PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Vacancy

tonup
6th Dec 2004, 14:22
HIAL are advertising in this weeks Flight for an Aerodrome and Approach (non-radar) ATCO for Kirkwall.

Good salary and a great part of the country to live.

[email protected]

Should also be on their website

www.hial.co.uk

360BakTrak
9th Dec 2004, 21:11
Rumour has it that busy GA airfield somewhere in the southwest are recruiting early in the new year..................cheese-rolling anyone?!:)

Chilli Monster
9th Dec 2004, 21:42
You on the move again? ;)

niknak
9th Dec 2004, 23:38
From what I can gather, 2005 will be a good year for ATCOs who hold all the ratings.
There are/will be vacancies springing up all over the UK with more posts available than ATCOs willing to move, and employers finally realising that no one is going to move to get a £3K pay rise and put £20K on the mortgage.
Even the desperate or those about to retire can still get a good deal out of HIA. ;)

This can only be good news in upping the ante when the pay round talks start.

Let battle commence. :E

360BakTrak
10th Dec 2004, 07:48
Me on the move again?! Noooooo, I got a life sentence this time round!:E

360BakTrak
13th Dec 2004, 12:19
Here it is.....

http://www.gloucestershireairport.co.uk/vacancy.html

niknak
13th Dec 2004, 19:09
"Salary circa £38K" ??? For a validated ATCO with all 3 ratings to move to such an expensive part of the world???:eek:

Our management used to think that just because, like Gloucestershire, the area offered such a high standard of living and quality of life, we didn't have to offer top rates to attract experienced atcos.
They've undergone a serious attitude readjustment in the last few years.

Either you're taking the piss or your management seriously underestimate the shortage of experienced quality atcos who are willing to up sticks and go elsewhere.

Don't expect to be trampled in the rush. :p

360BakTrak
13th Dec 2004, 20:36
You at Bristol by any chance?!;)

RPMcMurphy
14th Dec 2004, 11:52
Hi Niknak
I reckon the £38k was set by the gloucester beancounters, so go easy on the poor fella.... I'm sure once the suits checkout the underwhelming response the figures will change:ok:

Chilli Monster
14th Dec 2004, 19:26
Ummm.............

38K for looking out the window, doing procedural approach and maybe the odd SRA - one aircraft on radar at a time

OR

38K for working LARS, risking my licence in class 'G', with an increasing IFR training load, lots of external co-ordination, various large commercial inbounds and an airfield management who won't invest in updated equipment and only sees ATC as a drain on his budget.

It's almost tempting :{

niknak
14th Dec 2004, 19:36
Not a personal attack on 360 by any means, it's probably as frustrating for him that his bean counters (or MD) have their heads in the deep sands of denial.

I am sure he's done his best to persuade them, and shown them the salary scales of other UK airports who have less movements, but pay more than that for ADC/APC.

(No, I'm not at Bristol...... ;) ).

360BakTrak
14th Dec 2004, 22:36
Mr Monster, Looking out the window? Not quite as easy as your place with what......60 runway movements on a BUSY day? Theres a bit more to it than the odd SRA. Perhaps you need a liasion visit as you clearly haven't got a clue!:}
And one aircraft on radar at a time?! What are you on about! Filton isnt the centre of the universe, our management may or may not have their heads in the sands of denial but yours is certainly up your own ar$e!:)
And as for risking your licence....perhaps you had better consider an alternative career!:}
(Rant over....):ok:

Chilli Monster
14th Dec 2004, 22:42
Trust you to read completely opposite in the post to what was meant!

So why is it whenever I've got more than one inbound to you wanting a radar vectored approach one of them has to go into the hold?

Don't be a w:mad:r with posts like that young man ;) (And if you're not careful you'll get your inbounds same time - same level :) )

360BakTrak
15th Dec 2004, 06:13
.....because 90% of the traffic (CSE) coming from your way WANTS to go in the hold, as it is on their training syllabus, thats why they are coming to us. Re-read your post......what other way can that be taken to mean?! Gloucester gaze out the window doing nowt and you lot have the whole world against you!:} Sometimes radar can be a slight problem with only 3 radar controllers as they cannot work every day without taking breaks. Still, I'm sure your CV would be gratefully received.............:confused:

Standard Noise
15th Dec 2004, 09:13
Gentlemen - Let he who is without sin........;)

Razors Edge
15th Dec 2004, 13:17
Watch it 360, he might be tempted. Although the previous condecending posting indicates a level of big-headedness that no doubt your fine management would see right through:*

Having said all that £38k is nowhere going to be enoughfor you to attract anyone of any calibre:sad:

Razors Edge
17th Dec 2004, 14:34
In response to your Pm Chilli....what's condescending?.....let's read the post again...38K for looking out the window, doing procedural approach and maybe the odd SRA - one aircraft on radar at a time.....belittling the professionalism of an ATC colleague:*

38K for working LARS, risking my licence in class 'G', with an increasing IFR training load, lots of external co-ordination, various large commercial inbounds......comparison is condecending ie I work harder than you do. You don't risk your licence every day whilst I do.

