PDA

View Full Version : VFR-Standard Rejoin ....

d_boxman
24th Mar 2000, 01:39
Chaps,

What are your thoughts on the Standard
rejoin being used at a controlled airfield ?

At the moment I work at an airfield (outside the UK) where the controllers normally put traffic on left and right downwinds depending on where the traffic is approaching from.

Local management wants them to introduce the standard rejoin to control circuit traffic.They are not happy with this
as generally they feel it is not as efficient as the method they are employing .Some aspects of it they don't like for instance traffic converging over the field at 2000ft ,
traffic crossing upwind end of active at 800ft with VFR departure supposed to stop climb at 500ft etc....

I understand that in the UK this standard rejoin is used alot but it is not that well established in this country.

Your thoughts?

Bye.

D.F.B.

squeakmail
24th Mar 2000, 06:59
In the same way that I, as a pilot, object to being INSTRUCTED to turn onto crosswind or base..or whatever (rather than being advised that it is now safe, or asked to do so when the condition of the aircraft and crew permit), I would have thought that you were hired by said management to control the air traffic - hence the phrase Air Traffic Controller.

Can't ATC tell local management that they will talk to the aeroplanes and move them safely and expeditiously - as per the manual - rather than be told how to do their job?

Or am I in looking for too rosy a world to live in?

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

d_boxman
24th Mar 2000, 22:30
Hi squeakmail,

The man at the top is a pilot with no ATC experience and thinks he knows better than the experienced ATCOs.

Unusual situation dis-regarding the people who are trained to do the job.

Bye,

DB

BlueLine
24th Mar 2000, 23:34
In the main the standard overhead join is used at airfields where there is no ATC i.e. the radio is operated by a FISO or A/G operator, neither of whom are permitted to give instructions to aircraft in the air. The overhead join, if conducted correctly, is an efficient method of getting aircraft into an active circuit were it is the pilot who is responsible for the method of joining. If you have ATC then aircraft join as instructed in the most efficient manner applicable at the time. The overhead join will surely leave the controllers with nothing to do.