PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle Aero Club

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

sean377
15th Feb 2005, 17:32
I had a flight test cancelled today. The reason? I was told the administrators were coming over (to the aeroclub) to "go through the accounts!". A bit late in the day to be going through the accounts in my opinion, but believe what you will.

clearfinalsno1
16th Feb 2005, 13:43
KL was busy working up here (Eshott) today with "Parky airways" ie he was doing check rides etc in the Cherokee 6 (G-BHGO) and G-NHRH.

Anyone know what the other former staff and committee are up to these days?

captainben
16th Feb 2005, 14:44
After having my lesson at Northumbria Helicopters, I found out that Andreas Bakolis has got a job with an airline as a 737 type rated pilot.

mike halls
16th Feb 2005, 15:25
good news,

well its good to see andreas get the job he
has work so hard to get it.

is he buying the beers?????

mike

Happyeater
16th Feb 2005, 21:11
Well done Andreas, you deserved it. Bet those trolley dolly's are in trouble now, eh? ;)

nacker barslob
17th Feb 2005, 11:58
Unfortunately, the "airline" is Globe Spam, operated by one Capt Joe F. so by the time Andreas has paid for his rating, JF will probably be able to buy another 737!!

Thats the same JF that charged the club several grand for copying a twin training manual, and despite being on the committee was paid about £300/month as the ground training Capt for twin operations. How many were trained?? maybe 2 or 3

clearfinalsno1
17th Feb 2005, 12:36
nacker barslob, if true that is disgraceful. Who agreed to this salary payment? Do you mean we paid thousands for a single photocopied book? Is this stuff not available free from the CAA?

Who is this man anyway, what qualifications does he have to be a ground training captain - whatever that is? Was JC ever paid extra for his night school training?

TOPJET973K
17th Feb 2005, 13:26
Gang.

After posting my prevoius intentions I feel I must respond to Barslob/Clearfinals as I, at the time felt very strongly about this subject.

Captain Joe Forster, Chief Pilot of the now defunct Gill Airways, Director of Flight Operations of the now defunct Cougar Airways and now Director of Flight Operations at Globespan did, while serving on the committee write the twin training manual for the club, he took payment of approx £2000+ for writing this manual which was obviously auithorised by the committee at the time - I believe KL, AC & Joe himself, while I believe there was/is a nominal charge from the CAA, no other costs should have been incurred from this. I must add this was long before my stint. I genuinely don't know if these type of manuals/training documents are/were available from the CAA.

Les Bates, our fine ex RAF Pilot and club instructor rewrote the manual in his own time about 2 years ago and "charged" not a penny for doing something that Joe paid himself money to do.

I think the "gravy train" was in full steam a few years ago where people were taking payment for anything and everything.

And JC, did the CFI job for years on a 1/4 of the salary our most recent CFI was earning - diabolical. JC would do extra flights etc because he loved the club AND the students and never ever asked for extra payments for things such as overtime etc, things that others wrote overtime requests for at the start of each month, and I'm not talking about Andreas, Ian, Les, Ovey, Malcolm et al.

GonTek
17th Feb 2005, 16:30
It's a simlpe fact one and all, The true club members have been royally shafted by devious greedy people.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

AB is in the process of doing his type rating,He starts next week if I remember rightly.

Regards all

Charlie32
17th Feb 2005, 17:03
And hot off the press

A strong rumour that MB has indeed purchased club and A/C. Intention to move all club A/C back into hangar within next day or so. Lease 2 to NC, who will run limited flight training. remainder of A/C to be sold.

Anyone know his intentions for bar club house yet?

md902man
17th Feb 2005, 17:06
I too have just received information(heard the rumour anyway) that Neil Clark will be running the old NAC a/c from either today or tomorrow.
All those wishing to fly fixed wing now could contact him direct which I believe is through Northumbria Helicopters, also based at EGNT.

sean377
17th Feb 2005, 17:45
Beaten to it!

I took a call from JC today. He also confirmed Northumbrian Helo's have acquired the use of 2 ex-NAC planes and is offering training from next week. Not sure about the extent of training though.

NC also suggested to me a couple of weeks ago he hoped to have self-hire available soon. Guess this is what he had planned.

nacker barslob
17th Feb 2005, 17:47
But what about the bar????

Mu Beta
17th Feb 2005, 18:10
Sounds like Martin Ballinger's got the bar doesn't it> ;)

back to the future
17th Feb 2005, 19:26
Anyone know which aircraft NC has, and how much he will charge per hour?

Anyone know if this is, FACT or FICTION, this is after all a take the p*** fourum.

GonTek
17th Feb 2005, 20:08
Hi folks

I have some time booked with NC 2 moro and will advise cost,
when I spoke to book he said it would be a little cheaper than NAC,time will tell.

Reagrds All

captainben
17th Feb 2005, 20:51
GonTek: It is correct they are cheaper, it costed me £98 for an hour on Wednesday at Northumbria Helicopters.

backtothefuture: This is true, I was talking to Northumbria Helicopters on Wednesday and were saying that everything was just waiting to be signed and that. He also said by the sounds of it, that they would infact move into the Aero Club for fixed wing and keep NH open for the helicopters.

back to the future
17th Feb 2005, 21:06
captainben and GonTek

Thanks for that it sounds promising.
Hope it is real this time.

Can`t wait to spend a fortune getting current again,
my cheque book is screaming at the thought of it.

Mu Beta

Have you had any feedback from your earlier post about exmembers getting together to have a drink or CUP of TEA and a good chin wag about Flying?

clearfinalsno1
18th Feb 2005, 10:16
The following article appears in today's Newcastle Journal. Sounds quite postive, although Northumbria Helicopter's involvement is not explicitly mentioned.

Aero club mayday brings millionaire Feb 18 2005
By Paul James, The Journal

A North flying school that plunged into administration last year with estimated debts of £200,000 has been rescued by one of the region's top businessmen.

Samson Aviation, owned by Morpeth millionaire Martin Ballinger, last night announced it had bought the assets of Newcastle Aero Club, the oldest flying school in the country.

The company has paid an undisclosed sum to buy six of the club's seven planes and the equipment in its flying school, restaurant and bar. Rumours of the takeover have been circulating among the 400-plus flying-club members for months, but until last night the future of the club's training remained uncertain.

Airport bosses, who had impounded the club's planes last November over unpaid landing fees, said they hoped to see it develop into a major centre for aviation training.

Samson has given some of the previous club employees their jobs back and also intends to revamp the 1930s terminal building as a social club for all airport employees.

Mr Ballinger, an accountant, set up the Samson Jet Centre 10 years ago at Newcastle on the back of an award-winning career in public transport.

He turned Go-Ahead from a small bus company in Gateshead into a flourishing and listed plc, valued by the market at more than £650m.

He confirmed last night that Samson had completed the deal.

The company is planning to rent out the aircraft and flying school to keep aviation training at Newcastle.

The club's oldest member, Ken Doyle, of Davenport Drive, Gosforth, last night said: "It is absolutely marvellous news and will raise spirits no end.

"We had known he had bought the assets but we were uncertain of what would happen to the flying side of the club.

"One of the big plus points is that he's a man who has been running a successful business there already for some time."

Graeme Mason, the airport's planning, development and facilities manager, said: "Newcastle International is delighted with the outcome of the Aeroclub Administration Order.

"It has enabled the future of flight training at Newcastle to be put on a sound financial footing.

"We see that facility, together with the existing Newcastle Aviation Academy, becoming an important centre for aviation staff training in the North of England. And of course we all look forward to the airport staff membership of the old terminal restaurant and bar."

Club administrator Mike Pott, partner of Newcastle accountants RMT, said "We are absolutely delighted that the administration has allowed a flying training facility to remain at Newcastle."

The club was launched on November 25, 1925, and has trained dozens of pilots who have gone on to fly professionally, including former England rugby player and RAF officer Tony Underwood.

As financial problems mounted last year, Newcastle General Hospital neurosurgeon and club member Nick Todd looked into offering it a financial lifeline, but said the sums did not add up.

Then after the administration order, Australian tycoon Elia Golfin correct planned to take on the club to expand his US flight-training firm.

But the 31-year-old former commercial pilot withdrew, saying he had been offered only a three-year lease rather the 10 he had hoped for.

Charlie32
18th Feb 2005, 10:32
Well on the face of it this all sounds like a great outcome!

Lets just hope that half of it is true, and we might even be back flying and having the odd pint (or 10 Bigstu)

GonTek
18th Feb 2005, 11:02
Morning All

Had check ride this morning and can only say goods things, I will say everything said was positive.

Cost was not to bad either !!!!!!! (landing fine included )

Looks like some CB's do have a silver lining.

Here's hoping...

CentreFix25
18th Feb 2005, 13:27
Taken from Newcastleairport.com:

Samson Aviation acquire Newcastle Aeroclub
18 February 2005

Samson Aviation Services Limited has acquired of the assets of The Newcastle upon Tyne Aeroclub Limited in Administration.

Samson has paid an undisclosed sum to acquire six of the seven aircraft previously operated by the Aeroclub; as well as the equipment and associated furniture in the flying school, restaurant and bar. Samson will also be signing a lease with Newcastle International Airport Limited for occupation of the associated premises.

Samson intends renting out the aircraft and flying school facilities to existing flying training providers at Newcastle International to ensure that, as far as commercially possible, the training services previously operated by the Aeroclub are reinstated. The existing providers have re-employed some of the previous Aeroclub employees.

Samson further intends to refurbish the 1930’s heritage terminal building previously occupied by the Aeroclub, reopening the bar and restaurant facilities and making them available, not only to all previous Aeroclub members, but also to all current airport security pass holders and their families. It is expected that a small annual membership fee will be levied in due course.

Graeme Mason, Planning, Development and Facilities Manager of NIAL said today: “Newcastle International is delighted with the outcome of the Aeroclub Administration Order. It has enabled the future of flight training at Newcastle to be put on a sound financial footing.”

“We see that facility, together with the existing Newcastle Aviation Academy, becoming an important centre for aviation staff training in the North of England. And of course we all look forward to the airport staff membership of the old terminal restaurant and bar”.

Mike Pott, Partner of accountancy firm rmt, Administrators of the Aeroclub since the middle of November 2004, said “We are absolutely delighted that the administration has allowed a flying training facility to remain at Newcastle. The Administrators worked closely with NIAL to achieve this. We are pleased that our professional services, and those of our colleagues at Dickinson Dees Law Firm have helped to achieve this outcome.”

Maude Charlee
18th Feb 2005, 13:46
Sounds like very promising news indeed.

For what it's worth, I happen to like the idea of the Aero Club bar being open to airport employees (though I'm not sure that they'll be flocking through the doors if a membership fee is required). After all, any money in the coffers is a good thing if it helps to secure the future of the flying side of the business. Those who want to see it as a glorified private members club should take up golf instead - it's that kind of Little Britain mentality that sunk it in the first place.

Just hope all the intentions with this buyout are honourable.

NT42
18th Feb 2005, 14:17
It sounds like they're going to try and create a real aero club feeling, where anyone connected to aviation can go and chat. Obviously this is great news - can't wait for it to actually happen, assuming the plans go through.

