PDA

View Full Version : Millitary Pukes

JackOffallTrades
10th Sep 2004, 19:26
Why can an airforce pilot come and join an airline after retiring from a career in the airforce with very little heavy jet experience when, now that I am past the age of 24, I cannot go and fly a heavy jet in the airforce with 1000s of hours experience.

This seems a bit an@l to me.

I hear stories of pilots flying for the american airlines one day, and then flying a USAF F15 the next.

:yuk:

niknak
10th Sep 2004, 22:31
Jack,

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but, in the UK, to gain any partial exemption from taking the whole CAA ATPL course, an ax - military pilot must have at least 2000 hours under their belt.
Even then they are required to take certain parts of the ATPL course and have no exemptions from the Crew Resourse Management section - which for some ex military people is very hard to take in :p .
It's not the breeze that you think it may be, although their previous experience in flying jet or heavy turboprop aircraft, is a big factor in their favour.

At 24, you say you have 1000s of hours experience.

On what type of aircraft?

I think, therein, lies the difference.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Sep 2004, 08:20
Don't the Americans still have an Air National Guard that works in a similar fashion to our VR or TA over here - a kind of part-time military backup which can be called upon in emergency? I'm sure I read that many US civilian pilots are also members of the ANG, which might account for driving an airliner one day and a military type the next..

An ATC friend of mine is in the RAFVR and often bombs about in helicopters, but I don't think as a pilot..

Arthur's Wizard
11th Sep 2004, 10:25
The difference between us and the Americans is numbers. We have very few aircraft in relation to our yank friends yet, if you know anything about the RAF you will know that we have more personnel to aircraft than any other air force in the world.

We don't need part time pilots, we have too many full time one's!

con-pilot
11th Sep 2004, 17:32
There are a lot of pilots for US flag carrier airlines to fly, say a 737, as a full time job and then one weekend a month fly an F-15 or an F-16 etc. They are members of either the Air Force Reserves or the Air National Guard. Very common here in the US

Vee One...Rotate
11th Sep 2004, 17:48
con-pilot,

What a great life that'd be :)

V1R

fernytickles
12th Sep 2004, 19:25
"What a great life that'd be"

I'll say! One guy I know of flies an F-something-very-fast (dunno which type) for the military while furloughed from the airlines, and flies vintage bombers and fighters - now thats the life!!! :ok:

corsair
12th Sep 2004, 20:10
There are plenty of Lawyers and Engineers etc flying for the ANG and Air Force Reserve. Not all of them fly for the airlines as a day job. some are ex airforce but many were never full time airforce. Probably the best hobby in the world. Flying jet fighters at the weekend.

Wigan Warrior
12th Sep 2004, 21:10
Jack

The thing with the Airforce is that, whilst basically, anyone can be taught to fly, not everyone can use the flying platforms tactically and make the correct tactical decisions in an instant without having to struggle with the art of flying. The rigorous selection processes and training regimes are geared toward weeding out the people that don’t posses the right stuff.
Military tactical flying isn’t the same as taking Kylie and Jason from Stanstead to Spain for their annual week in the sun. Being able to fly a 737 (or the like) from A to B doesn’t mean you have the right stuff – just that you have thrown enough time and money in the right direction.
It isn’t so much being an@l as being very cautious with the tax payers money.
The training is very expensive as are the platforms.
As for the Americans, their ‘part-time’ aviators are ex full-time USAF / USN / Marines/ Army Pilots…with very, very few exceptions. Although they are minted and paranoid about defence – even they aren’t stupid enough to put a 737 pilot with no military flying experience / training in charge of a Harrier.

411A
13th Sep 2004, 06:50
Hmm, a bit strong perhaps, but then again the shoe fits a few...to a great degree.

Many of these guys from fast jets certainly can not be put in charge of anything in the civvy airline business, except perhaps sweeping the hangar floor.

