PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Trained Flight Insructors

Vernon Andrade
1st Oct 1999, 09:32
I cannot seem to find the pleasant messages that talked about U.S. trained Private Pilots, and the subsequent tirade about training here. My only question is, if training here is so poor, why is the accident/incident rate not any higher than that of Europe?

------------------

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Oct 1999, 22:19
Hundreds of reasons including but not exclusively, useage patterns, weather, airspace characteristics etc etc.

BEagle
1st Oct 1999, 23:36
"US Trained" - perhaps this is an oxymoron?? Like "Female Intuition" or "Fun Run"??

rolling circle
1st Oct 1999, 23:51
There is more to flying an aeroplane than avoiding a crash and, therefore, becoming a statistic. Perhaps it is pertinent that FAA instructors ,on the whole, do not understand the importance of learning to understand how their aeroplane flies.

I have just taught, for the first time, the concept of 'attitude' to a FAA instructor who has over 1000 hrs 'dual given'. God help his previous students when the going gets tough cos it's a sure bet their previous instruction won't!

BEagle
2nd Oct 1999, 00:00
Rolling C. - we may have disagreed in the past, but I'm absolutely 100% per cent in agreement with you on this!! The poor ex-USA PPLs I've checked had never heard of flight by reference to attitude. 'Lookout, Attitude, Instruments' was a total new dawn to them!! Did you find similar difficulties with an inability to teach Descending 2?? Particularly the difference between descending and descending to a fixed touchdown reference point??

rolling circle
2nd Oct 1999, 03:16
Ahhh - BEagle, now you're talking sense! Descending 2, of course, has little to do with the approach to land. However, if Bloggs cannot grasp the importance of PWR=ROD and CC=IAS there is no hope left in the world and we'll all end up off the end of the runway. G'day Bruce!!

BEagle
2nd Oct 1999, 10:35
Thanks. But I recall getting an enormous chewing out by A Certain Standardisation Unit From Sunny Scampton for NOT intro'ing the rather tetchy Bloggs-pretender in the other seat to 'point and power' after we got back to the aerodrome at the end of Desc2!! What I wanted to say was that, as well as never having been taught to fly by reference to visual attitudes, my 'US-trained' PPLs hadn't apparently been taught any technique at all for the maintenance of the final approach and selection of the touchdown point!! I guess they just did things by rote!! Not wanting to broach the subject of navigation with you again, but I've now heard of a 'US-trained' PPL whose navigation training consisted of being flown from one aerodrome to another and then being told "Just do it like that tomorrow on your solo!!".
How did they EVER get to the moon??

Vernon Andrade
2nd Oct 1999, 15:16
Ahhh love is in the air. So The PPL's were not very intelligent. I understand from speaking to European pilots that things are very difficult there. Is it really the same for U.S. trained (sorry!) Commercial pilots and A.T.P.'s? Maybe it is just our accent...

BEagle
3rd Oct 1999, 13:40
No the PPLs were not unintelligent. And no, it's not your accent (except for the rambling verbosity interspersed with errs and sirs on the RT), it's your general instructional standards, it seems.

rolling circle
3rd Oct 1999, 13:51
I don't want to turn this thread into a CFS standardisation seminar but....

The skill that is taught in Desc 2 is that of co-ordinating left and right hands to establish a constant descent path. That descent path may not be the correct one for the approach to a runway and, therefore, the 'approach' is not pertinent at this stage. However, having taught the essential skill, it is perfectly acceptable, nay important, to teach the next step - achieving a specific descent path (that appropriate to a runway approach)- on return to the airfield.

It is the failure of instructors to teach that very important final step which results in so many poorly controlled approaches and, consequently, poorly executed landings.

The other clear difference between our understandings is that, in my day (voice goes wavery and walking stick is waved), pilots of both Chipmunks and Bulldogs did not use point & power on the approach. The relative merits of the two approach techniques is, however, another matter and definitely not one for this thread.

BEagle
3rd Oct 1999, 16:58
That explains things!! We most definitely were expected to teach 'point and power' in the Bulldog and Chipmunk. Others disagreed about the wisdom of this, but we did as we were told....and it worked fine!! Still does in the PA28!! But do they teach ANY technique in the USA??

