PDA

View Full Version : Visitors flying to Baghdad must make quick descent (in F-28)

rotornut
5th Jul 2004, 10:51
Visitors flying to Baghdad must make quick descent

By PATRICK MARTIN
UPDATED AT 6:47 AM EDT Monday, Jul 5, 2004

BAGHDAD -- Fight and flight

You won't find Flight 816 on any published airline schedule. The Royal Jordanian flight is one of two that flies every day from Amman to Baghdad and quickly back. Manned by a special South African crew with experience in many of the world's hot spots, the 25-year-old twin-engine Fokker 28 has the ability to climb and descend rapidly.

Its arrival at Baghdad International Airport is more like a carnival ride than a conventional landing. It starts its descent from 22,000 feet directly over the airport, beginning in a steep downward counterclockwise spiral, then banking right and reversing spiral, then left and reversing again. It makes a remarkably smooth landing before you know it -- although your stomach arrives a few minutes later. It takes off in much the same manner.

Are such security precautions really necessary? It seems so. A U.S. C-130 cargo plane taking off last weekend in a more conventional departure came under small-arms fire. One of the passengers was hit and died.

Flip Flop Flyer
5th Jul 2004, 12:02
Daily TriStar, DC-8 and An-12 flights does pretty much the same thing, sometimes on double or triple rotations. But since they don't carry PAX I suppose it doesn't count ..... but the TriScam did carry yours truly there not long ago, albeit on a slightly less glamours approach than the one described above.

Still got the remains of an A300 sitting in the Saddam Intl. graveyard ....

lomapaseo
5th Jul 2004, 13:25
Nice (not) to see the detail of the pre-planned evasive manuevers being broadcast for all to see:eek:

ABO944
5th Jul 2004, 13:46
lomapaseo

Most of the RPG wielding F***ers cant read, so dont fret yourself about it pal !

ABO

steamchicken
5th Jul 2004, 13:54
Who operates the An 12 into Baghdad?

Coastrider26
5th Jul 2004, 14:05
AN12's are operated (through wetlease) by Falcon Airlines out of DXB and I've seen the other AN12 sitting on the ramp in BAH so I guess it's a DHL flight.

Altough publishing certain procedures on the web is not the smartest thing to do I don't think these people can't find out this kind of thing theirselves :( :{

CargoOne
5th Jul 2004, 14:17
That's the same thing like in Bagram, Kabul and some other areas. It is not a secret for many many years, because it is designed exactly to lower chances being shot with RPG. The certain radius from runway is supposed to be "clean" and carefully watched by militaries, so the only thing you need is to be out of PRG range in terms of altitude when you out of this radius. Pilots operating into and guys with RPGs around these areas know it perfectly.

slice
6th Jul 2004, 08:31
RPG ?? Wouldn't the primary threat come from guided shoulder launched missiles (Stingers etc.) ?

RPGs , as far as I am aware, are not guided and have limited range (~1 km) so only a threat on or very close to the ground.

Taildragger
6th Jul 2004, 10:18
Like London City really without the RPG. (Yet)

Desert Nomad
6th Jul 2004, 10:26
lomapaseo

Cos these guys couldn't just look up in the sky and see what they are doing? :confused:

Flip Flop Flyer
6th Jul 2004, 13:42
Coastrider is correct. Operated by an Eastern European outfit, DHL has 3 An-12s doing various airports in Iraq. The Diesel-8 is covering Balad and Tikrit, not SDA as previously mentioned. The An-12s spiral quite well, or so I've been reliably informed.

747FOCAL
6th Jul 2004, 14:28
slice,

Below 10,000 if they got a stinger your dead anyway no matter what you do in a commercial jet. Only a self defence system will save you then. Even then it is highly likely you dead as well. :ugh:

Coastrider26
6th Jul 2004, 14:33
If you'd say RPG are the biggest treat in Bagdad i'm just wondering if you're living on a cloud or so. Most attacks at ORBI have been made by shoulder fired SAM's SAM 7A/B.

The previously discussed procedure should also give a "bigger" IR signature so the SAM might get confused and miss. Altough this is purely theoretical since the exhaust of a turbo prop is milked out pretty much.

