PDA

View Full Version : MOD Landing sites ?

FullyFlapped
17th May 2004, 12:28
Someone mentioned landing at MOD sites in another thread. How available is this facility ? How do we find out which ones accept GA, how to handle PPR, costs etc ?

Anyone know ?

FNG
17th May 2004, 12:32
Most of them are in the popular guide books, such as the AFE VFR Guide, with the instructions set out there. You need to phone well in advance, may in some cases have to obtain written permission, and have to be very well insured.

PS: also contact details on the station websites

http://www.raf.mod.uk/stations/index.html

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2004, 13:20
- Fees are about £8 for a light GA type.

- Crown indemnity insurance is mandatory (althought they might handle this as a once-off payment of about the same).

- PPR by calling the station, ask for "station ops", and give your details and ask for permittion. (Numbers in Pooleys, etc.)

- Expect to be declined permission if you just "fancy a visit" unless you have a sponsor on the station, but they'll generally be very helpful if you have a good reason. This applies to pretty much any station.

- Be current on marshalling signals, flying under radar control, and the nature of military (constant aspect) circuits.

- Don't take photos whilst on the ground there, for that matter don't even have a camera in view.

Do all that, and you'll find them utterly helpful if you've good reason to visit even a very busy UK military airfield.

G

221B
17th May 2004, 13:22
On a recent trip to RAF Cottesmore we were informed that it is RAF policy to actively encourage GA use of their sites.

They do require a high level of insurance cover, but most flying school aircraft would already have that, otherwise I believe that it is possible to get the cover from wherever you are visiting for a few pounds on top of the landing fee.

A lot of them are in Pooleys, with the relevant contact details.

Kolibear
17th May 2004, 13:39
So what would be the chance of a Pprune Fly-in to say, Wittering or Coningsby then?

FNG
17th May 2004, 13:46
Sounds like Plan A.

I could not help but chortle when overhearing some poor glider pilot try to persuade the efficient but somewhat humourless "Sir- yes-Sir" Lakenheath ladies let him land there as he was running out of lift. Rather appeared to do their heads in, and that was pre 9-11.

Fuji Abound
17th May 2004, 13:55
I go to Brize regularly - always very helpful.

There was a change last year of which you should be aware. The MOD waiver on many insurance policies meant not having to pay the additional insurance. That in itself is no longer sufficient and you need to apply to Stirke for an MOD waiver certifcate. You also need to do so if you plan to make more regular visits to the same MOD airport. For casual use you can still pay the additional insurance. I assume (and that was the implication at Brize) the same policy applies to all MOD facilities but maybe check in advance.

FullyFlapped
17th May 2004, 14:05
Thanks for all this guys, very interesting and I think I'll be paying some of these places a visit before long !

FF :ok:

Chilli Monster
17th May 2004, 15:28
Fees are about £8 for a light GA type

Sorry - wrong. Fees are approx £9.20 (haven't got the latest figures with me) per 500kg or part thereof (based on MTOW), plus VAT at 17.5%, plus casual user insurance fee (was £8.50, don't know latest figure) if you haven't got Crown indemnity.

So - PA28 is going to cost £32.40 plus insurance if you need to pay that.

A and C
17th May 2004, 17:54
If you pick up more than 120 LTS of fuel at the current MoD rate the landing is efectively free as the fuel is very well priced !.

Chilli Monster
17th May 2004, 19:51
I'd have to pick up a lot more fuel than that probably ;) (2360 kg / 670 litres useable fuel)

StrateandLevel
17th May 2004, 20:57
Most MOD airfields don't have AVGAS!

Skylark4
17th May 2004, 22:13
Those that have University Air Squadrons do have AVGAS. Those are the little white Grob 115E aircraft. Benson, Colerne, Wyton, Boscombe Down for example. Check before arriving though as the fuel may not be available to you. It's a funny arrangement and the AVGAS bowser may be operated by Civvies who are not required to sevice you. At Benson we will do it but a request through Ops the day before is highly reccommended.

Mike W

left_hand_drive
18th May 2004, 11:11
You would be welcome at Coltishall at weekends when the flying club is operating, providing you contact Station Ops during the week beforehand and a call to the flying club would be welcomed. You will most likely have to fax them with proof of sufficient insurance.

Avgas is also available via the flying club but again this is not at MOD rates.

lhd

holyflyer
18th May 2004, 12:21
Brize Norton usually very welcoming. Have had the experience of trundling down Brize's approach in an AA5 with a Tristar right down wind and a C-17 left down wind and ATC egging me on against a strong headwind - incredible patience by ATC was much appreciated.

Power Up
18th May 2004, 21:57
Can also vouch for Brize, did a little flying there a couple of years back.

There are a number of civilian schools operated by the RAF (with some great rates) - I belive the RAF are proactive in this venture - non profit training / sfh. But if they have a club, they will have avgas. For example Brize. I know there are some restrictions for joining club though (ie. member of armed forces, or one of the cadet organisations)

In Altissimus
19th May 2004, 08:46
Conversely - there is a flying club at Mona, but no AvGas. The flying club is civilian - and it's trivial to hop to Caernarfon for fuel.

I've used Mona a few times and always been made very welcome (maybe Welsh-speaking friends & relatives help...) and it's really very good value. Slap bang in the middle of Anglesey next to the A55 so ideal for anywhere on the island really.

Iechyd da!

Whipping Boy's SATCO
19th May 2004, 10:16
Talking about RAF flying clubs, there are one or two (certainly one in the West Midlands) who would be willing to lease back medium perf touring ac at good rates. Its something I may be interested in since this would offer cheap/free hangarage, more caring hirers(?) etc. I only need to find a few others who would invest in something like a DA40TDi or a high end PA28.

Daifly
19th May 2004, 19:02
RAF Colerne is one of the more interesting places - ideal for Bath and they are actively marketing it (at the moment it's a UAS base and nothing more).

Helpful bunch but, conversely, no JET-A1!

Overall though RAF bases are invariably helpful. The major Fighter bases are usually a bit more restrictive. After all, don't you know there's a war on!?

md 600 driver
21st May 2004, 06:21
i landed and parked at cottesmore just after the boys went to irac there was no problems at all

steve

BEagle
21st May 2004, 06:48
To visit Brize, you must contact Station Operations, not the Flying Club! Only Stn Ops can approve your visit; however, the Flying Club can probably sell you fuel if you need it - but not at MoD rates.

Beware of parking charges if you stay more than a couple of hours. A friend flew over in his Yak 18 a couple of years ago and stayed for about 3 hours - the visit cost him over £40 in fees.....

Whipping Boy's SATCO
21st May 2004, 08:58
BEagle, do serving military pilots still qualify for any sort of discount?

BEagle
21st May 2004, 10:18
Whipping Boy's SATCO - commanders (whether service or civilian) of RAF FCA-operated aircraft would be charged for fuel at a lower rate than owners of other civil a/c - even if they were QSPs.

A RAF FCA-operated a/c is one which is generally available for hire by members of a Service Flying Club, subject to conditions imposed by the owner, or one which has been promulgated by RAF FCA as being used by a RAF FCA member for Club business.