Much training is needed to knock the cr@p military ideas out of 'em. Certainly can be done, and once done...they generally measure up to civvy guys in all respects.:suspect: :E

the_flying_cop
13th Sep 2004, 09:45
we have some ex military types in our field. whilst they are very able chaps they seem to struggle with the fact that they are 'only the driver' and whilst in command of the kite, are that the tactical decisions are made by the rozzers. they also have a tendanct to shout "missiles away" trying to drop weapons when the camera crosshairs are on a vehicle.

this is beaten out of them with a long pointy stick until they eventually conform to our demands.

however, on the plus side its always nice to fly at super low level over the hills, which some of our civilian bred pilots dont feel comfy with.

basically the moral of the story is that we love our pilots, but we love giving them stick even more !!!!!

jayteeto
13th Sep 2004, 10:32
Silberfuchs is a bit extreme, but he has some valid points. We are all different..... talented, but different. Think back to the original question and remember it is not who are the best pilots. It is, why can't I fly military transports? The truth is harsh, but you need some particular extra skills and attitudes to fly military into potential harms way. THIS DOES NOT QUESTION YOUR ABILITY TO FLY BIG JETS and Yes, you may very well be a better commercial pilot than the ex military man. Remember also, that ex mil people have had years of documented assessments to look back on, not everyone is invited back!! As a new boy, you do not have the wonderful F5000 flying record folder to show you are trustworthy.

411A
13th Sep 2004, 11:48
And yes, sadly, the latter are more difficult.

The civvy guys receive the ops manual, and it says quite clearly...at xxxx airline, we do it THIS way..., period.

No arguments from them.

The ex-mil guys (speaking only fast jet guys here, the transport chaps are not a 'problem') tend to believe that the ops manual is written only for others, not them.
And, their training generally has to be extended, so as to get 'em to work as a team, not a one man show.

This costs the airline vital time and resources, that they simply do not have to expend on strictly civvy guys/gals.

This 'one man show' usually follows thru on line training as well, and it soon becomes quite clear that the attitude gets in the way, nearly every time.

When line training these ex-mil chaps, I usually mentioned...shape up or ship out.

Worked every time.

In short, the ex-mil guys flying ability was not the difficulty, it was the attitude.

A bit like those from the old BOAC, beak firmly stuck well above ground effect.:uhoh:

The Otter's Pocket
13th Sep 2004, 12:39
Could I fly for the US Reserve forces. One of those F52s would be a bit of a lark.
OK I am an English Man. However with our "Special Relationship" with the USA, do you think that they would allow me to do the same.
Possibly like the TA, one weekend a month and a two week camp a year, preferably in Florida, now that would suit me down to the ground. Maybe a bounty at the end of each year and a travel allowance. (Imagine the hourly rate). :ok:

jayteeto
13th Sep 2004, 12:59
411A.... Did you read the original question? This is not a 'we are better than you' argument...... Is it? Or did the military turn you down...... That is banter by the way, not a serious insult!! However if you keep on this slagging the FJ boys (I'm not) that is the way the thread will go. That is a Harry Ramsden super chip you seem to have.

airborne_artist
13th Sep 2004, 13:07
Why can an airforce pilot come and join an airline after retiring from a career in the airforce with very little heavy jet experience when, now that I am past the age of 24...

You can join the Royal Navy for pilot training up to the age of 26.

BEagle
13th Sep 2004, 13:40
Well, as an ex-Mil pilot I think that 411A has a very valid point. Please note that he is not tarring all ex-military people with the same brush.

But if someone is not receptive to line training, and still think's he's the finest 'aviator' who ever flew and that the old civvy puke in the other seat is a waste of golden gloves' time, then he should indeed shut up or ship out!

Stick and rudder skill set is always a high priority in the military; enthusiasm to adapt to a different way of life when you've been seeing yourself as the 'best of the best' all your life is perhaps not an easy pill for some to swallow!

Fortunately there aren't many UK FJ pilots with such an attitude; the 'wrong stuff' bull$hit trotted out by Learmouth of Flight magazine is utter bolleaux. Most FJ pilots fly in a multi-crew environment anyway - it's just that there are usually 4 FJ mates in 2 or 4 different jets acting as a single team. And that's probably why the ex-Reds do so well in the airlines; not because they've got hundreds of hours in tight formation but beacuse they've got hundreds of hours in a team.