Vernon Andrade
4th Oct 1999, 10:18
Gently boys, I thought we were all in this together. Which still goes harks back to the original question I had, why is it that the accident rate is no higher, or even less than it is in Europe? Needless to say, we have all had incidents with incompetent pilots. Still it behooves us as professionals to be vigilant (yes, here too). It appears that most of the complaints so far are simply about a lack of experience in the operating environment that you are all talking about.

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Oct 1999, 00:09
Ahhhhh, Bulldogs. Now there's a lovely aeroplane.

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Oct 1999, 00:10
Anybody heard a rumour that the RAF Bulldogs will be sold off for around 40k a piece next year? Sounds cheap, I'd love to be in a syndicate...

BEagle
6th Oct 1999, 01:03
The Bulldog is an excellent military trainer - but would have severe economic limitations as a privately owned aircraft. Expensive CSU and VP propeller, relatively high fuel consumption and only 2-seats, small-ish fuel tanks.......and if someone damaged that lovely clear canopy, where would you ever get another? But if you've got loadsamoney, it would be fun to have your own. Unless 'Arfur Daley' from the MoD flogged you one with no fatigue left and big holes in the panel where the UHF, VOR/DME and Transponder once were - and only the MoD would install an ILS with no Marker receiver and a DME that was always slaved to the VOR/ILS receiver no matter what. But despite all that, it's still a vastly better aerobatic machine than the wretched T67 - which has a roll rate only marginally better than an Airbus!! Best bet if you've got a spare £40K might be to look for a nice Europa.......or a Pitts??

class-e
6th Dec 1999, 18:28
I know I'm restoring a relic thread, but having just joined you all I feel that this is one subject that I must comment on!

US trained pilots are (generally) s**t!

navigation training appears to be:
1/turn on GPS
2/hit goto
3/match the numbers

Radio work seems to be:
1/bloke in the tower is your best buddy
2/talk to him as if he is
3/speak really really fast
4/he knows where you are.....you don't need to tell him!

landings?????

more like arrivals!!!

and brakepads must be cheap in the US....every yank pilot i have flown with wears them out taxiing!!

anyway....have a nice day....and make sure you stop before the runway does!

dicko
6th Dec 1999, 21:28
You are just jealous that our accident rate is lower and we have Elvis.

class-e
7th Dec 1999, 06:46
Actually I was surprised to learn that you received training at all!

I always thought that a US pilot received his/her licence after eating at DENNYS for 5 nights straight!

dicko
7th Dec 1999, 08:19
Denny's has unlimited refills of coffee. I find in all my discussions with pilots from Europe it always comes down to fact that you all insist we have lower standards. I say they are just different. The volume of traffic and the size of this country dictate it. At the same time, we are remarkably safe. Despite your misgivings, the results speak for themself. Denny's also is open 24/7.

[This message has been edited by dicko (edited 07 December 1999).]

HungryPilot
7th Dec 1999, 14:53
It has been my experience and observation that British pilots are sh*t aviatiors.
And 'class-e', you must be a frustrated, low-hour ****** to believe what you put in your thread.
Over and out

class-e
7th Dec 1999, 16:15
anyone thought to tell JFK's family this?

Swamp
7th Dec 1999, 18:03
It's my experience that the US licence is not worth the piece of paper its written on.

I did more licence conversions for International pilots than I care to admit and I found the quality of US pilot to be despicable. Like class-e
- I often questioned if licences were issued based on peoples ability to recite the ingredients of a Big Mac.

Dicko, you said:

...you all insist we have lower standards. I say they are just different.

What a stupid thing to say. Your standards are different - and they are lower. This is an undeniable fact! The only way to appreciate how pathetic your standards are is to go and evaluate the way things are done in countries such as Australia and the UK.

The Australian and European ATPL can take up to three months of study. The FAA ATP can be done in 2 days! The PPL licence theory can be done in the States in 2 days when it takes the rest of the world 2 or 3 weeks. US instructors can get their (virtually unlimited) Instructor ticket in 5 hours when it takes 55 in Australia. In the US you can teach Multi Engine IFR on your first day on the job but in Australia you have to have a minimum of 750 Instructing hours, pass a series of Instructor Upgrades and then do a thorough course in Multi Engine instructing before you are allowed to teach more advanced sequences. Need I continue?

