PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid aircraft concept

whining_coyote
20th Jun 2004, 20:52
Does anyone know how feasable it would be to get a petrol / hybrid eletric powered GA aircaft in the air?

Just been watching a old video about a solar powered aircraft concept.It flew from France to Britain in what looked like the late 70s / early 80s.Solar panels providing power for a electrical motor,and that got me thinking.

Would it be feasable to make an light aircraft powered..say by a honda petrol powered generator (say giving 2800 watts power) which uses up miniscule amounts of juice (2 litres an hour).This power driving a powerful electrical motor which has a prop attatched?

Sure it might be a little heavy,but think of the money savings if it worked?

Thoughts? Good idea? Practical as a solar powered torch? Discuss..

seacue
21st Jun 2004, 01:57
I think you will find that hybrid vehicles only make sense where the peak power required is much larger than the average power.

Automobiles can fit this because of considerable start-accelerate-stop driving in towns. Even at that, I read a road test of the Ford hybrid small SUV today. In-town fuel consumption was quoted as 30 mpg (US), while highway driving was quoted as 26 mpg - all provided by the gasoline engine. In-town the peak power was supplied by electricity, speeds were low, and there was probably a lot of sitting stationary in traffic.

Aircraft have a much less difference between take-off and cruising power requirement. They don't sit idling in traffic :O

And your suggestion of 2800 watts is way too small. That's roughly 4 horsepower. What plane will cruise on 4 horsepower? And batteries aren't light.