PDA

View Full Version : saving money

j17
6th Oct 2001, 22:33
at a recent meeting about saving money at EGCC.it was suggested that the general manager and his minions, at least 7 other managers of different sorts give up their multi-storey car park passes and catch the bus like the rest of us. Of course fell on deaf ears and the person who suggested it was requested to pay the boss!! a visit. stuff the troops i am alright jack. For the moment

bagpuss lives
6th Oct 2001, 22:52
ahhhhhh j17 I suspect you were at the very same meeting as me and it was enough to make you ill wasn't it? http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/otn/happy/baicon6.gif

I actually like our GM it has to be said - at least he is honest and upfront in what he does and doesn't know. http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/cwm/cwm/smirk.gif

I do find it rather ironic though that we have to battle over paper, pens, fam flights and the like and yet certain managers are flapping cause they may have to get the bus with the great unwashed every morning.

Saying that, I bet a few of our managers are a tad bit worried as to their job prospects at the moment eh? http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/cwm/cwm/oogle.gif

BEXIL160
6th Oct 2001, 23:13
You folks up North might be interested to know that LATCC managers are about to give up their allocated car parking spaces at the front of the grid near the building. Out with the can of Black paint and they can all play the LATCC "find a space" game like the rest of us workers.

Rgds BEX

Loki
6th Oct 2001, 23:55
BEXIL

Don`t be fooled. Its obviously a plot by the hierarchy to avoid detection when the TAG axe starts to fall. Next thing you know they`ll be mingling with us in the coffee lounge and wearing more typical Latcc attire, and slagging off the ORO and generally behaving like the rest of us.

Do you think the car parking thing will spread to NERC?

Maineman
7th Oct 2001, 13:45
At an early stage it was put to NERC management that it should be a single status car park. The reply is un-printable.

Avoiding Action
7th Oct 2001, 21:22
Have they suggested introducing "Flow Control" in the car park yet? :D :D

Flight Plan Fixer
8th Oct 2001, 09:08
Or how about a Disney-style shuttle bus from the overflow car park?!
That blue NATS milk float thing would do... :D

TrafficTraffic
8th Oct 2001, 10:28
Good to see the BIG ISSUES being discussed here on PPRUNE.

Car Parking at LATCC....you guys kill me.

Personal Note; Organise Red Cross Food Parcels For LATCC staff

:cool:

chiglet
8th Oct 2001, 10:39
Actually tt,
It "was" an EGCC thread, but you aren't interested in us up north......fortunately :p
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Bright-Ling
8th Oct 2001, 10:44
Oh, how we have missed you TT.

TrafficTraffic
8th Oct 2001, 14:50
Sorry Chiglet,

I stand corrected. I apologise for the Rash Generalisation. :rolleyes:

Hey BL, how are you? I have been here but just, well lurking in the shadows, if you know what I mean......! I am not allowed to upset people on PPRUNE anymore, my therapist said I should find a different avenue to vent my frustrations....

But you know what its like, once your addicted....and they dont make PPRUNE patches to put on your arms yet to help you stop slowly.

And well never being one to pass up a good opportunity for a little baiting I thought this was a great thread, I mean 10s of thousands of people lose their jobs throughout the aviation industry and all your colleagues in Wales (Manchester is in Wales isnt it??? ;) ) can find to whinge about are the managers car parking spots.

I ask you....

Anyway Bex it was good to hear from you ....albeit as brief as it was.

Till next time
(Im sure it will be soon)

Be verwy verwy qwuiet I can hear somewun
twyping now... :) :)

squawk 6789
8th Oct 2001, 16:11
Right, stuff the car park pass issue!

Who gets a COMPANY CAR, let alone a parking space?
Who gets part paid in BONUSES for their year's "work"?
Who gave tacit approval to the concept of PPP and the subsequent mess we all find ourselves in? (not blaming said people for the catalyst for the mess, much as I'd love to contrive to!) The 80% who survive will think they've won the bloody lottery!
Do said people deserve what they receive for their work?