The (presumably experienced) Conversion candidates that I have helped overcome their inherent inadequacies have had the knowledge of a low time VFR pilot and the skills to match.

I don't blame the very capable individuals for the sloppy way in which they fly. I blame the system in the states which has lost all regulatory control over the way in which things are done...and this is due in part to the huge number of people that fly there. We have such (relatively) small numbers here that fly it's easier to maintain a high standard and ensure conformity and control.

[This message has been edited by Swamp (edited 09 December 1999).]

dicko
7th Dec 1999, 19:14
Thank you for quoting my stupid remark and then concluding with exactly what I have said. Why do so many people come here to fly? Almost nobody can afford your great training. Even our GA accident rate is lower. As for Mr. Kennedy, like Lady Di, beautiful people die horrible deaths.

HungryPilot
7th Dec 1999, 21:06
Do you really think the only thing that creates a highly skilled and safety conscious pilot is by making the ATPL ridiculously difficult, not to mention expensive, to obtain?

British pilots are just pissed off because in America an eager pilot can gain their licences and a large ammount of flying experience in the time it takes you to pass your bl**dy navs and techs.

I have flown in the states for the last two years, accumulating 2000 hours instructing and flying charter in twin pistons. I am in the UK now wrapping up my ATPL and it disgusts to think that I am in the same boat as 250 hour pilots who would **** themselves if they ended up on the inside of a cloud with an empty right seat.

BEagle
7th Dec 1999, 22:04
Agree with some of your sentiments - but the unfortunate fact of life is that there is an all-pervading sense of 'I had it tough, so shall ye' about the dogged insistence on utter trivia so beloved of the CAA's exams. PLUS - you'll never know what you got wrong in the exam (except at PPL level!!). But that means that they could never safely prosecute you for anything as you could claim that you asked for a debrief on your exams and were refused one. As the passmark is 70%, the other 30% could be totally unknown to you!! But it'll be worse under JARs as the exams have little to do with practicalities and more with obscure theory.
One of the many acknowledged reasons for people going to the USA is that the fuel costs make things much cheaper. In the UK we're charged VAT and excise duty on fuel, so it's very expensive!! The solution is to cut fuel costs, encourage BASIC training to an industry standard in the UK and to accept FAA-level 'knowledge' to reduce costs - but not to criticise too harshly those who have been trained already from hours building in the USofA.
Now, just what was the system of lights required to be displayed at the mooring position of a tethered balloon? And how wide are the stripes on the streamers below a tethered kite? Or the required candela for a serviceable navigation light? And when must I demonstrate lifejackets to passengers in a flying boat?? The CAA think it's oh, so important to know things like this..............!!

Swamp
8th Dec 1999, 08:55
DICKO, you can't put a price on safety sunshine! Anyhow, with Aussie's low dollar value the price of flying here is comparable with the US.

By the way, our accident rate is far lower than yours.

class-e
8th Dec 1999, 09:13
You know....JFK is a fine example of what the US school can churn out.You should all be more like him......especially now!

dicko
8th Dec 1999, 20:04
JFK Jr. went to Flight Safety Intl.(FSI) the largest flight training operation in the world, they even train our military pilots.
class-e sounds like a very cross pilot, needs a vaction in Florida! Shall we meet at Denny's? As for me, I am looking into the Minogue Sisters flying school in Australia.

RubberDogShit
9th Dec 1999, 13:27
All this slagging off of other countries' training systems is a bit sad, the yanks do things their way and there's a lot of good things in their system too. And the Brits often have their head up the proverbial (one myself). But one thing is for certain, there seems to be schools out there who train and examine foreign students to a poorer standard than their own if they think they're not going to exercise their licences locally.

No disrespect but Aussie trained orientals are the worst I've seen. Time and time again. We all know Australian standards are good but it seems there are some shonky operators down there.

Swamp
9th Dec 1999, 14:15
Let's leave Australian trained Orientals out of the argument. They are our secret shame.

Ever tried giving a foreign taxi driver directions in a strange place in a noisy taxi in 35 degree heat? Now try teaching an unfamiliar and illiterate Asian how to fly.

RubberDog****, there are shonky operators everywhere and always will be. At least our shonky operators have standards.

class-e
9th Dec 1999, 14:38
Rubberdog****.....you are right....ozzie trined orientals are pretty bad.....as bad as US trained orientals....uk trained orientals and oriental trained orientals.(try saying that one in a hurry)(sorry..hully)!

Does this mean we can start on the asians now?

[This message has been edited by class-e (edited 10 December 1999).]

class-e
9th Dec 1999, 14:38
KEEP SMILING :) :) :)

[This message has been edited by class-e (edited 10 December 1999).]

JJflyer
10th Dec 1999, 06:33
Interesting...

JJ

Capt Homesick
11th Dec 1999, 06:29
dicko, I used to work for FSI at Vero- I didn't instruct JFK Jr, but I was there when he was learning there. They are an excellent organisation, but they aren't perfect; I've posted before about what I think are some of their blind spots.
In general, I'm not a fan of PPL students at a big commercial school- there is a risk that they will miss something because the instructors are used to cpl studes, and are expecting to be able to put it in at a later stage.
I am NOT saying that is what happened to JFK, just that it is a possibility in general.

Diesel8
12th Dec 1999, 15:53
There is a reason FAA certified pilots hate "Nigel's". For some odd reason, the CAA thinks you learn to fly by reading a book. If that was the case, my landings would always be great, but they are not. I understand, the CAA still requires knowledge of Omega/VLF, despite the fact the system is dead. Who cares about doppler radar, ever seen one?

Aviation is a aquired skill, much like carpentry, one learns by doing.

So, there is a difference is philosophies between the EU and the US way, but the end result is really the same, some people make good pilots some do not, regardless of citizenship, gender or which country they learned in.

I am so tired of hearing the same old story from the same people.

[This message has been edited by Diesel8 (edited 12 December 1999).]

Turbo Prop
12th Dec 1999, 22:18
Interesting Diesel8, not everyone in the UK, or even Europe is anywhere near being a 'Nigel', I would be careful who you accuse of being one! Last time I looked the CAA did not say you become a pilot by reading a book, there is as much practical flying in our syllabus as in yours. We just believe a solid background knowledge ensures a better understanding of flight. (Although maybe it goes a wee bit too far in some regards.)

Omega/VLF has now been dropped from the material tested at ATPL level in the UK. Doppler? Plenty of examples I can think of in every day use.

Diesel8
13th Dec 1999, 00:31
Dear Turbo Prop,

I think perhaps I was being overly fastidious. It was late, (early), and just got back from a trip. My apologies, however, the gist of the comment still stands. The US and EU has two different philosophies, is training superior in one place or another? I do not think so, the CAA pushes academics and the FAA practical experience. Both include and exclude certain skills or task.

On a professional level, is there such a big difference between the two. I really do not think so. I do not think EU ATPL's are superior to FAA ATP's, nor the other way around, the accident statistics certainly does not support such a finding.

This may sound silly, but in the end we are all pursuing the same dreams and aspirations, so am somewhat tired of this argument, concerned "the better pilot".

Just out of pure curiosity, honestly, tell me how you use Doppler radar everyday. I have flown my fair share of old airplanes and have never seen one, much less used one, so just inquisitive!!

Capt Homesick
13th Dec 1999, 02:02
At FSI, the FAA instructors hated us (the Limeys) because we each earned as much as any 3 of them (or maybe 4, I was never sure)!

JJflyer
13th Dec 1999, 12:07
One thing is clear that having a EU ATPL groundschools done you are most certainly better prepared for airline flying that your counterpart in US with a single written, which I took without ever opening a book ( Got 98% ).
Most of the pilots I have worked with have never even seen a ICAO flightplan form let alone now how to fill one.
While in EU advanced meteorology, navigation and airlaw is included in the frozen ATPL courses. Here it is customary for the airline to provide you with that training when you need it, say before you move to fly international trips.
Regardless, I find qualified pilots on both sides of the pond as well as persons that should have absolutely no business in the cockpit.