Thats made me very happy today - brilliant!

Hopefully see you's there, and get flying in the not too distant future!!

Mu Beta
18th Feb 2005, 17:12
Mu Beta

Have you had any feedback from your earlier post about exmembers getting together to have a drink or CUP of TEA and a good chin wag about Flying?

The answer is no...but I guess all it takes is for someone to suggest a time and place.

sean377
18th Feb 2005, 18:17
The answer is no...but I guess all it takes is for someone to suggest a time and place.

Place = Aeroclub

Time = As soon as it's open!

Don't forget your name tags!!!

clearfinalsno1
18th Feb 2005, 18:40
The existing providers have re-employed some of the previous Aeroclub employees

Do we know who has/will get their jobs back yet and with whom?

I might be missing something, but isn't this final outcome (ie Martin Ballinger buys the whole club) essentially the same as that which Alan Coulson proposed to the membership at the November AGM? Could we not have saved ourselves all this heartache and most of the staff a couple of months dole if we had just voted "yes" then? What does AC think about this?

GonTek
18th Feb 2005, 18:46
There will be a phoenix from the ashes.

MB : you are voted foreperson of the "former members get together meeting "

As posted earlier I was at N/Heli this morning and got good feelings from them if all comes to fruition.

Lets all hope it works.

Regards all

captainben
18th Feb 2005, 19:04
MB is leasing the club house and aircraft out to Northumbria Helicopters.

BahrainLad
18th Feb 2005, 19:07
This is good news, congratulations.

Hopefully it'll also put some of the more ridiculous assertions that NIAL are anti-GA to rest.

Enjoy your flying.

sean377
18th Feb 2005, 19:30
Hopefully it'll also put some of the more ridiculous assertions that NIAL are anti-GA to rest.

Well I wouldn't go that far, nor buy what NIAL officials have said regarding this deal, but it's welcome news all the same.

Happyeater
18th Feb 2005, 20:14
Dunno why but I can't get too carried away by all of this, just yet.
If the Club re-starts in some form or another but, it all seems a little uncertain at the moment.

Perhaps its after all those past hopes were dashed etc I don't want to get all excited.

Got everything crossed for it though.

Mu Beta
18th Feb 2005, 20:15
MB : you are voted foreperson of the "former members get together meeting "

And what does being the foreperson entail?

I'm pleased that Northumbria Helicopters is taking over the flying training.
Does anyone know who Neil's instructors are likely to be?

captainben
18th Feb 2005, 20:42
He did mention possibly Ian Martin and John Corlett as well as Kev from Northumbria Helicopters. I don't think there's anyone else he mentioned.:confused:

back to the future
18th Feb 2005, 23:23
Ian Martin and John Corlett as well as Kev

Two out of three ain`t bad.

Your guess people! Which is the odd one out.

Mu Beta and ALL Pruners how about Millers 8pm 27th Feb for a chat and drinks, even something to eat?

Lets not hope for a bar in the club in the near future, or ever.

Hold Foxtrot (again)
19th Feb 2005, 08:07
It would seem to be moving forward as the sitting tenants were removed from the club hangar yesterday and rumour has it that the locks have been changed.

they were parked on the apron and the Kestevan and co aircraft was put back in the Bellman. !

The meeting at the Millers is a great idea, Iwill be there definately

Regards All

sean377
19th Feb 2005, 09:03
Talk about "after the horse has bolted!".

My suggestion to meet at Millers, way back on page 25 (2nd Jan) fell on deaf ears!

So most people here are happy to vent their anger and slag everyone off (including the new owner, who now appears to be a popular chap), but are happy to sit back and let others do the hard work.

I'm being to change my mind about Hope2 now, but there again, the horse has already bolted so it's too late. We'll have to bring some print-outs of his posts to the pub though, see if we can decipher them! :confused:

The 27th Feb looks good for me. :ok:

Sean

Hold Foxtrot (again)
19th Feb 2005, 11:55
Looks like it is just you and me shaun !

MB is getting slagged off because it would appear to have been a one horse race. If Neil Clark is to run the flying side from the old hanger all well and good, the whole thing maybe a token gesture but at least we have, Flight training/Bar/Resturant as stated in previous post "open to pass holder airport staff and former aero club members " . remember they do not have to give us anything
MB payed up for the club and can do with it as he pleases within the confines of lease etc and I'm led to believe he could have got out of providing FT.

All of the people are not happy all of the time.

At least we have/will have something.

Be there on the 27th !!!!!!!

Paris Dakar
19th Feb 2005, 13:03
Count me in chappies I'll be there on the 27th! Who else is coming then?

PD

h999
19th Feb 2005, 14:11
Hi all

Good news that all seems to be resolved but having read page13 of the Journal :

Mr Ballinger, said the acquisition could help strengthen the business, further opening the North to the rich and famous.

"In the past we have had to share a taxiway with the aero club," he said.

"This has always been a difficult relationship but now we will be able to rationalise a lot of their movements.

"The more we can rationalise this side of the airport, the swifter our operation will be, and the better the service."

Mr Ballinger,61, said:"It will enable us to give our clients maximum confidentiality and security from the one site, without disrupting the north side of the air-strip."

I have some doubts.

h

nacker barslob
19th Feb 2005, 15:07
Rationalise an interesting word derived frome "to ration"

So maybe the new broom is not so clean then. Keep the common aero club types away from the great and good like our illustrious regional footballers and their hangers on, our great politicians and royalty, with a few nuveau riche (like MB) . If there's any spare space let the occasional training flight get off when there's nobody important around to get offended, thats if we can be bothered to refuel them. I could be wrong here but wasn't it NC who instigated the club's bowser purchase in the dim and distant to overcome the tardy service from Samson??

Latest on the new instructor line up JC/Kev/IC/IM/LB/MB and wait for it.... the new CFI....KL!! presumably doing one trip each per week.

NT42
19th Feb 2005, 15:29
I must say, I wasn't too happy about the article. After making it seem like the flight training was the priority this was rather disapointing. Why should celebrities have priority over student pilots.

The instructor line up seems good though!

Lets hope the aero club is a club - not a parking area for celebs.

sean377
19th Feb 2005, 16:00
"In the past we have had to share a taxiway with the aero club,"

Is Foxtrot that congested??? Me thinks holding at Foxtrot for the continuous stream of Easyjets is the main problem. The soft :mad: shouldn't need such a long backtrack, should they? :hmm:

Mu Beta
19th Feb 2005, 16:57
From nacker barslob
Latest on the new instructor line up JC/Kev/IC/IM/LB/MB and wait for it.... the new CFI....KL!! presumably doing one trip each per week.
Where did you hear that? It's news to me.

KL has not been asked, and IC has gone to do a 737 rating at Bournemouth.

Hold Foxtrot (again)
19th Feb 2005, 18:10
The list does not make a lot of sense IM is a full time surgeon
IC has work and AB is doing 73 rating and I would think KL is persona non gratia, so it looks like "Kev" and the maestro himself.

Dont let Kev near the RT and your'e ok !!!! (only kidding Kevin )

As rightly stated in previous post the school aircraft always gave way to commercial traffic,looks like somebody is speaking with brown lips !

Anybody seen Hope 2 or is he still in the straight jacket and can't type. ( I know you are there, we miss you )

Back to the padded cell, Night All

Mu Beta
19th Feb 2005, 19:22
Meant to say I should be there on 27th OK too.

Happyeater
19th Feb 2005, 20:08
Is Millers, the Wheatsheaf?

:hmm:

Hold Foxtrot (again)
19th Feb 2005, 21:42
It was the Wheatsheaf,Yes

back to the future
20th Feb 2005, 00:14
YES Millers is the old Wheatsheaf.

Are we all turning up at different times, or are we going to congregate about the same time, reason for asking is this, it might be worthwhile reserving a part of the bar for us, rather than been spread out like sheeps s:yuk: :yuk: t,all over the place.

BTTF

md902man
20th Feb 2005, 08:36
Kev isn't that bad surely. Ok, he may have a very slightly detectable geordie accent but I heard he'd taken up heli flying? The man has obviously seen the light.:ok:

Happyeater
20th Feb 2005, 11:41
Millers it is then, 8pm on Sunday the 27th Feb.

See you all there.

GonTek
20th Feb 2005, 14:55
Beso Mi ****!
Compra suoyo cerveza

Sorry if any of you understand Spanish !!!!

Dont forget your badges. (Gum shield and boxing gloves)

Regards all

Kev had his first heli flight on Friday (if he went up )!

GonTek
20th Feb 2005, 19:59
Less of the old TJ, you are over 40 now.

Big Stu : you turning out or what ??

Kev is ok really !!! Very distinctive RT....

Happyeater
20th Feb 2005, 21:33
Me buy a pint???? Gone all dizzy now.

Well, following todays footy result, I'll gladly buy a drink or two. :D

BigStu
21st Feb 2005, 08:28
Ye's picked a bad weekend. I'm flying away on Saturday and I umny back till Monday.

I'll be with ye's in spirit though.

TOPJET973K
21st Feb 2005, 09:20
Anything to get out of buying a round of drinks.... ! :oh:

dde0apb
21st Feb 2005, 20:49
So does anyone know which planes Neil Clark has, and what the rates are?

GolfWhiskeyKilo
22nd Feb 2005, 08:27
Spoke to JC on Friday,

He reckons RH will go back to the finance company.

WK

GonTek
23rd Feb 2005, 09:17
Best thing to do is ring the man and ask, At least you will get it from the horses mouth so to speak..

Mu Beta
24th Feb 2005, 17:37
Seems pretty certain RH will be going back, shame since it was the best of the lot.

TOPJET973K
26th Feb 2005, 10:25
Hi Gang :eek:

Are we all still meeting at Millers tomorrow night for beer etc??

Paris Dakar
26th Feb 2005, 10:47
TJ,

What do you mean tomorrow night - I thought you were going there for 2.00pm!! :)

I'm aiming for 7:30 - 8.00 (pm), do I need to carry a copy of the Sunday Times or wear pink carnation?

See you there :ok:

AW

TOPJET973K
26th Feb 2005, 11:25
PD

Well, you know what I meant! :p

You'll recognise me - I'll be drunk! :ok:

Cheers

GonTek
26th Feb 2005, 15:41
TJ : You are always drunk !

PD : Carefull with the carnation !

See you there....

MetOffice
26th Feb 2005, 17:48
Am up in the Northeast for the weekend. This afternoon Neil Clark was pulling 2 of the old club planes out of the hangar. I gather the hope was to go for a first flight. Anybody know if they managed? Only aircraft I saw moving on the apron was G-TYNE.

TOPJET973K
26th Feb 2005, 17:54
Hi Gang:

Yes MetOffice, you are indeed correct - G-BMUZ took it's first flight for a number of months this afternoon, I think JC was P.1 :ok:

G-BAWK's batteries were flat as a f**t so nothing happening there for a while...

The "WINGS" Bar & Restaraunt renovations taking shape nicely, the place will look brilliant, completely different but keeping a strong aviation theme. I think "Mine Host" hoping to have work done and completed and open by March 23rd. It will be THE place to be, that great club atmosphere again where it belongs - AND without a committee.. or elitism..

I really think that now we have flying training/private hire back in some form, the bar/restaraunt imminently opening and certain staff members back in employment we should have that 5th gold bar!!! (PPRUNE - please note) :ok:

LowNSlow
28th Feb 2005, 09:39
Having watched this thread since it's inception I've seen the highs and lows that have rolled through like waves over the months.

Glad to see that it all seems to have come good in the end. Good luck for the future. How much would it cost to land an Auster there?

GonTek
28th Feb 2005, 10:15
No posting's from "The Millers PPruner's Society "
must all be asleep.

Hangover TJ ?

Regards All

TOPJET973K
28th Feb 2005, 10:59
Hi Gang: :uhoh:

Yes - I have a hangover from hell... :confused:

On a lighter note - both G-BAWK & G-BMUZ back up flying this morning, never thought I would ever see it again...

Paris Dakar
28th Feb 2005, 11:02
Hi GT,

It was really nice to put some faces to names last night.

The old flying school offices are in slight disarray at the moment (understandably so) but I think NC will work wonders - it was great to be back there again yesterday. Sitting with JC, having a coffee and then going up in G/WK - just like the whole sorry thing never happened.

Judging by the potential drinking ability of some of the folks last night I'm sure that we can ensure that Mr Ballinger's till will be ringing merrily in WINGS.

TJ - I hope you weren't on your scooter last night :)

PD

GonTek
28th Feb 2005, 12:42
It was nice to meet other reprobate PPruners,shame more did not turn out.

As I said to Happyeater if all are willing,it could be a regular event.

I,m sure we can find something to talk about.

H2F : no need to hide your identity is known !

Is anybody going to arrange a celebratory fly past to get things going again (Mr Clark/Kev) it makes sense to advertise the fact .

Regards All

TOPJET973K
28th Feb 2005, 22:23
Hi All :confused:

I still feel like death warmed up :ugh:

HappyEater - cheers for the lift to the next pub, got another hours drinking out of it!

Paris Dakar - nice to finally meet you mate, lets carry on drinking and flying ;) I couldn't even spell Vespa last night, never mind ride it!

Great night with great company - Cheers All :)

Happyeater
1st Mar 2005, 13:58
You're very welcome TJ, was a pleasure.

It really was good to see the faces to the names of a few characters from off here. I hope that a regular, or irregular, get togethers happen once 'Wings' opens later in March.

See you all around soon.

mike halls
1st Mar 2005, 16:07
well,

I don't know if you guys know what happened yesterday
at the club but it is a real SHAME.The airport ordered
ant and his gang out of the building and told them that
the building was condemned.Mainly due to the a high
health risk that it imposes, and also the rumour is that
MB isn't happy with it at all. The airport don't know what
they are going to do, either repair it or bring the building
down.this is just incredible isn't guys.

safe flying

mike

back to the future
1st Mar 2005, 17:02
I was the one working there when the airport turned up.

They wanted to know what we were doing, and how much Distruction was going to take place.

Then they mentioned ASBESTOS being present under the floors,
it was used for insulation of the heating pipes.

We were asked POLITLY to stop all work until the extent of the Asbestos had been determined.

It was at the time no more than a cover thier ass situation.

Never heard anything today.

MA

Happyeater
1st Mar 2005, 17:04
By building, do you mean the Aero Club / restaurant and old flying school building? I understood that the 'New' school will be based in or near the training room area. Or, is this the building that you mean?

Sorry, Mike, I just wasn't clear about which building?

back to the future
1st Mar 2005, 17:05
Enjoyed the night at Millers, must do it again.

YES the bar area

Happyeater
1st Mar 2005, 17:09
Oh dear. No wonder MB may be dis-chuffed. I hope its sorted quickly.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mu Beta
1st Mar 2005, 17:42
Great!
It never rains but it pours at that place!
I enjoyed Millers too, it was nice to meet new people and see some old friends.

TOPJET973K
2nd Mar 2005, 00:07
Hi Gang :confused:

Had a chat with Anth re: asbestos.

The survey guy was in the club all day and his concerns were not as bad as I think everybody expected.

A full report will be given to MB (who is absolutely furious) and team tomorrow and any work to be carried out WILL be carried out by the airport authorities, however the areas affected were known to the airport already.
The boiler room downstairs and a small area of pipe lagging are the areas which have been highlighted.

This makes me think that if the EGNT authorities had carried out their landlord duties correctly the this problem wouldn't be an issue now.

Anyway, on a much lighter and more positive note - please check out:

www.wingsbar.co.uk (http://www.wingsbar.co.uk)

This excellent website for WINGS Bar & Restaurant was designed by Andrew Smith and he is found at the following:

www.atsdesigns.co.uk (http://www.atsdesigns.co.uk)

Cheers :)

PS. Andrew - that's another £500.00 for the freebie advertising!

Mu Beta
2nd Mar 2005, 18:24
That sounds like better news!

BahrainLad
2nd Mar 2005, 22:24
I suspect that if one were to look at the Aeroclub lease, it's actually a ground lease and therefore the general upkeep of the building is the responsibility of the lesee.....

AEROsmithy
3rd Mar 2005, 12:33
Is it just me or does anyone else think this dastarly situation is ever gonna end or be resolved either for better or for worse? It just seems never ending.

back to the future
3rd Mar 2005, 19:44
Hi all work restarts tomorow, laidies toilets Contaminated, boiler room Contaminated, Flat, Contaminated.

That makes me feel sick, We refurished the flat last year.
Feel OK so far.

Don`t think the club will be open on the 20th of March, better to organise another Millers Night.

Let you all know how things go.

Safe Flying

MA

Paris Dakar
3rd Mar 2005, 20:10
Hi MA,

Thanks for the update!

I bet Mr B isn't too happy with the news? If you see him tell him not to worry - once the boys are back there drinking again he'll easily recoup any lost bar revenue, and that's just TJ on his own:ok:

Don't know about anyone else but I thought Millers was a bit 'iffy' pubwise I mean, not the folk there. We could always try Twin Farms just down the road??

AW

Happyeater
3rd Mar 2005, 20:57
Went for a fly today with JC, bloomin marvellous to get up in the clouds again (so to speak). Funny thing was JC asked if I'd ever flown with Keith Lister, I said that I hadn't then KL walked in complete with lumi-jacket. I didn't realise he was back as a FI?

TOPJET973K
4th Mar 2005, 08:57
He probably isn't - some people just can't let go.. or go away..

Paris Dakar
4th Mar 2005, 09:21
I don't think Keith is instructing at EGNT? I've seen him there a few times recently but I presume he's doing something with the Provost or been in the hangar hence the hi vis jacket.

Happyeater
4th Mar 2005, 11:15
Was up at Northumbria Helecopters this morning and met a chap who was planned to do his skills test with, yup you guessed it, KL. He's examining etc alright. Just wasn't sure if he'd flown in to the sunset or not.

GonTek
4th Mar 2005, 19:27
Never mind back to the future (no pun intended MA) it looks like a drift back to the past.

Some smells linger no matter what..

The asbestos problem was highlighted after Trish and Malcolm left
and nothing done by the then committee.

Somebody correct me if wrong but I think you will find he's probably on a self employed basis and not employed,he has to earn a crust now .

Regards All

clearfinalsno1
5th Mar 2005, 09:04
Ooer ! The plot thickens... If the above sightings are true, I am amazed that KL was allowed to get anywhere near NC's aircraft. I thought he would be staying at Eshott for good. Is NC having trouble getting hold of instructors? Or have we been a bit niave on just where the real allegiances lie? Are things different to what they seem on the face of it?

This (accidental?) liquidation and takeover clique story just keeps rolling on.......

GonTek
5th Mar 2005, 09:56
Vultures only leave a clean corpse.

It was no accident !!!!

Hold Foxtrot (again)
5th Mar 2005, 17:13
I spoke to NC today and the aircraft that he will be using are getting C O A 'S as required, and other things are in the pipeline so to speak.

Gut feeling is good things to come,I think I can speak for the true members of the old club and " the Millers prruners " to wish him all the best and support him. ( as long as the price is right !)

Lowandslow : Contact Samson for landing/handling cost approx £30

Regards All

back to the future
5th Mar 2005, 17:28
Don't know about anyone else but I thought Millers was a bit 'iffy' pubwise I mean, not the folk there. We could always try Twin Farms just down the road??

Twin Farms is a good Idea Im up for that.

The Airport seem to be dragging there heels regarding fixing the roof (in more than one place) on the club.

They need to seal (honk honk) the roof so I can repair walls and ceiling, bit pointless doing it twice.

The forcast is, to open on the 13th April, all been well, I`ll miss it ,I fly to Florida on the 10th, (s**t happens)

How about Twin Farms before 10th April, someone else can choose a date and time this time.

Keep the BLUE side up, unless you aerobat.

MA

h999
5th Mar 2005, 19:58
hi all

I was chatting today and we got on the subject of why NC departed as chairman of NAC. I was told he resigned as a result of unfairly dismissing a member of staff (a hidden microphone was used to record his actual reasons which differed from the reasons he publicly stated). This resulted in a costly legal battle for NAC. It was also suggested that KL benefited from this.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?

h

Mu Beta
5th Mar 2005, 22:44
One thing I can confirm is that nobody can instruct from Eshott as it's not licenced for Class A. What Keith Lister was doing there was a check ride I think. I believe renewals can also be done from there too. But certainly no instructing.

As far as I can gather Neil Clark is operating using self- employed instructors. If someone asks for a specific instructor, that's who they'll get, so if someone asked for Keith they'd get him.
Of course we've got to remember that only Keith, John C and Steve Marples are examiners around here so Keith'll be needed in that capacity too.

With regard to Neil's resignation from the committee, there was a lot of acrimony at the time and many rumours circulted. What was true and what wasn't it's very hard to say, but I've never heard any mention that Keith benefited from this before...and I really doubt that it is the case to be honest.

I'll tell you one thing for free though, the litigation that went on at NAC was ridiculous and a complete waste of our money...if the stupid court battles that were persued hadn't been and common sense had prevailed I doubt if there would have been any need for administration because our finances would have been healthy enough to pay the other bills. Go on someone...tell me I'm wrong.

Twin Farms is an excellent place to get together by the way.

dde0apb
5th Mar 2005, 23:22
hi all

I was chatting today and we got on the subject of why NC departed as chairman of NAC. I was told he resigned as a result of unfairly dismissing a member of staff (a hidden microphone was used to record his actual reasons which differed from the reasons he publicly stated). This resulted in a costly legal battle for NAC. It was also suggested that KL benefited from this.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?
Bollocks!

There is no question, though, that NAC spent far too much money on solicitors and not enough on aeroplanes.

Hold Foxtrot (again)
6th Mar 2005, 10:12
MB : You are dead right !!

The post just shows what a petty bunch was voted to committee
and that there was a large amount of money to be wasted on litigation.

Reallity check, The Newcastle Aero Club is dead and gone thanks to the mismanagement by certain individuals.

However, it does not make any difference to any one of us now who is employed to do what in whatever capacity,If you don't like them don't fly with them,simple.

Are we interested in aviation or agravation ?

HF (a)

Paris Dakar
7th Mar 2005, 18:07
Hi All,

How does Sunday the 3rd of April fit dairy-wise for a regathering of PPRuNers? This would allow MA the chance to attend before he zaps off to see uncle sam, and perhaps we can get an update on buildings progress ahead of the opening of WINGS.

I thought Twin Farms might be the venue and we could aim for a 7:30 - 8:00ish (T/Jet please note this is pm and not am). Now before someone shouts "who died, and put you in charge?" it is only a suggestion and if everyone else fancies Millers then I'm happy(ish) to go there. If 03/04 is no good then I'm happy to fit in with whatever date you all suggest.

AW

GonTek
7th Mar 2005, 18:53
Sounds good to me

PD : are you allowed out to play this week,Nice C 172 SP at EGNV

If all else fails The Blue Star Club is ok.

Regards All

MB: Chk PM

back to the future
7th Mar 2005, 19:51
Thank you for the thought, 3rd of April, Fantastic, Twin Farms, Great.

As far as the club goes, the Asbestos people were back in today,(Orders of upper management at EGNT) they were told to Investigate, under floors, and above ceilings for signs of contamination, above ceilings were fine, under floors were contaminated. But, because there is a wooden floor on top of a wooden floor, they deemed it to be safe.

However the cellar where the central heating wife, sorry BOILER is could take a while to sort out.

Apparently it will take up to two weeks to inform the Government about the Asbestos (I think that is because it is in a building frequented by the public) Then according to the guys that were there, "it is a piece of p**s to get rid of.

We still are no further forward with getting the roof sealed, latest thing is, it is not the roof leaking , it is the render work on the outside that is letting in water. LOAD OF BULL.

On a lighter note I should be up in the clouds again, Tuesday/Wednesday.

What does it feel like to be kept informed, without rumours:ok:

MA

sean377
8th Mar 2005, 07:46
Just checked, no footy on 3rd April. I was so bolloxed after watching the Newcastle-Bolton game then the Chelsea-Liverpool final back to back in the pub on the 27th Feb, there was nay chance on me getting to Millers that night. Sorry 'bout that.

Twin Farms is a much better choice than Millers too. Hopefully I'll make it next time (although Mrs 377 is looking for a holiday during the school break).

Sean

GonTek
8th Mar 2005, 09:18
Identity crisis Mr TJ ?

Are you coming out of the closet... Again !

Happyeater
8th Mar 2005, 09:50
Twin Farms looks good to me folks. The 3rd it is then, about 7.30 ish (pm).

(yeah I edited it!!!!) :\

Paris Dakar
8th Mar 2005, 15:51
Hi All,

Happyeater - the venue is Twin Farms, not Millers.

BTTF - Many thanks for the update on WINGS - you might still make the opening day/night after all if the hold ups continue.

GonTek - A flight in a shiny 172 SP would be very nice indeed, I'm in Leeds for the next couple of days and I've got a 'do' to go to on Fri so I'm running out of days this week. I'll ring you when I get back and we'll see if we can sort something for the week after if that's ok by you?

PD

GonTek
9th Mar 2005, 08:06
PD : no probs, EGNT is much closer and easier just need to arrange with NC and chk weather etc.

TJ : It is a good job nobody reads this or they may think you are in love:rolleyes: Truth is we may see an alter ego on pprune "Miss TJ "...

Twin farms sounds good .

Regards all

TOPJET973K
9th Mar 2005, 08:59
GonTek: You old cynic! ;)

I don't think I have ever been in The Twin Farms - is it OK?

I remember our ex-chairman and his cling-on's used to go so we all avoided the place, didn't want bits of his "wig" blowing into our soup.. :yuk:

AEROsmithy
9th Mar 2005, 14:18
Hey TJ!

The villagers in Bamburgh are not dull! That little village is full of scandal and interegue! At least it used to be when i was there!

:=

Aerosmithy

P.s. Sorry about my spelling!

TOPJET973K
9th Mar 2005, 15:28
Smithy! :eek:

I love the place, always been close to my heart and of course with Miss TJ coming from there I will always be bias!

Was there last weekend and I think the only scandal was a bit of sheep rustling(?) at Outchester! :cool: and apart from that we were both quite drunk in The Lord Crewe Arms..

I wonder how long before GonTek starts with the sheep jokes!!! :{

GonTek
9th Mar 2005, 20:45
Not long old bean, Barbour does a great line in green wellies.

Sheep originated in Sunderland and you can tell the Makem one's
cos they always shout for Merr !

Anyway the RSPCA barred you from keeping animals for life so keep quiet.

Your nav is kak your'e no where near P 18,Remind me not to fly with you !

Mint sauce anybody ?

Bit of straw to chew ?

TOPJET973K
9th Mar 2005, 22:18
I knew it, a matter of minutes and he's started! :{

Papa18 - it IS the quiet end cos' I aint anywhere near it.. :=

AEROsmithy
10th Mar 2005, 10:16
Gon tek : Humph!

TJ: I wouldn't worry about Gon Tek's comments about sheep. He's obviously jealous because he's only got a plastic one from the gadget shop and we live so close to the real thing!. :p

GonTek
10th Mar 2005, 12:50
Aero: People in glass house's should not throw stones.

Gadget shop one's dont last long !!!

"North Gosforth " is nowhere near any sheep !

Baaah.

AEROsmithy
11th Mar 2005, 09:44
Have u tried the ones from Ann Summers?! I've heard from various city folks thaat they are better than the gadget shop! ;)

Ok fair enough if TJ doesnt live near real sheep!

i live very close to the real thing! infact about ten yards!

OOO ARRRR!

GonTek
11th Mar 2005, 12:41
Aero : Too much information regarding real thing,Try getting out more.

I never was interested in animals but have woken in the company of canine's previously .

Show your face at the pprune night. (If you dare ) !!

Regards all

BigSteve81
11th Mar 2005, 15:59
Hi everyone,

Crikey a lot has happened since I was last on here, good to see things are finally getting sorted.

Like the idea of the pool table on order for the Wings bar

:{ Waaaa! I missed the millers night out, I'm gonna miss the Twin Farms night as well....(otherwise occupied with a weekend drinking session up in Jockland and wont be back until the monday.) Keep me informed of the next one (which I guess will be in the new bar)

Well I can hear the three mile calling my name for this evenings session!

Catch you all later!

Steve
--------------------
"To Alcohol!...the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems" - H.J.Simpson

GonTek
11th Mar 2005, 21:15
Q: Where is " Excactly !"

TOPJET973K
13th Mar 2005, 13:19
Exactly IS exactly where it is! :ok:

Popped into Wings Bar & Restaurant yesterday - looking very very good indeed, a great deal of hard work is going into the place and I can't wait till my next all day drinking session in there... :D

On Thursday I will be back in "God's country" - Bamburgh, Budle Bay etc etc - Miss TJ & myself are going to spend some quality time together..... and no sheep! :eek:

BigSteve81: Good to hear you are still around mate! ;)

Are you going to recommence flying at EGNT?

Smithy: You MUST get to next PPRUNE gathering! :ok:
Do you actually live in "God's country" ?? - we should meet up for an all day drinking session in The Castle Hotel! :D

Hope rest of the gang are fit & well.

Happy & safe flying everybody :)

BigSteve81
14th Mar 2005, 12:20
Hi Topjet,

Was always here in spirit, PC almost went out of the window in a fit of rage when it kept crashing, couldn't be bothered to fix it for a while!.hehe

I'm seriously considering it, car packed in on me this morning (having the best of luck at the moment :sad: ) and if I can't get it sorted before the weekend I'll have to cancel two flights down Teesside.
These long distances are taking their toll on the old girl and if needs be I can just hop on the metro to Newcastle Airport.

Just a few questions before I go!

I read on a previous post someone mentioned it was £98 an hour, does that include the instructor fee?? If not how much is it with an instructor??
Do they still have the on peak/ off peak landing fees??
Are they still using the same phone number as before??? or will I have to get in touch with Northumbria Helicopters??
And, does anybody know how busy things are at the moment?, am I looking at a couple of weeks in advance to book a lesson?

Steve

GonTek
14th Mar 2005, 13:48
Steve : Best thing to do is ring JC or N Clark and ask,it works out a little cheaper than NAC previously .

If you speak to them you will get it from the horses mouth,I believe they are using JV MUZ and IF.

TJ: Are there any sheep in the castle grounds ? or did you frighten them away .

Regards All

TOPJET973K
14th Mar 2005, 15:26
:D GonTek :D

I think you are using me to hide your own "carnal desires" towards the grass eating animals that used to graze on the cricket field below Bamburgh Castle! :ok:

GonTek
14th Mar 2005, 18:50
TJ :see previous post re animals, I see from the pics that the lady wears dark glasses ,The white stick and Labrador were not visible.

Trust you to know that there were sheep previously at the castle
you plonker Rodders

TOPJET973K
15th Mar 2005, 13:58
:D GonTek:D

It is not unknown for you to be seen with your green Barbour wellington boots on and a certain animals hind legs stuck down your rubber greenies!!!!! :ok:

Anyway Tek - fancy a hop the Bulldog later in the week? :)

GonTek
15th Mar 2005, 18:13
Cheeky Bass drinker TJ !

You just want to wear your flying suite ( yes I know it is spelt wrong)

I am there 9:30 Fri if that is any good ? Let me know..

You could get a leg in each of the map pockets !!!

EGNT / EGNV ???

Baah Baah for now ..

TOPJET973K
15th Mar 2005, 18:24
:D GonTek :D

I'm hoping the EGNV Bulldog will be off it's C of A by then, that means EGNT's Bulldog will be back up at Newcastle - I await in anticipation.

Will speak to you soon re: Friday mate. :)

Hope ALL Pruners are fit & well. :cool: & just to refresh my failing memory, what is the date for the next PPRUNE p*ss up?

Safe flying everybody and see you all on whatever date it is! :oh:

M

Paris Dakar
16th Mar 2005, 11:43
TJ,

You really are a lazy boy!

I'll save you the troublesome task of scrolling a few pages back to check on the next PPRuNer's meet............................and tell you that its Sunday 3rd April, Twin Farms @ 7:30ish.

Do you intend bringing Mrs TJ to the gathering?

PD

Paris Dakar
16th Mar 2005, 13:13
Hi TJ,

I think I'll hop on a Metro for the 'PPRuNe do' in order that I can get my load on - I'm looking forward to a good old slurp of ale this time.

GonTek and I have been trying to get aloft but my work is getting in the way at the moment. But rest assured that once I've managed a flight I will def be on for a whiz in the Bull Dog.

Get your drinking head on for Sun 3rd, if you fancy getting really out of your face (like last time eh!) we could meet up earlier................before the rabble (sorry - 'fellow PPRuNer's) turn up.:)

PD

TOPJET973K
16th Mar 2005, 15:07
Paris ;)

Not a problem - as you are aware I LOVE a big drink on a Sunday so will be in touch soon to arrange an "earlier time" ! :cool:

BigSteve81
16th Mar 2005, 16:49
Hi all,

I couldn't get the car running yesterday so I've had to cancel my flights at Teesside.