To gain the full ATPL credit in the RAF, you have to have achieved 2000hrs total military flight time, have graduated from an approved conversion unit (eg C130, TriStar, VC10 etc), have at least 1500 hours on that a/c of which at least 1000 must have been P1C. Then you pass a Class 1 medical, pass Air Law, fly a military IR to CAA requirements with a CAA IRE observing (and that means a lot of hand-flying!), fill out the form, pay the money and wait for the licence. You are credited the MCC. But a FJ mate with 2000TT has to take additional exams, has to do MCC, has to do a an IR in something like a PA34.....and ends up with a CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge (known as a 'frozen' ATPL). Not untl he has flown 500 hours as co-pilot on a multi-crew a/c can he upgrade to ATPL!

PS - He or she, of course!

FlightDetent
13th Sep 2004, 14:16
May I pretty please have (for a reason) a link to an official document you gain your knowledge from, speaking entirely of the last paragraph. I am sure it is dug somwhere ... ´just could not find it.

Thanks FD.

BEagle
13th Sep 2004, 14:41
See LASORS section D3.3B and D3.6. You can download LASORS from the CAA website as a .pdf , the TGDA website is currently out of date and being re-written.

JackOffallTrades
13th Sep 2004, 16:46
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Nothing like training with a big stick!!

Just cos I said I had passed the age of 24 (26 too!) doesn`t mean I cant have over 3000 hrs civvy jet time.

Just wanna know why one can start a career with the military, and then end it with an airline, but not the other way round.... Basically, if you`ve got the abillity to both then why can you not do the military thing last?
Or am I being a bit dumb..... Cant possibly ask an old git to fight a war.

Before you ask I was never turned down by the military. Couldn`t have been.... I never applied. Besides, I would have been too good anyway!!!

He he he he

:E :E :E

jayteeto
13th Sep 2004, 17:01
Jack, taken in the spirit it was meant to be... Nice one :D

Jimmenycricket
13th Sep 2004, 17:37
If you are an 'old git' like you said, then that is the problem. The airforce can't afford to put pilots through it's training program, and then have them leave in five years because they are too old to fly. Really, it's kind of like a business. They want to put the money into someone they think will want to stay around for a long time. For me it is frustrating because I am not allowed to fly at all for Canada's military because I wear glasses. I have searched for a long time for ways around that, and there are very few. The really frustrating part is that there are pilots in the military with glasses, they just didn't need them when they applied. That pill is a little hard for me to swallow. Any ideas as to how to get around that? The recruiter said I needed military flight experience. Does that mean that if I fly for another airforce that they will take me?

cyrus
13th Sep 2004, 19:30
411A gets predictable criticism for his remarks about ex-military fast jet pilots but he probably makes a valid point.

I have often wondered why someone who was motivated and able to fly military fighters would want to fly civilian air transport because, in comparison, it must be about as interesting as watching paint dry. If it is purely for the money, I can understand but one needs the right motivation in order to present the right attitude in training and maybe that is where the problem is. However, I cannot believe that an ex-pilot from two-seat fighters would have much problem with teamwork.

Personally, I considered air transport flying after 6000hrs on fighters and decided that it was not for me – I get bored in the pax cabin but there at least you can drink and watch a movie.

If I had started out civilian air transport I might well have wanted to fly military later but training older pilots in the military is a nightmare, even type conversion if it involves a change of role. It is simply not enough in the military to be able to follow the ops manual but teamwork should and normally is second nature.

joe2812
13th Sep 2004, 21:30
In the Military, you are (90% of the time) an Officer before you are a pilot. Maybe that's why it can't go Civvy - Mil ?

Military pilots may/may not be the best (thats up to you), but before they could even get to the stage of flying, they were stripped down and rebuilt as military personnel. It's my belief (from various family and friends who are seving and ex-mil) that once you come round to the military way of life, you're stuck there.

To go Mil - Civvy, you have the flying skills but a different attitude, a more 'tactical' way of thinking (for want of a better word) than your civilian counterparts.

To go Civvy - Mil, not only will you have to be retrained flying-wise to calculate quicker, react faster, learn new terminology etc for the cockpit, you need to learn a new way of life, become a new person entirely and recognise that you no longer represent your airline, but your country and those around you.

Pilots are elite be they civilian or military, if you're lucky enough to become one then you appreciate the hard work involved. Each have their own ups, downs, positives and negatives, but at the end of the day you're all in the same fold (ish).