JJ

dicko
13th Dec 1999, 21:31
Captain Homesick the first thing that I thought of during the JFK incident was how his FSI instructor must have felt and how they would have to remove all their promotional catalogues/flyers with JFK Jr. on it.

We have Limey Instructors here too, almost all of whom want to fly here. Is the UK/EU job market bad? Maybe they are concerned that the standards home are too stringent. Or maybe they just like our girls.

class-e
14th Dec 1999, 02:03
Or maybe they feel that it is their calling....they are really Angels....after all, someones gotta teach you guys how to fly properly.
I've noticed that very few US instructors commented on the thread regarding proper navigational techniques....why is that???
Doesn't the GARMIN handbook tell you how to read a map?
The word that sums up US trained PPL's and QFI's is - SLOPPY.
I make no apologies for my views, but if you want to change them....send out some pilots who can fly accurately,navigate properly, and have some idea about flight planning/met/air law and radio procedures!

I plan to be around for a few years yet...so take your time trying to find one!!!

Capt Homesick
14th Dec 1999, 03:42
dicko, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the Limeys who instruct with you and want to keep flying in the US, were trained in the US. Most of the UK-trained QFIs I worked with in the US viewed it as either a temporary thing, or as the last job before retirement.
Maybe some see it as easier to get thee first job, but once I had the experience to get a 146 job, I took it- I didn't want to fly J41s and get food stamps to stay alive!
(Although the girls were nice, yes.......but so are the Italians/Spanish/German/Austrian/ Dutch/Irish/Finnish/Swiss/French who I met or worked with flying round Europe!
Getting dangerously off topic here, I'd better go to JB for a while.......
:)

dreamer99
21st Dec 1999, 11:38
As an ex chief CFI for a US company that trained mainly european students (mostly British), I must agree with BEagle. They delighted in showing me their study books and in telling me how much more they had to learn in merry old England.But they were here. When I arrived,some thought I was the new secretary (I am female) It took 2 months to be accepted, answering silly questions that I knew the answers to. Some arguments were taken to the FAA to resolve, even though I showed them in the regs or manuals. Yes those Brits are full of themselves. The basic idea in airplanes is "push forward, the houses get bigger, pull back the houses get smaller, pull too far back they get bigger real fast" One does not need to know how every valve and circuit operates to be a good pilot just as one does not need to know about LAN and WAN and server technology to use a computer.

------------------
eX-Chief CFI, X-ATC,AVN map maker,F

Capt Homesick
23rd Dec 1999, 04:20
Dreamer, the trouble with the US system (from a head-up-ass Brit perspective) is that it assumes a level of support that is not always available.
An example from a US colleague (totally FAA licenced, but later approved as a CAP509 instructor by the CAA):
In the US system, you put your deicing gear on if it is snowing because FAR number x subsection y clause z says put the deicing gear on.
In the CAA/JAA system, you put the deic9ing gear on because your Met groundschool includes a lot about causes of, and when you are most likely to encounter, airframe or engine icing.
Between instructing and airline flying, I reckon I have actually used less than half of what I learned in CPL and ATPL groundschool. But some of it has been VERY useful, and occasionally potentially lifesaving. Why do even commuter airlines have to ask so many tech and operating questions at interview? Because under the FAA system, it is impossible to know if the applicant actually KNOWS anything! And when you have multiple system failures over the Alps after the toilet blows up, with more systems going off line as the Blue Goo drips down the avionics bay, it's comforting to know where the relevant boxes are, what's likely to fail next, and what extra landing distance you're going to need without flaps (yeah, the NHP can check the book, but as the autopilot was first to fail, you don't want to waste a lot of time on that).
Yeah, your system works for you, but don't assume it's the best in the world. In Europe, an FAA ticket on its own is worth slightly less than a laundry receipt.

britavia
23rd Dec 1999, 05:28
"In the US system, you put your deicing gear on if it is snowing because FAR number x subsection y clause z says put the deicing gear on."

