PDA

View Full Version : 737NG Question

madox605
29th Oct 2004, 11:17
Hi all, I'm not an actual 737 pilot, but I did purchase an add-on for MS Flight Sim (costing me $US40.00) from this particular company (www.precisionmanuals.com).

I must say that from using the 737NG 600/700, I'm able to understand about 60% of the message posts in this forum regarding this particular aircraft.

But I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to:

Before take-off while taxing from the ramp to the active runway, there will be a loud BEEPing noise whenever I increase the throttle. I set flaps 5, which stops the BEEP sound; I suspect this is a TOCWS issue.

But, *after landing* at my destination and increasing the throttle to be able to taxi to the gate, that particular BEEPing sound starts. I have yet to find a way to stop this annoying sound.

Is there something that I am not doing correctly after landing? For example a switch that I need to hit? Or is it something in the FMC that needs to be correctly set? (This add-on aircraft has most of the 737NG switches and settings, but it was made without a circut-breaker pannel).

Thank you for any help.

Trae.

Capt Chambo
29th Oct 2004, 11:43
The intermittent horn (beeping sound) that you hear is the Take Off configuration warning horn. It is there to warn pilots that either: flaps are not set for take-off, the park brake is set, the spoilers are up (the speedbrake lever is not fully down), or the stabiliser trim is not in the "green band" (a setting for take-off).

The horn will only sound when the poweer is in the region of 60-70% N1 (it's actually triggered by thrust lever angle IIRC). This is far more than needed to taxi in after landing, where 30% should be more than enough, and is well below the threshold for setting off the config. warning.

Bottom line: after landing, taxi using idle to 30% power and that should stop the noise.

Hope that helps.

madox605
29th Oct 2004, 11:51
Capt Chambo,

Thank you very much for your response. I'll take a look at my N1 setting next time.

If only you knew how much this has annoyed me ;)

Trae.

witchdoctor
31st Oct 2004, 16:00
Capt C

I believe madox may have purchased the Ryanair version, and so 60% N1 is a mandatory requirement. The beeping is usually silenced by the gnashing and wailing of unhappy crews, or the terrified screams of the great unwashed. ;) For a mere £20K, that nice Mr O'Leary will provide you with some ear defenders to silence the beeping in the absence of the £100K crew/pax add-on, whilst maintaining full operating authenticity. He may even be generous enough to add in a big stick to beat yourself with in order to feel completely at home. :}

(Apologies to all Ryanair crews who are unable to laugh at themselves).

Capt Chambo
1st Nov 2004, 07:10
witchdoctor:

tres amusant! Presumably the Ryanair version is also without the auto "V1" callout, to avoid confusion on the taxiways!

Likewise:-(Apologies to all Ryanair crews who are unable to laugh at themselves)