PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin Jackets

AerBabe
22nd Oct 2004, 09:33
I would like to buy a sheepskin flying jacket. Not to wear with my helmet and grow bag when I fly a Cessna, but to wear when I'm Thrustering. Yes, I've tried wearing various combinations of jackets and jumpers, but I still get cold. After the last adventure Genghis and I had, when I was almost frozen solid and he was sickeningly cheery, I decided enough was enough... I'm going to invest in a proper jacket.

No, I'm not going to use it to pose around the airfield. Not that there's anyone much to pose to where the Thruster is based. And no, I won't be sewing on various cloth badges.

So... does anyone have any recommendations? The search facility leads to lots of people suggesting Aviation Leathercraft, but there must be alternatives. My main problem is I may need it custom-made or adjusted. I have a relatively short back and long arms. No comments about Orangutans please!

Please don't let this turn into another 'outfit-bashing' thread. :rolleyes:

jayteeto
22nd Oct 2004, 10:23
I had one of the 'Irvine/Irving'? style jackets a few years ago. It was so good, I couldn't wear it unless it was minus five outside!! I ended up selling it and buying a less toastie leather.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Oct 2004, 10:31
I'm not going to suggest you shouldn't buy one - and hope you get some good suggestions, but as an aside there are a couple of things that you can buy in a motorbike shop that will make a big difference.

The first is a really good pair of gloves - I use a pair designed (I was told) for moped riders, which lack the (irritating) kevlar armour that you get on many motorcycle gloves, but are still extremely warm and (just) thin enough to operate switches. These can be supplemented with a pair of silk inner gloves from the same source.

The other is a thin balaclava designed to go inside your helmet - your head is the single biggest source of heat-loss and this makes a huge difference.

But, Irvin jackets are wonderful things, and I'd not be without mine! There are various patterns available - some more authentic than others. I would recommend getting one with a reasonable flap across the front to avoid drafts, and a strap and buckle (there are usually two) across the collar so that you can have that up around your chin - otherwise the cold drafts around your neck are horrible in some open cockpits.

G

AerBabe
22nd Oct 2004, 10:59
Genghis - Thanks for that. I have been looking around for a reasonable balaclava. It might help my helmet chin-strap fit better too... I've got some Polartec 100 gloves which fit nicely under my windproof ones - next time I fly, I'll try that combination.

Break Even
22nd Oct 2004, 11:19
Aerbabe, check your PMs

Kolibear
22nd Oct 2004, 11:24
No, I'm not going to use it to pose around the airfield

yes you will!!

But seriously, I'm quite surprised that the hang gliding/microlight community haven't solved this problem with some sort of padded windproof overall maybe?

If you get a sheepskin jacket, don't you think there';s a chance that your bottom half will get cold?

I bought a padded sweatshirt for birding and that worn under a Barbour was excellent, totally windproof and very warm.

PS Theres's no chance that you could get mistaked for an Arboreal Bornean Primate, your hair is the wrong colour. But a Gorilla, now thats far more likely.

AerBabe
22nd Oct 2004, 11:29
Koli - Are you suggesting that we can improve on nature? :suspect: The microlighting community has come up with an interesting solution - a range of heated clothing which plugs into a lighter socket. It's still not cheap though, and how many aircraft have such a socket? As for the lower half, I tend not to get so cold there - I have some winter walking gear which has been fine so far.

As for comments about gorillas... did you want to get onto the airfield ever again? :confused:

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Oct 2004, 11:30
Actually they have, most commonly referred to by the most common brand name of "Ozee".

http://www.ozee.co.uk/

They are however still a lot of money, and totally impractical for wearing outside a cockpit. Does save taking a sleeping bag with you though.

G

http://www.ozee.co.uk/images/exeat.jpg

Kolibear
22nd Oct 2004, 11:47
did you want to get onto the airfield ever again

And how is your car?

:O :O

skua
22nd Oct 2004, 12:31
Sorry to move off topic a little.

I have a trusty old leather flying jacket that I would hate to give up, but the quilted lining is now falling apart. Has anybody got any ideas of somewhere that could repair it?

Thanks

Skua

sycamore
22nd Oct 2004, 12:55
A-B,take a walk around the market tomorrow, and I`m sure you`ll find a stall selling one-piece/two-piece ski-suits , or similar motor cycling gear.Then there`s the silk` long-johns` and thermal vest to consider !!!!:ok:

Kolibear
22nd Oct 2004, 13:02
Preferably in a nice Burberry check..

AerBabe
22nd Oct 2004, 13:09
Kolibear And how is your car? Is that a threat? :ouch:

Sycamore - I'm pleasantly surprised, I was expecting something much more tongue-in-cheek from you. :p

sycamore
22nd Oct 2004, 13:14
A-B
I thought `fuchsia-pink` actually, to match the colour of your cheeks on a cold and frosty morn..!!!!!!!!