You claimed to "know what Gloucester do " and "handle and even sequence their inbounds for them on a lot of occasions":rolleyes: How kind of you to find the time amongst your 'busy':{ schedule to help out those unfortunate souls up the road.

Gloucester are a very busy and highly proficiant unit. Whoever applies for the job will need to be top drawer.

Chilli Monster
17th Dec 2004, 15:09
RE

1) Very bad form to bring Personal messages into public domain - shame on you

2) I'll re-iterate, as English is something you obviously have a problem with. Rather than belittling the unit I was actually comparing it favourably with somewhere else.

I'll say it again:

It's obviously not just the Yanks that have problems with IRONY!

360BakTrak
17th Dec 2004, 15:38
Razors Edge.....I couldnt have put it better myself:ok:
Comparing it 'favourably with somewhere else'? That appears to be something only YOU can interpret from your original post!;)

RPMcMurphy
17th Dec 2004, 16:15
er.......so who has applied for the Kirkwall job then?;)

360BakTrak
17th Dec 2004, 16:31
Ooooh.....too cold up there for me! Brrrrrrrr:} :E

niknak
17th Dec 2004, 20:30
I know a very pretty sheep up there who tells me......:p

ILS 119.5
18th Dec 2004, 14:46
Not very nice to bring PM's into the forum. That is why they are private messages. Can the moderator do something about this. If not what is the point of PM's?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Dec 2004, 15:53
<<Gloucester are a very busy and highly proficient unit. Whoever applies for the job will need to be top drawer.>>

Oh well.. that let's me out then. Back to me rubber ring and Horlicks..

Razors Edge
18th Dec 2004, 17:07
No PM was 'brought into the public domain', I merely responded to one and referred to it.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who felt that Chilli Muppet had been less than complementary to the Gloucester ATC crew.

irony is meant to be the humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean. There's no humour in what was posted, only an inflated self-importance and that's the last I'm going to say on it.:*

Chilli Monster
18th Dec 2004, 20:21
Thankfully (and hopefully) all the people at Gloucester that I do know, from the boss there onwards, know that I actually hold them all in the highest esteem (yes - even 360, though that's been stretched thanks to this little spat) and I hope we continue to have the good working relationship that we do at the moment.

It's a unit that, believe it or not, I would love to work at as the busy scenario coupled with the skills required to handle it subscribes to the 'fun' element of this job that is in danger of disappearing at some places. Depending on how things go that CV may still find its way there some day. I know I'd enjoy it for both the job and the people (a grand bunch). Not all of us are in this for the money - there's more to life than that.

Sorry you misunderstood what I was getting at Mr Razor, I shall obviously have to explain myself better in future so as to make things more understandable for the 'literary challenged' amongst us. For anyone else who still thinks I was 'having a go' then you're welcome to your thoughts. I know I was being genuine and complimentary - that's good enough for me.

Adieu

2 sheds
18th Dec 2004, 20:56
Should it not be "literarily challenged", viz an adverb qualifying how one is challenged?!

360BakTrak
19th Dec 2004, 13:31
Now thats just being picky!:E Well I guess thats the problem with reading posts.....you don't know what 'tone' they are meant in. By that I am referring to your original post Chilli. Anyway, glad thats all sorted out..........sort of:} :confused:

matspart3
19th Dec 2004, 15:59
Aside form the 'handbags', the concensus of this thread seems to be that £38K is not enough to attract fully rated ATCOs....we shall see.:O

The latest rounds of ads has shown:-

Liverpool ADC only £35K
Kirkwall ADC/APP £41K
Liverpool/Finningley ADC/APP/RAD £48K

Anybody else care to throw their salaries into the public domain?

niknak
19th Dec 2004, 22:43
MatsPt3

I believe I am correct in saying that the last time Liverpool advertised, the response was - nil.
This time around theyve restructured the ad' cos there was no way they'd have filled the posts with the expectations Peel had.
As far as I know, they still haven't got enought ADC/APC only atco's for Finningly, despite the pay rise to above £38K.
HIA haven't exactly been stampeded in the rush either.

We used to get around 5 applications a month from experienced people looking for jobs, we haven't had a single unsolicited application for at least 8 months now.

If it were just ADC and APC, and if you offered a salary of £40K, you might just get someone with the requisite experience and quality who is willing to up sticks and move.
But it appears that you're looking for people with all three ratings, and even if your ancillary benefits were exceptional, very few, if any experienced atco's would give up what they have, for such a pitiful advertised salary.

(Just out interest, do you train your own atco's from ab - initio?).

edinv
20th Dec 2004, 22:17
- The EGPA job with SDA gives a figure of £46,567. - Sat , Sun & PH premium payments should also added to this figure, this will give total 'expected' pay of circa £51K per annum.

Banana Split
4th Jan 2005, 11:09
Any applicants at Gloucester?

Binoculars
4th Jan 2005, 11:49
Wow! Is this sort of backstabbing common in ATC in the UK? Charming!

Jerricho
4th Jan 2005, 12:43
Binos, you don't know the half of it.:rolleyes:

Razors Edge
4th Jan 2005, 15:29
When you have as many ATC providers as we do in the UK, there is undoubtably always going to be some who think they are better than others...:rolleyes: