PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada recalls

GearDoor
12th Nov 2004, 06:33
Does anyone know if laid-off Air Canada pilots have been recalled? I hear that they should be back by spring '05, but was wondering if anyone has actually been given a restart date.

29chev
12th Nov 2004, 07:05
No calls yet and I'm not holding my breath...I think they will call back in 3 groups of around 57.....maybe 50-60 back next year spring more in late 05 or early 06 and the rest back in late 06 early 07.
IMHO not policy, just what I see.

meaw
12th Nov 2004, 15:23
Initial layoffs were 317. Following bid reduced to 287 and the last bid 100 or so "surplus" returned to active status.

So as of today around 180 are actually on the street of wich about 55 are due to be recalled. As of today I was talking to a buddy who is in the 55 or so to be brought back and indeed no calls from the company........though they say that those calls could and the word is COULD start in the new year.

I'm not sure I agree with the timetable mentionned in the previous post..........the company wants to bring in 2 more 767 and 2 more A330's as well as new EMB170's on the next equipment bid......they have already asked for increased flying hours because they are short of pilots.

More likely everyone will be back by the summer and the word around the office is hiring in about a year.Also dont forget we have 800 or so retirements from now to 2009.
I hope those phonecalls start coming soon!

GearDoor
12th Nov 2004, 15:38
Does the 317 include AC mainline and Jazz? I was under the impression that there was only about 160 ish on furlough from the mainline only.

meaw
12th Nov 2004, 16:07
geardoor,

Sorry about the confusion. Air Canada uses 2 terms :surplus and furlough. Surplus means you are on the list to get layed off but you are still on line flying.Furloughed means you are phisically off the property.Initially the 317 number is the number of Surplus.Of that number only about the 160 you aRE referring to got the axe.
The remaining surplus pilots were returned to active status,in other words those planned layoffs were cancelled as the situation here improved.
Of the 160 or so that are on the street ,55 are supposed to start being brought back in sometime in the new year wich will leave around 100 mainline pilots still unemployed.

These numbers are for the mainline and I have no idea what they are at Jazz.
I know it's confusing but I hope this helps.

GearDoor
12th Nov 2004, 17:51
Thanks, confusion eliminated.

I'm trying desperately to get an interview there some day, but my master plan was set back a bit with the CCRA stuff. However, I've been following their progress, and the new business plan gives me some hope that I may still be an Air Canada employee sometime.

I've been faithfully sending updates every six months, and I have all the minimum requirements, even some bonus ones (like university degree, turbine-EFIS experience, a bit of French etc.)

I could go and get a job at another jet airline, but it would be just that, a job. A career at AC is what I really want. Anyhow, if you have any more inside info, feel free to let me know.

İhris
13th Nov 2004, 23:59
Everyone will be back by spring.

Driving ERJ's, but back:D

29chev
14th Nov 2004, 04:11
Chris, (and all)
With the word yesterday of 15 emb175's comeing in July, that will change things a bit, the idea that all of us will be back (all 172 at main line)by spring is a nice idea but I don't think the training department can train us that fast.
Meaw I thought it was 2-767 and 1-340? either way you sound like you have info from an office I don't have so I hope your right I just think realistically it will take more time than you think to spool things up.
29chev
sitting in Asia waiting for the phone to ring so I can come home:hmm:

bound_for_dubai
15th Nov 2004, 18:00
After they get those Embraer's and CRJ's there just might have to hire another couple hundred pilots, that really helps releive the lower spots currently occupied by high time pilots

BFD

MarkD
16th Nov 2004, 18:15
[excerpt]
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1100559008812

The airline also said yesterday that it plans to add six large used jets on its Asian and Latin American routes in time for next summer's tourist season.

Milton said the Montreal-based carrier was "scouring the used-aircraft market" for wide-body, long-haul Boeing 767 and Airbus 340 jets.

"The international piece of our operation has just moved to a position of extremely strong profitability and so we want to increase our activity there," he added.

Milton wouldn't say how much additional revenue Air Canada might generate from adding the six aircraft.

c150driver
17th Nov 2004, 19:57
What will be the starting salary of new hires when it occurs??

meaw
17th Nov 2004, 23:46
C150,

The pay tables have changed a few times since the last 2 years.
It is open to interpretation here at AC but this is what I make of it.

A new GROUP PAY has been introduced and will cover EMB190 fo/CL65 FO/ A340 RP/B767 RP. Once you get off flat pay (used to be 2 years....not sure how much it is now though..used to be about 50000/year for first 2 years.)
Assuming you get hired into one of these positions,and unless things start going through the roof ,this will be the case for you,

you can expect to make around 77 Dollars an hour wich works out at 85 hours/month to about 78000 Dollars per year.
If you are lucky and get the A320 right away after your 2 years you will make about 90 000/year.

meaw

GearDoor
18th Nov 2004, 03:32
Meaw, thanks for the info.

Do you have a guess on what the average number of crews are for each a/c? I would guess there would be about 5-10 crews per aircraft. The fact that they are searching for "long-haul" aircraft could imply that some cruise pilots may be required also.

Have the 737 drivers been absorbed by the rest of the fleet already? I'm not even sure if they (the airplanes) have all been retired yet. I do know that Jazz is supposed to have started doing the Zip flights in the West already.

Only thing I can do is hope for an interview. It is still possible for me to have a 25 year career at team Red.

CJM

Saltaire
18th Nov 2004, 09:51
Those numbers sound a bit high to me. I made less than 40k for the first year and not much more after year two. The flat pay for two years is a scam in my opinion. On formula you can expect to make about 50-60k as an RJ F/0, maybe 75k on the 320. Not great, but hopefully there will be more movement soon.

Good luck

meaw
19th Nov 2004, 17:47
Saltaire,

CL65 f/o salary was indeed about 55000-year, you are correct.

But that position is now part of the GROUP PAY as it is called in the new contract. So the R/p's have taken a pay cut and the CL65's a raise and now everybody makes the same (cl65 fo/emb190f/o/ RP 767-340)
You will mow make about 75000 per year in this position and that is a fact.

As for the 320 salary it has never been anywhere close to 75000 per year.

I was on it for 3 years and never made less than 105 000/year.With the pay cut it is around 90000/year .
Meaw

Saltaire
20th Nov 2004, 10:40
I saw it as about 75/hr, but I haven't looked at it for awhile.......in any case it's a grind at the bottom. Wish they were expanding with larger equipment.

Ciao

MarkD
20th Nov 2004, 16:54
Larger equipment than 767/340? Whaddya want - A380s? :D :D

GearDoor
20th Nov 2004, 22:49
An A340-600 would be kinda cool.

Saltaire
21st Nov 2004, 05:08
Larger than RJ's and Embrarer's...............no more 747's either.

29chev
22nd Nov 2004, 09:33
EARLIER THIS WEEK, IN RESPONSE TO A QUESTIONS ON OUR MESSAGE BOARD, I DETAILED THE FACT THAT WE ARE ACTIVLEY SEARCHING FOR UP TO SIX ADDITIONAL WIDEBODY AIRCRAFT FOR THE SUMMER 2005. THESE SIX AIRCRAFT WOULD BE IN ADDITION TO FINS 611, 621 AND EMB 175S.

BID 04-02 WILL REFLECT A REQUIREMENT TO RECALL MOST OF OUR PILOTS ON FURLOUGH. WITH EMB190S SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE AT THE RATE OF ONE PER MONTH COMMENCING IN NOVEMBER, BID 05-01 WILL RESULT IN THE RECALL OF THE REMAINING FURLOUGHED PILOTS.

NEEDLESS TO SAY, OUR TRAINING FACILITIES WILL BE OPERATING AT 100% CAPACITY NEXT YEAR WITH NO ROOM FOR ADDITIONAL GROWTH UNTIL FALL 2005.

For your info.

jumpy737
22nd Nov 2004, 20:46
How many of the laid off AC pilots are on long term contracts? I know of at least a dozen that have committed up to 5 years and some that won't be going back at all. I would say that most that want to be back will be back on the first bid and hiring off the street will commence in late 2005. This is finally good news for all in aviation in Canada. There is going to be a huge amount of movement in the next five years.

- Air Canada will be hiring more than 500 pilots (conservative est. not including retirements) .
- WestJet will be hiring 160+/year
- Jazz will need about 200 new pilots
- JetsGo will continue to hire, although supply and demand dictates they may have to absorb the training costs.

This will all trickle down to the smallest operator so for those that have been discouraged over the past several years hang on to your hats.....it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Saltaire
23rd Nov 2004, 01:41
Might take a couple of years for that to happen but as long as oil doesn't rocket up to 60/ barrel, I agree.

