PDA

View Full Version : SIC on a light citation, help!!

fhwannabee
2nd Dec 2004, 04:36
Sorry if this has been asked before, i couldnt find it.

If one were to fly in the US as SIC on a cessna citation that is required by the certificate holders to be flown as a 2 crew aircraft, but the type can be flown single pilot, are the hours of any use for a JAA license? Would a type rating make a difference?

I may have an opportunity to fly for a year on a light citation. I know that sometimes these are flown as single pilot in Europe and I dont want to come back and find that my hours are worthless or not recognised.

thanks for any help

Atlanta-Driver
2nd Dec 2004, 04:47
You can use the hours towards your total time and if the aircraft is in this list as a MPA (Multi Pilot Airplane) www.jaa.nl/licensing/classtyperatings.html you can also count hours towards your JAA ATPL. However you will not be able to obtain a validation without having the relevant type on your FAA license.

Your hours will sure be recognised and no organisation can take away your experience. However try to fly atleast a minimum of 500h in type.

AD

bushpilot
2nd Dec 2004, 05:07
to log SIC in the citation, u'd have to hold appropriate category and class rating on your FAA CPL/instrument licence. This would be the same as P2 in CAA countries. To log it as P1/US as per CAA rules, u'd have to be type rated in the citation and "agree" with the PIC to countersign ur lb. If u r typrated in the citation, u have the luxury of accumulating PIC jet time, otherwise it will all be SIC time. I remember that from my pt 135 class.:E

RoyHudd
2nd Dec 2004, 05:51
Type-Ratings can be gained for a reasonable outlay in USA. (Reasonable compared to European prices). And 100 hours would then help, 500 may not be achievable in 1 year's GA flying. Good luck.

fhwannabee
2nd Dec 2004, 13:23
Thanks for all the replys.

In summary, the hours will count for my logbook, and for my ATPL. However for the ATPL validation I would need the type rating on my FAA license. Also with the type I could log PIC. However for FAA rules I dont need the type, just the SIC checkride.

Did I miss anything here? Is there a minimum amount of hours I need before I could log PIC? Or just whenever the captain tells me it is my turn?

Thanks everyone

Squawk7777
2nd Dec 2004, 14:14
The main factor regarding SIC lies with the certification of the Citation. There are a bunch of Citations out there, and some may look identical, but beware! A CE-500 is not a CE-501! Some Citations are certified under CFR 25 (transport category) and others under CFR 23 (GA). I really don't know who accepts SIC in a CFR 23 Citation or not. I went to a regional-airline interview earlier this year and they questioned me about some SIC CE-501 135 time like I was some kind of retard.

Also: The FAA allows you to fly a multi-pilot Citation (CFR 25) single-pilot with a letter of authorization.

I was told by Flight Safety that you cannot log SIC in a CJ (CitationJet). This is a completely different type rating than the regular Citations and your type rating here in the US says CE-525S (s for single pilot only).

Please bear in mind that all this refers to the FAA regs. I am out of the loop with the JAA regs.

Hope this helps.

7 7 7 7

BLE
2nd Dec 2004, 14:17
Go fly the Citation, if you can have them typerate you, the better.

Disregard captain M, he is obviously clueless when it comes to FAA regulations.

On a US registered aircraft, regardless of 1 or 2 pilot crew, you can log PIC any time you are the sole manipulator of the controls. You do not need a type rating as SIC, SIC typeratings do not exist acc to the US regs. The FAA is looking into changing it, to come in line with JAA nations, which require a typerating for both pilots if aircraft is certified for two pilots.

But be careful of birdstrikes in the Slowtation, they tend to fly up the tailpipe:ok:

bushpilot
2nd Dec 2004, 17:36
Yep, just to second BLE. If u r category + class rated=Airplane + multi (with instrument on ur CPL), u can log SIC in airplanes that have more than 10 seats as per 135 regs and/or require SIC operations; US registration. Now, if u get the typerating, u can log PIC time. It may or may not be legal, but the regs have loop holes allowing u to log it. I flew in Tanzania, and the CAA sown there requires u to have a type rating for even a C-172-every airplane u fly in. I mean, take a freaking test for every craper that u can fly. I've flown over 15 kinds of ACs so u'd understand why I think That's the dumbest **** I've come across. Over here, u just need a check out, unless the AC requires u to be typerated to act as PIC. Why don't most countries keep it as simple as the US does? :mad: