PDA

View Full Version : Naples incident (near crash, two a/c at opposite ends of RW)

railwaysengineer
28th Apr 2004, 06:12
Just found this (sorry, in german):
http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,297271,00.html
Two jets at the opposite ends of runway, one managed to abort t/o when he got visual contact to the other one at the other end.

Oshkosh George
28th Apr 2004, 19:47
I managed to translate that with the aid of my Google toolbar.

I sincerely hope the Italians improve their ATC by the time I fly into Ciampino next month! I'd rather like to come home again.

strake
28th Apr 2004, 19:53
I urgently echo your concerns on the basis I am due in on Sunday......

janpieter
29th Apr 2004, 01:00
Oshkosh George,

Just ask twice for a confirmation before lining up and enjoy the excellent pizza's and pasta's

:-)

HotDog
2nd May 2004, 02:14
Translation: The Air One jet had takeoff clearance when he observed an Alitalia MD-80 holding at the other end of the runway. The takeoff was aborted without further incident.

The same news article reports a Ukrainian airline, Aeroswit 737-500 skidding off the runway sideways, 250 meters into the takeoff run at Moscow Sheremetjevo airport. No injuries.

Skunkie
2nd May 2004, 04:09
as I could understand from news on italian tg, they where not on opposite runway. Airone was taking off from the beginning of the runway and clear to take off, while MD-80 was authorized to line up and wait on the same runway from another taxiway further.
This is whayt television reported showing the maps,, then no more infos at all....Alitalia strike maybe has been considered much more important than a trivial abort take of!!!!!
Anyway I've seen the new only once, maybe they changed version, but on italian TV they never mentioned it anymore.

despegue
3rd May 2004, 11:39
The captain of the Air One B737 was Belgian and ex-Sabena/ ex-Sobelair by the way. Nice start of his Italian career!
( He truly is a nice chap and a great aviator, a sure asset for Air One!)

Kalium Chloride
3rd May 2004, 12:09
The same news article reports a Ukrainian airline, Aeroswit 737-500 skidding off the runway...

It's not wrong...

http://www.avtodom.ru/auto/gallery/data/500/4182IMG_1781-med.JPG