I know of many on contracts and most would try and delay if not have a tough decision to make.

I hope the good times can return.

GearDoor
23rd Nov 2004, 03:13
Is it possible that they may do interviews prior to fall 2005 and re-establish a pool, then begin 550 courses later when they actually need people? You would think, like was mentioned earlier, the training dept. will be stretched to the max.

Another forum mentioned a rumor that Air Canada is going to lease 6 747-400's from UA. I find that hard to believe, since they just retired their -400 combi's.

74tweaker
23rd Nov 2004, 03:53
This also from another rumor site:

The AC pilot's union "rumour buster" website has nixed the UA 747's coming to AC. There are so many rumour's going around right now. 6-UA's 747. 4-UA's 777, 4 unnamed 767-300's and 2 A340-300 are just some of the combinations I've heard. I've given up on believing any of them, they'll make an annoucment when they have a deal.

I highly doubt they would get more 747's as well. I thought they were going to an all (mostly) airbus fleet. (eventually)

jumpy737
23rd Nov 2004, 15:21
As far as interviews go, there are about 180 pilots on furlough, and in addition to that there were about 80 pilots "in the pool" to some degree or another. Some have gone through the entire interview process and others had done a portion of it. The question is whether or not this "pool" still exists and if people are still interested. Some were interviewed because they were at Jazz and have since left for other companies so their slot in the pool may or may not be valid anymore. However, I would say that interviews will be in late 2005 for 550 courses in 2006.

Dockjock
28th Nov 2004, 18:23
As for some of the laid off pilots I know many are working on 5yr contracts in Asia, on a LOA from AC. It is my understanding that they have full seniority protection with an LOA and once their respective asian contracts are up are planning to return to Canada and resume their career with AC. Anyone know how many are in that situation?

bobrun
29th Nov 2004, 02:45
Anyone knows what will happen to the succesfull applicants who went through Jazz's interview and sim ride in 2001 (to be placed in a "pool"), but were never called for a ground school . Will they automatically be called for a new interview/job?

Ozgrade3
29th Nov 2004, 05:00
If the news paper reports are to be believed, its seems that the new Sydney-Vancouver direct service will be a hit with snow skiiers from Australia. The local Sydney paper reports that forward bookings are up by as much as 200% over last Canadian winter.

The choice of equipment is intersting, an A340-300. Didnt think it would have the legs for that run without significant payload restrictions. Will a A340-500/600 be substituted at a later date??

Its great to see the airlines in Canada starting to get back on their feet. Hope all the guys and galls get that phone call soon.

Ozgrade3

Left Coaster
29th Nov 2004, 05:53
Anybody remember C3 and how well they did on this route, (A330 via HNL, then Brisbane, Sydney, Aukland and Rarotonga?) Lots will say that this is another opportunity for AC to jump back into the area "vacated" when the govt put LARGE hurdles in the way of C3's recovery plan. (If C3 was allowed to continue sans RYL, AC would be in a bigger amount of financial hurt than they already were) So the Canadian govt insisted on a fiscal promise from C3's board to return to profitability within six months! Not with RYL still on the books! (*nothing personal to any ex RYL people) Any how, good luck to AC, they might need it on this route, it costs plenty to get to the South Pacific (gas wise) I hope the yields are there. It worked very well for C3...:ok:

MarkD
29th Nov 2004, 14:14
As I noted on the Air Bourbon thread, there's an A340-200 doing nowt (presumably)... YVR-SYD 342 non-stop both ways and the 343 doing BNE non-stop anyone? :D

I might need YYZ-MEL sometime to visit far flung in-laws but I doubt I'll get a non-stop :D :D :D

FFP
29th Nov 2004, 15:46
What do Air Canada look for when they do recruit, eg hours, secondary ed etc ?

Looked at WestJet and they seem to be good employers (not looking to start a bitching thread ) but want 4000 hrs and references from inside.

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread. Good luck all those in Air Canada and let's hope the next 5 years see an upturn (so I can leave the UK and come and live in Canada :D )

GearDoor
30th Nov 2004, 05:09
On the pilot careers section of the Air Canada website, they mention a list of study materials, and the writing of a technical exam as part of the interview process. Has anyone been through this "newer" interview? I suspect that the exam is similar to the one they give at the first interview at Cathay Pacific.