A quick call to JC and he got me lined up for a return to EGNT this Sunday afternoon:D

Wasn't expecting to get one this weekend at such a short notice so it put a rather large smile on my face when he said he could fit me in!

Steve

GonTek
17th Mar 2005, 16:41
PD : still waiting for half decent weather for night detail unless you fancy a jolly through the day.

TJ : Don't leave your flock in the carpark at the Twin farms have you seen the mess they leave not to mention the lambs (x3)

Regards all

TOPJET973K
18th Mar 2005, 11:04
:confused: GonTek :confused:

I really hope you enjoy the Lake District.... :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

piper pervert
18th Mar 2005, 13:39
MEMBERSHIP

Could anyone tell me what they believe will be happening regarding membership for the club.I was a full member of the aero club with a d/debit set up for fees.I cancelled the d/d whilst all the uncertainty was about so therefore i suppose am no longer a member.
Have a made a mistake?
Will i receive any information regarding renewals etc?
Do my details automatically pass to Samson?

Any ideas greatfully recieved!

cheers
pp

TOPJET973K
18th Mar 2005, 15:20
Piper Perv: :ok:

Ok mate - your membership ceased the day the club went into admin, also you did right cancelling your direct debit, not that it would have made any difference.

Membership will technically still exist although not as Newcastle Aero club but you will still be able to enjoy all the benefits in the new Wings Bar & Restaurant (to be run by Anth who ran the place before closure) and flying training/private hire with Neil Clark at Northumbria Helicopters.
There is no criteria for a membership renewal.

Hope this helps.

TJ

GonTek
18th Mar 2005, 17:12
TJ ; you're death will be a slow one !

TOPJET973K
18th Mar 2005, 18:41
GonTek :ok:

What are you doing tonight, playing bingo? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Red 6 & 1 - 61, Blue on it's own number 7, Green 5 & 3 - 53, White 7 & 5 - 75, Bingo is THE game don't you think GonTek?

I would like to propose a PPRUNE bingo night with GonTek calling the numbers??!! :=

TOPJET973K
19th Mar 2005, 18:11
Hi Gang: :rolleyes:

Was speaking to Neil Clark today and when he gets the aircraft all sorted there will be a £50.00 membership fee for flyers.

This will entitle you to private hire and/of training flights.

Probably better to speak to him direct, also the organisation will be called THE NORTHUMBRIA FLIGHT CENTRE.

Hope this is of use.

Safe flying all :)

GonTek
20th Mar 2005, 16:15
TJ : you seem very au fait with the in' and out's of bingo calling,people in glass houses and all that.

Just remember you will have to sleep sometime, I'll be back .....

GonTek
20th Mar 2005, 19:27
Happy : Re other post on a different thread. Libelous but definately true you are the Third horseman of the apocalypse as far as Aero clubs go !

As for TJ he never is capable of standing on his own.

Pprune night, Be there or be square..

TOPJET973K
22nd Mar 2005, 22:50
Hi Gang :cool:

How do flyers feel about the new £50.00 membership fee for The Northumbria Flight Centre" ???

I'm certainly NOT having a pop at Clarkey - just want to know what the general feeling is.. :ok:

JC told me that the £50.00 covers use of the facilities and of the aircraft. He sort of initimated that unless I was a "member" then I couldn't use the access door to the apron to get to the Bulldog!

Paris Dakar
23rd Mar 2005, 09:46
Hi TJ,

Ok - I'll go first then:)

I look at it this way: I used to handover my yearly subs to the old NAC and in return I flew their aeroplanes.....................sometimes. Why sometimes? Well sometimes they weren't available - tech/already booked out. Sometimes I was phoned enroute to be told that the aircraft I had booked was now offline.

So, I'm driving up to EGNT and my mobile rings (I stop at this point to answer it :) :) ), 'sorry but the plane you booked is not available now'. Since I have already passed V1 I don't care cos I can always get a beer at the club.............................wrong! It's shut and no-one seems to know why, not too worry I'll hang around............................no-one turns up:( .

So, if NC provides a better (possibly cheaper?) service then he gets my £50 squids no qualms. If MB ensures that WINGS operates on more than an 'ad-hoc' basis then he gets my money too.

To sum up - if we end up flying the same planes from the same place with some of the same faces, and drink in the same (but newly furnished bar) place for roughly the same money BUT WITHOUT THE POLITICS, then that makes me happy
:ok:

I'll get me coat................................................;)

GonTek
23rd Mar 2005, 10:09
It all sounds good but what does the £50 quid get you ?

We paid membership fees previously to be squandered as seen fit by certain individuals along with the profits of NAC, Why do we need to pay more for the the already expensive hobby we choose to indulge ourselves in and lets not forget that ad hoc hires are readily available with the usual chk flight.

Awaiting verbal chastisement...

TOPJET973K
23rd Mar 2005, 20:05
Guys n' Girls :D

Well, looking at the progress NC is making setting this whole thing up, I very much doubt it will ever be run like the old set up was.

Paris - yeh, know the feeling mate - half way up the road and JC rings to say we are down to no aircraft at all because the last servicable aircraft has GonTek :=

I don't suppose you can ever foresee aircraft going "tech" but time will tell how this new outfit shapes up. I must admit the atmosphere around the place is 500% more relaxing and far nicer than I can ever remember - maybe this IS the start of something good and hopefully not to be ruined by certain individuals who, I might add are extremely conspicuous by their absence.

Roll on Wings Bar opening then we will be the envy of all! :ok:

Paris Dakar
23rd Mar 2005, 21:21
TJ,

You are right, you can't forsee every aircraft 'going tech' but I suspect Mr C will be more aware of the potential lost revenue and will therefore ensure some possible contingency.

Flying isn't the cheapest hobby around but if he makes it happen, then as I said before, I'll gladly pay the man my money.

PD

GonTek
24th Mar 2005, 09:51
Ladies,Gentlemen, and sheep lover.

I flew yesterday at EGNT and must say things at the "Northumbria Flying School " are looking good, lots of refurbishment work tidying up the old rooms.It looks rather posh.

One other point re tech aircraft, It was apparent if looking at the booking sheet certain previous individuals booked numerous slots
and did not use them,no names no pack drill but you can all guess who.

Anybody going to the Fly show in London 8 9 10 April ?

GonTek
25th Mar 2005, 10:41
TJ : Certain individuals are still very much in evidence, as I walked out to chk out an aircraft on Wed I noticed one loitering with intent !

TOPJET973K
25th Mar 2005, 11:28
GonTek :O

Hope you checked your fuel as that may have been syphoned off too! :ok:

Paris Dakar
26th Mar 2005, 08:43
Gon Tek,

I popped up to NFS yesterday and the place is really starting to take shape nicely.

I had the youngest Dakarette with me (she's only 3) and we had a little look around the place.

Really nice touch - NC asked her if she wanted to see the helicopters so we took a drive around. She was quite keen until one of the R22's started up...........and that was it, all hell broke out. A 3 year old can make as much noise as a heli in low hover believe me. Not wishing to scuppa any intentions she may have of becoming a pilot in the future we retreated to the local MacDonalds for a 'Happy Meal' and calm was soon restored.

Looking forward to flying again soon.

PD :)

TOPJET973K
26th Mar 2005, 08:51
Paris :cool:

Good to hear you have had the youngest Dakarette up at the club, hope you mentioned that "this is the place where Daddy will be getting very very drunk" !!!! :D

Miss TJ tends to go for extremely handsome young men in flying suits who fly very fast jets, the Bulldog will suffice though..

While enjoying the Happy Meal, were you a Happy Eater :ok: (sorry Paul :ok: ) - couldn't resist that!

GonTek
26th Mar 2005, 09:57
TJ : You got the " Bull " bit correct, The nearest you will get to a fast jet is one of your models !!!!!

Bah..

TOPJET973K
26th Mar 2005, 10:47
... at least the young and handsome is correct... :ok:

back to the future
26th Mar 2005, 12:52
Hi all.

I was speaking to NC yesterday, he told me the £50 membership entitles you to use the aircraft, and all the facilities.

It also covers your social membership for the bar.

I finished all the plastering work last week, and it is drying out fast, thanks to the industrial heaters Anthony had hired in.

There are some nice comfortable chairs and sofas to sit on.

Last I spoke to Anthony, the airport still had not decided which company was to remove the Asbestos, once they decide it takes two weeks apparently to notify the Government, then half a day to remove it.

Happy Flying

MA

Happyeater
26th Mar 2005, 17:16
£50 is a small price to pay for NC providing a training facility etc.

Just look forward to the social side developing once the place gets settled.

TJ....I'm always a happy eater. ;)

Paris Dakar
26th Mar 2005, 19:59
Hi All,

TJ - When Jnr Dakarette's elder sister (now 9) was about the same age (3 ish) I took her shopping to our local supermarket early one morning to allow Mrs Dakar to have lie in. As we walked past the 'booze' shelves she shouted in her loudest voice 'Daddies Juice' pointing at the rows of cans as I tried to speed away. The looks from some of the dissaproving older folk was superb. Jnr D will no doubt be equally as embarrassing in public so I shan't be pointing out my drinking habits to her just yet.

As for MacDonalds, I detest the place, I find sitting at Foxtrot on a busy day with the Hobbs running a more enjoyable pleasure. I'm a most Unhappy Eater!!

I think its NCs intention to write to us regarding the fees etc.

BTTF - Thanks for the update. Why does it take the airport so long to get it sorted? Presumably they must have some sort of 'call off' contract that they use in these situations............or perhaps not. There wasn't anyone there when I was up yesterday otherwise I was going to try and get a neb.

Happyeater - I still owe you and Gon Tek that pint I promised, I'll get them in on the opening day/night of Wings:) .

GonTek
27th Mar 2005, 11:04
TJ : Who u trying to kid ; Young ? 40 plus.:{ Handsome ?:yuk: is your spitting image contract still running ?

At least now we know what the £50 covers.

PD : definately up for the pint . (seek help AA ! )

GonTek
27th Mar 2005, 13:49
Me thinks I have struck a nerve !

Her guide dog is not keen on you though :O

TOPJET973K
27th Mar 2005, 14:35
Tek :cool:

It's all about being extremely confident about one's sexuality, you either have it or you haven't ! :)

Struck a nerve - the only nerve you are likely to strike is that small one in "down below" while enjoying "self fun" in your "toolshed" .... :ok: :ok: :ok:

GonTek
29th Mar 2005, 08:03
"confident about one's sexuality "

Are you finally coming out Rodder's ?

Mr BRL might have something to say about your personal vendetta !!!!!

TOPJET973K
29th Mar 2005, 11:32
GonTek.

