PDA

View Full Version : SafetyCom

MBX35
12th May 2004, 19:50
I believe the CAA is consulting on the introduction of a common use frequency to be used at non radio airstrips for safety related circuit position reports. Does anyone have any further information on time scales and actual frequency?

wrecker
15th May 2004, 09:51
There definatley seems to be a lack of information on this subject.
I would have thought the befifits of such a frequency speak for them selves

MBX35
20th May 2004, 19:43
I was suprised how little response this post recieved. I would have thought a Unicom type facility for the UK would have been well recieved

Clive J
20th May 2004, 21:21
Safetycom has been worked up by the PFA, its is as described above and is said to be available for the start of the flying season.

So that should be soon......

The PFA chairman has said it is not a chat fequency so no chatting on it, you know like there is no chatting on the Micro frequency and there wasn't on 123.4 (now Notamed as not for chat) or 118.00

I think its a great idea and a victory for common sense.

The PFA kept it a secret as that's what they do but the end result is good.

I'm sure there will be some chat on it but if used sensibly it will be a great aid to many, apart from those who need to be hooked up to an agency for every flying minute of course.

Rattus
21st May 2004, 00:08
So what is the frequency?
Our flying season started the day after the last one ended, and it would indeed be useful to know what everybody else is up to.

Aussie Andy
21st May 2004, 06:45
Excellent idea indeed! So, what's the gen on the frequency? Is it officially sanctioned other than by PFA?

Andy

FNG
21st May 2004, 07:05
I used the microlight frequency once. It was non-stop chat and banter . Quite jolly, but I'm not sure of the safety value ("eh, Colin, is that you in the blue trike in front?"). The French unicom seems to work well, with little chatter.

MBX35
23rd May 2004, 06:32
I gather that when the consultation proccess is completed and/if approved The frequency and usage will be officially promulgated. I guess by notam or AIC. But I'm not holding my breath.

The Nr Fairy
23rd May 2004, 09:11
Excellent idea - as long as users don't "chat and banter", but allow its use for proper safety co-ordination, so much the better.

And one minor point of correction - isn't the "unofficial" frequency 123.45, cos I think Lyneham (123.40) would have noticed !