To sum up my ramblings, the military demand you change your persona, civilians do not, hence why changing an ex-civ at 25-40 will be so much harder than vice versa. Ontop of that i'd rather have a pilot who thinks more 'outside the box' that by the book all the time. I'd trust military guys more than civilians in a stressful situation purely from their military training.

Hope that makes sense... :\

Tarnished
13th Sep 2004, 21:55
Surely the old addage of "there are no bad students only bad instructors" needs to be considered here. If an airline recruits a new pilot, be he ex-mil FJ, ex-mil truckie, civvie self improver or a transfer from another airline each will need a certain amount of training, some more than others, but not all the same training. If we were all the same and could be trusted to all do the same as the next pilot in each and every situation then training would be easy.

If one pilot of whatever experience and whatever responsibility can ever look at another pilot with less experience and less responsibility and say to himself "I have nothing to learn from this persons experience" then he is at wat. We are all learning (or should all be learning) from each and every person we encounter in this business.

A vast amount of effort, time and expense has been expended to get each and every one of us into the profession or pastime of aviation and to date no one has ever learnt all there is to learn. There are many ways to achieve the objectives, ops manuals, order books, rules and regs are all there for the guidance of the aircrew, but there is no substitue for experience. Ain't no book ever been written wot tells me what to do in every situation.

Sad to say it is too often the case that a transgression of the "rules" is viewed as a criminal offence rather than viewed in the context of how and why it occured.

Just because the books says how to do it does not mean it is the only way to achieve something, reasoned, rational and free thought should be a commodity to be cherished.

Horses for courses.

Mad_Mark
13th Sep 2004, 22:32
Before you ask I was never turned down by the military. Couldn`t have been.... I never applied.

So why so much interest now then?

The mil recruit you not only as a pilot but as a tactician with the ability to think not only about flying the aircraft but fighting it and surviving in it. This generally means that people with the right abilities have to be taken in young and trained for several years for the role, be they pilot or any other type of mil aircrew.

Mad Mark!!! :mad:

JackOffallTrades
13th Sep 2004, 23:37
I was kind of settled in my company gaining seniority, driving a nice car to work and breaking stewardesses hearts. Why would I want to throw myself into world war 3 or a nutty roller coaster?

Read the question.

On paper.

Theoretically.

Why is it not possible?

Can any politicians tell me?

:hmm:

Mowgli
14th Sep 2004, 00:48
JackOff

There have been some valid answers given - my thoughts:

1. An older guy learning to be a Fast Jet pilot would find it tougher; it is physically and mentaly demanding and requires determination. It is much easier to learn when younger.

2. I imagine a recruiter would find a candidates motivation suspect if he'd waited years as an adult before deciding to apply.

3. There is a high fail rate in training due to the demands of the job, so they aim a trainee for FJ and although he may not make that he may make an excellent transport pilot or chopper guy. ergo they don't need to recruit people who join only wanting to fly the bigger stuff.

4. I am sorry that some ex FJ guys disappoint their civvy colleagues on the attitude side of things. IMHO there are people with bad attitudes from all backgrounds, but hopefully they are in the minority. It would be helpful if everyone would see as they find and not have preconceived ideas about pilots from different backgrounds.

5. I believe it is healthy to have a range of past flying experience in the civvy world. We all can learn from each other. The military pilots ethos is all about teamwork whatever they fly.

6. 411A - thankyou for your comments. I try hard to follow the ops manual. I also try and learn from my more experienced colleagues who have earnt the right to occupy the left seat. I am pleased to say that few of them display the preconceived ideas concept that I mentioned in para 4 - how about you?

7. Why do so many on these threads throw mud at each other - ok sometimes it's amusing. Wouldn't we be better occupied discussing how to maintain or improve our conditions, our job security and our status in an industry where all these things are on the slide?

Fox_4
14th Sep 2004, 08:55
411a

You sound like the kind of guy every fighter pilot worldwide would love to meet in the bar at happy hour. I think it would be reeeeeeally interesting to hear of your daring exploits shooting an ils to 27R with a bit of turbulence, oh how the auto pilot and throttles worked hard!