You are constantly reffering to "closet" & "sexuality" - that tells me one thing.... and it isn't rocket science! :rolleyes:

I can't help it if Miss TJ finds me irresistable - I would worry more if you did :eek:

GonTek
30th Mar 2005, 09:33
Worry not dear you are not my type !

reduced density
30th Mar 2005, 18:06
Word of warning
I heard the other day that, after someone declared an aeroplane to be unsafe for flight the other day, due to an oil leak, the new owner of the Flying School at Newcastle, who I don't believe is an engineer, said he would go and see if anything needed to be tightened up.
This doesn't sound very safe, perhaps those flying there should be extra careful when doing your checks.

Mu Beta
30th Mar 2005, 18:55
Hi everyone,
Don't know how people find out about these incidents.

It was me who tech'd the aircraft due to an oil leak. There was quite a bit of it but it was hot and we all know how it expands, the engine was smoking a bit too and the oil was dripping onto the hot engine. Kevin was quite concerned too, as he'd just returned in it.

Anyway I don't think Neil would touch anything that needed an engineer, all he was going to do when I left was see if anything was loose and needed tightening up. I'd expect him to call an engineer out if he couldn't find anything trivial that was loose.

Not something to loose any sleep over I think...the advice about doing checks thoroughly is good, but it applies to all flights surely?

reduced density
30th Mar 2005, 19:01
Was there something in my posting that was factually incorrect? It seems not from the above.
Just want people to be safe that's all...and I'm not from the North East, I'm from the south west of Scotland.

Mu Beta
30th Mar 2005, 20:39
Tyler Durden...what's your beef with people from the North East? Have we offended you in some way?

Paris Dakar
31st Mar 2005, 09:18
Tyler Durden - I was about to comment on your 'North East Mentality' statement but it's gone now.............??? Perhaps you could PM me??

Regarding NC checking the engine, off course he's going to take a look himself! When your TV fails to switch on do you reach for the Yellow Pages and call for an Engineer? B*ll*cks do you, you check the connections, plug and fuse etc.............but should you be doing that if you aren't a qualified electrician?

I don't know much about aero engines but I built Ford competition engines in the early 80s, and the oil could come from a multitude of places - pump, filter, pipes, breather, dip stick etc etc.

As owner, I would be dissapointed if NC didn't check first before reaching for his Yellow P's and searching for Aero Engineers.

PD

GonTek
31st Mar 2005, 09:31
Target aquired One Bogey !

TOPJET973K
31st Mar 2005, 11:42
Tyler Durden/Reduced Density

It's great when 2 people join PPRUNE on the same day, at the same time....

South West Scotland... and you have a problem with people from the North East... I rest my case!

Firstly, are or were you members?

Are you "both" flyers?

Do you listen to gossip from certain ex-employees? :yuk:

Oh, it appears "Tyler Durden" has gone from the thread!!! :ok:

GonTek
31st Mar 2005, 11:55
The NHS can do wonders for personality disorders these days

Speedtape
31st Mar 2005, 13:58
Of course when your telly goes tits up and you have a go yourself that's acceptable. You are only going to kill yourself through your own ignorance. When it's a Transport category aircraft that you charge people to use then I'm afraid you are going to have to call an Engineer because thats the LAW. You are a tosser if you think that you are above that sort of thing. I have just this minute filed an MOR with the CAA to report this infringement as it is my duty to do so and so is it the duty of anyone else who may have witnesssed this occurrance (Mu Beta). It's all there in CAP 382 for those who may question the relevance.
Well done Reduced Density for bringing this to light and you are right to do so. Safety is no accident :ok:

Paris Dakar
31st Mar 2005, 14:27
Hi Speedtape,

Before you start calling people 'tossers' you need to look at the exact terminology I used in the first place. I said there is nothing wrong with looking to see what the fault may be - I made no mention at all of rectifying the fault.

PD

h999
31st Mar 2005, 15:11
Topjet/Noise how is the one of you!

Dont be so quick to call others for possibly having two identities on this forum. You were not too happy when you were rumbled.

I am with Speedtape on this one. Maintenance and repair is for qualified engineers only. Isnt adjusting bolt tensions an engineers job?

I know of one pilot who refuses to fly helis at Northumbria because NC has been doing this with his helis for years

h

Speedtape
31st Mar 2005, 15:16
PD

Andy, I wasn't refering to you... please read my post! It was a generic pop at anyone that thought that it was acceptable for anything other than prescribed pilot maintenance to be undertaken by anyone other than an appropriately qualified, licenced engineer. An inescapable fact of life is that these things are governed my the law of the land. And the bad news is that when EASA is fully implemented in the next year theres a whole bunch more stuff that is going to displease GA and more so Private owners :{

H999
Was it one of NC's choppers that went down at Langley Castle a couple of weeks ago? I'm sure it was a Robinson but it was probably an R44 rather than a 22.

h999
31st Mar 2005, 15:36
Speedtape

No it was not. Local press said it was privately owned and from Manchester

h

Paris Dakar
31st Mar 2005, 15:49
Speedtape,

I put my hands up! I have just re-read your response. Apologies.

Andy

h999
31st Mar 2005, 15:54
TJ

I did not continue to discuss this in an open forum I removed the post immediately after your PM. I just think it is unfair to accuse others for something you yourself did. Has one of my posts ever been factually incorrect?

If you know who I am name me!

h

Speedtape
31st Mar 2005, 16:20
Hiya TJ
Yep everythings good here, thanks. FYI very limited pilot maintenance is allowed under LAMS but only on private category aircraft and then only by the registered owner.

H999
Ta for that info. I thought as much - did a search on G-INFO and didn't recognise the registered owners (but that doesnt mean much as it could have been a leased or sub leased aircraft)

Hi PD
No problem mate - it's me being forthright again, sorry but I am what I am :yuk:

clearfinalsno1
31st Mar 2005, 16:21
Its good to see that there's something interesting to read again rather than the drinking stories of 2 or 3 individuals - sorry!

I think this particular oil leak point has to be considered against lingistics and those with an axe to grind against NC. Not having been to the club recently I can only comment based on what others have written above. Surely if someone landed and said the port undercarriage felt a bit soft, you, an instructor or the engineer would go and "have a look" to see if the oleo extension was correct and the tyre pressure good. This is different to actually meddling with it yourself.

It would be useful if someone with more knowledge than myself could list the points of aircraft maintenance/inspection that the pilot/owner can attend to and those which require an engineer. Speedtape, you seem informed - what is EASA?

I suppose we should be happy that someone is offering fixed wing training and solo hire at EGNT again, otherwise a lot of us would be stuffed (or have an hours drive to EGNC/NV). But, we DO all want to know that the aircraft we fly are safe. Whilst, the responsibility falls on the pilot to decide whether the aircraft is airworthy during his walkaround, we ARE reliant on the honesty of the hire organisation to have fulfilled its Public Transport engineering duties. Didn't club instructors in the old days do stuff like bending aileron trim tabs by hand if after a flight it was commented "it rolls to the left/right a bit when you take your hands off". How many times have nav and landing lights been left u/s for months. It was actions like this that we just "grinned and beared".

So what is the conclusion here? Its great that we can hire aircraft again at EGNT. But is the NC ownership as white as it seems, or are we all just being fooled? Are there any connections with the old characters in the club which led to the current ownership?

Finally, the new hire rate does seems expensive these days at 100 pounds plus the landing fee. But I did see in last month's Pilot Magazine the review of UK flying schools, this price is still one of the cheapest. By the way, I think Ashton Aviation behind Samson is doing a Warrier solo during the week for about 10 pounds an hour less than NC.

TOPJET973K
31st Mar 2005, 16:33
Clearfinals:

For a while there wasn't much to talk about apart from drinking! :ok:

H - I will, don't worry about that! :ok:

Have Ashton got their fixed wing yet? Dave said it's arrival was imminent.

Speedtape
31st Mar 2005, 16:48
Clearfinals
Yes you are right. I should have read more carefully. If all NC did was have a look at it then no harm done. If however, hands were laid on and tools applied then that is a very different matter.
The items that may be considered to be pilot maintenance are listed somewhere and when I can find it, I'll list them here or give a link to where it may be found (It's a CAP5XX publication). More than a few people think that they can have a dabble themselves to save money but when the cack hits the fan other people can die and the poor LAE whose signature was the last one in the log book can end up carrying the blame and going to jail even though he/she may have had absolutely nothing to do with the cause of the crash. I speak from very good experience on this point. Thankfully, it was proven to have been unauthorised maintenance but for a very long time the finger of suspicion hung over our heads and that is not a very life enhancing matter.
But I've left that behind now but it still riles me when I hear of the same things still furtively going on.
EASA is the European Aviation Safety Agency, the replacement of the JAA and is now the Europe wide law maker for aviation which even our dear old CAA will have to bow to.:ok:

Edit
Found it - it's CAP520

Part 5 Pilot Maintenance
1 Introduction
1.1 There are two aspects of light aircraft maintenance which may be carried out by a
licensed pilot who is also the owner or operator of the aircraft:
a) A 50 hr Check to the LAMS for aeroplanes (CAA/LAMS/ A/1999), but only if the
aeroplane has a C of A in the Private Category (not helicopters).
b) Certain maintenance tasks prescribed in the Air Navigation (General) Regulation
16, but only if the aeroplane or helicopter has a C of A in the Private or Special
Category. (See Appendix 1 to this Part.)
1.2 Since the 50 hr Check requires visual inspection of various components in order to
assess their serviceability, it is important that due consideration should be given to
the practical aspects of this task before it is undertaken. It is strongly recommended
that guidance be sought from the Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer or the
Approved Organisation who normally carry out the maintenance work on the
particular aeroplane.

Oh and for those of you that fly jelly hoppers some interesting and sobering human factors facts.
In the fixed wing world it takes on average a string of 11 errors to lead to an accident. In the rotary wing world, on average, a string of just 3 errors results in an accident :ugh:
Something to bear in mind next time you see or hear of anyone dabbling with their Helicopter and something that definitely needs reporting :*

Mu Beta
31st Mar 2005, 17:46
There's certainly been a lot said about this!
I haven't reported anything to the CAA as was suggested because, as far as I'm aware, there is nothing to report.
I only know that Neil was going to have a look at the engine to see if something was loose, which is a reasonable course of action, and if something trivial was obviously loose intended to tighten it, I don't believe from my reading of the rules that's a job for an engineer, but correct me if I'm wrong...
I have no idea what happened after that because I left, but I'm sure he would call out an engineer if that was required once he'd assessed the situation.

Speedtape
31st Mar 2005, 17:54
Ok I'll correct you. You are wrong. Read the above.;)
In the scenario you mention, NC has a look and finds that one of the rocker drain tubes has a loose union nut so he gets out his trusty Halfords adjustable spanner and tightens the nut. However, he does not realise that the elbow fitting, the nut and the tube are manufactured from a light alloy and he introduces a stress crack in the flange of the tube or manages to introduce a twist in the tube down near one of the bends. X number of hours later a carefree Mr X along with his mate and 2 kids is enjoying his expensive trip out to the cafe in the same aircraft when suddenly he notices the oil pressure is very low and the oil temp has risen through the roof. He sees no other sign of the pending mishap until suddenly the engine starts to run roughly and then seconds later it seizes just as he's about to cross a large urban area. The innocent little adjustment made X hours before has resulted in the tube giving way and emptying the engine oil contents into the lower cowling. Hope Mr X's PFLs are well practiced and up to scratch and that he's been a very conscientious pilot and made sure that he could safely land clear before setting out on his direct track across the large conurbation.
;)

Mu Beta
31st Mar 2005, 20:18
Yes, I see what you mean. I stand corrected. I hope then that he called an engineer.

