PDA

View Full Version : displaced threshold lighting ?

tomgil
13th Oct 2004, 01:35
Can anyone describe displaced threshold lighting to me.
My Jeppesen does not show it and I can't find it anywhere.

Also since you at it, what's the procedure to land at night without landing light ????

Thank you in advance for all that information.
I'm trying to learn and it dosn't go easy
:p

tmmorris
13th Oct 2004, 08:43
2. is easy - advise ATC if possible (i.e. if you haven't had a total electrical failure) then just get on with it. Beware the black hole effect - look at the runway perspective not the ground in front of you, or you will fly into the runway... You should have practised this for your night qualification anyway.

1. - not sure, someone else will know...

Tim

Chilli Monster
13th Oct 2004, 09:26
Displaced threshold lighting.

The simple answer is - normally there isn't any. If you think about it there's no real need. During the day you can see the whole paved surface, hence the requirement to mark it with the large arrows that you see pointing towards the threshold. At night however all you can see are the lights, so you start the standard runway lighting (edge lights and green threshold bars) from the start of the displaced threshold and any approach lighting will be flush fitted into the unuseable landing area. (Flush fitted because this area can still be used for take off and sometimes taxying.

There are occasions this area is required to be lit in which case it will be delineated by red edge lighting visual from the direction of the approach. This lighting will be one way - from the other direction it will probably be white lighting with the red 'end' lights at the start of the displaced area because it can still be used as runway if taking off from the other end.

Have a look at the Aeronautical Ground Lighting section of CAP637 - Visual Aids Handbook (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP637.pdf) which will show it much better than can be explained.

TheOddOne
13th Oct 2004, 09:32
Displaced Threshold Lighting...

At night, you shouldn't see anything diferent about runway lighting for a displaced threshold.

A displaced threshold means that the start of that part of the runway available for landing is inset or 'displaced' from the beginning of the total surface available. This can be for a variety of reasons, perhaps because the beginning part isn't maintained but more usually because the final part of the approach is obstructed by buildings or electricity pylons etc.

The threshold will be marked by a row of green lights at 90 deg to the direction of travel i.e. across the runway. The white side lights will start at this point. The end of the Landing Distance Available will be marked by a row of red lights across the runway. It may well be that there are side lights before the threshold if it is displaced; these are for the benefit of pilots using the full length for departure and should be coloured red. Lighting provided for glideslope guidance, such as Precision Approach Path Indicators (PAPI) should give guidance to the aiming point of the displaced runway, not the full length. This describes the lighting for a basic 'visual' runway.

Any other runway lighting, in place if it is a precision instrument runway, such as centreline, touchdown zone or stop-end cautionary zone lights, will look the same whether the threshold is displaced or not.

hope this helps - ask again if not

Cheers,
The Odd One

Chilli Monster

Sorry, trod on your reply!!! (if you see what I mean)
Cheers,
TheOddOne

Sir George Cayley
13th Oct 2004, 20:59
Edge lighting from the start of TORA towards a displaced threshold in the UK is white.

Red is an international standard contained in ICAO Annex 14.

Have a look at Manchester. Plenty of photos on Airliners.net. Gatwick and others I'm sure are the same from (hazy) memory.

Its shown in CAP 637

Sir George Cayley

Chilli Monster
13th Oct 2004, 21:08
Edge lighting from the start of TORA towards a displaced threshold in the UK is white.

Red is an international standard contained in ICAO Annex 14.

Yep - and the original query came from someone not in the UK ;) (Always pays to read the posters location).

silverknapper
13th Oct 2004, 22:16
I always find a night landing better without the light. It forces you to take the whole perspective. With the light on ground rush becomes a factor as does just staring at the bit of tarmac you can see, usually resulting in an arrival. Could just be me though.
Just get the head out, eyes to the end of the runway and it'll be fine. Easier at a field with centre line lights.

M609
13th Oct 2004, 22:57
he threshold will be marked by a row of green lights at 90 deg to the direction of travel i.e. across the runway

Not allways, if there for some reason is no "flush" lights, there will be a row of green lights om each side of the displaced thr.
(5-6 on each side)

Cabotage Kid
14th Oct 2004, 06:48
I always find a night landing better without the light. It forces you to take the whole perspective.
I agree, well I don't find it easier just no different. On a wide runway it is easier as the peripheral vision is naturally better at judging flare...IMHO of course :)

Night flying season just around for the corner. Love It!

:D

panjandrum
14th Oct 2004, 09:29
According to CAP168 (ie:UK)

Runway Edge lights should be white except:

b) Where a threshold is displaced, the lights between the beginning of the runway and the displaced threshold should show red in the approach direction.

niknak
14th Oct 2004, 19:38
Cabbotage and Silverknapper -

Landing at night without the light? let us know next time you're over this way - it'll save a fortune in electricity not having any runway lights switched on:p

sharpshot
17th Oct 2004, 18:27
I hope this helps! The night time shot shows the SALS - Supplementary App Light system leading in to the Thr. Wingbars

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/2d61dd02.jpg

We were low on this app to vacate exit past the PAPI's!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/1827da0e.jpg

Chilli Monster
17th Oct 2004, 21:27
Just to point out here - SALS are not an indication of a displaced threshold, but a requirement if the runway is served by a Cat II or III ILS - same as the White Touch Down Zone lights you can see.