Now, who is still finding that traffic levels are at least what they were on September 10 and that their job is just as difficult now?
Which grade is being messed around over their rosters and, allegedly, intimidated over refusal to work their days off- and, apparently, for the temerity to ask a question at an open meeting?
Which grades are being lined up for a pay freeze because our new lords & masters are in more pooh than you could shake several sticks at!

Not knowing too much about anything I'll leave and hope that I've said enough to inspire a more knowledgeable, potent writer than myself to continue............

8th Oct 2001, 23:18
PAY FREEZE = TRAFFIC FREEZE

Try me.

BEXIL160
9th Oct 2001, 01:16
Ahh TrafficTraffic wondered where you were ;)

Naah, I'm not rising to any baiting anymore, as you'll have seen from another thread. Personalattacks are easy, solutions to problems often less palatable.

You used to have a thing about traffic presentation, and admittedly it isn't always brilliant but in my own opinion this has a lot to do with not appreciating what the recieving guy is trying to achieve as well as the recieving guy not understanding the problems of the sender. It works both ways. That why the END of liason visits on cost grounds is such a tragedy. These were opportunities to explain, and IMPROVE understanding both ways, which would benefit everyone, including the airlines.

Sigh....

rgds BEX

Sorry folks, a bit off topic..

250 kts
9th Oct 2001, 21:28
Back to the important issues of parking :D :D - I understand that the managers at Manchester who park in the multi-storey do so at a cost to NATS of around £2000 each/annum-a disgrace if this is true.

There is a certain WM at LATCC who refuses to use their allocated space and allows a first come first served to the members of the watch, as she believes the reserved system to be archaic.

TrafficTraffic
9th Oct 2001, 22:55
Aw come on Bex......Now you have made me really really angry. I have to agree with everything you said! I think you are right, a lot of ATC problems come down to not knowing the other persons job, whether that be driving the big jets the guys (or Gals) sitting in the centre across the ways... now how does 1 get into LATCC for a visit? (Obviuosly there would be no car parking on site!).

Thats right...back to the important issue...what HAVE the managers ever done for us? Apart from kept us in work....yes well apart from that....

Goldfish Watcher
10th Oct 2001, 00:10
If the managers stop using allocated parking bays, how we going to know which cars to let the tyres down on?

Great Unmanaged
10th Oct 2001, 14:45
The reserved parking spaces at LATCC are going to show that there is a new, more open management style on the way. Also, it could be that if there are no managers to fill them then the spaces will not be required anyway!

The £2000 a year spaces at CC will be gone before you know it. So will the number of managers with offices.

It frightens me to think that an ATCO (TT??) can be such a a complete idiot.

========

Lights off, PC's off, cat out, don't flush the loo, B747's take off using three engines unless stading room on a/c is full, ATCO's on a break double as security guards (team up with former LATCC management), canteen closes but three kebab stalls set up in former reserved car park area. TC project started to move TC to MT hangar.

=============

It was like that when I found it. :D

TrafficTraffic
11th Oct 2001, 10:00
Great Unmangaed,

Hello to you too.

I'm not sure what has elevated me in status from IDIOT to COMPLETE IDIOT but I assume you will let me know when you come off your medication.

I just thought that maybe, perhaps, if it isnt too much trouble you guys could concentrate on ATC, and discussing the allocation of car park spaces for your managers appears to be quite trivial (at least to those of us with at least as much common sense as a Cocker Spaniel).

Of course you and your colleagues should pursue this endeavour to your hearts content. Because you are doing a really good job of giving us ATC's a great public image.

I suppose as an ATC (if in fact you are one) you never ever ever receive in bonuses, perks, discounts, penalty payments, extra leave or allowances of any sort.

Do You??

:rolleyes:

Sorry Brightling and Bex.....I couldnt resist.....
:(

Great Unmanaged
11th Oct 2001, 14:55
Tragic Tragic.

The complete idiot handle comes from youself. My medication is just fine. Thanks for asking. :D

I am starting to think that you may be a manager......... With your own car space there in never never land.

torpids
11th Oct 2001, 21:51
Now just a minute TrafficTraffic, my best friend happens to be a cocker
spaniel and frankly I will not stand by and listen to someone who obviously
does not understand the concept of honesty and loyalty denigrate this noble animal. And as for common sense, if you really feel management car parking space matters so little then you won’t mind giving up yours.
The principle involved has obviously escaped you.