My friends and I had been due to fly at 3pm but were held up by the previous flight overrunning till nearly 4pm. Kevin arrived back in the aircraft and was still with it when we went to check it over. When we pointed the oil out to him he said it was grounded and headed back into the Northumbria Helicopters office, I assumed to put in the flight log that he'd grounded it after his flight and tell Neil.

We went back to the Flying School office and when we arrived Kevin was on the 'phone telling Neil. Neil said he was going over to have a look and see if anything needed tightening up.

My friends and I left then as we didn't really have the time to wait for another aircraft to become available 40 minutes or so later.

That is the extent of my actual knowledge of what happened. I don't actually know if anyone did any work on the aircraft or not and therefore don't think I have any grounds for reporting anything. I assume Kevin and Neil will have done the right thing between them. I certainly hope so.

GonTek
2nd Apr 2005, 11:27
Q : Which aircraft was involved ?

if it was "SE " I can understand why.

Paris Dakar
2nd Apr 2005, 13:05
Without wishing to incurr the wrath of 'clearfinalsno1' how many of you are going to the Twin farms tomorrow for a good old natter and perhaps a beer or 3?

PD

Happyeater
2nd Apr 2005, 17:43
'Oil' be there (excuse the pun) ;)

TOPJET973K
2nd Apr 2005, 18:40
Happy - you will be strug up from the gallows with statememnts like that! ;)

Unfortunately OR fortunately, whichever way you want to look at it, I won't be able to attent tomorrow - have to take Father to visit his brother who isn't too good at the moment so I may miss events.

Please chaps, drink ALL you can in a short space of time. ;)

Tell you what, I don't like the sound of this "tyre kicking" lark...

Mu Beta
3rd Apr 2005, 18:07
As many of you will know the Northumbria Air Ambulance has been grounded becasuse of lack of funds.
My office has been trying to raise money for this cause and have arranged for a karaoke/disco to be held at Shankhouse Central Club in High Pit Cramlington at 7.00pm on 9th April.
Any one is welcome, the cost is £2.50, and you can pay at the door on the night.
I thought I'd post this as I'm sure some of you would like to support the Air Ambulance.
Hope to see some of you there.

For information the aircraft involved with the oil was indeed SE and I was told yesterday that one of the screws holding the gasket in place had been a bit loose.

GonTek
3rd Apr 2005, 21:20
Thanks for the info MB,it smelt of burnt oil when I flew it but had no apparent leaks.

It should also be pointed out to all and sundry that this aircraft is on hire and not one of NAC's fleet.

PIC makes the decision to fly or not as the case may be,its not only their safety (death is fatal ) but what about the inoccent party that gets an aeroplane on their house just because "it was like that when we got it "

Accidents dont just happen !

Mu Beta
4th Apr 2005, 17:44
Unfortunately, the event I mentioned in my last posting has been cancelled as there weren't enough people going to make it viable.

That's life!

Yes, SE is on hire, and Neil told me at the weekend that MUZ should be back on line soon and I think he said India Foxtrot not long after, at which time the aforementioned will be returned to Blackpool.

TOPJET973K
5th Apr 2005, 22:35
Popped in today only to be hijacked by JC demanding £50.00 + VAT.... flying membership for NC's gaff!

Membership forms etc are not available yet but Lynda behind the desk is taking details which will be entered onto their system when it's up and running next week. :ok:

Mu Beta
7th Apr 2005, 17:42
When I went to the Flying School they mentioned £50 no mention of VAT

TOPJET973K
7th Apr 2005, 21:34
Yep - defo VAT on the £50.00 membership.

GonTek
8th Apr 2005, 10:13
No mention of anything when I went in,is it a private club ?

Feeling left out now !:confused:

How is Delta Alpha Delta TJ.

Paris Dakar
8th Apr 2005, 14:09
GonTek,

Fear not matey. When I bumped into NC a couple of weeks back I asked him about the membership fee and he told me he still had a couple of things to sort out.

JC has a list of former NAC members and I would have thought that NC or Martin B will be writing to us about membership. But I could be wrong?

PD :D

Hope 2 fly
8th Apr 2005, 20:44
Hi flyers,
hope you are all keeping well.

Mu Beta
good to see you tried doing something to raise funds for the air ambulance.

"not enough people to make it viable! ---- Thats Life!!!"

I think in this case it probably means - thats a life lost!!

Are you by any chance thinking of trying again?

regards

Hope2

TOPJET973K
10th Apr 2005, 21:36
www.wingsbar.co.uk

At last, a confirmed date/time for the grand opening of WINGS BAR & RESTAURANT. :)

Checkout website link above for details.

Rumour: The new "cellar boy" - Kilo Lima?

GonTek - cheers for kind words matey.

GonTek
11th Apr 2005, 09:39
PD : only joking, there was only Linda in at the time and she took more than 50 off of me:ugh:

I'm off 5 days so if you fancy a jolly you know where I am (thurs onwards)

Bar looks good !!!!!:cool:

Hope 2 fly
11th Apr 2005, 20:00
Hi
I hope you all do not mind me calling in again?

been some interesting banter between my previouse two posts.
It looks like things are picking up for you all at last. so much so that raiders from Scotland are popping down to seek our local sheep! (just jokeing)

Topjet
thanks for posting the wings site up.
hope you can negotiate a lifetime free membership for former NAC members!!!!!

Gon Tec
is a "JOLLY" pilot speak for getting a mile high or just an abrevieation for getting jolly drunk?

best wishes
Hope2

Do you know who I am
11th Apr 2005, 20:21
It is great to see the club up and running again and I know that flying is not exactly cheap but having done some flights of about 2 - 3 hours and getting the bill I have no option but go for a share in an aircraft. Do you think that they should do a deal if you are really using the aircraft.

Has anyone had any nasties with SE especially with a spinning HI and questionable compass?

TOPJET973K
11th Apr 2005, 22:31
DYKWIA

Good point although other organisations do charge up to 3 hours per day for no flying! Not sure if NC would be open to such a deal for non flying time?

SE - never have and never will fly that from the postings I have read!

Hope2 - I hope you are coming along to the grand opening?

AEROsmithy
12th Apr 2005, 09:26
Sorry to be cheeky but....

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the PPL confuser containing flight planning and performance that i could borrow for a few weeks?

If you could Private Message me i would be very grateful!

Thanks

Aerosmithy

GonTek
12th Apr 2005, 09:54
Aero :chk pm.

Hope 2 : Nice to see you are still with us,the medication must be working your post is readable. (only joking my friend do you expect anything else from us !)
A jolly is nothing more than a fly about. (SE would not make a mile high )

Re: SE I had a flight in it and agree some things are "Questionable" but I must say in defence that this aircraft is not one of the fleet of NFS and any repairs will have been overseen by an LAE and there are allowable items that may not work, not grounding the aircraft. I certainly would not fly it again.
As stated in this thread previously another of the fleet should be back on line shortly and the item in question will be returned to its rightfull owner:yuk:

Hope 2 fly
14th Apr 2005, 19:59
Hi all,

I think NAC is famouse now its gone.

It got a mention in the new thread "Pprune Flyin" as a proposed / suggested destination. If it gets agreed who acts as host/hostess? and where will the Flyin PPrunes be entertained?

Topjet
thanks for the invite but I do not think i can attend the Wings opening do.
It looks like a private club for employees, accadamy customers & ex NAC members so I will not qualify.
I may also be away on a top secret Hedge Hog Hunting Rescue Raid with a bit of luck.

cheers

Hope 2 fly
17th Apr 2005, 20:31
Hi flyers,

I guese you are all too busy flying now to chat on here?

gon tec: No problem - thanks for the info.
Did you manage to get it up for a "jolly"?
through the rain & snow on thurs & friday but at least weather was ok sat and sun for your free weak end.

hope we get plenty more now the spring is here eh!

GonTek
18th Apr 2005, 08:18
Hope 2 fly :

Unfotunately not my friend, outside forces (she ) intervened.

There is still time though !!!!

Wake the rest of you, are you all asleep ????

You can join through wings web site
30 th is opening date so I am informed

Regards all

GonTek
29th Apr 2005, 20:06
Congrats on your solo Mr Happyeater !!!

It's one hell of an achievement.

Happyeater
30th Apr 2005, 20:54
Thanks GonTec, I appreciate it.

Just back in from the Wings opening night and the place looks really good. It was packed and some familiar faces were in attendance too.

The 'Club' is up and running.

GonTek
1st May 2005, 10:31
Anytime H.E.

The rest that is on the menu for you is just as much fun, the exams are a P.I.T.A.

Enjoy.

ps Enjoyed reading your account of lessons, Can you understand Greek now ? (no offence Malaka)

Regards All

Happyeater
2nd May 2005, 09:52
Im fluent in double dutch, my Greek ain't too good though.

You're right about the exams though P.I.T.A. is a very accurate description. Trying to find the time to study with 3 kids and a business is a little difficult. I've never been a study type person.

Just have to get it done, although I have found it really interesting in the main.

GonTek
2nd May 2005, 10:19
I know what you are going through, I had GFT booked and 3 to do
luckily managed 3 in a week.

You can do it !!!

I am also bi-lingual English/Krappe as I am sure others will agree
on the sidelines reading this (No reply reqd or expected TJ).

New Bar does look the hounds hydraulics !!!

Regards each and every.

Aero : have not forgotten u

andyhelo
11th May 2005, 15:42
I too, attended the wings night at the aeroclub. looks great. Hope everything goes well!!

Unusual Attitude
12th May 2005, 11:11
Can confirm the food is very good, grabbed a takeaway from them just last week for the flight back to Aberdeen. Those pen holders are bloody great for taking care of the plastic knife and fork while you get on with the take off !!

Regards

UA

TOPJET973K
19th May 2005, 10:51
Hi everybody.

Was speaking to JC last night and he thinks "India Fox" should be back with us very soon following her C of A.

GonTek
20th May 2005, 08:42
Hi All
Anybody any info on RH,is it still there or have the finance company taken it back.

Happyeater
20th May 2005, 18:16
Was taken away a fortnight ago. Was a shame seeing it sitting on the apron ready to go. My first lessons were in Romeo Hotel.

GonTek
21st May 2005, 15:05
At least we have all the old faithfull's ?

Bob Stinger
21st May 2005, 18:24
Are you refering to G-WARH?

Happyeater
21st May 2005, 20:55
Yes G-WARH the black and white Piper. It was taken 2-3 weeks ago.

Bob Stinger
21st May 2005, 22:08
Its now based at Blackpool, available for training and self hire.

GonTek
22nd May 2005, 10:17
Hope they did not part-ex SE for it !!!

Bob Stinger
22nd May 2005, 13:30
What SE are you refering to?

