PDA

View Full Version : MICROLIGHTS DOWN THE THAMES?

SKYYACHT
9th Aug 1999, 21:42
As a responsible pilot, who also happens to work within the training arm of a major air carrier, I was somewhat suprised to see on Carlton TV on Sunday that two "Intrepid Birdmen" had bravely flown a Microlight flexwing aircraft under 23 of the bridges over the River Thames from Kew. Carlton TV were obviously in collusion with the perpetrators as the event was filmed wih their knowledge. The report was that the so-called Pilot and his passenger had performed this stunt as a way of joining the dangerous sports club!

Bearing in mind the parlous state of GA in the UK today, with airfield closures and restrictions of airspace by the state I think that adverse publicity caused by these individuals, who recklessly flew their aircraft within controlled airspace, and at a height that grossly infringes the low flight rules deserve to be dealt with by the full might of the enforcement branch. I dont know about other fliers out there, but I dont wish to see even more restrictions on my flying activities as a result of selfish and thoughtless acts of someone who certainly is undeserving of the title of Pilot.

Tailwinds......

------------------

capt beeky
10th Aug 1999, 02:13
Assuming you have all the facts - I agree.
Did 'Cash And Aggravation' know about it/give an exemption. With enough good planning they will let you break most of the rules provided its safe and well thought out. Unlikely I would have thought for what you have described.

SKYYACHT
10th Aug 1999, 21:10
Well, I guess that as the news report stated that the CAA had already requested copies of the film for their investigation, I canonly assume that they had no exemption.....Wonder if they will let me buzz the Millenium Dome?

Tailwinds

Meeb
13th Aug 1999, 22:40
Microlighting still seems to be the domain of cowboys I am afraid. I used to watch in dismay at these 'things' fly in and out of cloud (you seen the instruments on these things - or lack of I should say) and even at night, landing on an unlit strip etc.

PA38
13th Aug 1999, 23:07
Well I can't condone the act, but deep down there is a little bit of us all that would love to do it!!!!!