Altough certain captains from various operators prefer a high speed straight in.... :rolleyes: high speed in a turboprop hehe.

arfur-sixpence
6th Jul 2004, 14:54
reminds me of operating into Belfast Aldergrove a few years back.

The weapons of choice were the same, too..........

Ontariotech
6th Jul 2004, 16:44
If they were really concerned with the SAM threat, why are aircraft not dropping out of the sky on a daily basis? I understand the threat, but I agree, posting of SOP's for getting into a airport such as Baghdad Airport, is not very bright.

Paracab
6th Jul 2004, 20:41
The height that the manouever into Baghad begins at suggests that it may be visible for quite some distance around the airport, ie, to those that are interested in targeting the aircraft...

Flightmech
7th Jul 2004, 08:52
Remember doing AMC charters as a mtce rep in the MD-11 into OEKJ. Night approaches, all lights out below FL130 with landing lights only on very short final. Distinctly remember the spiralling climb-out (very impressive in an empty mad-dog on a 55 minute ferry to DXB!) but dont seem to remember any out -of- the- ordinary approaches though???

ijp
7th Jul 2004, 20:43
I have been using FL150 over the rwy end , then 59 degree bank , third spiral I am on short final. I am told that there is little threat of a TriStar being brought down.

GotTheTshirt
7th Jul 2004, 20:48
Ontario and Lompasa.

Why do you think that this stuff on pprune so top secret ??
The approach to Bagdad is SOP - Standard operating procedures NOT Secret operating procedures
They have been in place since day 1 and your naivity is amusing that the bad guys read pprune then rush off to the airport with whatever they have to hand.
You will never stop these guys and these procedure jusdt give you the best chance.
They are only known to a few thousand people who work in this area

RatherBeFlying
8th Jul 2004, 12:55
Why should the nefarious ones about Baghdad airport bother with pprune when all they have to do is look up? :rolleyes:

hedfan
8th Jul 2004, 13:08
On 28-03-04 an AN12 out of UAE was also hit by a missile at 8000ft on departure from Baghdad, aircraft built like a brick outhouse landed safley, with flap and aileron damage.

wheelchock
9th Jul 2004, 08:26
hedfan

Heard of that AN12 when I was flying there. At the time the US was denying it and we were told no civil aircraft got hit since the A300. Where did you get the info?
Never did enjoy flying into ORBI, preferred ORBD and ORBM, much easier to get into and out of.

steamchicken
9th Jul 2004, 12:08
Perhaps they didn't want to say *whose* UAE-based An-12 it was....

BUSHJEPPY
9th Jul 2004, 12:30
*whose* UAE-based An-12 it was....

Victor Bout may be ?

BRISTOLRE
9th Jul 2004, 12:46
So many An12s based in the Middle East now performing this kind of flying, belived those none UR or RA regd though.

steamchicken
9th Jul 2004, 14:33
He's supposedly using EX- reg now.

VFE
9th Jul 2004, 15:23
A mate of mine was running the new currency into Baghdad in a beaten up B707 earlier this year and had a bullet come through the DV window one day. Par for the course apparently so yeah, I would say the measures taken by the royal flight are indeed a necessary precaution. Wear a tin hat too. ;)

VFE.

BUSHJEPPY
9th Jul 2004, 19:08
He's supposedly using EX- reg now

that must be Phoenix out of Sharjah. The company has some ex-Santa-Cruz IL18's of the good old days when Victor Bout was active in Africa (Angola, Sierra Leone, Liberia etc). Good business to supply warlords like Sawimbi, Taylor, Mullah Omar, Bush, Blair. etc...

Semaphore Sam
10th Jul 2004, 17:02
Waning days of Vietnam, I remember being briefed 20K 20DME, 10K,10 DME final for Saigon, in C141A. We did it, all sh*t hanging (including spoilers, 'illegal' with flaps). Sounds all so familiar, Johnson-Bush, both stupid failures; though Bush, having lived through Vietnam, exceeds all bounds of stupidity.

hedfan
13th Jul 2004, 13:07
AN12 was EK reg( Armenia), operating out of Sharjah UAE on regular freight contract flight, inspected a/c myself ! :sad:
Any other civil aircraft shot at since the A300?
Any other info on this AN12?

Avtrician
14th Jul 2004, 07:52
The Hercules C130 that was shot at with the death of a passenger was in fact an RAAF C130, not US