AerBabe
22nd Oct 2004, 13:28
You haven't seen my cheeks on a cold and frosty morn. ;)

ChampChump
22nd Oct 2004, 13:36
AB, a useful source for silk balaclavas, gloves and glove liners is www.patra.com. I've used their gloves for years, but looking at the balaclava model, I've just noticed a slight potential problem, or maybe it's the way he wears it...

Cheap, too!

Happy flying
n.

:D

QNH 1013
22nd Oct 2004, 13:39
Hi Aerbabe, The simplest solution, in all but the very coldest weather, is to wear extra layers underneath your flying suit. The only things you then need to worry about are those that Genghis has already pointed out; gloves and something around your neck.

I fly Tiger Moths (up to 14 flights a day) and I find an Irvin too cumbersome, but others swear by them. We have to wear helmets (company rule) so my uncarpeted head doesn't normally suffer. If its raining, I put an old waxed jacket on over the top of my flying suit. I find my jaw gets the coldest, with the result that on a really cold day my speech gradually declines until it sounds as if I've had an injection at the dentist.

Tricks:
1. Tuck the first pair of trousers into your socks - stops drafts.
2. Wrap newspapers round your lower legs under first pair of trousers. (only needed on very coldest days)
3. Don't go into a warm room during the day until your flying is completed.
4. Be happy in your work.

MLS-12D
22nd Oct 2004, 14:51
I had one of the 'Irvine/Irving'? style jackets a few years ago. It was so good, I couldn't wear it unless it was minus five outside!! I ended up selling it and buying a less toastie leather.The genuine Irvin jackets (http://www.flying-jacket.com/irvind.asp) are now available in a lightweight version.

If you get a sheepskin jacket, don't you think there';s a chance that your bottom half will get cold? There are matching trousers available, although I don't think most people bother.

tmmorris
22nd Oct 2004, 15:16
Skua - I did see someone advertising in one of the pilot catalogues, yes - try Transair, AFE, The Flying Shop, Pilot Warehouse et al. Come to think of it though, it could have been Sporty's (US only...)

Tim

montster
22nd Oct 2004, 15:51
Might be worth looking at thermals for skiing. I've got some (Lowe Alpine I think) that keep me pretty warm stuck on a lift in a howling gale at 10,000ft, so are probably ideal for microlighting :D

futurshox
22nd Oct 2004, 21:21
AerBabe, you list yourself as being in Essex - take a drive up to Norfolk, and visit Cirrus (http://cirrus.co.uk/index.php). They make great jackets in a variety of styles. I have an Irvine-style one and it is so toasty warm! The best item of clothing I own. They are very good, you can go to the factory and they will measure you up. It's worth doing this as the measurements I took were nothing like theirs.... and the jacket fits great.

stiknruda
22nd Oct 2004, 22:52
AB - Cirrus (nice folk) are 3 miles from me so you could in theory fly up and I'll run you down there or leave a bike with directions!

Stik

redsnail
23rd Oct 2004, 14:10
Aerbabe,
Why not try ebay? Go to ebay.co.uk and search for sheepskin flying jackets. (category "clothes, shoes, Accessories")
I got mine second hand from my chief pilot for £80. Sure it isn't a you beaut genuine thingo but it's fair dinkum sheepskin and it's as warm as toast. :D

AerBabe
24th Oct 2004, 07:38
Asked our man with the huge toy collection yesterday (Beech Staggerwing, Mustang, Spitfire...), and he gets his from Eastman (http://www.eastmanleather.com/).

AerBabe
6th Dec 2004, 10:34
Oh dear. I went to visit AL at Thruxton on Friday morning. I thought I really ought to try a jacket on while I was there... It will be ready in about two weeks. :oh:

Kolibear
6th Dec 2004, 14:21
Did you get the matching slippers ?

Rallye Driver
6th Dec 2004, 17:14
So you managed to lure AerSenior Pop out for his jolly then! :E

RD :ok:

IO540
6th Dec 2004, 20:29
This is the first and last "clothes" thread I am going to read :O but SURELY there is far better outdoor clothing on the market today??

What about a decent Polartec fleece. The best one is under £100, 1/3 of the cost of a leather jacket from a pilot shop, and far warmer. They come in three grades, 100, 200 and 300. A #200 is OK for most of the year and a #300 is fine for freezing temperatures with just a T-shirt underneath. There are also extra-windproof versions.

This is what all serious outdoor people wear. The stuff is light and ultra breathable and with Goretex or whatever on the outside, 100% waterproof. It can be expensive but isn't as bad as the leather jackets from Transair. Outdoor clothing has undergone a huge revolution in the last 5 years. I used to have leather gear (in motorbike days and since) and chucked it all out, together with pullovers, sweaters, all that sort of stuff.

There are Polartec gloves too. It's the biz and one can live in it all year round :O