Hmm..yeah, and what about Company Ops Specs and a bit of commonsense? If you see ice build up (1/4"+) and you are flying into unforcast weather (do I hear "Flightwatch"?), I think I'd like to activate the boots and pitot heat.

Sensible
23rd Dec 1999, 21:31
Is anybody going to congratulate me for managing to read through so many postings put out by self opinionated Brits with egos bigger than their d**ks !!

------------------
To make a dream come true, first WAKE UP !

JJflyer
23rd Dec 1999, 22:58
Congrat's Sensible...
Some pilots have to assure themselves about their knowledge and flying abilities.
I'd say this bashing of US trained or US pilots is a sort of P enis envy displayed by frustrated individuals who are desperately trying to prove their ability to others.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

JJ

HungryPilot
24th Dec 1999, 02:29
"Is anybody going to congratulate me for managing to read through so many postings put out by self opinionated Brits with egos bigger than their d**ks !!"

I'm afraid that's not saying very much 'sensible'!

Right on 'JJ Flyer'. Couldn't agree with you more.

Robbo2Alpha
24th Dec 1999, 02:37
Its amazing how reasoned debate goes right over the heads of our american cousins! I see nothing but accurate information in Homesick's posting, why can we all not just agree that we have different systems between the USA and the UK, without the americans thinking we are having a go at them? I must say from my time in the USA, they would not be able to tell the difference anyway...!

Diesel8
24th Dec 1999, 03:36
Robbo2Alpha must be another one of those endowed with a short pitot tube and low manifold pressure!!

------------------
It's been real, it's been fun, but it has not been real fun

Robbo2Alpha
24th Dec 1999, 23:42
Thank you Diesel, Ha, I rest my case! :)

SKYYACHT
25th Dec 1999, 10:50
I have just browsed this thread, and just want to make a few minor points of my own. I learned to fly a good few years ago, in Dallas, to FAA standards. I was fortunate that my instructor was an ex- Royal Navy Harrier pilot, who taught me to a very high standard. This meant that although I learnt the FAA FARs and flew the FAA syllabus, I was taught to exercise airmanship and planning to UK standards. It should not be assumed that just because an individual has a piece of paper issued by a non UK/European state that the standards of flying will not be of an acceptable standard. I have subsequently flown in the UK and hold both a CAA/FAA licences, together with various add ons including multi. I have to admit, that I have seen very sloppy flying techniques demonstrated by both European and US pilots and instructors, but the real gauge of competence should be in the level of skill demonstrated by a pilot during the necessary check flights.

I fly resonably regularly in the UK, operating from Shoreham, but I find that many of the attitudes held by ATC/Operators/Clubs here make flying less pleasurable, and a damn-sight more difficult than operating out of the busy airspace at, say, Long Beach, and in and around LAX.

I have frequently hired twins in the US, and have been checked out by many different instructors, and have only had one instructor who in my opinion was ineffective. The others have been dedicated professionals, usually ex USAF etc, from whom I learnt a great deal. To make sweeping generalisations is rash, and does our industry no favours. and before anyone asks, No, I am not American or Canadian, just another FI enjoying pprune.

Tailwinds, and a merry christmas to all

HungryPilot
26th Dec 1999, 03:51
Amen SKYYACHT. And a merry Christmas.

Widow1
26th Dec 1999, 10:49
You guys need a beer!

HungryPilot
26th Dec 1999, 21:08
Are you buying?

Dan Winterland
28th Dec 1999, 05:07
Boys, what a lot of bickering!

BEagle/Rolling Circle - a point of trivia regarding Chippy/Bulldog Descending 2 approach techniques. The Bulldog uses/used the control the flight path with the atiitude and speed with the throttle or 'point and squirt' technique as it is the technique used by nearly all RAF aircraft, so it makes sense to teach it at an early stage. The Chippy, even to the end of it's life as a primary trainer used the attitude controls speed, power controls rate of descent technique, largely due to the approach speed being 60 knots and the land flap limiting speed being 71 knots. Even with land flap, it was still quite a slippery little aircraft and the limit could easily be bust.

Oh, and American trained pilots know little of flying attitudes - even the Military trained ones!

