insurance required extra examinations too. The CAA medical examiner was not polite about the insurer and considered it a waste of time but all fell into place on the completion of the tests.