You sum up all that is negative about a fraction of a percent of bitter, civvy pilots who always wanted that FJ seat but didnt have the balls to try for it or were knocked back before getting near it and are now too twisted to admit the fact that was their dream job.

Our job is great and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Maybe see you on the radar when Im off to do a multi aicraft combat sortie and you are on your 3rd leg of your 6 hop regional commute that got you up at 4am. Get upside down once in a while it may change your attitude.

:mad: :cool: :mad:

Dan Winterland
14th Sep 2004, 09:46
Intersestingly, it works the other way round too. In my time as a military instructor, I have flown with two RAF students who had commercial licences prior to joining. One was great. A nice guy who enjoyed his time flying helicopters over the North Sea, but accepted that if he wanted to be a fighter pilot he was going to have to do all the early exercises again. As it is, he enjoyed it . He realised the style of flying was so different to his previous experience, he had to re-learn. He didn't find it taxing, he got on with it, did well and had a ball.

The other, who had a CPL form another country and who had done instruction and charter work was completely different. He had a real attitude about learning to fly a different way. He could not accept that he had to fly the JP and thought he should go to Valley on joining. He would not accept advice, and would frequently pick up his instructors on points he considered wrong - and their instructional techniques. I ended up flying with him as a lot of my collegues refused to fly with him. He only just scraped through the course as he was only a mediocre pilot - despite his (over) confidence.

JOAT. I think the answer lies in thet the world of military flying is different enough (even at the military transport level) to make the transition without significant retraining impractical. Although flying a Tristar from Brize Norton to the Falklands is no different from flying a B747 from Heathrow to Rio de Janeiro, as a Tristar pilot you would also have to conduct Air to Air Refuelling operations which without a background in military aviation, would take a while to learn - not just the operation, but the style of operation as well.

It's a case of old dogs and new tricks which in part makes the prospect unviable.

411A
14th Sep 2004, 13:36
Fox_4,

You have seemed to demonstrate rather well my quite valid points about FJ guys and their 'attitude problems'.
I have trained several, and the problems they have created for both the company they now work for, as well as the other crew members they work with (or, rather attempt to work with) have both generated thick personal files of rather negative comments.

In nearly every case, these particular guys just seem to have a difficulty getting on with the job, such is their "I can do it better than you" opinions.

Civil airlines would do well to avoid ex-mil FJ pilots in their selection process, and in so doing, advise 'em to stick with what they really like to do best...fly fast jets.

Tester07
14th Sep 2004, 16:07
Oh dear, Fox 4. You seem to have endorsed the point that 411a was making quite nicely!

El Mirador
14th Sep 2004, 16:24
411A
Rather a generalistic approach wouldn't you say?
I can see that there would be good and bad in all areas and find it rather unfair to tar them all with the same brush.
Quote:
"Civil airlines would do well to avoid ex-mil FJ pilots in their selection process"

Well I know of at least one who's flying capabilities have been recognised in both a single seat capability (R.A.F.) and Boeing arenas.
This pilot is a joy for colleagues to fly with and they are assured of getting the job done with this particular person. No arrogance, no nonsense...

Maybe a course in C.R.M would suit you....I know a great Ex F.J pilot who runs courses in the airlines. Oh and is an airline pilot now.

If I was flying as a passenger I would view an ex f.J as no different than any other pilot...After all how many people have done a hard-loop-reach- for-the-skies-lost-him-in-the-sun....mega negative-g-roll in a 767??????
Well in that case they can't all be that bad!
Some are some are not.
Don't write everybody off!

Gelderd
14th Sep 2004, 16:47
Very rarely, in fact probably once, have I posted. I do feel compelled, however, to contribute to this completely worthless thread.

I'm ex RAF FJ (12 yrs), now 2yrs right hand seat civvy. Love(d) both jobs, both are challenging, and I work(ed) with good and bad guys.

What is the point of this thread? By the way, the title (unless tongue in cheek)....stinks.

Rant over!

cyrus
14th Sep 2004, 21:39
I guess Gelderd's inability to count his previous posts is about as clever as his unconstructive style of contributing.

411A seems to have wound up more than a few and produced some interesting points of view as a result - thankyou 411A.

