View Full Version : AFI to QFI Upgrade

Fuwhead
24th Mar 2001, 17:29
Can anybody tell me whether you still have to do a course to upgrade to QFI. As I understand it you have a restricted instructor rating and its up to CFI to upgrade you. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

eyeinthesky
24th Mar 2001, 18:46
Not quite right. I think that now the wonderful JAR is with us you can upgrade just by having 100hrs + of instructing and have 25 supervised solos. I think you also need a recommendation from your CFI.

You talk however about AFI to QFI. These were the old CAA terms, and you MIGHT have to ask them about upgrading. If it's any help, I did my AFI course under the old scheme and was issued with a CAA AFI rating. However I sent them the details as required by JAA and they sent me an unrestricted FI rating.

Any help?

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

BEagle
24th Mar 2001, 18:54
First you have to pass selection for pilot training in the Armed Forces. Then you have to complete sufficient flying to be selected for a course at the Central Flying School, then when you graduate you become a B2 QFI - there is NO SUCH THING as a civil 'Q'FI!

However, if you merely wish to upgrade your civil FI(R) rating to FI (there being no such thing as an AFI any more), you must achieve 100 hours of flight instruction and have supervised at least 25 solo student flights and have secured the recommendation of a nominated supervising FI.

Ransman
25th Mar 2001, 01:12
25 student solo flights. Is this as written, or is it 25 HOURS of solo student flights?

Noggin
25th Mar 2001, 03:42
There never has been a course to effect an FI upgrade. There is a course to remove the no applied IF linmmitation which under National rules you had to remove before you could effect an upgrade.

Now you have to meet the requirements listed above and have the CAA remove the Restriction. You should have a form where you log the 25 student solo sorties and obtain the endorsement of your supervising FI.

juggernaut
25th Mar 2001, 03:49
To remove the FI restriction you as previously mentioned supervise 25 solo student flights,not hours, this means you sign them out as you are still supervised by an FI unrestricted, you also require 100 hours instructing, you then fill in the relevant form and send to gatwick, note the CAA like the 25 flights to be a broad spectrum of the PPL syllabus,the restriction is then lifted but does not let you teach IMC, this requires a 5 hour course and 35 hours groundschool by an FIC instructor plus a skill test, you must already hold an IMC rating.

Gentleman Aviator
25th Mar 2001, 20:32
I thought that BEagle might bite!

:)

King Midas
25th Mar 2001, 23:35
BEagle, I really wish you had been my instructor in the GA world ! You sound totally fantastic. The world would be a much better place if all instructors were like you! (NOT)

BEagle
25th Mar 2001, 23:45
Dear me - fragile feelings much in evidence!

Do check the emoticons!!

Out of interest, JAR-FCL has been around now for how long? And some people still don't know what the removal of the FI(R) restriction involves? No doubt they still talk of 1179s, GFTs and 13 month stamps as well!

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 25 March 2001).]

King Midas
28th Mar 2001, 23:56
OK BEagle, let you off this time! watch out, there's a Midas about.

BEagle
29th Mar 2001, 10:30
Cheers KM! We once had someone nicknamed not Midas, but Sadim - because everything he touched turned not to gold, but to $hit!!