Happyeater
22nd May 2005, 15:10
G-BSSE, I think. Flew it a couple of times although to say it was a little 'tired' would be kind to it.

I'm sure Neil said it was due to go back to Blackpool. It hasn't been on the apron for a few weeks, perhaps it's gone now?

Bob Stinger
22nd May 2005, 16:43
Not seen G-BSSE however G-WARH arrived on about the 11th May

GonTek
22nd May 2005, 17:24
H E : Cant you spell "knackered "

Bob Stinger : well done passing GFT.

Happyeater
22nd May 2005, 19:18
GonTec, I'd have spelt it with a 'F'.

Well done on the Pass, Bob. Great stuff.

I had a hairy experience in 'Whiskey Kilo' yesterday. The left Oleo strut sticks 'long' after take off. So when you land the weight of the aircraft on it, pushes it back into position making it 'drop' feeling like a flat tyre. I had to abort the touch and go and after being sent to the Golf hold I got out to see the damage. Of course there was nothing to see!

So, I went out again for another circuit for the same to happen on the next landing. I asked for a full stop and went into the Club to report a problem to be told it was, "Always happening". Wish someone had told me....

GonTek
23rd May 2005, 08:05
I flew her 3/05 nothing untoward apart from a sort of black hole in the air and felt like I had lost power,carb heat ,pump on,mixture rich but no loss of power aprt from a few revs due to carb heat. I was seriously looking for a field in case of FL and having large rectal twitches and it is amazing how quickly you remember the drill's you learn in that situation.

I would think that it would be servicable and within limits but just because "it does that somtimes " doesn't make it right and I am sure there will be a technical reply forthwith.

Regards All

HE: next time you fly look a strut /wing height on the ground, I think you will find that sometimes the oleo's stick, I have had this on other planes in the fleet and it does feel a bit iffy when you land, as you slow down and it drops what feels like a couple of feet.
F*****knackered is an apt discription

Speedtape
23rd May 2005, 22:37
The oleo leg is designed to be fully extended with the aircraft airborne. The leg itself is a shock absorber with an internal oil bath and a nitrogen charge. The nitrogen is what causes the leg to extend and the oil passing trough a metering valve is what causes the damping action during compression of the leg with weight on wheels. The symptoms described indicate an incorrect ratio of oil to gas in the leg. Just requires a bit of the gas snifting out. If it then sits too low, thats an indication that the leg requires servicing with oil and gas. It's complete bollocks to say that this is normal or acceptable :rolleyes: . It's not really an acceptable situation for the leg to be extended beyond 4 to 5 inches with weight on wheels because it produces a longer lever arm moment acting against the oleo mounting putting unnecessary stresses into the wing under braking and on uneven ground. In the long run this will cause wear and damage in the landing gear and stress in the wing. Also, Cherokees have a history of torque link bolt and torque link failure. Operating the aircraft in this condition can only add to the possibility of inducing such a failure. If the torque link system fails, wave ta ta to the whole lower leg and wheel because the torque link is the only thing that keeps the lower leg from parting company with the upper oleo housing and that would tend to ruin your whole day;)

Edit: just remembered that sliding portion (lower leg, seal carrier and Wheel and brake) is held in the upper housing with a circlip. The torque links keep the upper and lower parts aligned. If the torque links fail there is nothing to stop the lower leg rotating within the upper housing so there would be a possibility of the lower part turning 90 degrees to the normal direction

GonTek
24th May 2005, 09:25
Ask and you will recieve.

Next question is who is doing the maintainence and why has this not been sorted .

Bob Stinger
26th May 2005, 15:01
G-BSSE is now back at Blackpool

clearfinalsno1
28th May 2005, 08:26
Speedtape, a good piece on undercarriage.

Has anyone else ever wondered about the necessity of design of the torque link. Why is the lower section of the oleo not just formed with a longitudinal bar or even splines and then corresponding slots machined into the upper part of the undercarriage. This would then stop any tendency to rotate. Maybe it was just done for reasons of keeping the engineering costs or weight down or the old "keep it simple".

I suppose an external torque link is easier to inspect for signs of damage but it does seem a bit "heath-robinson".

TOPJET973K
19th Jun 2005, 20:30
We are now into summer with a vengance, and so starts the off peak & peak landing times.

Without me asking Clarky, does anybody know exactly what they are?

If I remember it was 10.00 hrs - 11.00 hrs then 15.00 hrs - 17.00 hrs... ?

£25.00 + VAT peak ... :eek:

alpharomeo81
19th Jun 2005, 20:57
Does anyone know if there will be a website for the new school ?

GonTek
20th Jun 2005, 08:54
Sounds about right TJ

Cost me an arm and leg the other day for dual chk + 1t/g.

New guy Andy is good laugh....

Did get vectored ILS for me money and no orbit and full use of runway no "land up " !!!!

At least we have a flying school again.................

Mu Beta
25th Jun 2005, 23:30
That was a good explanation of the problem with the oleo.
I flew WK yesterday and the same thing happened to me, but only when I disengaged the flaps.

NT42
26th Jun 2005, 19:06
Greetings all!

Well, I finally got down to "Northumbria Flight Training" today, and the office area is looking fantastic! Couldn't believe the transformation!

Managed to see the CFI and NC which was nice, and we've sorted my training out. Got a lesson booked for next week, so I'm rather chuffed with it all!

The first thing which struck me, when I walked in was the better atmosphere compared with NAC. In the old club, whenever I went in it, seemed hostile. But today was the total opposite - straight away we were greeted by (I forget her name, Neils wife, I believe) and the CFI came a couple minutes later for a chat. NC, who was at the heli area then came, and again another nice chat. The whole place seemed nicer and more friendly. NC made a point of introducing me to another young flyer which was again very nice. The helpfulness and general positive attitude almost suprised me, but certaintly made me happy to know I'm doing PPL training there.

So nice to see a proper club at Newcastle again!

May see some of you down there at some point!

Happy flying!

JW.

TOPJET973K
14th Jul 2005, 18:39
Was speaking to Clarky yesterday and sometime in the near future he hopes to have a photograph taken with ALL members and aircraft in front of the hanger.

The photo will take the form of the anniversary picture taken some years ago - watch this space for dates.

Happyeater
14th Jul 2005, 19:28
Talk about a 'rogues' gallery. Don't tell me this pic would be available to buy as well?

I just reckon TJ is after the 1000th post......

;)

Shropshire Lad
14th Jul 2005, 20:05
Certainly agree with jwforeman - I've just resumed flying there and seems much more business like and friendlier than before:D

NT42
14th Jul 2005, 20:27
Hi,

Quite like the idea of a picture, wouldn't mind one myself!

I've managed to get two lessons in now, with a further two booked for next week. Great fun - I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Did a proper lesson on stalls which was brilliant, and got my first unassisted landing in as well!

I'm a member now, and was wondering about the wings bar. I read somewhere that theres a free years membership for NFT members? Might be wrong here, just wondered if anyone could confirm?

Anyway, cheers.

Happy flying!

JW.

I\'ve just found the Wings homepage, and that it is indeed free for the first year. I\'ve also just found that I\'m not allowed in after 2100!! I shall apply anyway though - always seem to be hungry after flying!

Cheers,

JW.

Happyeater
14th Jul 2005, 21:01
The food is good as is the company. Can't go wrong JW.

Well done on the landing too.

TOPJET973K
14th Jul 2005, 22:25
Well done JW on the landing mate! :cool:

It's funny, Andrew/Anth who run the bar always want me out by 21.00 too! ;)

Happy - still hogging the circuit?? ;)

Happyeater
15th Jul 2005, 07:44
Hiya TJ. No more orbits for me, mate. I'm let loose on my own to such places as Colt Crag, Rothbury and even Morpeth!! Tomorrow could be Barnard Castle and Seaham Harbour if I'm lucky.

Just need to work on the Nav exam now. I'm finding it hard work with lack of study time in the house, due to the kids etc.

TOPJET973K
15th Jul 2005, 13:22
Happy: I here what your saying mate! ;)

Barnard Castle/Seaham etc - good little trip if you come out of the Colt Crag/Rothbury unscathed!

I think Linda hung the picture from the Aero Club's Anniversary somewhere in the flying school. Pity there won't be a committee in the new photograph.... :eek: :confused: :} := :* :D

Happyeater
15th Jul 2005, 18:19
I've snuck in to post this threads 1000th reply and what a thread it's become. Had it all really, dispair, anger, hope, joy and we've luckily all witnessed the re-birth of GA in Newcastle with a superb re-vamped Club and of course the Wings Bar.

Well done to those who made it possible, I hope it is a big success and that the Northumbria Flying School goes from strength to strength. We all though we'd lost the Club in December, the Administrators presentation was depressing and the Clubs AGM was awful with doom and gloom writ large.

It has been good to see the Phoenix rise and new members joining and enjoying learning to fly as well as seeing the older members chatting over the older times in the new plush surroundings. The new instructors and team that run the Club and bar are excellent, a mixture of experience, enthusiasm and youth.

I have made many new friends since my first introductory flight a year ago tomorrow and even met someone that I hadn't seen in almost 30 years again. Well done once again.

Maude Charlee
15th Jul 2005, 18:59
Ah Wings, saviour of the thirsty late night airport worker! God bless John Smiths.

Quick question for you gents (and ladies?). In my haste to part with my cash and get airborne, forgot to ask NC about the club's currency requirements for solo flying. Haven't been able to get him on the phone either for the last few days. Anybody know off hand what the requirements are?

Cheers.

TOPJET973K
16th Jul 2005, 14:26
Maude Chaz:

I think he has the same 28 day currency rule as per old Aero Club. In fact I think I asked NC last night but my memory was clouded by crisp, ice cold white wine... :{

Maude Charlee
16th Jul 2005, 15:45
Wasn't around for the old club, so I'm afraid that doesn't help much. Do you have to fly in a club a/c once every 28 days, or just fly? I get plenty of continuity elsewhere, but the club is handy if I want to take some friends up on the odd jolly. :confused:

Speedtape
16th Jul 2005, 17:46
I believe 28 day currency required in club aircraft with the aircraft booked out in your name and you as PIC. Other flying doesn't count as it cannot be corroborated and that includes expense sharing when for instance you fly one leg as PIC and someone else flys another leg as PIC. That's if the rules are the same as the old club rules.
It is an expensive bummer especially when you want to seize the chance to take some mates up for a quick bimble at an opportune moment.
The answer.... operate your own A/C:ok:

TOPJET973K
16th Jul 2005, 20:39
You must have flown the club aircraft within 28 days - other aircraft flights do not count, on the 29th day it's a quick dual check - like Speedy says - it's an expensive job!

Mu Beta
19th Jul 2005, 22:00
As long as you have evidence in your log book of flying a PA28 within 28 days, and the CFI is happy with that, you shouldn't need to go flying with an Instructor (that's the same as the old Aeroclub rules).

TOPJET973K
26th Jul 2005, 23:26
MB: Remember our circuit.... :ok:

Andy the new Instructor seems a good guy with a brilliant sense of humour and extremely likeable - anybody had the pleasure of flying with him yet??