Diesel8
28th Dec 1999, 06:45
I guess all that fish and chips is rotting the brain, eh DW.

BEagle
28th Dec 1999, 18:19
Diesel8 - he means flight by reference to visual attitude!! Not attitude as in 'you have an attitude problem'!!
Dan - point and power works perfectly well in the Chipmunk!!

Diesel8
28th Dec 1999, 19:16
BEagle, I am aware of that, so my comment stands, since I have an "attitude", I guess. Had no problem with his post, DW's, untill he got to the US bashing part.

Capt Homesick
28th Dec 1999, 22:52
Diesel8, many of the US instructors I have talked to have denied knowledge of teaching "attitudes" as a means of controlling the aircraft.
If there is some alternative way of phrasing this, but getting the same point across, it would be helpful if you would say so, instead of resorting to pointless abuse. If pointless abuse is what you want from PPRuNe, can I suggest you take it to JB?

Diesel8
29th Dec 1999, 01:07
Capt. Homesick:

Thanks Dad, I will go sit in the corner now!!
I am a US flight instructor and did indeed teach "attitude" flying and a bunch of other techniques, at least that is what I think. But any discussion that will further my knowledge I will gladly engage in.

I am however tired of hearing derogatory remarks concerning US pilots on such a continuous basis. I may be thinskinned, doubt it, but I think we all have some pride in what we do for a living, I certainly do.

I did not spend 3000+ hrs teaching with excellent results for my students, with long hours and low pay only to be told by EU boys that US pilots in general and US CFI's in particular have no clue as to what "real" training is. Reading some of your other post on this thread, certainly shows what you think, you are entitled to your opinion, so I guess that means I am entitled to mine.

So, no, I am not looking for pointless abuse, although US CFI have certainly taken theirs here, including but not limited to some of your aforementioned post's.

------------------
It's been real, it's been fun, but it has not been real fun

[This message has been edited by Diesel8 (edited 29 December 1999).]

HungryPilot
29th Dec 1999, 02:10
Don't sweat it 'Diesel8'. I too am a US trained pilot and CFI currently in the UK getting my ATPL.

I have come to the conclusion, as have many of my colleagues, that Brit pilots slagging US pilots is a direct result of:

1. A general lack of flying skills. Although they seem to be quite proficient in such cr*p as morse and how far below a balloon it's anticol light shall be hung.

2. Too much Guinness (not necessarily a bad thing)

Safe 2000 all.

Dan Winterland
30th Dec 1999, 01:52
BEagle - Yes, I agree. point and squirt does work in the Chippy. I used it myself a lot of the time, but the technique we used to teach the studes was attitude controls airspeed/power controls rate of descent because of the closeness of the flap limit. It made the Chipppy a little harder to fly, but it prevented overstresses.

And my final comment, It seemed to get a response. Any votes on a new topic regarding Yanks not being able to take banter?

JJflyer
31st Dec 1999, 03:56
Yip. HungryPilot is right... First learn how to fly real airplanes instead of FS 98 and after that you can start slagging people.

JJ

Capt Homesick
31st Dec 1999, 05:26
:rolleyes:
Hungry, diesel, etc...
Yup, I've got opinions- like I said, I've flown with some excellent US trained pilots, and some excellent US trained instructors. I don't think Americans can't fly, or can't teach.
The US SYSTEM is what scares me, but as I've posted, it works for you. Ours works for us. And if Hungrypilot thinks his CAA flight tests are going to be easy, I can only wish him luck!

Diesel8
31st Dec 1999, 06:09
CaptHomesick:
I went back over this thread, failed to find once were you metioned good US pilots, care to share this insight!!

Roller Merlin
3rd Jan 2000, 05:27
Hey guys - everyone contributes to aviation according to their cultural beliefs and attitudes - we perceive things differently regarding rules, WX, navaids, techniques, procedures...blah blah you know the routine.

So instead of slagging the differing ideas that result from differing aviation cultures and environs, just pick out the good bits from each and include them in your "kit bag".

As a CFS trainer, I have instructed IPs from all over the world "what is normal here" - and have always managed to learn gems from them as they learned from me. That is the way forward.