:rolleyes:

250 kts
12th Oct 2001, 01:12
I don't always agree with you torp- but bloody brilliant!.I reckon TT is just the 1st 4 letters of the breed you refer to. :D :D :D

Don't Look Now
12th Oct 2001, 15:02
Perhaps the problem with your parking is just the tip of the iceberg.......

Think more broadly, you guys are (semi)privatised, who do you rely on for your income? Answer TAG. Have you considered the problems that all of these airlines are going through at the moment and how this might apply to your future?

We in Switzerland were going through a little money problem before the demise of swissair. Now the s*** is about to hit the fan with skyguide in financial disaster.
Swissair provided approx 20% of income in en-route and approach charges. Now foreign travel has been canceled, radar positions are closing and jobs in all divisions are on the line.

Stop worrying about the trivial rubbish and start thinking about the big picture!!!!!!!!!!

250 kts
12th Oct 2001, 15:33
DLN, people are very aware of the wider picture and the possible problems that face us. However the parking issue is very minor but also very indicative of the management attitudes within NATS.ie. do as I say not as I do.

This was a chance for management at a major unit to show that they were prepared to accept some of the pain as well as the rest of us-and they failed miserably!

The best thing TAG can do now is to admit that they must concentrate on getting their core business ie. the airlines, into shape and get the govt to take NATS back into the public sector a la railtrack before it's too late. We'll all try not to say "I told you so" but it'll be tough not to.

Contact London 131.12
12th Oct 2001, 20:31
As per usual you guys darn sarf, have hijacked another thread with your own so called problems..I'd hazard a guess in saying the walk from your "overflow" carpark is still a shorter distance than the walk we at Manchester used to have to take from the carpark we were in and prefered, to what we have now! The problem we have now is of being moved to the other side of the airfield, (north wales actually!!!) Imagine having to drive to work at LATCC every morning, but having to park in the long stay at Heathrow and catch the bus in! That is why we have a problem with carparking, because of MAPLC's anti-car policy trying to get us to use public transport, like that is any use for an early start! Then when your tired and have finished your shift you again have to wait for a bus to take you back to your car, which may very well have been CLAMPED when you get back to it :mad:

AyrTC
12th Oct 2001, 20:54
Why don't all of you come to Sunny ScACC.We are in the process of building a huge new car park with easy access to the old Ops room.And in a couple of years we will still have a huge (nearly new) car park with easy access to the old Ops room. :D

AyrTC

TrafficTraffic
12th Oct 2001, 23:15
Ahh well, you know if I did have a car park, you blokes would be the first to get it, I mean after all you have to know where you have parked your Saab dont you.

But alas my time is wasted here as whether or not some ATC(O) in LATCC has to walk 100 mtrs or so (Thats about 330 1/3 feet to you uneducated lot) could worry me less. I do note however that the more you worry about your car parks (dare I say lack thereof) that you actual skills as ATC's are decreasing, now that is something TAG should be looking at.

I can see the sick list at LATCC now.......
I.Vectornogood - Sick due car park stress 12/10/2001

Get a collective life,
or borrow somebody elses. If you have any friends, ok lets use acquaintances, outside of work, ask them how important they think your managers car spaces are, why dont you even ring the odd tabloid, I'm sure they'd love to know what is on the minds of London's Finest, and probably you lot too.

BEx, BL ....tell them to stop picking on me...

Cos I left a 0 off me feet, thks for the help chaps.

BTW what does 5nm = in KM??

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: TrafficTraffic ]

Loki
12th Oct 2001, 23:25
traffic traffic:

100 metres is how much?

chiglet
12th Oct 2001, 23:29
Hey TT,
I see that you failed maths.
100 metres is 330 and a bit feet, not 33.
Don't know what your so called "separation" criteria are :eek:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

ADIS5000
12th Oct 2001, 23:45
Guys,
I hope u don't mind a military type putting his oar in?

This is a quality thread! Car parking spaces to psychological profiling in 6 posts is pure style!!