In my many unhappy hours as self-loading freight I have always wanted nothing more than a well trained current pilot with above average ability up front in case the autopilot breaks during the emergency. My preconceived ideas indicated that an ex-FJ pilot with enough airline hours to make captain should surely fit those requirements.

Was I wrong and was my life more at risk than I thought?

Fox_4
15th Sep 2004, 20:16
411a

What was the point of the thread?! Civvies are better than mil pilots?!

Cant believe I bit on this. Its sapping my will to live just replying.

:zzz:

JackOffallTrades
16th Sep 2004, 16:33
The point of the thread was to ask a valid question....... And to see how much tension there really is between civvy an mil pilots. Think both questions have been answered quite well.

It's a shame civvy and mil pilots don't get on better. Perhaps there is a strong tendancy for pilots to respect other pilots more when they have a similar background to themselves. To the extent that they degenerate into a pompous yuppie bitchslapping green-eyed monster when sniffing even the slightest comment that could indirectly degrade their ego.

:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

West Coast
20th Sep 2004, 04:55
Funny enough I understood exactly the point Gelderd made. Sounds like an ok chap to spend a 4 day trip with unlike others here.

How recent is YOUR experience in airline flying?

chuks
20th Sep 2004, 06:54
I work for a British company, one that was started by an ex-Fleet Air Arm pilot, that had always preferred to hire ex-military people for reasons practical and sentimental, I guess. So I have come as close as possible to being immersed in talking the talk without having much of a clue how to walk the walk. I could give you the 15-minute presentation on flying a Shackleton from memory, having heard it every evening for two months at a time whilst under deep sedation. I even wear an RAF official wrist watch, albeit one that is made by Seiko! I drew the line at wearing the Irvine sheepskin jacket, though. It might look a bit dodgy when it's 35° in the shade.

We have two splits, ex-military/totally civvy and rotary-/fixed- wing. You can just imagine the wind-ups and slagging-offs that come out of this in the bar of a wet and windy evening.

Some of the biggest jerks I have flown with in my life have been people firmly mired in the 'When I....' groove. One fellow was laying it on very thick one night about his time at 60 feet and 500 knots in the mighty Buccaneer, so that I put on my best, corn-fed, stupid Yankee air to tell him that we had a lot in common. 'Yes!' I told him, 'I too used to fly my Cessna 150 at 60 knots and 500 feet during my brilliant career as a CFI.' You could see the gears grinding in his head as he tried to figure out whether I could possibly be taking the Michael there, or was I as stupid as he thought I was....

And, on the other hand, the best pilot and all-around good guy I have had the pleasure to work with was an ex-RAF fast jet pilot.

I don't think much of this generalising is much use, aside from seeing everyone wind each other up. Perhaps that was the main intention?

It is always nice to see 411A come out of his cave to hurl rocks at those who fail to measure up to his exacting standards. It makes me think of that little bird that comes flying out of the clock on the hour. Go get 'em, tiger!

ST4G
20th Sep 2004, 16:44
Having dragged my way through this thread (bored at work). It is interesting to see that all pilots Mil or civvy seem to be full of their own importance.

It reminds me of a colleague "that was a legend in his own lunchtime".

Now where do we go from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haughtney1
21st Sep 2004, 11:21
Just to put some more cats amongst the preverbial pigeons....I wonder if anyone considers how good a longtime agricultural flyer..(crop duster..top dresser etc..) would do in the military....they have to think tatically, dodge hazards, and generally react quickly.

Just a thought

Cheers H

jayteeto
21st Sep 2004, 16:14
Its a good start having those reactions. All he has to do is increase speed fourfold and get someone to shoot at him as well!! Must be mad to do that job, potential for birdstrike when the bird isn't flying!! :ooh:

FFP
21st Sep 2004, 18:43
Ah . . .. .the age old debate !

As a military guy going down the line of ATPL exams (gotta love those ELC's . . . :ok: ) I can see the self improvers side of the argument as we all jump into the RHS Long Haul with Virgin whilst your application gets pushed back out through the letterbox

BUT

Having done a bit of the FJ and a bit of the ME an hour in the cruise with the autopilot in has nothing on a one hour LL sortie.

Realise the military is not for everyone but you gotta realise that those that have done it have much to offer.