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Jan 2000, 12:22
Order! Order!

Come along chaps - a little more constructive contrasting and a little less mud slinging please if you please.

Capt Homesick
4th Jan 2000, 06:27
Diesel8, I thought it was in this topic (if not, then one with a very similar title and content) I said I worked with some US-trained instructors (both US citizens, and Europeans) at my last instructing job. Some of those qualified for CAA CAP509 approval, which is extremely difficult. As I said, they were excellent pilots, and "completely belie any suggestion that yanks can't instruct."

(Checking back, apologies, I might have said it in the "USA trained(?) PPLs topic. I still meant it though).
The crap ones would have been crap under anyone's system. :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Capt Homesick (edited 06 January 2000).]

Sensible
4th Jan 2000, 08:06
Why hasn't this thread been consigned to Jetblast Forum ??

dicko
6th Jan 2000, 09:12
We are all so nice to each other aren't we? We have a reputation for being haughty, I wonder why. This is not a sport or a zero sum game. We can learn a lot from each other. Kisses to all.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are enough pilots States side to have a PPRUNE bash.

Sensible
6th Jan 2000, 17:42
dicko, sure there are enough PPRuNers Stateside for a bash, mind you, they are mostly UK guys who are in the USA to take advantage of the excellent US trained instructors there!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJflyer
6th Jan 2000, 20:52
I know of about 30 or so who reside here in US...Problem is that everyone is scattered around this quite large country.

JJ

nz red neck
7th Jan 2000, 14:48
I am guessing that all you people are so frustrated at your career is moving so slowly that all you can do is slag eachother off. Why not stop putting knives into eachother and stick together

Diesel8
8th Jan 2000, 07:48
NZ red neck: Nope!!

flynfiddle
8th Jan 2000, 12:44
Hello all,

As a Canuck I'm a little curious to hear how Canadian trained pilots and standards are regarded in your countries? What do you see as the major differences between the Canadian system and yours?
I would also like to hear your opinions or comments on flying club training vs. flight college training.

Take care

nz red neck
8th Jan 2000, 23:41
:)
Deisl8 I dont supose you can with all those knives sticking out of you.

dicko
9th Jan 2000, 01:59
flynfiddle you crazy Canadian, this topic is for U.S. trained flight instructors. Other than that everybody loves all things Canadian. I mean you are so much like the Americans, except a bit batty.

JJflyer
9th Jan 2000, 02:06
I have had it with this crap... Well regarding Canadian standards ... If you ask Beagle or anyone else in his camp, you are not worth anything as you are not trained in BRITANNIA.
You basically don't know how to fly or do anything else with airplanes.
You would be better off driving a taxi or something in that category.Actually that might be too complicated to you too, how about cleaning hotelrooms...There you could pick up the trash left by crews that fly airplanes for British companies and are trained in BRITANNIA. You know you might learn something useful from the trash and perhaps if you were extensively retrained you could perhaps make it as a pilot.
Anybody who has not done training in BRITANNIA sucks... that is the general idea of this thread.

JJ

Oh yes I am off to fly the 737 that I really don't know how to fly as I have not been trained in BRITANNIA.
Anybody care to comment... put your flack west on as I have had it and will not save words anymore.

BEagle
9th Jan 2000, 02:13
Sorry - don't know much aboot Canuck flying!! But what did we in the military ever do to upset you Canucks and deserve Gander and Goose bl**dy Bay!! It has always mystified me why anyone having crossed the pond hundreds of years ago and bumped their boat into North America should turn right towards the snow and Christmas trees rather than left towards the sun!! But you guys have often flown in some utterly dreadful conditions very safely - so you must be doing something right, eh?

Wrote this before reading JJ's post. Cool down dude, I'm sure that there are well trained pilots everywhere in the world - it's just that the small and statistically insignificant number of students - NOT INSTRUCTORS - trained in a certain part of the world who I have personally flown with haven't been well trained. There could well be many others who have. And, just for the record, I was once given an excellent briefing on US rules and procedures by a US instructor at Space Center Executive!!

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 08 January 2000).]