Managers should always have their own parking slots for those moments when the workers' only recourse is 4 flat tyres.

ps I think 100m = 325ft. If you ever need a hand with the maths, just give us a shout!

Cheers,
ADIS :cool:

160to4DME
12th Oct 2001, 23:55
Traffic Traffic

Your attempts to participate and encite in every thread is matched only by your ignorance of the facts pertaining to those threads.

Be a good chap; unless you can contribute constructively, I would suggest, sir, that you are the one who clearly needs to get a hobby or a life.

160to4DME
13th Oct 2001, 00:00
And whilst I'm on my soap box, people like Traffic Traffic are another excellent example of why we should petition for a private NATS forum, where NATS people can discuss NATS issues without the inane carping and worthless contributions of certain individuals. :mad:

AyrTC
13th Oct 2001, 00:03
If TT thinks my post was just about car parking spaces then he was missing the point
(as usual, and I promised myself I was not going to rise to his bait again .I guess it's nice to have a hobby :rolleyes:
AyrTC

TrafficTraffic
13th Oct 2001, 00:06
160TO40

I never questioned the facts in this thread...on the contrary. I find them all to easy too believe based on my dealings with your lot. What I do find questionable is that your so called Professional colleagues are so worried about where your managers park their cars. Thats what really worries me people are taking this as a serious thread.

:eek:

Sorry 160 just caught your last post.....Yes please give them their OWN NATS FORUM...so real ATC's dont have to suffer the famous Whinging Pom

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: TrafficTraffic ]

NoWay
13th Oct 2001, 00:20
I think a private NATS forum would be a bit of a shame. Personally I find what you NATS guys have to say quite interesting, I for one would miss finding out whats going on with our neighbours. We are not all prats like TT!!!

160to4DME
13th Oct 2001, 01:47
Trumpton

Having a private NATS forum wouldn't detract from the general ATC forum at all; the airlines got their own, and people still talk on the general discussion boards.

I just feel certain NATS-specific issues should be discussed in private because, whilst interesting to read by all and sundry, their quality is often diluted by the immature rantings of people who have no connection to NATS and who post only to carp and snipe.

Enjoyment for the majority is spoiled by the few; it's a shame, as I thought ATCOs as a group were more mature than that.

160to4DME
13th Oct 2001, 01:57
Traffic Traffic

Your ignorance of the facts and why this thread has been raised is abundantly clear. If you had any idea why the issue of extra cost exec. car parking had been raised, then you would understand completely why it has caused such furore and debate.

Your are an excellent example of one who opines about everything yet understands little; how high is that pedestal you've elevated yourself too from which you criticise UK ATCOs?
How brave to hide behind the anonymity of PPRUNE and a profile which says nothing.

NextLeftAndCallGround
13th Oct 2001, 02:03
TT, I'm not sure why I'm bothering - or even why you ask but 5nm = 9.26km.

Anyway, there you are. Now you can concentrate on your trivial sniping again.

160to4DME
13th Oct 2001, 15:02
a16

I tend to ignore his "contributions", but I find his comments to be less than considerate at a time when things are so volatile.

He's on permanent ignore now anyway :D

MACC 29 all the time!!!!
13th Oct 2001, 15:07
Instead of a private NATS forum how about an ATC forum that everyone but Traffic Traffic is allowed to post too!! Cast your votes below!!! :p

[ 13 October 2001: Message edited by: MACC 29 all the time!!!! ]

PPRuNe Radar
13th Oct 2001, 15:12
Closing this one now as not many can resist taking the bait. I'm sure those outside ATC are capable enough of making a judgement as to who the more professional contributors are.

As for a NATS Forum, it is a possibility, however people would need to be comfortable with supplying their names and staff numbers, though not linked to their PPRuNe handles obviously. I would still expect the majority of issues to be discussed out in the open and the NATS Forum would not be there just so that individuals can be sniped at in private. It may however serve to provide a Forum for more sensitive issues being discussed. A new thread will determine the level of interest.

Please also note that this may not be set up too quickly, the PPRuNe site is massively overloaded at the moment and obviously the priority is to address that problem for the benefit of all.