Fox 4

Hear you may be taking the Beamer down Ze Autobahn ?!?!?!
Someday, someway, you know ATPL groundschool is waiting for you . . . .:ok:

JW411
22nd Sep 2004, 20:23
I just wondered if I could get some balance into this discussion so here are my qualifications:

16 years on 4-engine transports in the RAF of which 10 years was on TacT (MR).

25 years in civil aviation of which 8 years has been on three-holers and the rest on four-holers.

For 20 of those years I have been a TRI/TRE or the military equivalent.

I have probably trained dozens of you out there who are reading this post right now (including many pilots who have ended up with BA). Not one of them has ever given me anything but praise for what I have taught them nor have I ever had an adverse comment since I entered into civil aviation.

The only time that I have encountered animosity towards military pilots IN TOTAL was from a character in GK who was known throughout the Company as the "Unaccompanied Minor" - especially by the cabin staff. I never really did work out what his problem was.

So what do I think? Military pilots have a lot to offer PROVIDED that they realise they are in a whole new ball game and that they start right at the bottom of the seniority list.

I have found civilian flying to be an absolute dawdle compared to TacT (MR). I have only had to shut down one engine in 25 years and I have never been asked or ordered to operate outside the realms of Performance 'A' and all that that implies.

The most difficult decision I have had to make in the last 25 years was whether to have the lobster or the fillet mignon!

411A
23rd Sep 2004, 03:51
PROVIDED being the operative word.

Sadly, many times it is not, with the FJ crowd I have met.
Keep 'em in the AirForce where they belong.
Leave civil aviation to the civilian trained...better for all around, in my view....and experience.
Many of the FJ folks just do not get along/belong in civil aircraft/airlines.
Boo hoo, poor babies....:{ :{ :{

PS: AF transport guys are a different kettle of fish altogether.
Team players all.

Jagbag
23rd Sep 2004, 07:34
411A

It amazes me to see how narrow minded and simplistic a person can be.

The truth of the matter is that there are various shades to every pilot. Ex Mil or civvy is irrelevant. Finally the person defines and decides what image he or she projects. Subsequently one suffers or enjoys the fruits of your self definition.

Just because you could not get across to your ex mil FJ associate doesnt mean u can paint everyone in the same colour.

Just for info self with 21 years in the mil -various roles as FJ and now 4 years in an airline as captain. I did feel that the military was exceedingly challenging at every step. However in civvy the challenge comes at certain times neverthless both experiences are/were interesting.

All I can say is grow up and get a life!

jayteeto
23rd Sep 2004, 11:06
411A, I am now not sure if you are serious or just fishing for someone to bite. If it is fishing then... oooops, I bit! If not you should look in the mirror sir....... I hope and pray that I never EVER fly with someone FJ, Slow Jet or even glider who has an attitude like yours. Always Broken In Wilts is an old crewmate of mine and he has much better phrases to describe bigoted people like yourself. EVERYONE is an individual, there are to**ers in all walks of aviation. I have met the most obnoxious FJ pilots but I have met aN EQUAL NUMBER of obnoxious 'other' pilots. Hang your head in shame.......

411A
23rd Sep 2004, 14:24
jayteeto,

Yes, would agree that there are various shades of blue (AF FJ guys) but have found that the majority are, quite frankly, not worth the bother, for civil airlines....with the proviso that, if the particular airline management is/has been run by prior AF guys, then birds of a feather flock together.

With most carriers this is not the case, so the FJ prima donnas just don't (as a general rule) fit in, with the few exceptions I noted above.

AF transport guys however, used to working in transport aircraft, working as a team very similar to guys in civil airlines, are much better suited to civil airline flying.

Having trained both for the RHS in two airlines, I have found that the civil and AF transport guys ...

Get along much better with other crew,
are easier and less expensive to train (ie, less sim time required),
and generally line training goes much smoother.

You might have a look at the military forum...BEagles comments are interesting as well.

Fox_4
23rd Sep 2004, 17:41
Arghhhhhhhh

Prima donnas! Listen to the living airline legend!

Great argument 411a, why not go enjoy a pint with your buddies instead of winding up mil pilots! Im sure you have opinions on lots of "interesting" topics. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

FFP - No mate. Beamer is staying put at the mo. Was only ever a small chance :cool: